Diet

Hmm... Sabi nga ni Hippocrates, let your food be your medicine, let your medicine be your food. Pero ganun pa man, dapat moderation lang. Health buffs say we should have the time & effort to stay healthy, and choose wisely, pero masarap, di ba? Kaya nga tuloy pa rin ang pagkain, plus, manufactured food is a very large industry.

Payo ko na lang muna, moderation sa alam na nating hindi nakabubuti sa atin (if we can't avoid them altogether), more natural food, and try cooking and preparing food yourself. Mas maganda and control kasi tayo gagawa ng choices.

It actually really works. I've tried it myself and boy did it work wonders. However, most of the people who do Atkins daw don't do it right. The no carbs or starches diet is only the first part of the Atkins diet. This is just a phase where you make your body increase your metabolic rate by leaps and bounds. However, after the second week, you already begin to reintroduce carbs and starches into your body as this is necessary to fuel your body. Staying too long in the no carbs diet may cause liver problems because it has to deal with the wastes that come from breaking down your body's fat and sadly protein reserves.

There's alot of literature available on the web to do the Atkins diet right. Do your fair share of research before you begin experimenting with your diet.

On a side note, a better way to lose weight for good is by using a 3 prong approach;

balanced diet (eating 4 - 6 small protein rich meals)

cardio exercise (a raised metabolic rate does wonders in your weight loss program)

resistance training (building muscles transforms your body into a calorie burning machine)

If you want to read more, I have similar posts in the "What supplements do you take" forum.

Are there any expert opinions on here about low carbohydrate diets like the Atkins diet?

Dami ko nang nakita na pumayat talaga sa diet na 'to.  Pero ala talagang kanin or any kind of starches and sugars.

Any harmful side effects?

the best low carb diet ive tried is the south beach diet....

ive lost about 33 lbs..lupet right?

the first two weeks, i lost a hefty 16lbs..and the rest i lost in a heartbeat..

unlike other , no need for a crash diet, as long as you follow the 1st 2-wk scheme..the rest of the weeks will be easier to sustain. the 1st two weeks intends to lessen your craving for sugar and carb..usually these are the weeks wherein you will loose a lot..some tend to be cranky and ive personally experienced high blood..but darn, i lost all those big bellies and those cellulites...so what the heck,right? :)..worked for most of my cousins too..give it a try..(though you may want to ask your doctor first, just to be sure :) )

Ive tried Southbeach before.. This diet will really work wonders pro for me it was really hard.. You really have to be disciplined and AVOID all the foods taht are not allowed for the diet to work best on you.. Yun ung di ko kinaya, I felt so deprived :( Downside of this diet is that you always feel tired because of the absence of carbs in your system..

Ako ngyn, I just try to avoid carbs as much as I can plus work out.... Pero you should try South Beach, if you just have the will power this is one great diet! Good Luck!

I tried Atkins Diet too... i lost 10lbs for the first 2 weeks in the phase I. But before that i was really eager to lose weight na i even tried slimming tea and took it for almost 2 mos. Maganda nito pag nasa bahay ka lang para ala dyahe pag need mo restroom. I bought a lot of stuff to measure and track my weight and body. I have bathroom scale, tape measure, and the one that you put in ur tummy.

After the slimming tea of 2 mos i was almost there already, then to compliment it i also did Atkins diet for 3 or 4 weeks, stopped Atkins, then continued w/ slimming tea for another months....and wow i was able to use my old clothes and pants after 4 mos. I took the tea twice a day. One in the morning and another at night before going to bed.

I suggest take the bioslim. It works! Until now i'm still using it..for maintenance. If you feel like you need to lose weight, take it. I was 135lbs( weight), 5'7" (height) before getting pregnant, after giving birth i gained too much i was like 170lbs. After two weeks of giving birth to my first baby, i really planned on what to do na to lose weight right away. My friends would say ang dali ko daw pumayat. Well, takes a lot of courage and discipline to do it. I'm telling yeah its hard but u've got to have the will!

At that time i don't wanna buy new clothes coz ibig sabihin non un na ung susundan kong shape. I hate it so much ...i couldn't wear my pants, my blouses..so there i decided to really slim down. After the diet I'm back to 137lbs now. Continues diet pa rin coz there's a tendency na mag gain ka ulit. everytime this happens to me... i take in slimming tea and of course do't eat too much carbs.

sa akin, in long term, harmful yan. you can only do that thing (like carbo deficiency) for short term lang. and short term means, something like between two to three weeks lang. after that, you have to balance your diet again using the 60-30-10 diet ratio, wherein 60% are carbs, 30% protein and 10% fat.

why?

a. long term carbo deficiency can cause blood sugar to drop drastically.

b. it puts a load on the kidneys to process additional proteins and lack of fiber/sugar;

c. if you are active, where will you get your energy source?

imho lang....

i agree with south beach. some of my friends tried it and has great results. for me ive tired the no carbs diet it worked but only foe a week or two. because prolonging the no carb intake can damage the kidneys. i suggest everyone to have cardio exercises. keeps the weight down and helps the heart to be in great shape. try nyo din. okay :P :cool: :mtc:

Carbohydrates have had a bad rap in the battle against the bulge, although it wasn't always the case. The reason behind this recent development is that it was found that carbohydrates have a pronounced effect on our blood sugar levels. Most popular diets like Atkins and South Beach stress the importance of moderating our consumption of carbs, placing emphasis on low-glycemic foods. A few interesting things about carbs:

- Sugar makes us retain water, which is why you notice a dramatic weight loss in a matter of days, especially once you stop drinking softdrinks or eating sugary foods.

- Sugar-rich foods give you an energy boost, but it does not last for very long. This is because your body has a control mechanism that eliminates excess sugar in the bloodstream, which is insulin. Sugar can be stored in the muscles and in the liver. The rest is converted into fat. Consuming excess sugar forces the body to dump them into your fat cells.

- A certain amount of sugar is required to burn fat properly. When levels aren't adequate, you experience ketosis. (By-products of incompletely burned fat are introduced into the bloodstream.)

- An abnormally high protein-to-sugar ratio will cause you to experience a rapid heartbeat, heat spells, profuse sweating, aggressive behavior, and a greater likelihood of losing your temper.

Carbs are essential for your health, it's just the kind and amount of carb you should focus on in order to yield the best results in losing and maintaining your desired weight. For as long as abstinence from carbs is brief, the cleansing period advocated by some popular diets shouldn't be detrimental to your health. While this is helpful in eliminating sugar cravings, it is essential to reintroduce healthy carbs afterwards.

It does more harm than good to pass along incomplete/flawed or patently untrue "information." Not to mention irresponsible...

1) BBQs - anything cooked over a fire, and thus subject to carbon charring, develops carcinogen compounds. As boy_popoy notes, Moderation is the key (to any kind of activity). Note that, and this is never taken into account by doomsayers, the amounts required to produce cancer in a human being are _orders of magnitude_ in the range of ludicrousness. In other words, you'd have to consume *daily* amounts that would k*ll you from other things (as in, waaaaay too much volume to begin with) long before you ever develop cancer from it. Too, it should be mentioned that predisposition to cancers are more genetic than environmental.

2) Shrimp/Prawns and Vitamin C - Patent Falsehood! Come on folks, all you have to do is try to even find (ONE!) report of such a fatality. Heck, I take Vitamin C supplements daily (this is over and above any other daily source of Vitamin C - such as juices, fruit, veggies, etc), and am a BIG consumer of such shellfish - I'm still typing ain't I? And who hasn't ever squeezed some lemon (or other citrus) onto shrimps and/or prawns?

3) Pork - more hysteria. Yes, pork has the capacity for evil as noted - but no more so than chicken. Note that more food-related deaths are attributed to chicken and beef than to pork - ever! Besides, the PI being such a pork-loving country, you would think that more people would be reported dead due to pork meat if this were true.

4) Shampoo & SLS - yup, you guessed it, more patent falsehood. Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) is an ingredient in a LOT of products. Toothpaste for one. It's used to promote the formation of foam. Yes it is an irritant - but only in MASSIVE doses (see item 1), and only if kept in contact for extended amounts of time. Irritant != Carcinogen. The fact that it is "used to scrub garage floors" is a statement that does not even matter - of course it's used for that! Didn't we just say that SLS is an ingredient used to promote the formation of foam? Hello! It makes sense that ANY cleaning product that produces foam must contain some amount of SLS. The SLS itself is NOT the cleaning agent. People should learn to parse information better. Lastly, again, simply try to find any medical documentation showing fatalities due to shampoo-caused cancer.

5) Noodles & wax - jeez, who comes up with these things? On the simplest reading (again, understand what you're reading), the person who had been eating such had/has cancer, doctor found wax, therefore wax caused cancer? Errrm, hello? Excuse me? Run that by me again? Even if this were true (the whole "too much wax in foods" - note that a LOT of foods, notably candies, contain some form of wax - all you need to do is read the ingredients) there is nothing special about wax that the body would retain it as a lining in your stomach. Anything swallowed and NOT metabolized/digested by the stomach is passed on with your excrement. Not to invoke a nasty mental picture, but all you need to do is recall those times when you passed "corny" sh*t after eating a lot of corn. Duh!

The moral of the story? Read and UNDERSTAND what you're reading. And THEN confirm it by actually doing your own further research. After all, why would you believe something someone once told someone who knew this other guy who worked with this girl who takes the same bus who... :lol:

tried it and it worked. but i stopped since i started resistance training and needed the carbs for fast fuel.

in any case, the atkins work since reducing ur carbs drastically reduces ur calorie intake since majority of our calories per day come from carbs.

its also not to be used for a long period of time. burst burst lang.

when i stopped, i still lost weight....

sa huli....in any diet...they all boil to the same formula...

INPUT < OUTPUT = WEIGHT LOSS

simple as that :)

for me ang naging effective para mabawasan ung weight and to maintain ur ideal weight is eat more veggie dan meat, pero hindi pwedeng walang meat for protein tas riggid exercise like basketball,soccer, or tennis... un tipong hihingalin ka talaga..ideal din ang swimming..para magkacurve talaga ung body mo.. :thumbsupsmiley: just dont be affraid na sumakit ang katawan nyo on your first few tries part talaga yan. ika nga e. " NO PAIN NO GAIN" :evil:

• 4 weeks later...

surely you'll lose weight pero be very very careful...the damages it will cause to your system will not be apparent until a few years after when your body gets sick...no right minded physician will recommend such diets as the y go against the principles of physiology and biochemistry in maintaining healthy cells and organs

• 2 months later...

Foods For Cancer Prevention

Of the many diseases that affect people these days, cancer is among the most feared. But despite a wealth of scientific data, most people remain unaware of how they can reduce their risk of developing cancer.

According to the National Cancer Institute, as much as 80 percent of all cancers are due to identified factors, and thus are potentially preventable. Thirty percent are due to tobacco use, and as much as 35 to 50 percent are due to foods. It is easy to control these and other risk factors.

What Is Cancer?

Cancer begins as a single abnormal cell that begins to multiply out of control. Groups of such cells form tumors and invade healthy tissue, often spreading to other parts of the body.

Carcinogens are substances that promote the development of cancerous cells. They may come from foods, from the air, or even from within the body. Most carcinogens are neutralized before damage can occur, but sometimes they attack the cell’s genetic material (DNA) and alter it.

It takes years for a noticeable tumor to develop. During this time, compounds known as inhibitors can keep the cells from growing. Some vitamins in plant foods are known to be inhibitors. Dietary fat, on the other hand, is known to be a promoter that helps the abnormal cells grow quickly.

Fiber Fights Cancer

In 1970, British physician, Dennis Burkitt, observed that a high-fiber diet reduces diseases of the digestive tract. He observed that in countries where diets are high in fiber (that is, plant-based diets), there were fewer cases of colon cancer.

Around the world, this has proven true. The highest fiber intakes are found in non-industrialized nations where meat is scarce and plant foods fill the menu. Animal products contain no fiber. The U.S. and other Western nations whose diets are based upon animal products have the highest rates of colon cancer.

While no one is certain exactly how fiber protects against digestive tract disorders, there are several possibilities. By definition, fiber cannot be digested by humans early in the digestive process. It moves food more quickly through the intestines, helping to eliminate carcinogens. It also draws water into the digestive tract. The water and fiber make fecal matter bulkier, so carcinogens are diluted.

Bile acids are secreted into the intestine to help digest fat; there, bacteria can change the acids into chemicals which promote colon cancer. Fiber may bind with these bile acids and evict them from the intestines. Also, bacteria in the colon ferment the fiber creating a more acidic environment which may make bile acids less toxic.

Fiber is also protective against other forms of cancer. Studies have shown that stomach cancer and breast cancer are less common on high-fiber diets. Fiber affects levels of estrogens in the body. Estrogens are normally secreted into the intestine, where the fiber binds with the hormone and moves it out of the body. Without adequate fiber, the estrogen can be reabsorbed from the intestine into the bloodstream. High levels of estrogen are linked to a higher risk of breast cancer.

In the U.S., the average daily fiber intake is 10 to 20 grams per day. Experts recommend 30 to 40 grams per day. The best sources of fiber are whole grains, beans, peas, lentils, vegetables, and fruits. Foods that are closest to their natural state, unrefined and unpeeled, are highest in fiber.

Fat Raises Cancer Risks

Cross-cultural studies have revealed that the populations with the highest levels of fat consumption are also the ones with the highest death rates from breast and colon cancer. The lowest rates are in groups with the lowest consumption of fats. Migration studies help to rule out the influence of genetics.

Many studies indicate that fat in foods increases one’s risk for cancer, and it may also adversely affect breast cancer survival rates for those who have cancer.

Although the total amount of fat one eats is of concern, there is evidence that animal fat is much more harmful than vegetable fat. One study noted a 200 percent increase in breast cancer among those who consume beef or pork five to six times per week. Dr. Sheila Bingham, a prominent cancer researcher form the University of Cambridge, notes that meat is more closely associated with colon cancer than any other factor. Meat and milk are also linked to both prostate and ovarian cancers.

How Fat Affects Cancer Risks

Fat has many effects within the body. It increases hormone production and thus raises breast cancer risks. It also stimulates the production of bile acids which have been linked to colon cancer.

The average diet in the U.S. is about 37 percent fat. The National Cancer Institute suggests that people lower that percentage down to 30 percent; however, studies have shown that fat intake should be well below 30 percent to have an anti-cancer affect. Ten to 15 percent is more likely to be helpful.

The Importance of Vegetables

Not only are vegetables low in fat and high in fiber, they also contain many cancer-fighting substances. Carotenoids, the pigment that gives fruits and vegetables their dark colors, have been shown to help prevent cancer. Beta-carotene, present in dark green and yellow vegetables, helps protect against lung cancer and may help prevent cancers of the bladder, mouth, larynx, esophagus, breast, and other sites.

Vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, kale, turnips, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts contain flavones and indoles which are thought to have anti-cancer activities.

Vitamin C, found in citrus fruits and many vegetables, may lower risks for cancers of the esophagus and stomach. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, neutralizing cancer-causing chemicals that form in the body. It also blocks the conversion of nitrates to cancer-causing nitrosamines in the stomach.

Selenium is found in whole grains and has the same antioxidant effects as vitamin C and beta-carotene. Vitamin E also has this effect. Caution is advised in supplementing selenium, which is toxic in large doses.

Alcohol

Excessive intake of alcohol raises one’s risks for cancers of the breast, mouth, pharynx, and esophagus. When combined with smoking, these risks skyrocket. It also raises risks for stomach, liver, and colon cancers.

Vegetarians Are Better Off

All the evidence points to a low-fat, high-fiber diet that includes a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans, as being the best for cancer prevention. Not surprisingly, vegetarians, whose diets easily meet these requirements, are at the lowest risk for cancer. Vegetarians have about half the cancer risk of meat-eaters.

Vegetarians have higher blood levels of beta-carotene. They consume more vitamin C, beta-carotene, indoles, and fiber than meat-eaters. Vegetarians also have stronger immune systems. German researchers recently discovered that vegetarians have more than twice the natural killer cell activity of meat-eaters. Natural killer cells are specialized white blood cells that attack and neutralize cancer cells. Also, vegetarians tend to eat more soy products than meat-eaters. Soybeans contain many substances that are anticarcinogens, including lignans and phytoestrogens. A diet that is rich in soybeans may be one reason for the lower incidence of breast cancer in Asia.

Conclusion

A cancer prevention diet is one that is high in fiber, low in fat (especially animal fat), and includes generous portions of fruits and vegetables. It also minimizes or excludes alcohol. The best diets are pure vegetarian diets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apollo is correct on all items mentioned.

I'm a health buff myself after suffering from many health related things.

Food is really your medicine.

Regarding

BBQs, yes, we avoid it.

Regarding shrimp, yes, we avoid it too.

Regarding pork, yes, we avoid it, I and my son are allergic to chicken too, we substituted goat meat... very clean.

Instant noodles? Cardboard with MSG.

I also avoid distilled water.

We threw away our microwave oven.

We do not eat canned food or preserved foods.

We stress on freshness, enzyme activity of uncooked and lightly cooked vegetables.

No junk food, no hot dogs, no hams, no tocinos.

We have red and brown rice.

We eat markedly less bread, less white rice and other refined carbs.

We avoid fastfood places.

We invest in organic products and a full time cook.

The whole family is on a health kick, we're healthy glowing and don't get sick.

We got tired of being sick, fat and infertile.

Now we are Healthy, Sexy and Horny. :thumbsupsmiley:

Ha ha ha, could not resist, mtc kasi ito.

Edited by babymaker