Diet

Medyo mahaba itong post :

Actually diet should be a banned word - if you want to lose weight - eat "smart" and exercise. Pag sinabi kasing diet ang first thing na naiisip eh magpapakagutom which is wrong (plus it discourages people even before they start) .. saka mababaliw ka lang kakasunod sa mga fad diets - una - low protein high carbs, then naging high protein low cards, then may soup diet, cabbage diet etc etc. You don't need to overthink this - like yung iba na tipong may kitchen scale ka pa tapos sinusukat talaga yung pagkain - parang baliw.

Bottomline is that you should exercise AND eat sensibly - take note na hindi yan exclusive - kailangan pareho mong ginagawa. The easiest thing to do is to avoid junk food (Chippy, Potato Chips) and sweets (chocolate, cakes, deserts, soft drinks). High calorie foods kasi yan - so by avoiding them you can eat more of the other "normal" foods. Kain lang as usual just remember to avoid eating visible fats - like yung taba ng baboy at chicken ... gusto mo kumain ng sinigang - kain ka basta alisin mo yung taba etc. Basta hinay hinay lang - pag busog na tigil na ang kain. Gusto mo ng desert - sige kain ka basta fruits at hindi junk food / sweets. Gusto mo uminom ng gatas - sige basta low fat milk. The main purpose of eating right is to avoid high calorie food - and not to starve yourself. If you can't avoid eating high-calorie food (like may nanlibre ng pizza at sisig sa lunch) then bawi ka na lang by eating fruits sa dinner and by exercising more.

Fats by itself is not fattening - the problem is that fats contain higher calories than those in protein and carbohydrates. In fact kahit wala kang kaining fats kung sobra ka naman sa protein tataba ka din. Kaya iniiiwasan ang fats kasi ito ang easiest way to avoid calories (plus iwas cholesterol na din pero ibang topic na ito).

Like others said - to loose weight kailangan negative calorie mode yung body mo .. meaning you should burn up (exercise) more calories than you eat (by eating sensibly). In fact I have a lot of marathoner and tri-athlete friends - mas malakas pa sa akin kumain pero since panay training sila - andaming nabuburn na calories kaya ayun - super ripped ang mga katawan.

Burning up about 3500 calories a week will make you loose 1 pound which is easier to do if you eat right and exercise. Example eat 200 less calories a day (by eating less junk foods etc) tapos sabayan mo ng 30 min exercise that might burn up 300 calories equals 500 calories less a day. In 7 days time 3500 calories ang nabawas mo so bawas 1-pound rin ang weight mo.

tama yung more water in your diet- this really worked for me,

logically, less rice = less weight kaso ang dapat diyan eh sanayin mo sarili mo na unti unti lumalaki yung ulam:rice ratio bawat subo, subukan mo, magugulat ka na lang na biglang di ka na makakaubos kahit 1 cup of rice

Drink about 2 liters of water per day and i guarantee you'll lose the weight. This has a couple of advantages kasi the less water you drink, the more water you retain ((more water weight)) and vice versa. And for those who don't drink that much water, usually when you go hungry and start craving for something, it's just the body's way of telling you that you're thirsty or even dehydrated.

Medyo mahaba itong post :

Bottomline is that you should exercise AND eat sensibly - take note na hindi yan exclusive - kailangan pareho mong ginagawa. The easiest thing to do is to avoid junk food (Chippy, Potato Chips) and sweets (chocolate, cakes, deserts, soft drinks). High calorie foods kasi yan - so by avoiding them you can eat more of the other "normal" foods. Kain lang as usual just remember to avoid eating visible fats - like yung taba ng baboy at chicken ... gusto mo kumain ng sinigang - kain ka basta alisin mo yung taba etc. Basta hinay hinay lang - pag busog na tigil na ang kain. Gusto mo ng desert - sige kain ka basta fruits at hindi junk food / sweets. Gusto mo uminom ng gatas - sige basta low fat milk. The main purpose of eating right is to avoid high calorie food - and not to starve yourself. If you can't avoid eating high-calorie food (like may nanlibre ng pizza at sisig sa lunch) then bawi ka na lang by eating fruits sa dinner and by exercising more.

Fats by itself is not fattening - the problem is that fats contain higher calories than those in protein and carbohydrates. In fact kahit wala kang kaining fats kung sobra ka naman sa protein tataba ka din. Kaya iniiiwasan ang fats kasi ito ang easiest way to avoid calories (plus iwas cholesterol na din pero ibang topic na ito).

Like others said - to loose weight kailangan negative calorie mode yung body mo .. meaning you should burn up (exercise) more calories than you eat (by eating sensibly). In fact I have a lot of marathoner and tri-athlete friends - mas malakas pa sa akin kumain pero since panay training sila - andaming nabuburn na calories kaya ayun - super ripped ang mga katawan.

Burning up about 3500 calories a week will make you loose 1 pound which is easier to do if you eat right and exercise. Example eat 200 less calories a day (by eating less junk foods etc) tapos sabayan mo ng 30 min exercise that might burn up 300 calories equals 500 calories less a day. In 7 days time 3500 calories ang nabawas mo so bawas 1-pound rin ang weight mo.

tama ka dyan PB

A high protein diet in the long run will cause Acidosis of the blood. Atkins suggests a diet which intructs you to consume food high in animal protein, like processed junk foods and many cooked foods all become acid in the body. Acidosis of the blood occurs when the body is overly acidic and has lost its alkaline reserves. Normal blood ph level is 7.4. and when blood ph drops below the normal level (overly acidic state) the body is more susceptible to illness and disease.

The following are symptoms of acidosis:  insomnia, water retention, migraines, constipation with diarrhea, burning sensation of the tongue and mouth, halitosis (bad breath), lightheadedness, fainting and nausea.

acids, all of which can be countered by adding lotsa fruits in ur diet... and animal fat aint junk

the bad breath associated with lo-carb diets is due to the ketones (byproducts of fat metabolism, which means all that fat in ur gut is getting burned off) that are excreted thru ur mouth... this is completely normal (ever notice why ur breath stinks ryt after waking up? ur body used ur fats to live thru the night) and ketones are readily excreted thru urine... (read: not harmful at all!)

and as for the heart attack issue, bodybuilders have been using variations of the high-protein diet for ages (how else can u get that big?) now, and yet have u ever heard of a stroke epidemic among bodybuilders?

for more info: t-nation.com

acids, all of which can be countered by adding lotsa fruits in ur diet... and animal fat aint junk

the bad breath associated with lo-carb diets is due to the ketones (byproducts of fat metabolism, which means all that fat in ur gut is getting burned off) that are excreted thru ur mouth... this is completely normal (ever notice why ur breath stinks ryt after waking up? ur body used ur fats to live thru the night) and ketones are readily excreted thru urine... (read: not harmful at all!)

and as for the heart attack issue, bodybuilders have been using variations of the high-protein diet for ages (how else can u get that big?) now, and yet have u ever heard of a stroke epidemic among bodybuilders?

for more info: t-nation.com

Atkins allows you to consume animal fat which is high in LDL (Bad Cholesterol). Anything in excess is bad for your body, and a high protein diet in the LONG RUN is no exception.

Atkins allows you to consume animal fat which is high in LDL (Bad Cholesterol). Anything in excess is bad for your body, and a high protein diet in the LONG RUN is no exception.

i know, but DIETARY CHOLESTEROL BY ITSELF HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL... now if ur eating animal fat all the time, smoking, drinking and sleeping, you WILL definitely increase ur blood cholesterol levels... and another thing, BLOOD CHOLESTEROL LEVELS HAVE NEVER BEEN SHOWN TO DIRECTLY INCREASE THE RISK OF HEART ATTACKS... if u have a published scientific study that says otherwise, id love to see it :goatee:

Edited by spitzky

LDL (bad) cholesterol--the main source of cholesterol buildup and blockage in the arteries.

In general, the higher your LDL level and the more risk factors you have , the greater your chances of developing heart disease or having a heart attack.

Despite whatever drawbacks Atkin's diet may be, although when I did the diet I didn't feel any of the side effects, it truly works. I went and did the Atkin's and in the process lossed 30 lbs, from 230 down to 200 just from the diet alone. Although I did become very irritable during the first week. I did modify the Atkins a little by going on a very high protein, low fat, low carb diet. I stayed away from bread, rice, and all sorts of pasta/noodles for about 1 month and lost around 18 lbs.

Afterwards I started doing some walking and workouts for around a year (stopped for about a year na) and lossed an additional 20 lbs. The thing with Atkins is to do it for a short while and supplement with exercise. After a while you go back to your regular diet again.

Be prepared though to find that with rapid weight loss means loose skin ergo the exercise. But it worked pretty well for me. I'm still maintaining my 180 - 185 lb built with only a little care in the diet dept. Some walking and biking takes care of the occasional binges I do.

i know, but DIETARY CHOLESTEROL BY ITSELF HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL... now if ur eating animal fat all the time, smoking, drinking and sleeping, you WILL definitely increase ur blood cholesterol levels... and another thing, BLOOD CHOLESTEROL LEVELS HAVE NEVER BEEN SHOWN TO DIRECTLY INCREASE THE RISK OF HEART ATTACKS... if u have a published scientific study that says otherwise, id love to see it  :goatee:

from the national cholesterol education program:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/wyntk.htm

How Does Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease?

When there is too much cholesterol (a fat-like substance) in your blood, it builds up in the walls of your arteries. Over time, this buildup causes "hardening of the arteries" so that arteries become narrowed and blood flow to the heart is slowed down or blocked. The blood carries oxygen to the heart, and if enough blood and oxygen cannot reach your heart, you may suffer chest pain. If the blood supply to a portion of the heart is completely cut off by a blockage, the result is a heart attack.

What Is Your Risk of Developing Heart Disease or Having a Heart Attack?

In general, the higher your LDL level and the more risk factors you have (other than LDL), the greater your chances of developing heart disease or having a heart attack. Some people are at high risk for a heart attack because they already have heart disease. Other people are at high risk for developing heart disease because they have diabetes (which is a strong risk factor) or a combination of risk factors for heart disease. Follow these steps to find out your risk for developing heart disease.

Edited by macx98
Well I heard once that it really cuts down your weight, and fast. But the downside is, its extremely atherogenic... meaning it might get u a heart disease and probably a heart attach eventually.I think I read somewhere that when Atkins was asked bout this, he said the diet is to get thin not to get healthy or something to that effect.

the founder of the atkins diet died recently of a heart attack :boo:

i tried south beach. first phase lang walang carbs and puro protein. pero eventually you re-introduce carbs again into your diet pero good carbs. carbs that are rich in fiber. basta may list ng bawal kainin based on their glycemic index.

its hard lang kasi most of the available food is carbs e. hirap pa masanay kumain ng ulam pinoy na walang rice, like adobo, nilaga, sinigang....haaaay!

the thing is, the exact cause of heart disease is still a big mystery... and cholesterol is simply the scapegoat... i mean, we need sumthing to blame dont we? and if government institutions reveal the truth (that cholesterol is simply a scapegoat), big drug companies will lose big money from anti-cholesterol drugs... which in turn will mean lesser campaign contributions to congressmen, senators... so u see, this whole issue not only involves science but a whole lotta politics too... so take everything w/a grain of salt :goatee:

i lost 10 pounds on phase one of south beach diet, which lasted 2 weeks.  effective talaga kaya lang susunget ka kasi gustong gusto mo na kumain ng kainin at tinapay kaya lang d pwede!  parang ang tagal tagal ng 2 weeks!

pinakamabilis talaga ang weightloss sa phase one. I've tried the Atkin's diet and it's pretty much the same thing. In the end it's all about trying to figure out how much carbs you can eat to maintain your ideal weight.

Share ko lang tong Diet na inimbento ko, and this actually worked for me, i lost weight within 3 weeks :)

It's actually very simple

1. Eat only 3 meals a day

Set your meals anytime within 6 hours range. For example, in the Morning within 6am to 12noon eat your breakfast, dont eat too many though, the idea is reduction :). Then from 12noon to 6pm you can have another meal, let's say Lunch. Again, don't eat too many. Your next meal would be from 6pm to 12midnight, which means this would be your dinner. Now just incase you're still awake past 12midnight, you can still take another meal no problem about it :)

2. Cut-off on Fatty foods

Always remember the "Do not eat foods" like Cake, Ice-cream, Chocolate... you know it already. If you have to take some, a bite will do.

3. Merienda's and Snacks aren't allowed, remember, only 3 meals a day.

4. If you feel hungry and it's not yet your time to eat, drink water to subdue the hunger.

5. Exercise is important

If you don't have time for any, or if you're too busy because of work, use the stairs. Instead of using elevators, use the stairs in going up and down the floors. MRT Stairs will also do, and try walking often :)

6. Discipline is the key :)

This one worked for me. Good luck :)

Share ko lang tong Diet na inimbento ko, and this actually worked for me, i lost weight within 3 weeks :)

It's actually very simple

1. Eat only 3 meals a day

Set your meals anytime within 6 hours range. For example, in the Morning within 6am to 12noon eat your breakfast, dont eat too many though, the idea is reduction :). Then from 12noon to 6pm you can have another meal, let's say Lunch. Again, don't eat too many. Your next meal would be from 6pm to 12midnight, which means this would be your dinner. Now just incase you're still awake past 12midnight, you can still take another meal no problem about it :)

2. Cut-off on Fatty foods

Always remember the "Do not eat foods" like Cake, Ice-cream, Chocolate... you know it already. If you have to take some, a bite will do.

3. Merienda's and Snacks aren't allowed, remember, only 3 meals a day.

4. If you feel hungry and it's not yet your time to eat, drink water to subdue the hunger.

5. Exercise is important

If you don't have time for any, or if you're too busy because of work, use the stairs. Instead of using elevators, use the stairs in going up and down the floors. MRT Stairs will also do, and try walking often :)

6. Discipline is the key :)

This one worked for me. Good luck :)

actually, if u distribute those 3 meals into 6 total meals, u wud be even better off... same calories, but different meal timing... 6 hours between meals will stall ur metabolism, make u very hungry, and u will tend to eat more... a 3-hour gap between meals, however, will make sure u r never hungry and ur metabolism never stalls...

actually, the fatty foods wont make u as fat as the SUGARY foods will... sugar is the enemy, not fat

the thing is, the exact cause of heart disease is still a big mystery... and cholesterol is simply the scapegoat... i mean, we need sumthing to blame dont we? and if government institutions reveal the truth (that cholesterol is simply a scapegoat), big drug companies will lose big money from anti-cholesterol drugs... which in turn will mean lesser campaign contributions to congressmen, senators... so u see, this whole issue not only involves science but a whole lotta politics too... so take everything w/a grain of salt  :goatee:

So are you saying that the studies are false and this is some kind of a big conspiracy?