Back To The 70's

Makikigulo lang po ang isang hamak na 80s kid na pinanganak nung 70s. ^_^

Can I invite myself if I'll bring a working turntable? Hehehe.... :lol:

You mean to say you have a turntable at home? Is it your dad's or an elder brother's?

Maybe you still got some LPs there hehehe storm might want to buy them hehehe...

I actually have one at home and it's storm I have been pushing to buy one for himself. But as things stand,yes you're most welcome to join us, with TT or none...

pare ang dami nang TV sa bahay nyo - what we need for a good celebration is a workable TT. Sige na, pare - naka ready na ang mga plaka kong dadalhin ko dyan hehehe

Come to think of it, you're right. Dami ko ng TV plus yung malaking LCD projector. Pero nabili ko na eh. Ako lang kasi ang audiophile sa bahay while the rest are videophiles. Ang ganda ng blu-ray :thumbsupsmiley: . Pati yung mga 24 in 1 DVd napapaganda nya :P Minsan, kanya-kanya kaming panood. Walang istorbohan. Hehehe.

Maybe I'll buy an entry level turn table.

We just came from Bohol. It was our first time there. Grabe, ang clear ng water everywhere. That's the beauty of lack of industrialization. Walang gaanong toxic waste except for human waste. Para kong naalala ang Malabon when we were kids.

I love the movie and the soundtrack!

I won't mind giving you CD copies of the soundtrack if you want.

I had so much fun reading augustmoon's and storm's posts. I was about to enter grade school when the 70s gave way to the 80s but I grew up spending weekends at Good Earth Emporium (loved their chicken liver spaghetti - and that's one of the reasons why I love chicken liver up until now), watching movies at Escolta, buying shoes at ShoeMart Carriedo and clothes at Arcega's. I remember throwing tantrums at Alemars when my mom refused to buy me those one peso Nancy Drew books.

I remember celebrations at Max's Scout Tuazon and we used to eat a lot at the Kentucky Fried Chicken at Bonanza (we lived near that place during that time). They used to serve their food in steel oval plates and my baby brother would cry every time he'd hear those clinking and screeching knife sounds. And yes, I grew up on Klim, Chocolait, Daisy milk in tetra paks, Serg's chocolates and my favorite, Horlicks (bakit wala na dito pero meron sa Singapore?).

I'm still a sucker for those 70s songs with beautiful lyrics and melodies. ^_^

Hi Doc!!! Welcome to our thread. Join us sa EB next week. Please text me or pm me your cel number. Nabura kasi.

We also have a CD/DVD exchange in our EBs. We'll keep you posted.

I love the movie and the soundtrack!

I won't mind giving you CD copies of the soundtrack if you want.

I had so much fun reading augustmoon's and storm's posts. I was about to enter grade school when the 70s gave way to the 80s but I grew up spending weekends at Good Earth Emporium (loved their chicken liver spaghetti - and that's one of the reasons why I love chicken liver up until now), watching movies at Escolta, buying shoes at ShoeMart Carriedo and clothes at Arcega's. I remember throwing tantrums at Alemars when my mom refused to buy me those one peso Nancy Drew books.

I remember celebrations at Max's Scout Tuazon and we used to eat a lot at the Kentucky Fried Chicken at Bonanza (we lived near that place during that time). They used to serve their food in steel oval plates and my baby brother would cry every time he'd hear those clinking and screeching knife sounds. And yes, I grew up on Klim, Chocolait, Daisy milk in tetra paks, Serg's chocolates and my favorite, Horlicks (bakit wala na dito pero meron sa Singapore?).

I'm still a sucker for those 70s songs with beautiful lyrics and melodies. ^_^

Hi Mwah.. I remember GE's chicken liver spaghetti ! - but not as fondly as you do ..:-(. I do remember the T-Bone steak with loads of gravy in a hotplate of Bonanza ..i still have a burn scar in my left hand to remind me of it.

Have fun re-living the 70's in this thread. Its as good as it gets.

Horlicks? I remember that! Used to be sold like tablets, di ba? Chocolate/malted flavored with the brown label and red cap in a medicine bottle. I think I last saw it back when I was in Grade 3. Other childdhood favorites are Chivalry squid and Cow Label dried beef. Still available in some supermarkets.

Yun nga! Pretty much like the present-day Ovalteenies but yummier. Available pa rin yung Chivalry squid and Cow label dried beef? Haven't seen those for such a long time, mahanap nga.

You mean to say you have a turntable at home? Is it your dad's or an elder brother's?

Maybe you still got some LPs there hehehe storm might want to buy them hehehe...

I actually have one at home and it's storm I have been pushing to buy one for himself. But as things stand,yes you're most welcome to join us, with TT or none...

My dad's. Last time I checked, it was still working We still have those LPs hidden somewhere in our house, even those 45s. I have that Voltes V theme on 45. :lol:

Hi Doc!!! Welcome to our thread. Join us sa EB next week. Please text me or pm me your cel number. Nabura kasi.

We also have a CD/DVD exchange in our EBs. We'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the welcome. :) The CD/DVD exchange sounds exciting!

I'm actually looking for a 70s movie called "Voices" starring Amy Irving and Michael Ontkean. Was drawn to that movie when I heard its theme song. Anyway, PM'd you my number. Thanks again. ^_^

Hi Mwah.. I remember GE's chicken liver spaghetti ! - but not as fondly as you do ..:-(. I do remember the T-Bone steak with loads of gravy in a hotplate of Bonanza ..i still have a burn scar in my left hand to remind me of it.

Have fun re-living the 70's in this thread. Its as good as it gets.

Goodness! Someone actually remembers the GE chicken liver spaghetti! Nakakatuwa naman. My brother hates chicken liver but my sister and I absolutely love it. Hehehe.

Yup, I really had a great time reading through the thread. Ever visited this site? I'm pretty sure you guys would have fun browsing through this one too.

storm - see, nakalimutan ko pang banggitin yung LCD sa kwarto hehehe...pare if you have a good record player and excellent LPs I'm sure isa-isang ma-coconvert mga tao jan sa inyo to audio hehehe. Ang daming entry-level TT's - Goldring, Rega, ProJect, etc...kuha ka na!

mwah - pag sumama ka sa EB, isama mo din Dad mo. If he's an audiophile, I'm sure enjoy kaming magkwentuhan ...

Juan de la Cruz had a concert at the CCP this weekend. Anybody here who caught it. Read in an article that a sealed copy of their first album UP IN ARMS fetches a princely sum of US$1500!

Bods, saan makikita itong mga TT na binabanggit mo? Meron bang TT na may USB out?

Na mana ko (actually, hinakot ko) yun mga LP sa bahay ng parents ko and its a very eclectic collection. I don't know if anyone would remember that Ray Charles had a group called the Ray Charles Singers a la Ray Coniff or that Tony Mottola's dad also named Tony Mottola was a good classical/pop guitarist and they all were recording under the Command Records label which was considered the afficionados label. Too bad I could not find my dad's Garrard automatic TT which can play a stack of six records in one go, well at least one side of each record. Or how about those pirated Taiwan records in multicolored vinyl? I know that we had the entire gary Lewis and the Playboys somewhere in that pile. I actually still have to look through the collection and catalog it.

Does anybody still remember the hamburger at the Makati Supermart coffee shop or their spaghetti in the days before McDo and Jollibee? What about the first Coney Island Ice Cream shop in the Plaza Restaurant Building in the area where Iceberg's and Max now is in Ayala Center which used to be called the Makati Commercial Center.

sayang ngayon ko lang nabasa ito ah..

Rega is quite common - meron nito sa Shangrila - AudioVisual Driver - they give good discount if you buy the whole caboodle (player, cartridge and phono stage). Rega is a bit more preferable to the Goldring, but if you want to go the extra mile there's Nottingham, Roksan, Clearaudio (in Greenbelt Architectural Audio, Banawe Audioworld, etc)..

pare sayang mga LP mo, better rehabilitate them...

Bods, saan makikita itong mga TT na binabanggit mo? Meron bang TT na may USB out?

Na mana ko (actually, hinakot ko) yun mga LP sa bahay ng parents ko and its a very eclectic collection. I don't know if anyone would remember that Ray Charles had a group called the Ray Charles Singers a la Ray Coniff or that Tony Mottola's dad also named Tony Mottola was a good classical/pop guitarist and they all were recording under the Command Records label which was considered the afficionados label. Too bad I could not find my dad's Garrard automatic TT which can play a stack of six records in one go, well at least one side of each record. Or how about those pirated Taiwan records in multicolored vinyl? I know that we had the entire gary Lewis and the Playboys somewhere in that pile. I actually still have to look through the collection and catalog it.

Does anybody still remember the hamburger at the Makati Supermart coffee shop or their spaghetti in the days before McDo and Jollibee? What about the first Coney Island Ice Cream shop in the Plaza Restaurant Building in the area where Iceberg's and Max now is in Ayala Center which used to be called the Makati Commercial Center.

i do. if you're still hangkering for some spaghetti and hamburger (i prefer ham and egg to go with the spaghetti) go to alabang town center. Makati supermart is still open there. (weird no? makati supermart wala sa makati, nasa alabang). they still serve the old food served at the coffee shop. you can also try united supermart in greenhills. same coffeeshop, same food. pero iba yung ang pangalan ng shop Makati Supermart.

*anybody know if meron shop ala-MOTHER'S sta.mesa market now sm centerpoint. wala na pula/puti doon hehehe

*btw UR underground radio 105.9fm rocks maski mahina signal pwede na

*looking for CRUSADERS LIVE IN JAPAN 1981 CD & DEREK and the DOMINOS layla & other assorted lovesongs CD pakopya naman!

meron ako swap allman bros. band live @fillmore east 2cd copies

or deep purple live in japan 3cd...

ano ba the best ledzep beatles cd na lumabas?

miss the good ole days of tt and quadrasonic...and motels with am/fm radio ;) ;) hehehe

cheers to the flower power children of timothy leary :flowers:

Edited by tabouki

Okay talaga down memory lane. Nice post mga padres y madres.

I was in shoe expo Cubao last Tuesday and went to the antique shops there. They have an Akai Quadraphonic 4 channel amplifier for 2k, some Pioneer and Sony cassette tape recorders for that price range also. I just don't know if they're working. They have lots of vinyl LPs and cassette tapes. I grabbed some girly mags circa 1970s for human anatomy references. The girls then were more natural looking (hindi pa uso ang photoshop) and the poses were more artistic. Mas mukhang inosente. :hypocritesmiley:

Tagulan na wala pang EB.

Yes you can wash records but use only mild soap. Use lint-free cloth to wipe them out. Avoid water contact with the center paper label.

I did this to my records before and they sounded better but the snap crackle and pop does not go away 100%. It improved the sound. Locally manufactured vinyl records are made of recycled records or records which did not sell and remanufactured with the same material. Same goes for Taiwanese, Hong Kong and Singaporean made records. US, UK and German made records are better quality with way less snap crackle and pop because most of the records were made from virgin vinyl material.

I sold all my records in the 90s and in 2001. The BSR record changer that came along with the 1979 Akai Cordoba 4-Channel (quadrosonic) stereo console finally died in 2000. The Akai cassette deck that was included had a recording level, VU meters and Dolby noise reduction died in the mid 90s. It was only in 2004 that our family sold it with the AM/FM receiver still working but volume and other control knobs produced static on the speakers when adjusting.

Paano ba mag rehab ng LP? I can digitze them and then apply a snap-crackle-pop filtre on the digital audio file but that does not fix the LP. Pwede ba labhan ang mga ito as in soap and water and a soft sponge?

hitman is correct. I do the same procedure but some records, especially local records, are way beyond this procedure na. Ganun pa din ang tunog nila. Yung madami nang scratches are hopeless. Maganda lang to dun sa may mga smudges, embedded dirt etc...In fact in England I heard of a guy using a glue resin (pero hindi siya elmer's glue - I forgot the name) wherein he applies the resinous glue to the whole record, waits for it to dry to a hard substance then lifts off the whole substance. He says tanggal daw lahat ng dumi kahit yung mga nakabaon nang malalim. still have to try it though..

Anyone remember the jazz fusion band Seawind? They were formed in 1979 and check out the photos! The other photo was taken in 2005

The lead vocalist in SEAWIND is Filipina-American PAULINE WILSON. Seawind's better-known songs were "Still in Love" and "Follow your Road".

They had a concert in 1980 81 (?) at PICC and then again more recently at the Araneta Coliseum.

Paano ba mag rehab ng LP? I can digitze them and then apply a snap-crackle-pop filtre on the digital audio file but that does not fix the LP. Pwede ba labhan ang mga ito as in soap and water and a soft sponge?

what bods and hitman said are true. you can use soap and water. you can also use alcohol in some instances.

the old philippine - made LPs are of good material, but the subsequent ones with the PARI label are lousy. notice the loose threads?

used to have a substantial collection myself. the best ones are made in the netherlands, germany and japan. scratches are beyond repair. you may just have to find another copy. but that's a different story altogether!

Anyone remember the jazz fusion band Seawind? They were formed in 1979 and check out the photos! The other photo was taken in 2005

of course! love this group. if i remember corectly, they had four albums. favorite songs are "he loves you" from the first album (blue, with a mansion on the cover, i think), and "imagine" (light the light). i think it was herbie hancock who discovered them in a club back in the mid 70s. it broke up eventually but pauline enriquez wilson went on a successful solo career. she was also lead vocalist on some of yutaka yokokura's (brazasia fame) albums. some trivia: they became lovers and they're both half pinoys; yutaka's mom is from cebu!

Nice trivia you got there.

For LPs, I buy the old ones just for the jacket. Wala pa rin akong tun table. hehehe.

I have an upcoming show on May 30 with Noni Alvarado at Galerie Hans Brumann in Greenbelt 5. Magkita-kita tayo sa opening at 6pm onwards.