Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

• 2 weeks later...
Morning Report: Mark Hunt calls Brock Lesnar a 'pretender,' says he will 'get it good and proper' at UFC 200

post-481684-0-57408100-1465327266_thumb.jpg

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt plans to knock Lesnar's face off at UFC 200 and send him back to the WWE.

Yesterday, it was officially announced that Brock Lesnar's opponent for his return at UFC 200 would be none other than beloved UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt. To promote the announcement, Lesnar made multiple media appearances detailing why he is returning, remarking that he felt he was robbed of his MMA career by diverticulitis, the digestive disease which at one point threatened his life.

Hunt made his own comments on the announcement via an article on his own website Markhunt.tv, where he outlined his feelings on the bout and his willingness to take the fight on short notice.

"When I was asked a few weeks ago to stay ready for July, I was very pumped man. I had no idea it would be Brock, but like everything it doesn't matter who I fight they are going to get it good and proper when I step inside the cage. I'm just going to prepare as best as I can. My mind is built for this s@%t. Throw me into the maelstrom of battle and 9 out of 10 times I walk away."

Hunt's career MMA record is 12-10-1 with all of his losses coming via stoppage. But records can be deceiving, none more so than Hunt's. Famously, Hunt's contract with the UFC was acquired in the Pride FC purchase and the UFC offered to buy him out of his contract for $450,000 so as to release themselves from their contractual obligations to give him fights. At the time, Hunt was 5-6 and on a 5-fight losing streak. Hunt declined the offer and insisted on fighting out his contract which turned out to be a great decision. Since joining the UFC, Hunt has accumulated a 7-4-1 record in the UFC, the No. 8 ranking in the heavyweight division, and a newly signed multi-million dollar contract (one of many he has received during his tenure).

Conversely, Lesnar has not competed in MMA since December of 2011, when he was stopped by body shots from current UFC heavyweight challenger Alistair Overeem. In the almost five years Lesnar has been gone the UFC landscape has changed substantially, most notably with the implementation of USADA drug testing. Coming from professional wrestling, where there is a stigma of PED usage, some have questioned how these new rules may effect Lesnar coming into the UFC on such a short timeline. Hunt remarked on the situation that he would hope they are testing Lesnar but that ultimately it doesn't matter.

"I already said they better be testing him, but in the end it doesn't even matter. It's time for ‘punch face', a game I have been playing for many years."

Hunt definitely has been playing that game for many years. He is 42 years old and has been fighting professionally since 1998 when he began his fight career in boxing and kickboxing. Hunt was the 2001 K-1 Kickboxing World Grand Prix champion before transitioning to MMA in 2004. Many of Hunt's early losses came as a result of his opponent's taking him down and exploiting his minimal ground skills. Lesnar is a former D-1 national champion wrestler and will likely look to do the same, something which Hunt is prepared for.

"I deal with a wrestler like I deal with every other fighter. I punch them in the mouth."

It is a plan that has worked exceedingly well for him in the UFC. Hunt's takedown defense in the UFC is 75.6% placing him third among active heavyweights. But in Lesnar, Hunt faces the best wrestler he has ever fought. Lesnar's takedown accuracy is third in division history at 55% and first among active heavyweights. Still, Hunt remains confident. Lesnar has developed a reputation for being overly wary of getting punched and Hunt is one of the best to ever throw hands, something he intends to take full advantage of.

"I'll knock his face off. I knock his mouth off and then his lips fly off. If he has an itch to scratch I will scratch it for him. I ain't no part-time fighter. He thinks this is a game where he can come back and forth. I will send this pretender back so he can play house with the other part timers. This realm is for the real fighters, not these damn pretenders. Don't confuse wrestling with real fighting. I'm going to give it to him."

Odds makers seem to agree, opening Hunt as a -190 favorite over the returning Lesnar. We are less than five weeks away from finding out if they are right.

Fight fans, maabala ko kayo saglit.

Ano masasabi nyo sa darating na pagtutuos ni Baron Geisler at Kiko Matos sa isang MMA event ng URCC?

Does it help the reputation of MMA or does it damage it?

Sakin kasi, sa isang banda oo nga naman. Kesa kasi sa bar na madami kayo maabala at makakasira pa, di sa ring na lang para me referee pa kayo.

Sa kabilang banda naman, kahit closed door session lang sa kahit saang gym pwede na. Kelangan pa ba ito ipublicize? Masusulit naman kaya bayad ng tao dito kung sakali? Baka naman kasi typical na away kalye makita natin dito at wala masyado technique.