Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

BJ is one of my all time faves. In my opinion, if he had the motor, he would have beaten GSP. GSP can't stand and bang with BJ. GSP knew that BJ's weakness is his cardio that is why he was fond of pinning BJ against the cage to exhaust him.

Not GSP's fault though. It was well documented that during BJ's camp for part2, he spent a few days off training to be with his girlfriend for some festival of sorts. While Dana was busy promoting the event and GSP was busting his ass in the gym, Penn was busy partying. Not so smart when you know GSP is always ready to go 5 rounds.

BJ got away with sheer talent in the early part of his career (ask caol uno)but when the athletic types broke into the sport then talent can only get so much. But that is history, I bet he so over it now. I don't know what the UFC's motivation is with bringing him here. They brought Edgar and Faber last year, why not bring other ranked fighters here? I will be skipping this and watch it free on cignal. I am saving up foe U2.

Edited by startoffbeat

The point here is BJ's motor which is suspect. He has a weak motor or cardio. If he had the cardio, I don't see GSP beating him.

With or without cardio, I still pick GSP to win. We saw on 2 occassions that GSP can adjust faster to any situation that BJ put him in and then has masterfully imposed his own gameplan.

CM Punk: People are expecting Mickey Gall to knock me out

post-481684-0-35417800-1472749070_thumb.jpg

By Chisanga Malata /

Published 1st September 2016

CM PUNK is well aware of his critics thoughts on his upcoming fight.

Punk, real name Phil Brooks, will make his mixed martial arts debut at UFC 203 in nine days time.

The former WWE heavyweight champion's first professional fight will see him do battle with the inexperienced Mickey Gall.

Punk goes into his UFC debut with no amateur fights to his name and only a few years of MMA training under his belt.

The Chicago native's lack of experience has prompted many to tip Gall, 2-0, to run right through him.

And Punk is well aware of the little faith mixed martial arts observers have in him.

"I don’t know what the expectations are. I know what my expectations are," he told MMA Junkie.

post-481684-0-22695600-1472749099_thumb.jpg

"I know what my team and my coach – what they expect out of me. I think it depends on what corner of the media or the Internet you look at to see what the expectations are.

"People expect me to get knocked out. People expect me to get starched in 30 seconds. The people who see me work here every day expect me to win."

post-481684-0-24396100-1472749145_thumb.jpg

Punk is refusing to pay attention to his detractors and is determined to prove them wrong by coming out of his MMA debut victorious.

"My expectations are to win – go out there, whether it goes three rounds, whether it goes three seconds, that’s what I expect," he added.

"I expect to show up in the best shape of my life, happiest I’ve ever been, and happy looking in the mirror before the fight knowing: ‘Job well done.'"

Edited by hahnz

That is your opinion. If BJ had Cain's cardio, there is no way GSP would beat him. In their second fight, GSP tried to get him to the ground early because he knows that BJ has a weak cardio. Moreover, GSP put Vaseline on his back which made it slippery and made it hard for BJ to execute his jiujitsu.

Meh, BJ is not really known for cardio. Jens Pulver outlasted him because of that. The vaseline incident has already been cleared. If you watched the fight closely, it was one his coaches, Kru Phil Nurse, that put vaseline on GSP's back. If you watched it closer, you will the Red Suit guy from the Nevada Athletic Comm instructing Nurse to wipe off all excess vaseline from GSP's body which he willingfully obliged. Also, GSP is a master of fighting inside the full guard in which he totally nullified BJ's jiu jitsu. Both men were slippery with swear come 3rd round in which it will be very difficult to put on submission holds, even form a BJJ black belt like Penn. Penn also did very little to negate Georges' transition attempts. Multiple times in a single round GSP moved from inside the guard to half mount to side control with relative ease. Heck, even BJ says he does not remember what happened after the end of round 2.

I don't know about that but BJ's left leg kept on sliding off GSP's back when was trying to set up the triangle choke. I still hold on to my belief that GSP would not win against BJ if BJ had excellent cardio.

Like I said, GSP is a master of fighting inside the guard. Think Tito Ortiz with more athleticism. GSP is an expert of positioning and posture. Vaseline has little to do with BJ's legs slipping off GSP's huge torso.

Don't get me wrong, I love BJ Penn. I just don't like how he acted before and after the fight. He called out GSP after the Sean Seark fight. He climbed inside the cage when GSP beat Jon Fitch. Then he went partying in the middle of training camp. Then when he lost, he acted the fool by complaining to the UFC brass and bringing his mother to court about the alleged Vaseline on Georges' back.

Ubfortunately, 2 fights are already in the books with GSP winning both. BJ had his moment when he bloodied up Georges' face. He and his brothers were laughing hard when GSP was so dazed that he was going to sit on the wrong corner during the break. I must admit that I had a good laugh as well.

We can keep on speculating who will win if BJ had a huge gas tank. That tank better be full since St Pierre is always ready to fight 5 rounds. They can keep on fighting and I will keep picking GSP to win until BJ Penn will realize the prodigious talent can only get you so far.

I guess we would have to agree to disagree. I just don't see GSP beating BJ if BJ had excellent cardio. GSP didn't want to take Jake Shields down because he knew Jake Shields would submit him which is smart because Jake Shields does not have the elite striking of a BJ Penn. GSP knew that the only way he could beat BJ was by exhausting him. Master of the closed guard or not, BJ is a world class grappler and an excellent cardio would have made the difference.

That sir, is called fighting smart. You never play to your opponent's strength. Remember that GSP stood up with Condit, Diaz and Hendrix and his face got f*cked up on all 3 of those fights. I bet BJ would do the same thing to Georges if this damned Canadian was not too freaking smart. BJ will not need 2 rounds and a good cardio. The fight will end in between rounds as GSP is such a bleeder.

It should be noted that he stood up with Shields with his left eye blinded for 4 rounds. Shields threw that mean overhand but did not capitalize on the situation. Am I fanboying? Yes and no, I am just stating what I saw.

Both men are future hall of famers anyway. GSP is a class act and a good company mascot. He carried the UFC brand well during his time. BJ on the other hand showed everyone that it is not always about the money. This guy is wealthy but he just wanted to test himself he never picked the easy fights.

Most of the time, GSP took Condit to the ground. Condit had a golden chance to finish it off when he hit GSP with a head kick that sent GSP down. If he only went to the side and hammer-fisted the face of GSP, Condit would have finished him off.

Johny Hendricks won that fight. That decision was synonymous to the word "controversial".

Only Condit will know why he did not chase Georges when he was knocked down. Georges defended the jab-straight combo well and you can actually see the surprise on his face when Condit threw that weird-ass looking kick to the head.

As for Hendricks, you can refer back to the 1st Machida-Rua fight. Shogun f*cked up Lyoto's face but only won round 2 and 3. The rest of the fight was won by Lyoto with statistics and strikes landed(that did little damge). Had Hendrix brought the game harder on St. Pierre then he would have been champion. It is controversial because the judges knew better(note sarcasm). That is one of the issues of scoring a fight per round versus Pride where fights are judged in its entirety. I honestly will just take anyone who won the fight, even as a GSP fan.

GSP was lucky that BJ does not have excellent cardio. I agree with you that BJ is too dependent on his talent and sometimes does not train too hard like GSP. To add, BJ does not have the work ethic of GSP. BJ would win all things being equal, meaning BJ had the cardio and work ethic of GSP.

I would not call it luck, historically speaking, Penn never needed cardio as he finishes opponents early. So what happens if he goes to the later rounds? Jens Pulver, St. Pierre and Frankie Edgar(twice) knew what to do.

brandon vera.. magaling sya..

which big name fighter did he beat? if you look at his record. His last 2 UFC fights were losses. so he was let go from the promotion and he transferred to ONE FC. No disrespect to One FC but they're not exactly a big name promotion. Maybe in Singapore. The last 2 fights he had in One FC were agsint fighters the UFC wouldn't consider even signing.

He lost to MMA legends, Randy Couture, Shogun, Jon Jones, Fabricio Werdum. Majority of which were TKO's on punches.

He's average at best.

brandon vera.. magaling sya..

which big name fighter did he beat? if you look at his record. His last 2 UFC fights were losses. so he was let go from the promotion and he transferred to ONE FC. No disrespect to One FC but they're not exactly a big name promotion. Maybe in Singapore. The last 2 fights he had in One FC were agsint fighters the UFC wouldn't consider even signing.

He lost to MMA legends, Randy Couture, Shogun, Jon Jones, Fabricio Werdum. Majority of which were TKO's on punches.

He's average at best.

Relax, Vera did beat Frank Mir. Even Mir admits he lost to this guy who was not even supposed to be a heavyweight. In fairness to Mir, he had his battles outside the cage that he had to deal with.

Exactly my point. Edgar and GSP both have excellent cardio. BJ doesn't. Talent-wise, BJ trumps these two.

Honestly, even his talent fell short when he fought these two guys.

Relax, Vera did beat Frank Mir. Even Mir admits he lost to this guy who was not even supposed to be a heavyweight. In fairness to Mir, he had his battles outside the cage that he had to deal with.

Frank Mir was dealing with a lot of issues, from his injury to being out of shape during the time he fought Vera. I've followed Vera since he fought in the UFC. He wouldn't have beaten Mir if Mir was in shape and focused for the fight.

I have a lot of respect for Vera even repping for the Philippines when he fights but i just don't think he's that good. He fits under the category of a "never was".

If its a Filipino fighter who deserves praise it would be Mark Munoz. At least this guy is legit good and he beat guys like Demian Maia and Chris Leben.

Edited by hahnz
UFC 203's Alistair Overeem: Winning UFC heavyweight title would 'cement my legacy' in MMA

post-481684-0-40841000-1473339781_thumb.jpg

By: Mike Bohn and John Morgan | September 7, 2016 3:15 pm

CLEVELAND Alistair Overeem knows there’s a lot at stake for him at UFC 203.

Any fighter winning a UFC belt is significant, but for Overeem, capturing heavyweight gold from Stipe Miocic would be the perfect bow on an already illustrious MMA career.

“We’re here for one goal and one goal only,” Overeem said at today’s UFC 203 open workouts.” We’re going to cement my legacy. We are going to get that championship belt. It will be history, and the after-party for some people will not be as nice.”

UFC 203 takes place Saturday at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. Overeem (41-14 MMA, 6-3 UFC) vs. Miocic (15-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) headlines the pay-per-view main card following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.

The chance to fight for the UFC belt has been a long time coming for “The Reem.” He was originally meant to have the opportunity at UFC 146 in May 2012, but a failed drug test derailed his chance. He could have gotten right back in the mix following his suspension, but he ran into an up-and-down period in his career in which he suffered a few key losses that forced him to rebuild.

Overeem is right back where he needs to be now, though. He enters UFC 203 on a four-fight winning streak, including three victories by knockout. One of the wins in that stretch was a knockout of former UFC champ Junior Dos Santos, the most recent fighter to beat Miocic.

MMA math infrequently works, however, and Overeem knows he must produce one of his finest performances in order to beat the current titleholder.

“I expect him to come with a full arsenal,” Overeem said. “He has his striking, he has his wrestling base and, yeah, (he’s) a very dominant fighter and has got power. But everyone has power. So I have to be ready for his strikes, for his counterstrikes, I have to be ready for his wrestling. My game plan is great, so I’m very confident.”

The UFC championship is essentially the one missing piece from Overeem’s resume. He won the Strikeforce championship, DREAM championship and even crossed over into kickboxing and won a K-1 title. None of those belts hold the same prestige as the UFC, though, and Overeem said he can feel inside what an important moment this is for his career.

“It definitely does feel special,” Overeem said. “There’s definitely that extra tingling of nerves. Sometimes you don’t have nerves, sometimes you have a little bit of nerves. This is a little bit of nerves. But this is going to be my 87th fight. We’ve been there, we’ve done that. I use that tension. I’m using those nerves to my advantage. We’ll come out on top on Saturday.”

Overeem started his MMA journey in October 1999 and has had a roller coaster of experiences during that time. At 36, some might say his chance has come too late and he won’t be able to overcome a champion like Miocic, who is essentially the prototype for the modern MMA fighter. Overeem begs to differ, though, and said he’s going to force the title to change hands in emphatic fashion.

“I am the most hungry fighter of the heavyweight division,” Overeem said. “I predicted a second- or third-round knockout. It depends on him a little bit, too, because it takes two to tango. Judging his nature, it’s not going to take that long – but you never know. There’s an X-factor involved. He can go away, he can evade, he can become a different Stipe all of a sudden. But otherwise, I don’t see it lasting two or three rounds.”

Can't say I'm surprised with the result for the CM Punk fight. Still I got mad respect for him for having the balls to step into the ring even though he's already pushing 40. Just goes to prove that even under the wing of a wolrd class trainer such as Duke Roufus and having Showtime Pettis and Tyrone Woodley, you still have to earn your stripes both in training or in the smaller circuits.

Chael Sonnen teases Bellator debut fight against Tito Ortiz on Nov. 19 in San Jose
post-481684-0-16407000-1474392565_thumb.jpg

By Adam Guillen Jr.

Sep 20, 2016, 11:45a

Chael Sonnen is now a Bellator MMA fighter and he is wasting no time in trying to pick a fight.

During a recent conference call, the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) two-time middleweight title contender declared his intention to go around and kick as much ass as he could during his "Legends Ass-Kicking" tour, which includes targets such as Quinton Jackson and Fedor Emelianenko.

However, as he reiterated during his visit to The MMA Hour, the first person on his hit list is Tito Ortiz, as he officially called him out, saying all he needs is the contract in front of him to make it official.

And he already has a time and place set.

For Sonnen, while he says he’s aware of the "truck full of excuses" Tito often brings to the table for not winning a fight, he is confident Ortiz will keep his word and show come fight night.

"I am on a legends ass-kicking tour and I’m starting with Tito Ortiz on November 19. All I need is a contract. This could not be any more of an official callout. I don’t have the linguistic ability to call someone out more articulately or clear. If Tito does not want to accept, I will never bully him again. I’m not here to pick on him. I will take a ‘no’ as a default and I will move on. But for right now, my message for you is that on Nov. 19, ‘The Bad Boy,’ vs. ‘The Bad Guy.’"

A fight that "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" -- who was last seen losing to Liam McGeary over a year ago -- is keen on accepting.

As part of his new and perhaps final run in the sport of MMA, Sonnen feels a responsibility to not only help himself, but the up-and-coming fighters competing on the undercard to up their earnings, as well, as he remembers the time when it was he who was struggling.

As far as contract details, Sonnen didn't spill much, but did say that one of his first meetings with Bellator MMA boss Scott Coker, the head cheese simply told him not to "shop him" and that his contract offer was going to be his first and best offer.

"I got a job to do and that’s the bottom line. I’m a company guy and I don’t try to come in, take all the money and leave town. I’m a capitalist but I have a very systematic approach to fighting. There are guys on the undercard that aren’t going to be getting any money and the guys on the top of the bill have got to have a trickle down effect and look out for everybody else. I see some of these scumbags now, they try to grab all the money and run away and go, ‘All the attention is on me.’ You are not totally wrong on that, you are bringing in the dollars, but it’s still family here. You got a group, it doesn’t matter if it’s your opponent, your enemy or some guy that’s trying to live his dream. The show doesn’t go on with just two guys. Yeah, I got a job to do and I’ll do it and deliver."

The rest, as they say, is history.

Edited by hahnz