Diet

consult a doctor and a nutritionist first before trying to explore whichever food combination you may want to take. one combination might be effective to one person but it doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. unless you know your own nutrient needs and how much your body can tolerate, you can not just assume you can take this or that kind of diet 'coz your friends do. diet without exercise is useless so you must also identify what kind of exercise your body needs. don't rush... nothing comes easy. :cool:

i've been on far too many diets... but found only a few delivered results as promised.

south beach, atkins and carbo addicts have worked for me.

after 6, the tomato soup diet, etc. did not.

although, yes, determination is key.

activity also aids any diet. for a different twist on cardio, try belly dancing. i've been doing this for a while now and it's very effective... not so much in losing weight but in keeping limber and flexible.

also boxing, not t**-bo or cardio boxing, but the real thing, works wonders for those who want to lose weight and tone up at the same time. i think this will be on my next to-do list.

:)

I've tried quite a few diets myself, and I've found that you could lose so much weight in a relatively short period by limiting foods that are high in sugar and starches---carbohydrates, specifically those with a high glycemic index (fast rate of absorption into the bloodstream). Initially, you could expect as much as 5 to 7 lbs. in 4 days. This, however, is largely water weight. If you continue the diet, you could lose approximately a pound per week. In two months, you lose up to 15 or even 20 lbs., and that's not with any exercise, whatsoever. If you get active, you can expect twice as much weight loss. While this is a good way to get quick results, it can be highly restrictive on those who aren't used to avoiding breads, pasta and rice. If you're one of them, then you can probably switch to the wholewheat or wholegrain variety of your favorite foods. Sweets, softdrinks and liquor are definitely out if you wish to go on this type of diet.

Another way to go about it is to eat only when you're hungry. By paying close attention to your body's cues for hunger and satiety, your tendency to overeat could be curbed. This way, you're providing your body with nourishment once you've already used up your own stores of sugar. How much you eat will depend on whether you're still hungry, so you're encouraged to eat slowly. Don't eat until you're full, however; that would mean you've already had too much. Observe whether eating half as much food as before would stop your hunger pangs, then adjust your intake accordingly. This method yields good results over the long term.

There are a number of reasons why people become overweight. Genetics, lifestyle, and even emotions can play a significant role. Of these, only genetics require extensive medical intervention. If you have an eating disorder, you will need to seek professional help, as well. You have to ask yourself whether you eat based on your cravings, mood, or habit in order to rule these out. When you see food as nothing more than a source of nourishment for your body, you take away its power to seduce you.

The South Beach diet is the fad nowadays. I've noticed that it has worked for my family and friends not to mention numerous celebrities.

But still nothing beats cardiovascular excercises. So going to the gym is still the best advice i can give. I've lost about 15 pds, gained confidence in myself, met new friends, and improved my life expectancy just after 2 months in the gym. Hard work does pay off!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...