Back To The 70's

Many thanks bods, 16track, magaling and gadalej for attending the CD exchange EB. I had a wonderful time kahit hindi pa ko nag-lunch nung magkita tayo:thumbsupsmiley: I'm listening to the Al Jarreau CD right now. Galing-galing. Namiss ko yung Circus Band CD and yung iba pa. Di bale meron pa namang next time. Saan tayo meet next week? Sa Omakase ba?

I'll bring copies of Voyage (souvenirs, from east to west, etc), EWFs Gratittude and JC Superstar kung gusto nyo.

Sem break na and Octoberfest. We used to spend the sembreak hotel hopping and siempre Baguio!!! Miss ko na ang John Hay. Yun na lang ang maganda sa Baguio ngayon.

Storm:

Bro, pa reserve nung EWF Gratitud emo. heheh! Tagal ko na din hanap yan.

I already burned you a copy of the Circus band CD and will do the smae for Frampton.

Yup, lets have another CD exchange soon!

Many thanks bods, 16track, magaling and gadalej for attending the CD exchange EB. I had a wonderful time kahit hindi pa ko nag-lunch nung magkita tayo:thumbsupsmiley: I'm listening to the Al Jarreau CD right now. Galing-galing. Namiss ko yung Circus Band CD and yung iba pa. Di bale meron pa namang next time. Saan tayo meet next week? Sa Omakase ba?

I'll bring copies of Voyage (souvenirs, from east to west, etc), EWFs Gratittude and JC Superstar kung gusto nyo.

Sem break na and Octoberfest. We used to spend the sembreak hotel hopping and siempre Baguio!!! Miss ko na ang John Hay. Yun na lang ang maganda sa Baguio ngayon.

I think the CD exchange was a good exercise! We certainly got copies of songs that we have not heard in a long time.

I agree that we should a part of it. Perhaps more can join up to make it even better.

To those who were not there, please do make it for the next time it comes around as it is all clean fun!

=============================================================================

Sus, now lang ako nakatayo ng matino. Sa kinaramirami ng araw dun pa ako tinding nilagnat! Iba na matanda, tagal gumaling hahaha. Ok...when will be the next EB Exchange? Guys, meron ba kayong yung "Friends of Mine"? I like that Jesus Christ Superstar, yung original version. So....pwuede bang magbigay ako ng MP3? What songs na gusto nyo? baka meron ako ditong natatago.

boss 16track, burn me a copy of circus band din.

i suggest we make omakase a semi-permanent venue for our cd exchanges. this way we promote our friend's place, we give him business and for all the other's who will join us, very predictable na kung saan tayo. and we can make it a monthly affair para consistent. pwede rin we can make sure that for that day, puro 70s ang music sa venue. talagang may theme na tayo. and if evenings to, pwede na natin itodo trip natin na dapat may getup tayo na 70s.

what do you guys think?

Edited by gadalej

John Hay really reminds me of the 70's too... as kids we used to go there and the memory that will never fade is the smell of the freshly grilling hash browns in the 19th tee... complete with the super mayabang and masungit pinay cashiers speaking with american accents... hahahaha!!!!

galing!

Kaso ngayon with all the koreans there, hindi na sya CAMP JOHN HAY.... KIM JOHN HAY na sya ngayon! hahahaha!!

Edited by ElRey

Hi 16Track. :)

Thank you for the Circus Band CD :thumbsupsmiley: ..... Pinoy_Strigoi & I can barely concentrate on work.. :rolleyes: The CD, and most specially your visit to our office this morning is truly appreciated... we enjoyed your good company (and hopefully, you enjoyed our good coffee ;) ) ..you are always welcome to come visit us anytime...perhaps, next time, Lunch ?

Does anybody know the whereabouts of the Circus Band members?? Share naman. I have always been a big fan of the band.

Edited by augustmoon

Circus Band members:

Gerry Paraiso - piano

Boy Katindig - organ

Rudy Lozano - lead guitar

Walter Calinawan - drums/percussions (passed away in early 90s)

Jerry Gamboa - bass guitar

The singers:

Tillie Moreno

Didith Reyes (for a short while)

Ceres Jacinto

Jacqui Magno

Pat Castillo

Henry Tongson

Richard Tan (later renamed Tann)

Basil Valdez

Hajji Alejandro

Pabs Dadivas

Dani Boogie (also became the band percussionist)

The group was managed by Atek Jacinto.

Basil Valdez

http://www.workspresso.com/20070601%20edit...t/feature3.html

Tillie Moreno

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillie_Moreno

Didith Reyes

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1347269/bio

Hajji Alejandro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajji_Alejandro

Thanks for the info about the Circus Bandmembers Hitman531ph.

Augustmoon and I have been listening to the Circus CD trying to figuure out the lead vocals for every song. we couldnt discern well enough to be sure except for a couple of songs except those of Pabs, Tillie and that of Richard Tan. We still couldnt identify which has Basil as lead vocals. Noticed that all the singers (of Circus Band) really enunciate the kyrics of the song(s) very well...unlike the present crop of singers who eat their words.

Edited by pinoy_strigoi

@Pinoy: If I remember that cd correctly, Basil was on lead vocals in "The Harder I Try" and "Wildflower"....

Memorable sa akin yung "The Harder I Try" because I sang that in one of our school programs in HS. I invited my gf from a nearby girls school. Big mistake as it turned out. Nagaway pa kami because of that.

Not sure if Basil was from SBCHS (or was it just Hadji?). If he were, he might have gotten the idea of including a "Michel Legrand Medley" in his early-80s Corner of the Sky album from the glee club where the medley is one of the staple songs in the late 70s. Of course with some differences in arrangement like the glee club version starts with words from "Windmills of My Mind" instead of the second stanza from "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" and so on....

Michel Legrand was a very poetic composer. Definitely one of my all-time favorites. :goatee:

Edited by Magaling

I'll burn a few more Circus Band Cds for the others.

I'm okay with another CD exchange meet.

Perhaps, somebody can take the lead in organizing it?

Nowadays, such a high level of Musicianship as displayed in the Circus CD is quite common with so many good artists around -- but we have to remember that Circus Band was already that good even way back then when most bands were content with just trying to sound "Plakado".

At that time, Circus Band was already trying to have better arrangements suited to each vocalist, more varied line up of songs and creating their own sound despite doing covers.

pinoy_strigoi and augustmoon-- thanks as well!!! Lunch next time around sounds fine!

Edited by 16track

i just bought circus band last night sa quiapo. putcha! kick ass parin! i also bought boy katindig and maria cafra.

if you guys would like anything, post nyo lang. one day magiikot ako sa quiapo recto area para maghanap lang ng cds. isasabay ko na kayo. no hassle to kasi malapit lang ako. cheap pa dito, Php.25.00 lang kaya no problem. all orders to be delivered on the next cd exchange.

Edited by gadalej

that Circus CD was great, but unfortunately it does not have their version of the Stones' GIMME SHELTER, which has remained a personal favorite. Simply can't forget the voices of Tillie and others as they repeatedly sang the choruse with the lines, "...it's just a shot away/it's just a shot away.....". Anyway this is a minor quibble and that CD has become quite a staple of my player now ever since I got it from 16t...

photographer - I will make you a CD with FRIENDS OF MINE, but what other songs would you like. Gusto mo ba selections, or pure Guess Who CD? Thanks..

Anybody wants a CD of great 70's Rock Drum Performances? Think a selection of Moby Dick, Santana's Soul Sacrifice, Grand Funk's TNUC, Cream's TOAD, Blind Faith's DO WHAT YOU LIKE, etc...

Nakatuwaan ko lang mag-compile ng ganito...Just advise and I will bring copies next time...

Laid down low with fever and throat's acting up - baka hindi ako makalabas pa for the next week. As out dear friend photographer said, mahirap na talaga ang tumatanda hehehe....

that Circus CD was great, but unfortunately it does not have their version of the Stones' GIMME SHELTER, which has remained a personal favorite. Simply can't forget the voices of Tillie and others as they repeatedly sang the choruse with the lines, "...it's just a shot away/it's just a shot away.....". Anyway this is a minor quibble and that CD has become quite a staple of my player now ever since I got it from 16t...

photographer - I will make you a CD with FRIENDS OF MINE, but what other songs would you like. Gusto mo ba selections, or pure Guess Who CD? Thanks..

Anybody wants a CD of great 70's Rock Drum Performances? Think a selection of Moby Dick, Santana's Soul Sacrifice, Grand Funk's TNUC, Cream's TOAD, Blind Faith's DO WHAT YOU LIKE, etc...

Nakatuwaan ko lang mag-compile ng ganito...Just advise and I will bring copies next time...

Laid down low with fever and throat's acting up - baka hindi ako makalabas pa for the next week. As out dear friend photographer said, mahirap na talaga ang tumatanda hehehe....

================================================================================

======

Sige, please. Have not heard FRIENDS OF MINE song for the past 30+ years na. Last time I heard it was when I still have the 45rpm pero hiniram then di na sinoli together with other 70 hits. Radio stations including that of RJ does not even play the song na. Selections lang. I miss/like also songs of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, Whole lotta love, and, I forgot na its title, yung parang howling na pang horror hahaha. yung ganito: ahaaahaaaaaa ha! : - )

I have tons of collections here from the 70s in MP3, ano ba gusto nyo? Baka meron ako.

Same here, napansin ko nga, tagal akong gumaling kapag nagkasakit. dati fever, maski high fever, one day lang, now umaabot ng 3 days, di naman malaria or dengue hehehe (walang dengue nuon......H-fever meron)

Does anybody have First Cuckoo and Artistry ni Deodato?

Other CDs I'm looking for are Rough & Ready by Jeff Beck Group, In the Slot by Tower of Power.

Guys exactly how do you exchange mp3s when you meet? Do you bring a cd burner or the CDs are ready made for handing out? I'm back in town and I got quite a lot of goodies in my machine, I'd love to share it out on the next opportunity.

Sliderule:

We handed the CDs ready for play na.

I'm looking for Rough and Ready too however, I do have Jeff Beck's other landmark effort called "BLOW BY BLOW" which has the monster instrumental classic "Freeway Jam" in it.

I have a couple of Deodato's albums. I'll if what you wnt is there.

Other CDs I'm looking for are Rough & Ready by Jeff Beck Group, In the Slot by Tower of Power.

Guys exactly how do you exchange mp3s when you meet? Do you bring a cd burner or the CDs are ready made for handing out? I'm back in town and I got quite a lot of goodies in my machine, I'd love to share it out on the next opportunity.

My only Deodato is "Love Island" with the songs: (1) Area Code 808 (2) Whistle Bump (3) Tahiti Hut (4) San Juan Sunset (5) Love Island (6) Chariot Of The Gods (7) Pina Colada and (8) Take The A Train

If anyone wants a copy, I'd gladly burn it for the next cd exchange.

We handed the CDs ready for play na.

I'm looking for Rough and Ready too however, I do have Jeff Beck's other landmark effort called "BLOW BY BLOW" which has the monster instrumental classic "Freeway Jam" in it.

16track: Thanks for the Jeff Beck and Clapton cds. Humaba na naman buhok ko! To me, it was a rediscovery.

Pards favor lang. Can you please list down the song titles in the Lost Jams cd? I must admit I'm not so familiar with most of the tunes but they're really good and I kept playing them in my car. :thumbsupsmiley: Thanks again.

================================================================================

======

Sige, please. Have not heard FRIENDS OF MINE song for the past 30+ years na. Last time I heard it was when I still have the 45rpm pero hiniram then di na sinoli together with other 70 hits. Radio stations including that of RJ does not even play the song na. Selections lang. I miss/like also songs of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, Whole lotta love, and, I forgot na its title, yung parang howling na pang horror hahaha. yung ganito: ahaaahaaaaaa ha! : - )

I have tons of collections here from the 70s in MP3, ano ba gusto nyo? Baka meron ako.

Same here, napansin ko nga, tagal akong gumaling kapag nagkasakit. dati fever, maski high fever, one day lang, now umaabot ng 3 days, di naman malaria or dengue hehehe (walang dengue nuon......H-fever meron)

done deal, pare! I'll make some selections of 70s nuggets for you (including those from LEd Zep).

Buti nga sayo 3 days lang - ako pawala pa lang fever more than 3 days na!

welcome back pare! Is that BULLITT I see in the background? hehehe

hope you can join us next time...

16track: Thanks for the Jeff Beck and Clapton cds. Humaba na naman buhok ko! To me, it was a rediscovery.

Pards favor lang. Can you please list down the song titles in the Lost Jams cd? I must admit I'm not so familiar with most of the tunes but they're really good and I kept playing them in my car. :thumbsupsmiley: Thanks again.

sige pare, i'll post the comlete info of the lost jams cd, including the guest artists. yun ang pamatay dun. like in layla and behind the mask, it was elton john on piano, phil collins on drums, mark knopfler on rythm guitars and kasey kasson on backup vocals.

Hi Magaling!

Thanks too! The Clapton lost Jams did not come from me. It was from Gadalej.

The Wired album was the one I handed over to you.

Cheers!

:thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by 16track