Traffic Problem In Metro Manila (Merged Thread)

Sounds good. Except a budget is needed to get these projects up and running. Without the necessary budget, these projects will never see the light of day.

Right. Tax money will probably be diverted to the thieves in government. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. According to my parents, government officials weren't as corrupt during the post-war years as they are today. These days, politicians steal with impunity. Good thing media has taken an active role in identifying crooks in government.

I digress. Anyway, like I said, we need an efficient and effective mass transport system if we are to extricate ourselves from the daily traffic jams. Hopefully, media will help pressure government about the importance of providing the people with an efficient and effective mass transport system.

Right. Tax money will probably be diverted to the thieves in government. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. According to my parents, government officials weren't as corrupt during the post-war years as they are today. These days, politicians steal with impunity. Good thing media has taken an active role in identifying crooks in government.

I digress. Anyway, like I said, we need an efficient and effective mass transport system if we are to extricate ourselves from the daily traffic jams. Hopefully, media will help pressure government about the importance of providing the people with an efficient and effective mass transport system.

And like you said, this will probably not happen in the near future because of corruption. Corruption will probably reach epidemic proportions if and when Binay becomes our next president. If Erap had his "walang kamaganak, walang kaibigan" Gloria had her "matatag na republika," and Pnoy had his "tuwid na daan/kung walang corrupt, walang mahirap" slogans, I wonder what Binay's will be. Maybe it will be "Trillanes, you can run but you can't hide." :lol: :lol: Or perhaps, "ganito kami sa Pilipinas" Department of Tourism's by-line will be replaced to "it's more corrupt in the Philippines."

• 2 weeks later...

the real solution to traffic is proper enforcement. it doesn't matter if you have 100 or 1000 or even 10000 traffic enforcers out there, if they have no idea what they're doing then it won't make a difference.

kahit buong araw ka kumaway diyan sa gitna ng kalsada wala rin silbi, dagdag lang sa traffic kasi naka harang sa mga lane.

If the mass commute system is upgraded (more mrts, bus rapid transport, phase out old public utility vehicles) then masosolusyonan ang traffic dito. I myself will start to commute kung hindi hassle, ang hirap kay maghanap ng parking dito sa Manila (ex. I usually have to wait 20 to 30 mins just to be able to park in Mega Mall)

I still think the idea of 'boundary' system for public transpo system is a very bad idea. That's the reason why taxis drivers are picky with passengers, why jeepneys stop in the middle of the road to pick up passengers, buses converting the long stretch of edsa as a public transpo terminal.

Make these franchises pay their drivers a fixed monthly salary and I think it will solve so many traffic dilemmas.

I still think the idea of 'boundary' system for public transpo system is a very bad idea. That's the reason why taxis drivers are picky with passengers, why jeepneys stop in the middle of the road to pick up passengers, buses converting the long stretch of edsa as a public transpo terminal.

Make these franchises pay their drivers a fixed monthly salary and I think it will solve so many traffic dilemmas.

I agree 100%.

• 3 weeks later...

To ease the traffic situation in manila the government should improve the livelihoods in the provinces. Encourage filipinos that manila isnt the only place where money can be gained. Lessen the people here in manila and surely the traffic situation and even the mrt problems would lessen. Well thats what i think.

• Like (+1) 3

I agree. But the government must put up the necessary infrastructure in the provinces so businesses can relocate there. Such infrastructure include road construction, low cost housing for employees, improve electric service, provide tax incentives to businessmen who relocate to provincial areas, etc. The government should also try to entice foreign investors to set up businesses in provincial areas. This will translate to job creation, development of the local economy in these provinces, and provide local government units with much needed taxes.

Ultimately, decongesting Metro Manila is the ideal solution. The metropolis is just too congested now.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree. But the government must put up the necessary infrastructure in the provinces so businesses can relocate there. Such infrastructure include road construction, low cost housing for employees, improve electric service, provide tax incentives to businessmen who relocate to provincial areas, etc. The government should also try to entice foreign investors to set up businesses in provincial areas. This will translate to job creation, development of the local economy in these provinces, and provide local government units with much needed taxes.

Ultimately, decongesting Metro Manila is the ideal solution. The metropolis is just too congested now.

And here’s the epic problem why the government can’t set up more infrastructures in the provinces, and that is the endemic corruption especially in the local government. So expect a huge influx of people from many provinces in Metro Manila especially nowadays that the classes in school have just started.

• Like (+1) 2

And here’s the epic problem why the government can’t set up more infrastructures in the provinces, and that is the endemic corruption especially in the local government. So expect a huge influx of people from many provinces in Metro Manila especially nowadays that the classes in school have just started.

Correct, kung sa tingin natin grabe ang corruption sa Metro Manila. Mas malupit dun ang mga LGUs dun parang kingdom ang set up.

Ang dali pa nila pumatay ng tao dun pag nilaglag mo sila sa corruption nila.

• Like (+1) 2

All I could think of are these three insights (as what the others may have also):

1. Regulation - traffic nowadays is tremendously different, kaunting ulan lang, o sweldo, pasukan, biyernes, lalo na Christmas, grabe na kagad ang traffic. It's because the volume of vehicles that are on the streets. It's the influx of vehicles where the working class now can afford at a very affordable price and easy payment terms. Therefore, a strict regulation needs to be enforced (all sorts of number scheming, prohibition of 15+ year-old vehicles, tax on procurement of cars, etc.)

2. Behavior - I observed on my daily travel to work that one of the biggest factors of sudden traffic is "singitan" and hindi pagbibigayan. Didn't these idiots knew that it spills out more time if you don't give way and block the way instead?!

3. Enforcement - Critical thinking is what needed the most in traffic enforcement. I also observe that most enforcers just stay on one spot and kept on waving their hands and funky flashlights. They're not really fixing where the traffic is coming from. They even create a hysteria whenever they approach the public utility vehicles assuming they might be caught, so the result, they move out and congest themselves away from the enforcers. bam, traffic again.

• Like (+1) 2

All I could think of are these three insights (as what the others may have also):

1. Regulation - traffic nowadays is tremendously different, kaunting ulan lang, o sweldo, pasukan, biyernes, lalo na Christmas, grabe na kagad ang traffic. It's because the volume of vehicles that are on the streets. It's the influx of vehicles where the working class now can afford at a very affordable price and easy payment terms. Therefore, a strict regulation needs to be enforced (all sorts of number scheming, prohibition of 15+ year-old vehicles, tax on procurement of cars, etc.)

2. Behavior - I observed on my daily travel to work that one of the biggest factors of sudden traffic is "singitan" and hindi pagbibigayan. Didn't these idiots knew that it spills out more time if you don't give way and block the way instead?!

3. Enforcement - Critical thinking is what needed the most in traffic enforcement. I also observe that most enforcers just stay on one spot and kept on waving their hands and funky flashlights. They're not really fixing where the traffic is coming from. They even create a hysteria whenever they approach the public utility vehicles assuming they might be caught, so the result, they move out and congest themselves away from the enforcers. bam, traffic again.

These are excellent observations. In Singapore, cars are priced extremely high and there are so many requirements before a permit is given to the car buyer. Also, certain roads are off-limits to some cars which do not have a permit to access thee roads.

It would be nice if we could adopt some of these measures to limit the number of new cars entering Metro Manila roads every single day.

It is imperative to improve public mass transportation. In the end, this would be a great alternative to buying and driving cars. Unfortunately, public mass transportation in Metro Manila is primitive compared to public mass transportation in more advanced nations such as Hong Kong, Korea, Japan and Singapore.

Massive investments in modernizing public mass transportation in major urban areas such as Metro Manila is imperative in order to decongest Metro Manila roads.

• Like (+1) 1

traffic system in SG won't work here in pinas, subukan lang ng govt maglagay ng mga gantry sa lansangan sigurado kakatayin na yan ng mga bakal boys.... only effective method i could think of is stringent method of imposing fines. Tingnan ko lang kung di pa magtino mga local drivers nyan.

Walang lagay-lagay, pag nagkamali multa agad. Pag pumalag, sa presinto na lang magpaliwanag.

Edited by glut_func

full 1day ban on all private vehicles...no window hour!

strict no parking on major streets from 8am to 10pm

no bus on major NCR roads.

implement strict loading and unloading station..

no parking lot not eligible to buy a car!

more public train stations, kung pwede lng ZIPLine hehehe

Edited by darksoulriver

traffic system in SG won't work here in pinas, subukan lang ng govt maglagay ng mga gantry sa lansangan sigurado kakatayin na yan ng mga bakal boys.... only effective method i could think of is stringent method of imposing fines. Tingnan ko lang kung di pa magtino mga local drivers nyan.

Walang lagay-lagay, pag nagkamali multa agad. Pag pumalag, sa presinto na lang magpaliwanag.

Sounds good except that traffic enforcers are more concerned with mulcting erring drivers than implementing a no-nonsense approach to enforcing traffic rules.

The main problem is that manila is just way too congested. Its too populated. Lahat na lang ng tao gusto tumira sa Manila. Pwera pa dun, sobrang palpak ang urban planning natin. Tignan nyo sa mga mauunlad na bansa, me mga dowtown silang tinatawag. Kung san andun yung shopping district, commercial district, red light district. Satin kahit saan traffic kasi kahit saan me mall.

Isa pa, ano mae-expect natin kung talagang iilan lang ang mga umaasensong probinsya. Natural dun dadagsa ang mga tao talaga kaya in each succeeding decade lalala ng lalala traffic.

• Like (+1) 1

The main problem is that manila is just way too congested. Its too populated. Lahat na lang ng tao gusto tumira sa Manila. Pwera pa dun, sobrang palpak ang urban planning natin. Tignan nyo sa mga mauunlad na bansa, me mga dowtown silang tinatawag. Kung san andun yung shopping district, commercial district, red light district. Satin kahit saan traffic kasi kahit saan me mall.

Isa pa, ano mae-expect natin kung talagang iilan lang ang mga umaasensong probinsya. Natural dun dadagsa ang mga tao talaga kaya in each succeeding decade lalala ng lalala traffic.

This can't continue on its present course. Because if it does, time will come when traffic will be completely stalled. Cars will be useless since our roads will become just one giant parking lot.

Government always seems to play catch up. They only move when the situation becomes intolerable. No long-term planning seems to be in the works. Government efforts are limited to stop-gap measures, moronic traffic schemes, short-term focus on rehabilitating mass transportation infrastructure such as the mrt which should have been maintained effectively on a regular basis instead of waiting for the whole thing to come crashing down and only then address the problem. And then the government treats colurum bus operators with kid gloves. Colorum bus operators' assets should be confiscated and sold in favor of the government. And the colorum bus operators should be thrown in prison or assessed a hefty fine ranging in the millions of pesos. These measures will discourage colorum bus operators from fielding their unauthorized vehicles into Metro Manila streets and will go a long way in decongesting traffic in the metropolis.

Same thing goes with our airports. The government neglects the regular maintenance of the airports and only addresses the problem when the airports start manifesting serious problems (like the ceiling collapsing). There doesn't seem to be any serious attempt to properly maintain airports despite the levy of P550 per departing passenger at the international airports. Where does all that money go?

Bottom line is that the system in the Philippines doesn't work. It works well in developed nations like Australia, the EU, the USA, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, even Thailand.

It doesn't work over here. Why? Corruption, of course. And if Binay wins, we'll have the corruption king to lead this country to complete destruction.

Which is why I never bothered learning to drive. Di lang trapik ang problema kundi krudo, carnap, maintenance, parking atbp... atleast pag nag commute, wala ako ibang problema kundi umalis ng maaga at makipagsiksikan lang. :unsure:

Sa bansang tulad ng pilipinas, maituturing nang cancer ang issue sa trapik. Terminal na yan at wala nang solusyon.

Sa bansang tulad ng pilipinas, maituturing nang cancer ang issue sa trapik. Terminal na yan at wala nang solusyon.

I agree. It can only improve a little but it will be there for a lifetime. Over population is the main problem in our country that causes traffic, crime, high unemployment rate, pollution, floods, lack of classrooms/schools and almost everything else. Pero ang simbahan gusto pa rin tayo magparami.

The country must improve the public transport system. If we do good on this, it will also be beneficial to other elements.
Isa na ako sa magcocommute araw-araw.

Which is why I never bothered learning to drive. Di lang trapik ang problema kundi krudo, carnap, maintenance, parking atbp... atleast pag nag commute, wala ako ibang problema kundi umalis ng maaga at makipagsiksikan lang. :unsure:

• Like (+1) 1

The country must improve the public transport system. If we do good on this, it will also be beneficial to other elements.

Isa na ako sa magcocommute araw-araw.

For me it already reached its saturation point. Kahit ano iimprove it will be there. It will only ease a little.

If they want major effect, make another highway like EDSA, Taft and Rizal Ave.. To do this dapat ka magpaalis ng residents to do new roads which will be a nightmare project.These new road should absorb what current EDSA can absorb so doubling the capacity. Maybe segregate the public and private vehicles if possible.

indeed. Thats why my first post when this thread started was "Full implementation of RH Law"

For me it already reached its saturation point. Kahit ano iimprove it will be there. It will only ease a little.

If they want major effect, make another highway like EDSA, Taft and Rizal Ave.. To do this dapat ka magpaalis ng residents to do new roads which will be a nightmare project.These new road should absorb what current EDSA can absorb so doubling the capacity. Maybe segregate the public and private vehicles if possible.