Back To The 70's

Well , for all those who mentioned "60's yun"

Well, I do believe I already made it very clear in my post that the many of the musicals I mentioned were "MADE EARLIER" but that many of us saw them in the 70's.

Of course, I know that they were made prior to the 70's -- sino ba hindi nakaka alam non???

Very same case with the TV series "COMBAT" with Vic Morrow. Nobody made side remarks to it when we discussed it here --EVEN IF IT WAS A SERIES MADE IN 1962.

TO quote:

heheh! I recently saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on TV the other week and just a few days ago, Sound of Music was also on.

Hmmmm.. anybody care to share/ discuss Musicals we saw in the 70's? I know many of them were made earlier but I'm guessing most of us saw them in the 70's as well.

Edited by 16track
sgt pepper's lonely hearts club band starred peter frampton and the bee gees. it also featured aerosmith and george burns.

IMHO it was terrible, parang pilit ang story - kinuha sa title song. even the names of the characters are from the songs. at least the music is tolerable.

One of the few cuts I like in the soundtrack was Aerosmith's take on "Come Together". To some extent, EWF's "Got to Get You Into My Life" but only because I'm a huge EWF fan. Other than that, I would tend to agree with you pards. Frampton was not at his best here, the Bee Gees were already over-exposed by this time and oh well...

Anyway, girls loved that movie though. Believe it or not, I still ended up watching it thrice on three separate occasions. Geez...

HAIR, but I think I saw this in the 80s na. If you remember in the good old elementary days in Pasig, pag may magandang palabas sa sinehan, all elementary students would troop to the cinema (Pasig Theatre I think) together with the teachers. And this is on a school day - official school activity. That's when we saw CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, Finian's Rainbow and Brother Sun Sister Moon.

@bods: This reminds me that you are a kumbento boy! Lucky you. Madaming maganda dyan sa katabi nyong school hahaha. IMHO, Buen Consejo has got to be one of Metro Manila's best kept secrets :thumbsupsmiley:. I have friends there mostly from GS '76 HS '80....we may have some common friends?

PS. So madalas ka rin mag-meryenda ng pansit kay Mang Ado? Bumili ng tinapay sa Dimasalang bakery?

Jesus Christ Superstar was my most memorable. Grade 6 ako nun sa Ateneo. One thing about growing up in Katipunan, they teach you how to appreciate yung performing arts. We looked forward to those annual plays which were almost always musicals. The last play (directed by the tireless "Mr Singson" which to this day still run Ateneo Childrens Theatre yata) we had before out batch graduated was Joseph's and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, brings back haunting memories kasi kasama din namin mga counterparts namin sa Maryknoll hehehe wow that was so long ago.

Back to JCS...I wore out the LP of that one. Every song is memorable and we all knew them by heart. My favorite scene was when a couple of jet fighter planes swooped on Judas.....Soooo looooong Juuuudas.....pooooor oooold Juuuudas....

remember mike de leon's 'kakabakaba ka ba ?' released in 1980 there was a musical number at the end of the film na I think was made in the style of 'Hair'

i still have the LP of Jesus Christ Superstar , both broadway and movie version. the musical number of king herod was added only in the movie version, wala kasi yung musical number na yun sa broadway LP. the lyrics goes like this...'I am overjoyed to meet you face to face. You've been getting quite a name all around the place. Healing criples. Raising from the dead. And now I understand you're God? At least, that's what you've said.So, you are the Christ, you're the great Jesus Christ.Prove to me that you're devine; change my water into wine.' ...that was a fun number sang by a homosexual king herod...parang charleston tempo of the 20s

anybody remember Leif Garrett ? diba kamukha sya ni peter frampton. teenage idol of the 70s Leif Garrett, I remember he guested in Student Canteen (eddie ilarde, bobby ledesma helen vela). the only movie i remember with remember leif garrett was francis ford coppola's 'the outsiders' ...patay agad sya sa movie early on hehehe

Magaling:

Heheh! bro! I am very familiar with Ado's and Dimasalang. The breadin Dimasalang is still womderful.

Too bad that the old El Pasig Bakery closed down after lording it over everyone else in the 60's and 70's.

Believe it or not but Ado's now has a delivery service- with a minimum of Php500.

Pancit lomi Special favorite ko don. Been going there since as Far Back as I can remember.

PS. So madalas ka rin mag-meryenda ng pansit kay Mang Ado? Bumili ng tinapay sa Dimasalang bakery?

Sliderule:

Yeh, got that LP as well.

My favorite song there was "STRANGE THING MYSTIFYING: when Judas was trying to put down Mary Magdalene in front of everyone else. That line where he sings out:

"Yes, I can understand that she amuses,

But to let her kiss you, stroke your hair, that's hardly in your line."

Heheh!

Now that you mentioned it.. I have always liked the Knoll girls.

Jesus Christ Superstar was my most memorable. Grade 6 ako nun sa Ateneo. One thing about growing up in Katipunan, they teach you how to appreciate yung performing arts. We looked forward to those annual plays which were almost always musicals. The last play (directed by the tireless "Mr Singson" which to this day still run Ateneo Childrens Theatre yata) we had before out batch graduated was Joseph's and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, brings back haunting memories kasi kasama din namin mga counterparts namin sa Maryknoll hehehe wow that was so long ago.

Back to JCS...I wore out the LP of that one. Every song is memorable and we all knew them by heart. My favorite scene was when a couple of jet fighter planes swooped on Judas.....Soooo looooong Juuuudas.....pooooor oooold Juuuudas....

Edited by 16track
Well , for all those who mentioned "60's yun"

Well, I do believe I already made it very clear in my post that the many of the musicals I mentioned were "MADE EARLIER" but that many of us saw them in the 70's.

Of course, I know that they were made prior to the 70's -- sino ba hindi nakaka alam non???

Very same case with the TV series "COMBAT" with Vic Morrow. Nobody made side remarks to it when we discussed it here --EVEN IF IT WAS A SERIES MADE IN 1962.

TO quote:

heheh! I recently saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on TV the other week and just a few days ago, Sound of Music was also on.

Hmmmm.. anybody care to share/ discuss Musicals we saw in the 70's? I know many of them were made earlier but I'm guessing most of us saw them in the 70's as well.

Yes I mentioned nga Betamax which came out in late 70s and my father loves musicals so we were able to watch the following movies, some of which were laser copies kaya mas malinaw.

1. South Pacific

2. American in Paris

3. Gigi

4. Can Can ?

5. My Fair lady

6. Singing in the Rain

7. The King and I

8. Carousel

9. Fiddler on the Roof

10. The Wizard of Oz

11. Camelot

Hinhanap ko yung movie na Turning Point tsaka History of the World Part 1

Hi Storm!

Bro, I like your list-- specially Camelot. Are there copies of this pa ba?

I recently got a VCD of Fiddler on the Roof and it was a blast to watch it again. Singing in the Rain is also availabe locally.

South Pacific has an excellent soundtrack too!

Yes I mentioned nga Betamax which came out in late 70s and my father loves musicals so we were able to watch the following movies, some of which were laser copies kaya mas malinaw.

1. South Pacific

2. American in Paris

3. Gigi

4. Can Can ?

5. My Fair lady

6. Singing in the Rain

7. The King and I

8. Carousel

9. Fiddler on the Roof

10. The Wizard of Oz

11. Camelot

Hinhanap ko yung movie na Turning Point tsaka History of the World Part 1

One of the few cuts I like in the soundtrack was Aerosmith's take on "Come Together". To some extent, EWF's "Got to Get You Into My Life" but only because I'm a huge EWF fan. Other than that, I would tend to agree with you pards. Frampton was not at his best here, the Bee Gees were already over-exposed by this time and oh well...

Anyway, girls loved that movie though. Believe it or not, I still ended up watching it thrice on three separate occasions. Geez...

@bods: This reminds me that you are a kumbento boy! Lucky you. Madaming maganda dyan sa katabi nyong school hahaha. IMHO, Buen Consejo has got to be one of Metro Manila's best kept secrets :thumbsupsmiley:. I have friends there mostly from GS '76 HS '80....we may have some common friends?

yes pare, we have had occasion to discuss this Pasig connection several years back here in MTC di ba hehehe...

Wag mo nang ipaglakasan ang 'kumbento boy' at parang kinikilabutan nako dyan... yes that defunct CBC had a lot of pretty girls and I got starry-eyed every time I saw the girls there on our way home. Dun nga sa soiree namin with the 3rd year girls nagkabalubaluktot dila ko eh and daming maganda na nakita ko sa wakas nang malapitan - ayun wala tuloy naiskor hehehe...Baka nga may common friends tayo - I may be familiar with the Batch 76 there..

Yes - Ado's Panciteria is still alive and well after all these years - medyo sumikat na nga ito sa buong Metro Manila eh.

The pancit is still to die for - reminds me to go there sometime - the place has not changed. No not Dimasalang. Dun kami sa El Pasig Bakery and La Espesyal - mga classmates ko kasi may-ari nito hehehe...

Daming LPs sa Marikina Shoe Expo Cubao. Merong 3 for P100. Malilinis pa yung iba. Masara din yung mga kainan sa loob. maybe we can have a lunch eb there and take a look at the LPs.

Bought about 20 LPs. Problem is wala pa kong turn table.

I can help you there pare hehehe...

I think I also have Mel Brooks' History of the World Part 1. Also some Monty Python (Life of Brian)...Bellini's is a favorite there - medyo hilarious nga lang mga waiters dun. May isa salita ng salita ng Italian hehehe...but the food is superb...

Hi Storm!

Bro, I like your list-- specially Camelot. Are there copies of this pa ba?

I recently got a VCD of Fiddler on the Roof and it was a blast to watch it again. Singing in the Rain is also availabe locally.

South Pacific has an excellent soundtrack too!

Wala akong copy ng Camelot, Can Can and Carousel. Yung iba, meron akong DVD. Hahanapin ko lang.

I think I also have Mel Brooks' History of the World Part 1. Also some Monty Python (Life of Brian)...Bellini's is a favorite there - medyo hilarious nga lang mga waiters dun. May isa salita ng salita ng Italian hehehe...but the food is superb...

Kailan pare?

O ano mga pards? EB na sa Cubao?

Slide... :cool: My most memorable..... Ibong Adarna... Peter Pan...for Pinoi... mga first crushes; idol-worship (sa mga lead players) our first experiences in harmless flirting.... ;)

Remember the Jail booth / Marriage Booth / Dedication Booth at the AGS Feast of the Guardian Angels yearly fair ??? ....

Some of the most influential movies came out of the 70s.

JAWS - it made everyone think twice about going to the beach and gave people the awareness of what sharks can do

STAR WARS - it changed the way science fiction and special effects are presented..forever.

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER - immortalized the disco era on film

THE GODFATHER (Parts 1 & 2) - changed the way mob movies were made..forever

THE FRENCH CONNECTION - changed the way car chase scenes were made..forever

SUPERMAN - you never saw a comic book superhero this way before and immortalized the late Christopher Reeve

THE EXORCIST - you never saw a demon at its worst before Father Merrin... and a 360 degree head twisting too

Edited by hitman531ph

Laughing trip ito sir. Dito ba yung parody nila ng Last Supper where Mel Brooks would exclaim : Jesus!!! Tapos sasagutin siya : Yes?

Tapos paulit-ulit nilang ginawa?

Also remember Young Frankenstein.