Diet

Eat sensibly. Try to beat hunger. Here's something I found.

5 Simple Rules To Beat Hunger

Actually, one rule will do: Lower each meal’s overall score on the glycemic index (GI) – and indication of how quickly a meal drives up your blood sugar – and you’ll feel full longer. The index ranks foods against glucose, a sugar that scores 100. Under 50 is considered low; 50 to 70 is medium; over 70 is high.

1) Be Wary of White

Be wary of white such as white bread (73), bagels (72), croissants (67), doughnuts (76) – just about anything made with white refined flour. Also troublesome are white veggies and grains such as instant rice (72), baguettes (95), potato chips (75), baked potatoes (85). New potatoes (57) are a better choice.

2) Eat Healthy fat

Cook with olive and canola oil, snack on nuts, and make sandwiches with cheese, peanut butter or avocados. Also good is lean protein such as beans, fish, chicken, and lean cuts of beef. All of these score low.

3) Eat Fiber

That means whole-grain breads (53), long-grain or brown rice (55), vegetables (most score low) fruit, and unsweetened fruit juices. Beware, some dried fruits, such as dates (103), have a high GI.

4) Snack Smarter

Skip jelly beans (80) or vanilla wafers (77) in favor of Peanut M&M’s (33), Snickers (55), or chocolate milk (34). Colas (87) and other sodas have a high GI. For salty snacks, pass on the corn chips (72), pretzels (81) and rice cakes (77) in favor of nuts, another low scorer or soy beans (18).

5) Think Balance

Having a baked potato on the side won’t hurt if it’s served with a salad and salmon. It’s overall score of your meal that counts.

Glycemic Index (GI) is a measure of how quickly your body absorbs glucose from a food, relative to glucose, which has a score of 100. When your body digests food, it converts carbohydrates to a sugar called glucose. As blood levels of glucose rise, the pancreas gets the message to release the hormone insulin, which shepherds the sugar into cells. Once there, it’s either burned on the spot for energy or converted to fat and other substances for future use.

Taken from Reader’s Digest – October 2003, “Hungry All The Time? How To Turn Off The Switch” pp 44-47

i have a female friend who works out with me during the weekends. lahat ng cardio ginawa na nya (stairclimbers for 30 minutes, treadmills for 30 minutes) tapos circuit training.... hindi pa rin matanggal yung taba nya sa side tsaka sa likod (sayang, cute pa naman sya....:) )

anyway, dahil sa sobrang desperado. nag south beach diet sya. she buys prepared food from a restaurant specializing in south beach diet for whoa!!!! 1,300 pesos a day....

pero after a week, 10 pounds na nawawala sa kanya... wala na rin masyado yung taba nya sa gilid nya... (pinakita nya sa akin last sunday.... hehehehe.)

Google, effective nga yang South Beach Diet na yan. Pero no carbo lang naman talaga yan for 2 weeks! Imagine pwede ka kumain maski bacon? Basta no carbo lang.. so bale, walang fruits, rice, bread, pasta, etc. Puro meat lang.. for 2 weeks.. tapos after tska pwede unti-unti kumain ulit ng may carbohydrate pero konti lang.

Actually, yan yun ginawa kong diet.. di ko naman kailangan gumastos ng ganyan kalaki. Masarap yung salad sa KFC na Asian.. P60 lang yun.. hehehe.

Google, effective nga yang South Beach Diet na yan.  Pero no carbo lang naman talaga yan for 2 weeks! Imagine pwede ka kumain maski bacon? Basta no carbo lang.. so bale, walang fruits, rice, bread, pasta, etc.  Puro meat lang.. for 2 weeks.. tapos after tska pwede unti-unti kumain ulit ng may carbohydrate pero konti lang.

Actually, yan yun ginawa kong diet.. di ko naman kailangan gumastos ng ganyan kalaki.  Masarap yung salad sa KFC na Asian.. P60 lang yun.. hehehe.

ang mahirap lang talaga dyan blackcat is manghihina ka. actually yung friend ko medyo hinay hinay sya sa cardio ngayon compared to what she was doing before.

di ko ata kaya yan....

The South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet Revolution, and The Zone all favor low-glycemic carbohydrates, essential fats, and an adequate amount of protein and fiber. Be careful that you don't misinterpret what each diet recommends. People have a tendency of making changes to suit their individual preferences. While adapting these diets in the local setting takes a lot of work, it does pay off.

• 2 weeks later...

Need to lose weight in a matter of days? Eat naturally diuretic foods (except caffeine) to stimulate your kidneys. If you tend to retain a lot of water, you may lose as much as 5 lbs. in a day! Most citrus fruits, lean meats, asparagus, cantaloupe, and low-fat cottage cheese are just some of the foods that aid in shedding excess water. You can do this up to two days at a time only; beyond that, there will be no further benefit. Surprisingly, you need to drink adequate amounts of water, which also helps to stimulate your kidneys. To be effective, it is important to avoid salt and sugar when on this diet. In the end, though, what you really want to lose is excess fat. That can be addressed in any number of ways. One very practical method is to stay close to your normal eating habits, but reducing the serving sizes enough to cause a calorie deficit (eating amounts less than what would normally maintain your present weight.) Eat just enough to appease your hunger---no more, no less. Your hunger/satiety signals will provide the best indication of when and how much to eat. You'll find that this gradual way of losing weight is easier to maintain over the long-term. ;)

Try avoiding carbs. I konw that the Filipino diet is full of carbs , sanay kasi tayo sa Rice. But carbs are a quick fix for hunger. Try eliminating carbs and sugar in you diet for a week with a little workout and you will notice weight loss.

Our body uses energy in which at first uses sugar, then carbs then fat. If we consume too much carbs and don't use that supply of energy our body turns then into fat (stored energy).

If we try to elimnate carbs and other starchy food from our diet from our diet, our body searches and looks for other sources of energy, and guess whats next in line????

FAT. If we eliminate carbs and used fat as our source of energy we go into a phase called ketosis in which when we consume protien and fat as our food our kidneys would produce ketones that would help us burn and utilize our stored fat as energy. 2 weeks of this diet would give us a significant amount of results in terms of losing weight. (Trust me I have done it) From 200 lbs to 165 lbs. in 6 months. Some may say its not healthy but check the program of body builders and they do this ketosis thing 6 months before they compete. As long as you do this in moderation like 4 months on 2 months off then 4 months on again until you reach your desire comfortable weight.

Here's a good article .......

Basic Mechanics of Fat Loss on a Keto Diet

The object of a keto diet is to force your body to get into and stay in a glycogen deprived state and maintain a mild state of ketosis (burning fats for energy). In order to achieve this you need to increase the fat intake and restrict the carbs to a minimum.

On a carb based diet, carbs are converted into glucose and this is what the body will use for its primary fuel source. The glucose that is not used for energy is converted to glycogen and stored in the liver for future usage. Now once the stores are full we get a sort of "spill over", and the excess is stored as adipose tissue or fat, as we all are familiar with. You know the stuff around the waistline we call the spare tire or the dreaded "love handles". Now we feel this is proof positive as to why you get fat, not due to eating fat, but due to excessive carbs. "But I don't eat a lot of food and I still get fat." This is possibly due to an intolerance to insulin. You would be surprised how many are walking around borderline pre-diabetics. How many obese people do you see today? Ask some of them what they eat and how much, I bet you would be surprised at the answers. I found most people are struggling with their weight due to this intolerance to insulin, especially as the aging process takes its toll.

The one factor I find interesting is that you are able to control this insulin problem with this diet. We are faced with too many carb related problems, such as Diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure, which are due largely to hyper-insulinism. In the last 10 to 15 years scientists have realized that metabolic disturbances which usually occur in the obese, is caused by a form of insulin resistance. Insulin is a hormone which will constantly rise and fall according to foods we eat. It is better to control the insulin to our advantage, which will be covered in the next few installments, such as after a weight training session.

Increased Energy Levels

Believe it or not glucose is not the preferred fuel source for the body. We subject it to carbs constantly and the problem is carbs are not efficient and clean burning. You can compare it to your car. Would you want to put the lowest grade octane in the tank when it calls for the higher grade? What would happen? Pinging, lousy gas mileage, dirty valves, soon the available power would slow down. Same with the body, after a few days of carb withdrawal, many of Fitnessman's case studies report increased energy to the point where they are bouncing off the walls. With the dense nutritional energy in a gram of fat (stored or dietary) is it any wonder? Free form fatty acids are the actual preferred source of fuel. But with carb based diets the body rarely gets to use them due to the fact that glucose is not only more readily available but is easier to utilize. The body will assume the easiest method but not always the best method for energy. It is really simple. If we feed it carbs, it will use carbs. If we feed it fats, it will use fats. It actually takes less energy to burn carbs which is 4 calories per gram, versus the 9 calories per gram for fats. So unless the body is forced at first to utilize fatty stores it will not. This will be covered more in the next installment.

Try avoiding carbs. I konw that the Filipino diet is full of carbs , sanay kasi tayo sa Rice.  But carbs are a quick fix for hunger.  Try eliminating carbs and sugar in you diet for a  week with a little workout and you will notice weight loss.

Our body  uses energy in which at first uses sugar, then carbs  then fat. If we consume too much carbs and don't use that supply of energy our body turns then into fat (stored energy).

If we try to elimnate carbs and other starchy food from our diet from our diet, our body searches and looks for other sources of energy, and guess whats next in line????

FAT.  If we eliminate carbs and used fat as our source of energy we go into a phase called ketosis in which when we consume protien and fat as our food our kidneys would produce ketones that would help us burn and utilize our stored fat as energy.  2 weeks of this diet would give us a significant amount of results in terms of losing weight. (Trust me I have done it) From 200 lbs to 165 lbs.  in 6 months. Some may say its not healthy but check the program of body builders and they do this ketosis thing 6 months before they compete. As long as you do this in moderation like 4 months on 2 months off then 4 months on again until you reach your desire comfortable weight.

Here's a good article .......

Basic Mechanics of Fat Loss on a Keto Diet

The object of a keto diet is to force your body to get into and stay in a glycogen deprived state and maintain a mild state of ketosis (burning fats for energy). In order to achieve this you need to increase the fat intake and restrict the carbs to a minimum.

On a carb based diet, carbs are converted into glucose and this is what the body will use for its primary fuel source. The glucose that is not used for energy is converted to glycogen and stored in the liver for future usage. Now once the stores are full we get a sort of "spill over", and the excess is stored as adipose tissue or fat, as we all are familiar with. You know the stuff around the waistline we call the spare tire or the dreaded "love handles". Now we feel this is proof positive as to why you get fat, not due to eating fat, but due to excessive carbs. "But I don't eat a lot of food and I still get fat." This is possibly due to an intolerance to insulin. You would be surprised how many are walking around borderline pre-diabetics. How many obese people do you see today? Ask some of them what they eat and how much, I bet you would be surprised at the answers. I found most people are struggling with their weight due to this intolerance to insulin, especially as the aging process takes its toll.

The one factor I find interesting is that you are able to control this insulin problem with this diet. We are faced with too many carb related problems, such as Diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure, which are due largely to hyper-insulinism. In the last 10 to 15 years scientists have realized that metabolic disturbances which usually occur in the obese, is caused by a form of insulin resistance. Insulin is a hormone which will constantly rise and fall according to foods we eat. It is better to control the insulin to our advantage, which will be covered in the next few installments, such as after a weight training session.

Increased Energy Levels

Believe it or not glucose is not the preferred fuel source for the body. We subject it to carbs constantly and the problem is carbs are not efficient and clean burning. You can compare it to your car. Would you want to put the lowest grade octane in the tank when it calls for the higher grade? What would happen? Pinging, lousy gas mileage, dirty valves, soon the available power would slow down. Same with the body, after a few days of carb withdrawal, many of Fitnessman's case studies report increased energy to the point where they are bouncing off the walls. With the dense nutritional energy in a gram of fat (stored or dietary) is it any wonder? Free form fatty acids are the actual preferred source of fuel. But with carb based diets the body rarely gets to use them due to the fact that glucose is not only more readily available but is easier to utilize. The body will assume the easiest method but not always the best method for energy. It is really simple. If we feed it carbs, it will use carbs. If we feed it fats, it will use fats. It actually takes less energy to burn carbs which is 4 calories per gram, versus the 9 calories per gram for fats. So unless the body is forced at first to utilize fatty stores it will not. This will be covered more in the next installment.

ako naman and imho, hindi sa carbs yan eh. asian people eat a lot of rice (the chinese, the japanese, the thais, the vietnamese, the malaysians, the koreans and the indonesians), but you don't see 50% of their population who are overweight. bakit? filipino food is the culprit. we eat lots of oils, fats, fried food, etc. coupled with our traditional genetics (americans and spaniards), ayun, tayo ang matataba dito sa asia.

again, imho ulit....

Well murusame is right, except carbo IS sugar.. and its not really so much as avoiding sugar, but avoiding simple sugars.. or processed carbo.. they are much easier to burn and used that its not surprising that you're starving again in no time.. instead take complex sugar/carbo.. like wheat bread, brown rice.. some pastas.. and cut down on fats din.. dont totally eliminate your sugar, that's the only source your brain uses for energy, and being hypoglycemic might end up causing ur health. Try lookin up bout the glycemic index.. it might help

• 2 weeks later...

Key concepts for staying healthy when on a diet:

Variety - you may find that it helps to eat different foods to keep your diet from getting monotonous, thus preventing boredom from curtailing your efforts at losing excess weight. Eat within food groups, as the vitamins and minerals derived from them vary. You assure yourself of adequate nutrition this way.

Moderation - your goal is to provide your body with sufficient fuel to burn. Eat just enough to get you through the next 4 to 6 hours. Don't allow yourself to starve; when you're ravenous, your appetite will tend to go out of control. Snacks are an essential part of this regime, especially between lunch/dinner and dinner/breakfast. This will consist of low-glycemic fruits and other healthful food choices.

Balance - it is best to have proportionate amounts from each macronutrient: protein, carbohydrate, and fats. No single food source should take precedence. They are all important. Just be careful of the kinds of foods you eat. You're encouraged to eat lean meats, fish and poultry, low-glycemic carbohydrates and essential fats. You must also distribute your meals evenly throughout the entire day. Make your meals conform with your waking/sleeping patterns; so even if you spend your waking hours at night, you'll still follow your normal eating habits (breakfast first, then lunch, and dinner.)

As with any important undertaking, you must be in the right frame of mind. Know what it is you want to accomplish, and be very specific about the results you wish to achieve. If you've made up your mind about losing weight, discipline should be a matter of course. Don't worry about minor setbacks, as this is inevitable. Remind yourself that whatever damage it may have done is only temporary; what matters most is your consistency. Don't go for unrealistic goals. Keep it manageable. The weight you wish to lose comes from excess fat, and you can only expect a 1 1/2 lb. reduction in weight (from fat) per week, tops. Any sudden rise or fall in your weight within a matter of days comes from the retention and elimination of excess water. It is better to adopt healthful eating as part of a lifestyle change, instead of a temporary measure to lose weight. So try to make a habit of it. You'll reap its benefits in the long term.

This has got to be the stupidest question but do indulge me, please.

My friend is asking if it's healthy to have Bananas lang for dinner and lunch for a week.

nyahahahaha! stupidest question that i will answer.... (joke lang pow...)

bananas are plain sugars and carbos.... it lacks other vitamins and minerals like protein, etc. that you need to build dead cells....

my answer, definitely not...

eating hard boiled eggs are better, except perhaps it lacks vitamin c and carbs that you need for energy.

remember. one of the most basic things in diet is to eat a controlled well balanced meal. as mentioned in this thread before, avoid excess sugar, fat and salt.

moderation, ika nga.

how bout people like me that work during night shifts? We could not practice after six since we need to eat normally during midnight or 3am. I had a very hard time doing some exercise in the morning because of being exhausted. Any recommendations is very much appreciated?

thanks..

just eat properly and balanced. don't starve yourself specially or carbs on proteins. load up on vitamin c. maybe around 1500 mg to 2000 mg is enough.

how bout people like me that work during night shifts? We could not practice after six since we need to eat normally during midnight or 3am. I had a very hard time doing some exercise in the morning because of being exhausted. Any recommendations is very much appreciated?

thanks..

Whether you spend your waking hours during the day or night shouldn't really change your eating habits. Eat as you normally would during the day and space your meals exactly the same way. May I refer you to my earlier post? You might find something useful there. :)