Back To The 70's

i was born 1979

and i've spent most of my time in the hospital when i was a child

but i do remember seeing Marcos on the TV ..with Imelda beside him

(i was a tube baby.. since then till now)

then the rest of my growing years in the province

and all i care about was to play..doesn't care about the world..

its good to read things of the 70s..i bet its great until it last

aside from with regards to fashion & trends.. things tend to make a comeback

Edited by Aquaenigma

Studio albums

Can't Buy a Thrill (October 1972)

Countdown to Ecstasy (July 1973)

Pretzel Logic (March 1974)

Katy Lied (March 1975)

The Royal Scam (May 1976)

Aja (September 1977)

Gaucho (November 1980)

Two Against Nature (February 29, 2000)

Everything Must Go (June 10, 2003)

Live albums

Alive in America (October 17, 1995)

Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party (2000)

Also featured on

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with guests Steely Dan (2005)

Compilations

Greatest Hits (1978)

Steely Dan (1978)

Gold (1982)

Gold, Expanded Edition (1985)

A Decade of Steely Dan (January 1, 1985)

The Very Best of Steely Dan: Reelin' In The Years (1985)

The Very Best of Steely Dan: Do It Again (1987)

Citizen Steely Dan (1993)

The Best of Steely Dan: Then and Now (1993)

Showbiz Kids: The Steely Dan Story, 1972-1980 (2000)

Steely Dan: The Definitive Collection (2006)

20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: The Best of Steely Dan (2007)

Singles

1973 "Do It Again" Can't Buy a Thrill

1973 "My Old School" Countdown to Ecstasy

1973 "Reelin' in the Years" Can't Buy a Thrill

1973 "Show Biz Kids" Countdown to Ecstasy

1974 "Pretzel Logic" Pretzel Logic

1974 "Rikki Don't Lose that Number" Pretzel Logic

1975 "Black Friday" Katy Lied

1976 "Kid Charlemagne" The Royal Scam

1976 "The Fez" The Royal Scam

1976 "Haitian Divorce" The Royal Scam

1978 "Deacon Blues" Aja

1978 "Josie" Aja 26

1978 "Peg" Aja 11

1978 "FM (No Static At All)" FM (soundtrack)

1981 "Hey Nineteen" Gaucho

1981 "Time Out of Mind" Gaucho

2000 "Cousin Dupree" Two Against Nature

Tribute albums

Various Artists - No Static At All: An Instrumental Tribute To Steely Dan (2000)

The Royal Dan - A Tribute To The Genius Of Steely Dan (2006)

Various Artists - Maestros Of Cool: A Tribute To Steely Dan (2006)

Studio albums

Can't Buy a Thrill (October 1972)

Countdown to Ecstasy (July 1973)

Pretzel Logic (March 1974)

Katy Lied (March 1975)

The Royal Scam (May 1976)

Aja (September 1977)

Gaucho (November 1980)

Two Against Nature (February 29, 2000)

Everything Must Go (June 10, 2003)

Live albums

Alive in America (October 17, 1995)

Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party (2000)

Also featured on

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with guests Steely Dan (2005)

Compilations

Greatest Hits (1978)

Steely Dan (1978)

Gold (1982)

Gold, Expanded Edition (1985)

A Decade of Steely Dan (January 1, 1985)

The Very Best of Steely Dan: Reelin' In The Years (1985)

The Very Best of Steely Dan: Do It Again (1987)

Citizen Steely Dan (1993)

The Best of Steely Dan: Then and Now (1993)

Showbiz Kids: The Steely Dan Story, 1972-1980 (2000)

Steely Dan: The Definitive Collection (2006)

20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: The Best of Steely Dan (2007)

Singles

1973 "Do It Again" Can't Buy a Thrill

1973 "My Old School" Countdown to Ecstasy

1973 "Reelin' in the Years" Can't Buy a Thrill

1973 "Show Biz Kids" Countdown to Ecstasy

1974 "Pretzel Logic" Pretzel Logic

1974 "Rikki Don't Lose that Number" Pretzel Logic

1975 "Black Friday" Katy Lied

1976 "Kid Charlemagne" The Royal Scam

1976 "The Fez" The Royal Scam

1976 "Haitian Divorce" The Royal Scam

1978 "Deacon Blues" Aja

1978 "Josie" Aja 26

1978 "Peg" Aja 11

1978 "FM (No Static At All)" FM (soundtrack)

1981 "Hey Nineteen" Gaucho

1981 "Time Out of Mind" Gaucho

2000 "Cousin Dupree" Two Against Nature

Tribute albums

Various Artists - No Static At All: An Instrumental Tribute To Steely Dan (2000)

The Royal Dan - A Tribute To The Genius Of Steely Dan (2006)

Various Artists - Maestros Of Cool: A Tribute To Steely Dan (2006)

Wow man, you really know your Steely Dan ! :thumbsupsmiley:

Did someone mention a Bullit DVD?

Who has this? If possible, can I request for a copy bro? Sad to say din, I can't find Steve McQueen DVDs readily.

Thanks!

As for STEELY DAN-- big fan here as well. Got hooked when I heard Deacon Blues for the first time in high school! I was just starting out to break out from my classic rock period of playing guitar when I got thrown into the world of Dan's sophisticated brand of music -- just right after watching a band perform Steely Dan tunes at the Papillon Bar in Makati.

Anybody remember the Papillon Bar?

When Steely Dan came out, guitar players suddenly had to go searching for all those wonderful chords and progression the band was doing. Up to now, the chords I learned from their songs remain a staple in how I play.

Other than the music itself, I got so blown away by the level of musicianship paraded in Dan's albums:

Jeff Baxter - from the Doobie Bros

Deny Diaz - played guitar solo in "Do it Again" ( along with Baxter )

Elliot Randall - played brilliant guitar solo in "Reelin in the Years"

Larry Carlton -from the Crusaders and also top session man of the 70's

Jay Graydon - played guitar solo on "Peg"

Jerome Richardson

Rick Derringer

Jeff Porcaro - from Toto

Michael McDonald

Chuck Rainey - excellent bassist

Joe Sample

Tom Scott

Steve Gadd

and many more....

Bods, I was in O Music video and I was so pleasantly surprised to see almost all of Steely Dan CDs available (sa Odyssey daw meron din) ...needless to say pinakyaw ko hehe, I got Katy Lied, Cant Buy a Thrill, Aja (matagal ko ng pinapangarap!), The Royal Scam, at meron din silang Gaucho at Pretzel Logic...I already had those so d ko na binili.....so hehe kumpleto na yata ako ng lahat ng Steely Dan, yahoo!

Re the Bullitt DVD, let me know brod when is our next EB.....sad to say d ko pa nabibili yung DVD...but madali lang kasi I have people coming in and out of hkg so madali lang magpabilin brod..

Augustmoon, long time no hear !

thanks bro...no problem with Bullitt..

yes it seems madaming reissue ng Steely Dan ngayon..nakita ko din sila sa Tower sa Alabang (or Music One?). Anyway hindi na ako bumili because I have them all on LPs hehehe parang sayang. You failed to mention Countdown to Ecstasy...wala ba nito? I have this on LP and this is a great album. This is the album that contains Bodhisattva, Razor Boy and My Old School...

speaking of Steely Dan, they had a world tour just this year and they were in Japan, Australia and New Zealand just this August and September. Sadly hindi na naman kasama Philippines :goatee:

Anyway mahilig naman ang mga promoters dito na magdala ng geriatric acts, why don't they think of bringing the Dan here - I believe they're already in their mid-5os....

Who has this? If possible, can I request for a copy bro? Sad to say din, I can't find Steve McQueen DVDs readily.

Thanks!

As for STEELY DAN-- big fan here as well. Got hooked when I heard Deacon Blues for the first time in high school! I was just starting out to break out from my classic rock period of playing guitar when I got thrown into the world of Dan's sophisticated brand of music -- just right after watching a band perform Steely Dan tunes at the Papillon Bar in Makati.

Anybody remember the Papillon Bar?

When Steely Dan came out, guitar players suddenly had to go searching for all those wonderful chords and progression the band was doing. Up to now, the chords I learned from their songs remain a staple in how I play.

Other than the music itself, I got so blown away by the level of musicianship paraded in Dan's albums:

Jeff Baxter - from the Doobie Bros

Deny Diaz - played guitar solo in "Do it Again" ( along with Baxter )

Elliot Randall - played brilliant guitar solo in "Reelin in the Years"

Larry Carlton -from the Crusaders and also top session man of the 70's

Jay Graydon - played guitar solo on "Peg"

Jerome Richardson

Rick Derringer

Jeff Porcaro - from Toto

Michael McDonald

Chuck Rainey - excellent bassist

Joe Sample

Tom Scott

Steve Gadd

and many more....

add in as well Mark Knopfler who played lead in Time Out of Mind from Gaucho. The jazz drummer Peter Erskine played on their later albums. Al Dimeola performed in Aja. Deodato was in Do It Again and Dirty Work. Grover Washington did some saz in Time Out of Mind.

16, that would be me...but I dont exactly have it in my hands, but I can have someone purchase it in hkg HMV and bring it back here. Should be here no later than end of the month. Si Bods nagpabili na, pwede ko na isabay then sa EB ang exchange. Marami pang SMcqueen DVDs dun last time I checked.

slierdule:Bro, heheh. Count me in as well sa magpapabili.Been searching all around for those but wala dito sa atin.Thanks!

16, that would be me...but I dont exactly have it in my hands, but I can have someone purchase it in hkg HMV and bring it back here. Should be here no later than end of the month. Si Bods nagpabili na, pwede ko na isabay then sa EB ang exchange. Marami pang SMcqueen DVDs dun last time I checked.
Sayang exhibit ni Storm. I'll be in Singapore for a week.

Hi bods!

Fagen and Becker are true masters of their craft. They got different musicians to play in different tracks just so they could get the sound they were hearing in their heads. Add the fact that both guys are control freaks when it comes to recording and you get excellent albums in the end.

Here's a sampling of how much talent are brought to the table when it comes down to a Steely Dan Album. This is from GAUCHO--(Although it came out in 1980 --no longer the 70's)

Walter Becker: Guitar, Bass, Solo Guitar Donald Fagen: Lead Vocals, Synthesizer, Electric Piano, Organ, Solo Guitar: Mark Knopfler, Steve Khan, Larry Carlton Guitar: Steve Khan, Hugh McCracken, Hiram Bullock, Rick Derringer Bass: Chuck Rainey, Anthony Jackson Drums: Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Bernard Purdie, Rick Marotta Electric Piano: Joe Sample, Don Grolnick, Patrick Rebillot Piano: Rob Mounsey Synthesizer: Rob Mounsey Percussion: Victor Feldman, Crusher Bennett, Steve Gadd, Ralph McDonald Clavinet: Don Grolnick Woodwind: George Marge, Walter Kane, Michael Brecker, David Sanborn, Ronny Cuber, Dave Tofani, Tom Scott Brass: Randy Brecker, Wayne Andre Backing Vocals: Leslie Miller, Patti Austin, Toni Wine, Lani Groves, Diva Gray, Gordon Grady, Frank Floyd, Zack Sanders, Valerie Simpson, Michael McDonald

add in as well Mark Knopfler who played lead in Time Out of Mind from Gaucho. The jazz drummer Peter Erskine played on their later albums. Al Dimeola performed in Aja. Deodato was in Do It Again and Dirty Work. Grover Washington did some saz in Time Out of Mind.
Edited by 16track
Hi bods!

Fagen and Becker are true masters of their craft. They got different musicians to play in different tracks just so they could get the sound they were hearing in their heads. Add the fact that both guys are control freaks when it comes to recording and you get excellent albums in the end.

Dan experts....would you consider Donald Fagen's solo efforts an extension of Steely Dan work? naka 3 albums yata sya diba? The Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat.

I liked the NightfFy album.

Despite being his solo work, the Nightfly at worst --still sounded like Steely Dan. Many of the past Dan musicians were present in the tracks plus the fact that Fagen was the vice of Dan.

" I.G.Y". and "Walk Between the Raindrops" remain the cuts I like the best. Was it an extension of Steely Dan ?

--personally, I really cant say. Maybe .. maybe not.

In my opinion, many big time artists who went solo ---were never as commercially or critically as big as the famous groups they were in before they went separate ways. Most-- but not all --as there are always exceptions such as Clapton and Peter Frampton who became bigger when they went solo or even Michael Jackson after he left his brothers.

Mick Jagger did not find success when he came out solo ( a few times he tried ) nor did Robert Plant or Roger Daltrey. I can add Robin Gibb or Barry Gibb to the list. Even Paul MaCartney -despite his huge success--was never as big as the Beatles.

Dan experts....would you consider Donald Fagen's solo efforts an extension of Steely Dan work? naka 3 albums yata sya diba? The Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat.
Edited by 16track
I liked the NightfFy album.

Despite being his solo work, the Nightfly at worst --still sounded like Steely Dan. Many of the past Dan musicians were present in the tracks plus the fact that Fagen was the vice of Dan.

" I.G.Y". and "Walk Between the Raindrops" remain the cuts I like the best. Was it an extension of Steely Dan ?

--personally, I really cant say. Maybe .. maybe not.

In my opinion, many big time artists who went solo ---were never as commercially or critically as big as the famous groups they were in before they went separate ways. Most-- but not all --as there are always exceptions such as Clapton and Peter Frampton who became bigger when they went solo or even Michael Jackson after he left his brothers.

Mick Jagger did not find success when he came out solo ( a few times he tried ) nor did Robert Plant or Roger Daltrey. I can add Robin Gibb or Barry Gibb to the list. Even Paul MaCartney -despite his huge success--was never as big as the Beatles.

Let me add New Frontier as another good track from The Nightfly album

Donald Fagen's solo efforts were too jazzy compared to the earlier Steely Dan albums but would compare well with the later Dan like Aja and Gaucho which have become too slick - not that it offends me - I do like them all. Kamakiriad sounds too remote and distant - it's like a very slicked-up Steely Dan which I found cold. The Nightfly of course is so warm - I still enjoy it after all this time. Morph the Cat is spotty - only two or three cuts stand out - The H Gang and What I Do (which is some sort of a dialogue with Ray Charles. Very good grooves there).

Walter Becker came out with a solo album some years back and I luckily have it on tape. Now, a Becker album sounds so distant from a Steely Dan effort of course because Becker sings and let's admit it - Fagen's is so much familiar and I daresay better. But the grooves and overall flow of music is very similar to SD. That album is called 11 Tracks of Whack - the lyrics remain biting and cutting-edge, and this is just half of Steely Dan. Only one personal favorite here - Book of Liars. The rest are quite throwaways. Better to just read the lyrics hehehe...