Diet

This has got to be the stupidest question but do indulge me, please.

My friend is asking if it's healthy to have Bananas lang for dinner and lunch for a week.

What is your friend's objective in doing that? If it's to lose weight, then he/she may lose a few, but not necessarily from excess fat. Once the week is over, your friend would gain whatever was lost when he/she goes back to his/her normal eating habits. Your friend is better off eating the way that comes naturally, and, if losing weight is desired, reducing the serving size just enough not to be hungry for the next 4 to 6 hours. This process maybe slow, but since your friend will be eating as he/she is accustomed to, it will be easier to maintain in the long term---where fat is ultimately reduced.

Thanks for the reply :)

Like Thrillseeker I work the night shift. What I do is just reverse the sched of my meals. I eat a lot during my "breakfast", eat less for "lunch" and for dinner I just load up on flavored water.

Try Summit's Clear Sparkling Water Bev. or you might want to try squeezing lemon/calamansi onto your drink. This work well with Apple, Orange and pakwan too.

Diet helps you lose weight because you consume less than what your body needs as fuel. Exercise increases the body's demand for fuel. When done exclusively, either approach will cause you to lose weight, provided all other factors remain constant. You enhance the weight loss effect when you practice both, because you create an even greater caloric deficit.

A new approach towards dieting is gaining new ground. Its aim is to balance body chemistry. "The pH Miracle Program", developed by Dr. Robert O. Young, achieves this by putting emphasis on the consumption of alkaline foods, such as high-water content vegetables, especially the green variety. There are four phases. You begin with the substitution of alkaline for acidic foods for 12 weeks, followed by a week of cleansing which is achieved by consuming foods with naturally laxative properties. You then aim to achieve eating strictly alkaline foods for 7 weeks, after which you reintroduce acidic foods. The maintenance phase requires that 70 to 80 percent alkaline food accounts for your overall consumption.

My impression of this diet is that it is highly restrictive. You generally have no option but to prepare your own food, because they have to be eaten as close to raw as possible, i.e., steamed. Your choices are extremely limited, also. (Even certain vegetables are considered "bad" for you! Not to mention meat, dairy, and grains. Drinking and smoking are also definitely out.) Verdict: if you like a challenge, and are interested in trying something new, be prepared to eat alone. heheheh. :sick:

Edited by Manticore

Geez everyone follows these fad diets.. I was a victim too! atkins, and south beach!

But, nothing will beat a diet that watches your calorie-intake and the calories you burn!! It's the most effective. You can eat anything, just watch your intake! And burn more than what you take.. 100% you're going to slim down!

Geez everyone follows these fad diets.. I was a victim too! atkins, and south beach!

But, nothing will beat a diet that watches your calorie-intake and the calories you burn!! It's the most effective. You can eat anything, just watch your intake! And burn more than what you take.. 100% you're going to slim down!

The thing about these fad diets is they tend to change the kind of foods you eat. No one wants to change their eating habits. It's part of who you are as a person. Agree with you wholeheartedly, nzchick. Calories count. It's so elegant in its simplicity. All one needs is consistency, and you're well on your way to a healthier, more attractive you!

wala bang iniinom lang..tamad me mag gym or mag exercise eh

Sad to say, there really is no "magic pill" that wouldn't compromise your health, hotchic_primrose. You know, I believe that life's just too short not to indulge in the little pleasures it has to offer. Eating is definitely one of these. Dieting is a concept that gets people obsessing over the kinds of food we eat, to the point that it becomes some kind of chore. That's a form of slavery, if you ask me. However, health is something we can't afford to ignore, if we want to continue enjoying life. Come to think of it, anything done excessively always has some dire consequence. Moderation is probably your best bet in having your cake, and eating it, too.

Edited by Manticore
  • 2 weeks later...

I lost quite a lot of weight (3 notches on my belt) about a year ago. I have managed to keep this weight off. In my case a couple of things have helped:

1. Joined a gym. A lot of people are discouraged from joining a gym because they think that if they don't go neary every day it's a waste of money. But even if you only go once a week it's better than not going at all. In my case I to do mostly muscle-building exercises with weights, and less running. This was after I read that it is muscle that burns calories - I know that this is obvious really - so if you build (and maintain) a bit of muscle, you are able to burn off more calories even when you are idle.

2. Ate a lot of apples (or similar hard fruit). I find that these really do fill you up. A lot of people think 'Oh I've eaten ONE apple (or whatever) today, so I won't have any more'. I find if you have say 3 apples a day it helps to stop you from eating so much junk food. Also apples are very good for the digestion - they contain some acid, but the overall balance of an apple is alkaline....

The good news about exercise is, if you have a sedentary lifestyle, even the slightest effort at increasing your activity level will make a difference. Walking is by far the easiest way to get the ball rolling. At a relaxed pace, you're assured to never gain an extra pound. At a moderate pace, you begin to whittle at excess fat. At a brisk pace, you've increased your body's demand for fuel. As fitness levels increase, so is your body's efficiency at burning fat. You'll look better, feel better, and get more enjoyment out of life. Exercise is one of your greatest allies in the battle of the bulge, along with diet, of course. When done in unison, your weight worries are toast (no pun intended. heheheh.)

Manticore,

You've reached the truth about these fad diets. The only healthy solution is a balanced meal, going to the gym and taking your vitamins. We live in a modern society were leading a sedentary lifestyle is very easy.

When we were little, no one had to tell us to go outside and play. We were all thin because we played outside and raised our metabolism rate. We ate anything and everything and it didn't show. But once we stopped going out and playing/exercising ceased the pounds started to come back.

So just start moving people. Be it walking, running, biking just get off the couch or chair. There is no wonder pill and liposuction is only temporary in the battle of the buldge.

• 2 weeks later...
running!! tsaka dance dance revolution...kapagud yun, pagpapawisan ka talaga

running??? a leisure walk will do... the same distance you ran and the distance you walked burns the same calorie... also walking marami ka pa makikita...

and discipline to the food intake you are taking... avoiding fatty and salty foods...not totally avoiding but make it to the minimum...

i myself has difficulties defore...\

:mtc: :mtc: :mtc:

• 2 weeks later...

meorn pa...

mas maigi kung yung bulk ng food mo ay vegies

e.g.

rice(carbo) + vegies

or

vegies + meat

NEVER

rice(or carbs) + meat (or protein)

***expect some side effects like; nanghihina, bloated, slight head aches - these are

normal because it means that your body undergoing detoxification.

(i've tried this - lost at least 5 pounds in a month, just do it religiously)

believe it or not, i have been taking Healthy Option's Green Tea Tablets. as advertised, it is supposed to increase one's thermogenesis by 48% naturally.

since i am on my cutting stage now, i lost 5 pounds already for the last two weeks. From 182 pounds down to 177 pounds. I'm 5'8". I still plan to take this supplement for another month, until I reach around 170-172 pounds.

syempre, i also watch my diet. 1/4 cup of rice lang at dinner time, 1 cup at breakfast and 1 cup at lunch. vegetables and almost all grilled ang ulam. somehow i can say, it worked.

believe it or not, i have been taking Healthy Option's Green Tea Tablets. as advertised, it is supposed to increase one's thermogenesis by 48% naturally.

since i am on my cutting stage now, i lost 5 pounds already for the last two weeks. From 182 pounds down to 177 pounds. I'm 5'8". I still plan to take this supplement for another month, until I reach around 170-172 pounds.

syempre, i also watch my diet. 1/4 cup of rice lang at dinner time, 1 cup at breakfast and 1 cup at lunch. vegetables and almost all grilled ang ulam. somehow i can say, it worked.

about a month ago I weighed at a hefty 193lbs. I felt depressed with the way I looked so I decided to do something about it. I stopped eating rice, sweets, snacks, quit drinking softdrinks and basically stayed away from any processed foods and foods containing sugar. It was tough at first but I got used to it quickly and my body happily adapted.

I lost about 10 lbs. on the first week and about 3 lbs / week thereafter. The reason for the slow weight loss in the succeeding weeks was bec. I allowed myself a"cheat day" wherein I ate anything I wanted once a week (usually on saturdays).

This morning I weighed in at 170 lbs! That's 23 lbs lighter without breaking a sweat! My ideal weight for my height (68in.) is about 153 ( that's in accordance with the body mass index calc) personally I think that would make me look scrawny so I think i'll settle for 160 lbs.

I've also noticed that I don't catch my breath anymore when I'm climbing the stairs and I don't get sleepy after lunch, not to mention I now have all this energy to spare.

Congratulations on your success, vukmeister! It just goes to show that when you really put your mind to it, you'll accomplish your weight loss goals. Allowing yourself an "off" day every week is also a great way of preventing yourself from binging. Yours is an inspiring story, worthy of emulation.

Naku Doc eyes, don't fall into that trap! I can pretty much say that I've already tried every diet in existence, including the cabbage soup which became popular in the late 80's, and all i can say is.. IT TASTES LIKE CRAP!!! True you'll loose weight fast but it's so temporary bec. you'll get tired of it so quickly that you'll start craving for real food in about a week! Now what I did, (pls. refer to my post above) Is just getting rid of the food that we are not supposed to be eating anyway, so bec. I'm not eating all these extra sugar and carbs ( which by the way takes less calories to metabolize) I've created a calorie deficit without starving myself so the end result is unavoidable weight loss.