Diet

Taking psyllium husks can help. A number of local brands of psyllium husks are now available, the more popular one is C-lium Fiber.

Psyllium husks contains loads of fiber, so it helps food taken with it to be pushed out instead of being absorbed by the body. So less fat, carbo, and even nutrients wil be absorbed by the body. What's more, psyllium husks can be very filling, thus one will be inclined to take less food.

I try not to take it with every single meal i have as my body might be deprived of vital nutrients. so what i do is i only take it just before lunch and supper. i don't take it on breakfast since i don't eat a lot anyway on mornings, and then i also take my vitamins and other herbal supplements with my breakfast for better absorbtion.

Edited by fortune_cookie

anyone here..tried the Green tee tabs of HealthyOptions. HO is claiming its ephedra-free and so its really friendly for the heart, so they say. Wala raw palpitation sa mga mahihina ang puso. It helps the body lose fat daw 43% faster than other known brands...is there no FRs for this? i'd like to try this tabs as supplement for my 2x a week badminton to increase my rate of slimming...

anyone here..tried the Green tee tabs of HealthyOptions. HO is claiming its ephedra-free and so its really friendly for the heart, so they say. Wala raw palpitation sa mga mahihina ang puso. It helps the body lose fat daw 43% faster than other known brands...is there no FRs for this? i'd like to try this tabs as supplement for my 2x a week badminton to increase my rate of slimming...

Alam ko si Google gumagamit nyan at very effective nga raw sa kanya (pero may mas mura dyan.. yun sa kin nabili ko lang sa isang seller sa femalenetwork.. effective rin naman sa kin). Pero kung kaya mo naman uminom ng green tea.. mas okey yun at mas mura pa! ;)

tama si BC. gumagamit nga ako neto. lost 10 pounds already, coupled with regular exercise and sensible eating...

i read somewhere that one of its side effects is bad breath.

is it true?

Halitosis. It may not be directly responsible, as is the common belief, but it provides ideal conditions for it to occur. The common misconception is that the odor comes from the stomach, but most actually originate from the back of the tongue. It's caused by bacteria that thrive in the nooks and crannies of the tongue, particularly at the very back of the tongue. They feed on amino acids, chemicals that are the building blocks of proteins. The breakdown of amino acids releases hydrogen sulfide (a colorless gas that smells like rotten eggs) and other rancid chemicals. Eating foods high in proteins, such as meat, eggs, and fish, can leave behind enough amino acids in the mouth to feed an army of odor-causing anaerobes (bacteria capable of surviving in an environment with little or no oxygen.)

Edited by Manticore

The Atkins Diet believes that carbohydrates are the reason why people get fat. The body ultimately converts what you eat into blood sugar, or glucose, in order to provide fuel for activity---be it physical or mental. Anything in excess is stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen, and for long term storage as fat. When you eat too many carbohydrates, especially quick-releasing (or what is termed as high-glycemic) carbohydrates, your body responds by secreting insulin, a storage hormone. This happens, because too much sugar in the blood is harmful. By excluding carbohydrates in the diet, in principle, you force the body to burn fat, once glycogen stores become fully depleted. The downside to this, though, is that your body also produces another toxin, called ketones, which is present in the blood and urine (usually associated with diabetics and persons undergoing starvation.)

Halitosis. It may not be directly responsible, as is the common belief, but it provides ideal conditions for it to occur. The common misconception is that the odor comes from the stomach, but most actually originate from the back of the tongue. It's caused by bacteria that thrive in the nooks and crannies of the tongue, particularly at the very back of the tongue. They feed on amino acids, chemicals that are the building blocks of proteins. The breakdown of amino acids releases hydrogen sulfide (a colorless gas that smells like rotten eggs) and other rancid chemicals. Eating foods high in proteins, such as meat, eggs, and fish, can leave behind enough amino acids in the mouth to feed an army of odor-causing anaerobes (bacteria capable of surviving in an environment with little or no oxygen.)

wow!

you are very knowledgeable on this stuff :cool:

Actually, anything most of you guys tried apparently works, for the simple reason that calories have been reduced enough so you aren't able to maintain your present weight. Watch out, though, because drastic weight loss is mostly water in the beginning (the first two to four days, to be precise.) After which, depending on the macronutrient content of your food intake, weight loss might not necessarily come from fat, but actually muscle and organ tissue. If you'd like to reduce calories, then it would be healthier to maintain the proper proportions of each macronutrient, i.e., protein, carbohydrate, fat, including fiber, water, and micronutrients (vitamins & minerals) while reducing overall portions. Realistically, the body cannot lose more than 1 1/2 lbs. (from excess fat) in a week. That's the absolute limit. Anything more would seriously compromise your health. Aim for getting through the next 4 to 6 hours without starving. That's how much food that your body can efficiently convert to, and completely consume as fuel. Drastic weight loss may even be counterproductive, because the calories burned from exercise will be less, owing to a reduced metabolism which is your body's means of protecting itself. Don't be misled by "quick fixes." There's a hefty price to pay for it. Work with your body; not against it. Fine tuning your metabolism requires that you be sensitive to how your body responds to your eating habits. Eat when you're hungry. Do it slowly; it takes approximately 20 min. for the brain to know you've had enough. Don't eat until you're full, though; just enough to appease your hunger. It's a simple, yet elegant means by which your body guides you on how to obtain proper nourishment. Don't confuse hunger with cravings, though; hunger is a biological response, while cravings are driven primarily by emotions. The clue lies on the choice of food you crave for; they are very specific and more often than not, unhealthy. Starvation will also trigger ravenous appetite. By keeping your body properly nourished, you prevent yourself from being at the mercy of your urges. Keep your efforts manageable. Set realistic goals. Measure your progress. Consistency is key. Treat any backsliding as minor setbacks, and continue on as before. Once you get in the swing of things, your momentum will carry you through. Hopefully, this becomes not just a means of attaining your desired weight, but form part of a healthy lifestyle. Weight loss may be your short-term goal, but in the end, it's all about making the right choices.

very valuable info...where'd you get it? is it your own?

very valuable info...where'd you get it? is it your own?

Hello, HimuraButosay. Like most people, there was a time when I joined the dieting bandwagon. I've tried quite a few fad diets when I was younger, only to realize the negative results of my attempts. I do understand why people wish to lose weight as quickly as possible, people are always on the fastlane. Getting instant results is a powerful means of motivating ourselves to continue our efforts at losing weight. Problem is, our bodies can only take so much abuse. The insidious effects of unwise dieting begins to reflect on our health, gradually. If we don't heed our body's warning signals, it soon takes its toll. It's in our nature to go with what's convenient, but once nature asserts itself, you'll eventually be forced to pay attention. That's when I shifted my focus from trendy to sensible. I've come to realize that nature's way is best, so I dug deep into the wealth of information providing insights on how the body works. The resource is available everywhere. It isn't my idea, of course. I've merely adopted what is considered the healthiest, safest, and most practical approach to dieting. If you'll notice, anyone willing to make a commitment to losing weight can accomplish this without the benefit of anything more than willpower and restraint. You work with what you've got; that is, making deliberate choices of what and how much you eat---nothing more. Nutrition is only one aspect of weight management, however. An active lifestyle is another part of the equation (and incidentally, another topic, altogether.) It begins with a sincere desire to make a positive change with your eating habits. As it is, there are no shortcuts. Once you embrace this way of thinking, however, you'll reap its rewards in the long-term.

Edited by Manticore

Well I heard once that it really cuts down your weight, and fast. But the downside is, its extremely atherogenic... meaning it might get u a heart disease and probably a heart attach eventually.I think I read somewhere that when Atkins was asked bout this, he said the diet is to get thin not to get healthy or something to that effect.