Martial Arts

Corkscrew

Well, he's back since last November and started training for the fight. Unfortunately, he lost via armbar. He went up against somebody from yaw-yan evolution. He competed in a MMA match and to honor the person who taught him grappling/groundfighting, he carried the name Buno (which is a Filipino art of grappling). We're both back into training mode and I know that he can carry the day next time he fights. We are currently organizing another Yawyan Fighting Challenge in March.

there are two main types of jujitsu. Japanese jujitsu and Brazilian jujitsu. Which one do you want to learn? and what's your location? Judo is a sport therefore, it has rules that practitioners must follow. But judo can be deadly too. Try executing an osoto-gari on your opponent on concrete and let's see if they will still be able to stand up.

i see ,thats where buno comes from.

There is a google video on 'buno' ,it shows more combative grappling and it imitates monkey and tiger performed by Abon Baet..Intereseting and has some similarity with the Silat styles.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8...0858&q=buno

Regards

Edited by vi-king
I remember when YAW YAN had a gym fronting Divisoria...back in the late 70s ..... buhay pa

ba yun???.... a classmate of mine fROm high school...used to study there...the curriculum was

different from what it is today...maybe it isgeared more for sports combat... just as effective...

ground fighting wasn't in voque back then...ANO PO BA ANG EVOLVED YAW YAN??? SOME INFO

TNX...

is there any gyms praticing that old kinda Yaw-Yan...whaht makes it so different from yy now

is the groundfighting only difference in the curriculum?

regards

Edited by vi-king

Hello, i would like to add that you have to decide what you want to train for. Do you train for health, forms competition or fighting. Each choice would lead you to different forms of martial arts suited for you. I trained in Shotokan karate during my early years, added kodokan judo and shin-shin toitsu aikido during my high school and college years. Now I train only in Taijiquan for health.

see ,thats where buno comes from.

There is a google video on 'buno' ,it shows more combative grappling and it imitates monkey and tiger performed by Abon Baet..Intereseting and has some similarity with the Silat styles.

I can't comment much on buno as I'm not that familiar. I train in BJJ and Bon and I got to exchange some ideas/techniques when we train.

is there any gyms praticing that old kinda Yaw-Yan...whaht makes it so different from yy now

is the groundfighting only difference in the curriculum?

Yes, there is. Master Nap's gym in Bulacan still practice the old yaw-yan. In my opinion, which is also shared by some Yawyan instructors, Master Nap's belief that striking is everything is sort of outdated in an MMA match. That's why we are incorporating grappling in our training. Chef Chris, the owner of the Ardigma Makati Gym even said, that one year ago, he will not think of including grappling in our training. But with the performance of the yaw-yan practitioners in MMA matches, wherein most of them lost via submission, the art has to evolve.
I can't comment much on buno as I'm not that familiar. I train in BJJ and Bon and I got to exchange some ideas/techniques when we train.

Yes, there is. Master Nap's gym in Bulacan still practice the old yaw-yan. In my opinion, which is also shared by some Yawyan instructors, Master Nap's belief that striking is everything is sort of outdated in an MMA match. That's why we are incorporating grappling in our training. Chef Chris, the owner of the Ardigma Makati Gym even said, that one year ago, he will not think of including grappling in our training. But with the performance of the yaw-yan practitioners in MMA matches, wherein most of them lost via submission, the art has to evolve.

thanks for the feedback man..old yaw-yan is more on Kicks ,knees and elbows ..and limited punches...right?And is that true that yawyans used to play sepak tekraw before practicing ..to increase flexibility and for the powerful kicks.. Love that game foot volley..

regards

The quiapo gym is closed already

Yaw-yan evolution is yaw-yan oriented towards MMA

i agree with you, that's the beauty of the martial art if the Originator/Master is still alive. the martial art will continue to evolve, change model and upgrade to whatever the condition persist. :-)

i had two and a half years training in arnis, but i've stopped when work just got too crazy.

and when i had to leave the country, more so that i wasn't able to continue.

a win in a big tournament's lacking in my profile though. :(

Edited by ink
  • 1 month later...

just to kick some life back into this thread: in the earlier pages, i commented on how i didn't believe in chi (or any of its variant spellings: ki, qi,or chee) or dim mak, or kyusho jitsu or any such nonsense, and that i believe anybody who claims to be a master of this is either: 1) deluded

2) fraudulent

3) lying

4) out to con others

in one of the other sections here, the supernatural and the occult, a poster by the name of x brought the guy in this video to my attention. this guy is a highly ranked practicioner of daito ryu aikijujutsu by the name of yanagiryuken. he claims to be undefeated in 200 vale tudo fights, and he's a kiaijitsu master. have a look, the demos are impressive:

i mean, the only thing missing are the fireballs and the cries of "haaadoookennn!" this motherf#&ker is so bad-arse he makes the dark lord of the sith look like a limp-wristed, purse carrying fag. he actually offered $5000 to anybody who could beat him.

now before you "t3h tru3 b3l13v3r5" all fall on your kness and start lining up to suck this guy's dick, this is what happened when he went up against a real fighter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmAT_bzsjk...ted&search=

that part where the other guy was kneeling on the mat signing something, that was the contract stating that kiai master fuk weet was going to be paying out $5k to anyone who beats him.

so, to sum up: if you're studying some system (once again i have to say that i hate the word "style", it sounds like two homos drinking tea before going out to buttf#&k somebody) that promises to teach you "t3h ul7ima73 d34dly dim mak touch of d347h" then pull your head out of your arse, get the f#&k out of there, and go study something that's actually useful. or go study dim sum, at least you'll get fed.

Hi Shambala,

I think that they've renamed the group already. UP Lema Lightning or something like that. The word "Kali" has been taken out. It is, afterall - not even a Pilipino word. I've many friends in the group, like John Escudero & Prof Bot Hokano... perhaps their names will sound familiar at the very least. I too practiced very little of this, which is lamentable. But personally, I'm not too interested in weapons. I find it impractical. Kung may dala kang katana sa Tondo - may magho-hold up ba sa iyo? BUT, this doesn't mean that I don't think its valuable. Because, it is. Just not my cup of tea.

The name of the group is actually Lightning ArnisScientific International. The arnis style was from Ben Lema and one of his student Elmer Ybañez was our instructor. We were the first group of students taught by Master Ben Lema himself and later on by Guro Elmer. The UP group was formed after the La Salle group. Prof Bot was with the original group taught by Master Ben and Guro Elmer.

Up to now, the UP group (I believe still headed by Nathan) is still intact, and they are also into capoeira.

Hello all, especially to Sir Fireman111001. Siguro po kayo ay at least 7th dan black sa LESKAS?

Last ko pong news kina Sir Nathan they still hang out in UP. Pero they are busy preparing for a new sport that they want to do.

They started doing capoeira kasi it complemented the movements of arnis. I think they are also teaching a class in it, but for fitness only.

I trained in LSAI-LESKAS for a year, but concentrated mostly on sparring. Sad to say..I have stopped for a long time. Prof Jocano still teaches a class there in UP for club members.

They started doing capoeira kasi it complemented the movements of arnis. I think they are also teaching a class in it, but for fitness only.

having done arnis (balintawak cuentada system under gm bobby taboada), and am now into capoeira (capoeira mandinga under mestre caveirinha) i don't see how this is complementary.

look, i'm not after a pissing match here, all i'm saying is that my experiences in both fighting systems show me that the differences between both far outweigh the possible similarities or complements.

Complementary in the sense that they focus on striking with different areas of concentration, thus perhaps making up for any flavor lacking in one. For example in our school of arnis we rarely do kicks, and if we do so they are almost never above the waist area. Also, in our school po, the stances and movements are similar, so I said that. That's all I have to say about that.

Not arnis in general, excuse me for saying so, but our school of arnis.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all, especially to Sir Fireman111001. Siguro po kayo ay at least 7th dan black sa LESKAS?

Last ko pong news kina Sir Nathan they still hang out in UP. Pero they are busy preparing for a new sport that they want to do.

I trained in LSAI-LESKAS for a year, but concentrated mostly on sparring. Sad to say..I have stopped for a long time. Prof Jocano still teaches a class there in UP for club members.

gutsprecher.. haven't actually practiced for quite sometime already..our group is kinda disbanded already, some are already working abroad, some have other priorities. also, when we started LESKAS, we don't have any belting system, I don't know if that's what they're doing right now. anyway, hope we can meet sometime