Diet

I eat a light protein-carb snack 1 hour before a workout, and nothing till I workout. Post-gym, protein snack after 1 hour, with or followed by a complex carb snack. Need to eat within two hours after or else you're starved.

This is my dilemma ... I got the eating before the work out part down pat - a bout w/ hypoglycemia several times during the work out made me really conscious of eating before I go to the gym...

Its the eating after that stumps me... whats a protein snack? Whats a complex carb snack? What are my portions?

Help!

Low carb/high protein are over-rated... its better to balance everything out and reduce overall calories

Hmmm... Do you mean 1:1:1 ratio for carbs, fats and protein? In my opinion, I find the 2:2:1 ratio the best for a normal person striving to be fit. It means 40% from carbs, 40% from protein and 20% from fats. When striving to to "cut down" I slightly raise my protein intake, and lower my carbohydrate consumption. A rough estimate would be 50-60% protein, and the remaining would be a balance between carbs and fats. Although I must admit that this diet is not really realistic for the long term.

This is my dilemma ... I got the eating before the work out part down pat - a bout w/ hypoglycemia several times during the work out made me really conscious of eating before I go to the gym...

Its the eating after that stumps me... whats a protein snack? Whats a complex carb snack? What are my portions?

Help!

To make things simpler, 30 mins. to an hour before working out, you may want to have 2 slices of wheat bread with egg salad/cottage cheese/lean ham and etc. After working out, take a bottle of gatorade and maybe you might want to try whey protein drinks.

To make things simpler, 30 mins. to an hour before working out, you may want to have 2 slices of wheat bread with egg salad/cottage cheese/lean ham and etc. After working out, take a bottle of gatorade and maybe you might want to try whey protein drinks.

That is what I do for pre work out...

Post work out -- gatorade and dinner? How soon after workout should I eat dinner?

Whats a good whey protein drink for a female?

Thanks!

Hmmm... Do you mean 1:1:1 ratio for carbs, fats and protein? In my opinion, I find the 2:2:1 ratio the best for a normal person striving to be fit. It means 40% from carbs, 40% from protein and 20% from fats. When striving to to "cut down" I slightly raise my protein intake, and lower my carbohydrate consumption. A rough estimate would be 50-60% protein, and the remaining would be a balance between carbs and fats. Although I must admit that this diet is not really realistic for the long term.

Depending on the activity level of the individual, but the average is 40-30-30...

People usually eat way too much protein and that makes them fat

That is what I do for pre work out...

Post work out -- gatorade and dinner? How soon after workout should I eat dinner?

Whats a good whey protein drink for a female?

Thanks!

mam, u can ask head coach jason about ut so called dilemma im sure he can help u out

chek out eclipsegym.com for his contact details

he rarely logs in na ksi e :cool:

as for eating before and after work out, basta small portions lang

don't eat like the cookie monster

i usually eat small cup of rice (ung sini-serve ng mcdo) and chicken breast b4 work out

tpos regular dinner na after

meron nga kumakain ng chips every rest after sets e :D

Eat light snack of carbs or drink protein shake 30 mins - 1hr before workout to give you a boost of energy and prevents you from feeling tired.

You need to eat combi of carbs and protein or drink a protein shake after workout to prevent muscle catabolism with in the hour. In other words eat after workout to prevent further muscle breakdown and jumpstart the muscle building immediately.

I usually workout in the afternoon after my work which is 5:30pm or 6:pm so that I can eat dinner at 7 after my workout.

Important:

Do not sleep 3 hours after workout.

Do not sleep 3 hourse after eating.

Sleeping shuts down our digestive system preventing nutrients from reaching our muscles.

I agree with the post about maintaining a ballanced diet. I eat anything and everyting - in moderation offcourse. I don't deprive myself of the food I like, but I also never indulge. My being a sandwhich and salad person also helped.

One thing I do is to eat smaller portions, but eat more often. Instead of the regular breakfast / lunch / dinner where you tend to eat heavy, I eat 5-6 times a day in smaller portions. Think of it like your adding your total food for the day and dividing it by five. I avoid feeling full, and feel lighter the whole day. I read somewhere that the food you don't "burn" in 2-3 hours is what gets stored as fat.

Works for me.

try to talk to a Nutritionist para malaman ang MBR nyo (metabolism rate) so you can control your calorie intake. Nutrition is a subject in Nursing so imposibleng wala kayo kakilala na Nursing student. GF ko kse nursing student e hehe... ginawan nya ko computation

Guys can you give us a sample meal that you usually eat from day to day?

avoid fast food and instant meals that is not that nutritious, try colorful meals like veggies, fruits and phyto-protein. drink atleast three liters of water a day. avoid sodas and try to have 30 minute walk a day.

do you guys drink? i have 2 drinks a night, is that too much

yes i do but everything must be in moderation baka naman yung inom mo parang walang bukas na. :thumbsupsmiley: peace!

try to talk to a Nutritionist para malaman ang MBR nyo (metabolism rate) so you can control your calorie intake. Nutrition is a subject in Nursing so imposibleng wala kayo kakilala na Nursing student. GF ko kse nursing student e hehe... ginawan nya ko computation

i'm a wellness coach and i do determine your MBR, RBR (resting metabolic rate), your lean body mass and target weight, how many calories you need to eat to loose weight and your daily protein needs. all for free

Its always better to eat AT LEAST a piece of sandwich before your workout (not heavy meals) especially when you workout after coming from the office.

Its always better to eat AT LEAST a piece of sandwich before your workout (not heavy meals) especially when you workout coming from the office. post workout meals will be dependent upon the time you finish (i.e if you finish your workout just before lunch then your post-workout meal is your lunch, if youre done before dinner then your dinner will be your post-workout meal etc.)

Edited by Wyld
You might be interested in this... there's a website that has an assessment of the calories per meal

www.thecaloriecounter.com

just remember a person's average consumption is between 1500-2000 cal/day

In addition, for filipinos with small to medium built (average) 1200-1500 cal/day and 100-150 grams of protein/day :thumbsupsmiley:

In addition, for filipinos with small to medium built (average) 1200-1500 cal/day and 100-150 grams of protein/day :thumbsupsmiley:

I beg to refute your statement above freezer. 1200-1500 calories a day??? Too low my friend. I'd say 2000 to 2500 calories a day. And 100-150 grams of protein? Where did you get this info? If you're referring to athletes or bodybuilders for that matter, then obviously protein requirements will need to go up. But for the individual who doesn't engage in strenuous activities, US FDA only recommends at least 20 grams a day for the ordinary individual. I think you are misleading alot of people.

do you guys drink? i have 2 drinks a night, is that too much

If you must drink stay away from beer, even light beer as it has too much carbs.

The safest drink to drink for dieters would be a Bacardi and Diet Coke - LowCal (65 calories in a shot of Bacardi, 0 calories in Diet Coke), LowCarb (0 Carbs if the Bacardi ad is to be believed).

been working out for almost 2 weeks now and i only lost 3lbs. that's also with reduced rice and no sweets already. when i go hungry, i eat a piece of banana. that's it. and i only lost 3lbs. i need help. my target is to lose 40lbs.

At this stage, your weight loss is probably water weight loss.

Dont starve yourself - the more you starve yourself the more chances there are that you would backslide and binge.

Learn to eat 4-6 small meals a day - that means you should be eating every 4 - 6 hours ... but the portions should be small. Rice is still okay as long as you dont eat kilos and kilos of it. Fruits are good but beware of its sugar content.

High protein, low carb diet with lots of vegetables (at least 6 kinds of colored veggies) would be ideal; have at least 3 servings of low fat milk / milk products a day - that includes low fat milk, low fat yogurt, low fat cheese etc. Drink LOTS and LOTS of water - as in lots. It not only fills you up it also cleans you out and clears your skin.

40 lbs is a huge target - set realistic chunks of weight loss as your subtargets. And remember, Rome was not built in a day ... you wont lose 40 lbs in a month ... not if you intend to keep the weight you have lost off.

PS - Check your workout routine - make sure youre doing enough cardio; but make sure you balance it off w/ resistance (weight training) - you need to lose fat and build muscle.