Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

CM Punk announces his UFC debut will come against Mickey Gall at UFC 203

post-481684-0-71367500-1466687847_thumb.jpg

By Marc Raimondi

@marc_raimondi on Jun 23, 2016, 3:54a

The date for CM Punk's highly anticipated debut has been set.

CM Punk announced Thursday morning on the new UFC Unfiltered podcast that he will be facing Mickey Gall at UFC 203 on Sept. 10 in Cleveland. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani had previously reported that debuting at UFC 203 was the plan for Punk.

post-481684-0-66925500-1466687856_thumb.jpg

Punk broke the news officially to Unfiltered hosts Matt Serra and comedian Jim Norton. The former WWE star signed with the UFC in December 2014 to much buzz and most expected him to have fought by now, but a series of injuries sidelined him.

Punk, whose real name is Phil Brooks, said he was just cleared by doctors this week after a back injury put him on the shelf in February. He has been training for more than a year now at Roufusport in Milwaukee.

The Chicago native left WWE in early 2014 after butting heads with company execs. He stunned the pro-wrestling and MMA worlds later that year by announcing his signing with the UFC. Punk had no previous combat sports experience and very little martial arts training outside of some Brazilian jiu-jitsu with Rener Gracie and kenpo karate when he was younger.

Serra and Norton asked him for his motivation on the podcast. Many critics thought he would never go through with stepping in the Octagon, but now the date has been set. Punk was a former WWE champion and one of the biggest stars in sports entertainment.

"I think there's probably something seriously wrong with me," Punk said with a laugh. "Everyone is trying to figure out why I would want to do this. I'm a guy who gets bored easily and I have goals and there's things in life I enjoy. It's not about the destination; it's about the journey."

Gall (2-0) debuted in the UFC with a first-round submission victory over Mike Jackson in February. He was picked up after being discovered by UFC president Dana White and Serra on the "Lookin' for a Fight" show on UFC Fight Pass. Gall called out Punk while White and Serra were in the audience and White liked his style and personality.

Gall, 24, was told if he beat Jackson, he'd get his wish: a fight with CM Punk. And that's exactly what the New Jersey native did.

UFC 203 is headlined by a heavyweight title fight between champion Stipe Miocic and challenger Alistair Overeem. In the co-main event, former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum meets Ben Rothwell.

It's unclear where on the card Punk vs. Gall will be, but it is likely to be featured on pay-per-view.

Rafael dos Anjos still open to having super-fight with Conor McGregor

post-481684-0-31494400-1466789985_thumb.jpg

UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos has revealed he's still open to fighting Conor McGregor.

By Chisanga Malata /

Published 24th June 2016

The Brazilian, 25-7, was scheduled to face his featherweight counterpart in a champion vs. champion bout at UFC 196 back in March.

However, a foot injury forced Dos Anjos out of the eagerly anticipated contest and denied McGregor the opportunity to become the first man in UFC history to simultaneously hold two titles in two different weight classes.

McGregor is allegedly still keen on a future bout with Dos Anjos, who will defend his 155-pound title against Eddie Alvarez at UFC Fight Night on July 7.

And the Brazilian has told McGregor that if he wants his title he's more than welcome to challenge him.

"No man, I'm fighting somebody who earned that. Eddie Alvarez has been in the game for so long and he earned the title shot and he's the next guy in line," he told TMZ when asked if he was disappointed to not be facing a big name like McGregor.

"But if one day down the road Conor deserves it (I'll fight him). If he wants my belt I'm here. I'm the champion. I'm the lightweight champion he's the featherweight champion. I can't make featherweight, I need to cut my leg off.

"But, he's the one who wants to have two belts. So if he wants to have one more belt I'm here, he's welcome (to challenge me) anytime."

Michael Bisping on Georges St-Pierre fight: 'If he wants to get knocked out, I'm in'

The new middleweight champ says he 'loves' GSP, but won't have a problem putting him to sleep, if they should fight.

By Elias Cepeda @EliasCepeda

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:10p ET

post-481684-0-26595000-1466790293_thumb.jpg

Michael Bisping has implied, strongly, that members of former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's team have reached out to his team and started discussions about "Rush" taking on the new middleweight champ in a UFC comeback fight. "The Count" is alright with that idea.

The Brit recently told Gareth Davies that he has a great deal of affection for the retired champion as a fighter, professional and big draw. "I loves Georges St-Pierre," he said.

"He's an incredible fighter. He's a legend of the sport -- the biggest pay-per-view draw that there was for a long time, the consummate professional. Georges is amazing."

With all that said, Bisping wouldn't mind knocking GSP's block off. "But, if he wants to get knocked out, I'm in," he said, with confidence.

post-481684-0-31773000-1466790302_thumb.jpg

We've already taken a look at this potential dream fight. Both men continue to seem eager for this mega-bout, and we will keep you posted with updates as they become available.

i can't believe people actually bought tickets for this f-uckin nonsense. i was watching the first 30 seconds of this so called sanctioned fight between two guys who haven't fought professionally at all then i turned it off. i get a kick more from watching the backyard brawls of Kimbo Slice than be subjected to this poorly executed circus.

to be honest the idiot ref should have stopped the fight because the Geisler guy was on his back being grounded and pounded above by Matos, he looked like he wasn't even defending intelligently. SMH

can we move on to the upcoming REAL fights instead of this nonsense

Out of town ako kaya hindi ko napanood. Fb is breeming with news about how great the fight went. I do not know hahnz personally but I will take his word that the fight was nonsense. We should move on with the real fights. MMA in the Philippines has a lot of catching up to do with boxing anf basketball and this circus of a match is not a step towards doing so.

let me ask you this question. do you think down the road that these 2 amateurs are going to be fighting professionally? the answer is obviously no. what? you think the people in that venue came to see the other fighters fight? i would bet you dollars to peanuts that they went there for that idiotic crap of a match. they didn't care about the other fights on the card.

I get why the promoter wanted to do this. He wanted to generate some buzz for his MMA promotion, like any other promotion its a business and you want to get some interest from the casual fan and get some money. but i would tell you now that this type of business model isn't going to work. This promotion will lose ground in the future and it won't get any sponsors to gamble on a promotion who doesn't really take MMA seriously by sanctioning these fights. these so called fans who said that it was a great fight don't know what MMA is, how are the real fighters going to take MMA seriously because of this farce?

what about the fighters who do fight professionally and take the sport seriously? they will just be ignored because of these celebrity deathmatch fights. what's next an MMA match between 2 female celebs this time?

Its no wonder the majority of filipino fighters fight for ONE FC because at least those fights are legit and they take the sport seriously.

URCC will fold down the road. The Philippines is a boxing country and it will be extremely difficult to get young guys to fight in MMA especially their promotion.

They just set themselves back.

UFC 200's full 12-bout lineup now official for arguably most stacked card in UFC history

A pair of former UFC champ fighting on FOX Sports 1 prelims? Two of the most exciting fighters in UFC history in a featured fight on UFC Fight Pass? It must be UFC 200.

The 12-bout lineup, slated for July 9 at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena, was recently finalized with the addition of a heavyweight co-main event between former UFC champ Brock Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) and hard-hitting knockout artist Mark Hunt (12-10-1 MMA, 7-4-1 UFC), but now the full broadcast plans have been made official.

The event starts out on UFC Fight Pass with three contests, including lightweights Jim Miller (25-8 MMA, 14-7 UFC) vs. Takanori Gomi (35-11 MMA, 4-6 UFC) and middleweights Gegard Mousasi (38-6-2 MMA, 5-3 UFC) vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos (13-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC), as well as a featured matchup between veteran lightweights Joe Lauzon (25-11 MMA, 12-8 UFC) and Diego Sanchez (26-8 MMA, 15-8 UFC).

The action then shifts over to FOX Sports 1 for a total of four prelims, including lightweights Sage Northcutt (7-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) vs. Enrique Marin (8-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC), bantamweights Raphael Assuncao (23-4 MMA, 7-1 UFC) vs. T.J. Dillashaw (12-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC), welterweights Kelvin Gastelum (11-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) vs. Johny Hendricks (17-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) and women’s bantamweights Julianna Pena (7-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) vs. Cat Zingano (9-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC).

Then it’s on to pay-per-view, which includes three championship fights and a pair of heavyweight bouts.

The full UFC 200 lineup includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

• Julianna Pena vs. Cat Zingano
  • Kelvin Gastelum vs. Johny Hendricks
  • Raphael Assuncao vs. T.J. Dillashaw
  • Enrique Marin vs. Sage Northcutt

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)

• Joe Lauzon vs. Diego Sanchez
  • Gegard Mousasi vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos
  • Takanori Gomi vs. Jim Miller
UFC 200's Mark Hunt says he's been facing cheaters his whole career, but tones down steroid rhetoric on Lesnar

LAS VEGAS – UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt is moving away from his suspicions about Brock Lesnar and focusing on the task at hand – to knock out the ex-champ at UFC 200.

Lesnar toned down his previous rhetoric on Lesnar and steroid use, telling MMAjunkie, “I don’t care – everyone should be on a level playing field, to be honest, but it is what it is.”

Hunt (12-10-1 MMA, 7-4-1 UFC) came out firing shortly after his co-headliner with Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) was announced for the blockbuster pay-per-view event, accusing the former wrestling champ of being “juiced to the gills” and calling an exemption from a four-month period of drug testing a “load of (expletive)” and “rubbish.”

But today during an appearance in support of the fight on July 9 at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena, Hunt was slightly more even-keeled about the matter, promising it wouldn’t make a difference anyway in the result of the bout.

“I’ve been fighting cheaters my whole career, so the thing is, when you’re caught cheating, that means you’ve got to look back on your life and the accomplishments you’ve done and (ask), did you really do them, or did the cheating that did it? That’s on them,” Hunt said. “That’s not on me at all. I can’t control what they’ll be doing.”

He added: “I don’t care if you’re cheating or not. I’ll punch your face in. That’s all I’ve got.”

Hunt has punched in quite a few faces since joining the UFC one month prior to Lesnar losing the heavyweight title to now ex-champ Cain Velasquez. The “Super Samoan” comes into the bout on the heels of two straight knockout wins. Lesnar, meanwhile, hasn’t competed in MMA in five years.

Still, Lesnar’s previously accomplishments didn’t go unnoticed by Hunt, who pointed out the ex-champ’s transition from pro wrestling champ to UFC champ in short order. While his exploits might have come from a period of combat sports in which anti-doping efforts weren’t as sophisticated, Hunt said Lesnar is an extremely talented athlete.

“Who does win the world title in four fights?” he asked. “You can’t really knock his accomplishments. Then again …”

Since inking a one-off deal to compete at UFC 200, Lesnar has been tested five times by USADA. The UFC has said Lesnar was given an exemption from a four-month window of testing because he couldn’t participate in the anti-doping program any sooner given the date he signed.

Lesnar hasn’t said a whole lot about Hunt in the buildup to the fight, but he made clear the fact that his comeback is about nothing other than himself.

Conor McGregor says he will ‘toy’ with Nate Diaz in rematch at UFC 202

June 27, 201610:35am

Damon Martin, FOXSports.comnews.com.au
post-481684-0-67549100-1467107527_thumb.jpg

A LOSS to Nate Diaz back in March taught UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor some valuable lessons, but it certainly didn’t dampen his confidence.

The outspoken Irishman appeared at an event to help promote his coach John Kavanagh’s new book Win or Learn and while he was there he spoke at length about his upcoming rematch with Diaz.

McGregor has said time and time again that he was beating Diaz handily through the first eight minutes of their fight before he got caught with a stiff punch, his conditioning failed him and disaster was waiting just around the corner.

With the necessary adjustments made since then, McGregor knows he can rectify those mistakes and make good on his promise to dispatch Diaz in impressive fashion when they meet again on August 20.

“I’m feeling very confident in myself and I’m going to toy with this man. For seven or eight minutes of the last fight, I was going to win but that fade away left hand he caught with — my senses were still there and it was almost like a fatigue thing,” McGregor said via The Mirror.

“My balance wasn’t gone and I always look back now and I question what would have just happened if I weathered the storm? He was one or two shots from being done I feel. When that left hand hit he got this burst of energy, you could see it in his corner they went insane, they acted like they’d just won the lotto. I took a couple more shots, I shot and then ended up in a guillotine and it was just all downhill from there.”

McGregor questions his decision to look for that ill-fated take-down that precipitated the end of the fight where Diaz sprawled and then reversed positions before taking the back and locking up the fight ending rear naked choke.

Looking back now, McGregor wonders if he would have just stayed on the feet with Diaz if he could have given himself a moment to recover before firing back to finish the fight.

“I wonder what would’ve happened if I just kept circling and took the smacks and survived? Eventually, all the energy he gained from that left-hand shot would’ve dipped again and then round three would’ve begun,” McGregor said.

“I think there’s a lot of stuff I can improve upon next time and I’m going in there confident I will get this rematch back.”

The loss inside the Octagon back in March was really an amalgamation of a lot of mistakes McGregor says he made in the days leading up to that fight with Diaz.

The first issue came with his diet as McGregor beefed up to originally fight lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos and then he essentially ballooned up even bigger to face Diaz at 170 pounds on short notice.

McGregor’s diet wasn’t built for a world champion and he found that out the hard way once he stepped into the Octagon with arguably one of the most well conditioned athletes in the sport in Diaz.

“My body almost went into shock because I was stuffing my face eating everything,” McGregor said. “Usually, when I cut to featherweight it’s very taxing on me and I normally put myself in bubble wrap, but this time, because I didn’t have to cut weight, I was still training all week long and we were doing six to eight hour sessions and swinging on gymnastics rings.

“Looking back it wasn’t the best idea and it bit me in the ass. I was a little heavy around the midsection and I was over trained, my diet wasn’t great and it came back and bit me in the ass so as the coach says ‘you win or your learn’ and I learned. This time, I’m staying on my nutrition and I’m very fight orientated and I’m not swinging on gymnastic rings too much anymore.”

post-481684-0-84940000-1467107538_thumb.jpg

McGregor also points at his preparation leading up to the fight as a key factor in losing to Diaz after he allowed his own hubris to get in the way as he trained to fight a southpaw and failed to bring in a single left-handed fighter to help him in camp.

The way McGregor saw it, every fighter he’s scheduled to face ends up pulling out of the contest anyway, so why make special preparations if the bout is going to change at the last minute.

“For the last fight I was preparing for Dos Anjos for the lightweight belt and he was a small stocky southpaw but I didn’t actually bring in any southpaws — not one” McGregor said. “The reason we don’t really care about that the opponent is doing is because they always pull out, every time.

“This time though, I know Nate is going to show up. I’m going to be facing a tall lanky southpaw with a decent lead hand so this time, I’ve brought in tall lanky southpaws with a good lead hands and solid jiu-jitsu.”

McGregor has certainly upped his training while working with a high level Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner like Dillon Danis and even bringing in Olympic boxers with similar range and style to Diaz.

He’s also made sure that his conditioning would never back fire on him again and McGregor has paid special attention to his diet and body so that he’s in peak physical shape ahead of his second fight at 170 pounds.

It all combines into what McGregor believes will be a dominant victory over Diaz at UFC 202. “John [Kavanagh] is overlooking every session and I’ve also upped my cardiovascular stuff,” McGregor said. “I kind of left that behind with my last injury and I wasn’t clocking up all the miles like I used to in my amateur days. I’ve now hit the road, got back on the bike and got back on the treadmill and I’ve built up my cardio that way.”

McGregor will attempt to gain his revenge on August 20 as he faces Diaz from Las Vegas at the new T-Mobile Arena in the welterweight main event on the card.

BREAKING NEWS: Jon Jones removed from UFC 200 for possible doping violation

LAS VEGAS -- Interim UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been pulled from his title unification bout against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 on Saturday, after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency informed Jones of a potential doping violation on Wednesday.

UFC president Dana White announced the move during an impromptu news conference at MGM Grand Hotel.

Jones tested positive for a banned substance in an out-of-competition sample taken June 16 by USADA, said Jeff Novitzky, UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance. USADA administers the UFC's anti-drug policy.

"It is important to note that under the UFC anti-doping policy, there's a full, fair legal-review process that is afforded to all athletes before any sanctions are imposed," Novitzky said.

Novitzky added that there wasn't time for a "full review before the scheduled bout."

"Therefore the fight has been removed from the fight card," Novitzky said.

White said he has not spoken to Jones yet and that he wasn't aware whether the substance in question was a performance-enhancing drug.

A heavyweight fight between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt will now headline UFC 200, which takes place on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena.

Jones has the right to appeal any positive test. He has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, but did test positive for traces of cocaine prior to a fight against Cormier in January 2015.

Jones also served a suspension from April to October after his involvement in a hit-and-run accident.

Under the UFC's anti-doping program, which is administered by USADA and went into effect last July, a positive test for a performance-enhancing drug carries a standard 2-year suspension.

White said he'd like to find Cormier, the defending light heavyweight champion, a new opponent, but that would be difficult given the timing.

"I've trained hard and long," Cormier said. "If anybody would fight, I would fight. Why not? I understand the difficult task it would be to find me a fight on two days. I'm willing to fight up, put on some weight, 225, 220 (pounds). I'll fight. It doesn't matter. I just can't fight a really big guy, because I've been shrinking my body."

Cormier, who appeared next to White during the news conference, said he'd put in the effort and would accept a new fight if the UFC could find one that "made sense."

"I've worked really hard to prepare for this," Cormier said. "You take care of what you need to take care of, that's what I did. More than anything, it's really disappointing.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6O9L32K4tY

Edited by hahnz