Martial Arts

Corkscrew

so if ever something goes wrong sa MTC 4th anniversary gig... SANA WALA NAMAN

PO UNTOWARD INCIDENT!!! it's hand to hand...sa loob ng bar...Huwag nalang mg pasiklaban

at mag yabangan... ng hindi magkasubukan...HEALTHY DISCUSSION LANG... no art is better than

the other.. depende sa tao yan....IF EVEN A HEATED ARGUMENT OCCURS, LET COOLER HEADS INTERCEDE

AND DE-ESCALATE A POTENTIALLY VIOLENT CONFRONTATION!!! PEACE TO ALL!!! LET'S ENJOY THE PARTY!!

what are the tactics and strategies for group fighting?? Not one individual against

multiple opponents... but one group against another group... would the rules

of 'closing ranks' or the phalanx, etc. apply to modern setting?

i suppose it would depend if that particular group had been together for a long time, preferably since childhood, and practiced closed ranks fighting incessantly, also since childhood. the one's who used this type of fighting: greeks, spartans, macedonians and romans trained constantly. in the case of the spartans since the age of 7. the macedonians took things a step further with the development of the sarrissa, the 18 foot spear that was longer than anything the classical world was used to at the time. the romans also developed shield formations to a level not seen before. i don't have the knowledge or time to get into this in any great detail, but i would say that with the current reliance on firearms, any type of formation fighting would pretty much have to be agreed on, with all its attendant rules and regulations, before actual hostilities.

interestingly enough, the russians still have a tradition of mass fighting which takes place every year during some type of holy day. i have a video of groups of people, about 40-50 on each side, linking arms and charging each other. it degenerates into a massive all out kick arse brawl, but it looks like a lot of fun. one more reason why i want to go to russia.

thanks for the info hellspawn...the reason I asked in the first place was that most...

street brawls almost never involve singular combat...it's either one against mutliple

opponents... one group of lesser numbers against othe group of superior count...maybe to

makeup for lack of fighting skills .....What I notice distinctively is most 'combatants'

'crowd' their adversaries... make them bump into each other...just like in street riots...

the way the police does it to disperse or control a unruly mob...YUNG AWAY BATA... STONE

THROWING, etc... A LOT OF RUNNING BACK AND FORTH... may prove effective against a less

organized group....but against a group that moves in unison....it would be to no avail...

Eh, what's an FFC match? Fearless fighting championship? Any clue on their difference, as an organizing body, from URCC?

Primary difference are the rules. FFC fights in an Octagonal ring using cyclone wires while URCC uses a regular boxing ring. FFC fights are 3 rounds of 5 mins each (to others who are reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong) and URCC are 2 rounds of 10mins each. FFC has judges to rule the match in cases that there are no submission or knockdown, while in URCC there are no judges and the ony way to win is via knockdown, submission or referee stoppage. FFC follows the UFC format while URCC follows the early Pride FC format. Both rules have their pros and cons.

Primary difference are the rules. FFC fights in an Octagonal ring using cyclone wires while URCC uses a regular boxing ring. FFC fights are 3 rounds of 5 mins each (to others who are reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong) and URCC are 2 rounds of 10mins each. FFC has judges to rule the match in cases that there are no submission or knockdown, while in URCC there are no judges and the ony way to win is via knockdown, submission or referee stoppage. FFC follows the UFC format while URCC follows the early Pride FC format. Both rules have their pros and cons.

Meron pa bang Fearless? kala ko yung last yung FearlessII (tagle-vives)?..tuloy paba yung tournament?..update naman!!:)

what are the tactics and strategies for group fighting?? Not one individual against

multiple opponents... but one group against another group... would the rules

of 'closing ranks' or the phalanx, etc. apply to modern setting?

Not really. Phalanxes assume a large mass of fighters on each side, with ranks 3 or more men deep and around 10 or more men wide. Not only that, it assumes very specific weapons like shields that more or less cover your whole body. For the modern setting, fighting like "barbarians" would be better. This means high skill with your weapon (fists pipe or whatnot) and a lot of spacial awareness ("feeling" where your opponents and allies are with respact to where you are). No other way to learn this thatn to practice I guess. Anybody who has better suggestion would be welcome.

That clears it up a bit. I personally like pride a bit more than UFC, but I've no prefference between URCC and FFC (haven't seen enough to make a judgement)

Not really. Phalanxes assume a large mass of fighters on each side, with ranks 3 or more men deep and around 10 or more men wide. Not only that, it assumes very specific weapons like shields that more or less cover your whole body. For the modern setting, fighting like "barbarians" would be better. This means high skill with your weapon (fists pipe or whatnot) and a lot of spacial awareness ("feeling" where your opponents and allies are with respact to where you are). No other way to learn this thatn to practice I guess. Anybody who has better suggestion would be welcome.

Spatial awareness....but it would be like taking on several opponents at one time .... fighting AS A UNIT

would make up for whatever lack of skills an individual may have....Like the pikemen of the middle ages...

As applied to modern setting...let's say unarmed combat...AN EXAMPLE: a punch or kick could easily be

blocked or grabbed by one person...or might even be 'absorbed'... while his friend could deliver a counterattack,

almost simultaneously...the attacker would be dealing with a "unit"...he may hit one person.... but his companion

would be unhurt launch a counterattack...CAN ANYONE SUGGEST SOME BOOKS ON FIGHTING EN MASS ?.....

THIS IS ONE TOPIC THAT SEEMS TO ESCAPE MARTIAL ARTS IN GENERAL.... Thanks for any info!!!...

For those who know...What's the difference between muay Thai and Burmese Boxing??

what about way kru??? ( did i get the spelling right???) some info tnx!!

I thin Burmese boxing has a few different techniques but I may be wrong. The Wai Kru is a dance done before a match to pay homage to their teacher, gym adn art of muay thai

For those who know...What's the difference between muay Thai and Burmese Boxing??

what about way kru??? ( did i get the spelling right???) some info tnx!!

Burmese Boxing and muay thai are very similar. The main difference is that muay thai is safer because they use gloves while burmese boxing is done bare knuckled. That's why only a few practice this art because of the brutality of the sport.

Wai Kru is a dance/ritual paying homage to the school/gym/teacher where you came from. Each school has their own wai kru and you can determine the style of your opponeng by watching their wai kru. Some muay thai experts can predict the outcome of the match by just watching the wai kru. Aside from paying homage, a wai kru also serves as a warm up or stretching a few minutes before the fight and also to feel the ring. It also serves as a psychological weapon against your opponent because you can taung your opponent while doing it. If you've watched the Wai Kru of Buakaw Por Pramuk and John Way Parr they would often make actions such as pointing an imaginary gun or an imaginary bow and arrow at their adversaries.

When I was a Kid I used to train Tai Chi Chuan since my late grand father was a Kung Fu/Tai Chi Chuan master back in China.

Then during my high school days I tried Yaw Yan in Pasay for a while. Then continue my Muai Thai training in Por Pramuk Gym in Thailand for 6 months straight (6 days a week, 8 hours a day).

I tried few boxing after going back to Manila (Elorde Gym) while I was in college and few trainings of Muai Thai with a friend while we were studying.

After college I went back to my former Gym in Thailand and did Muai Thai again and tried to compete in Nakhon Ratchasima stadium. I was able to win several fights and lost some fights too but it's a good experience and I'm happy with it.

Today I'm in Manila and working in a private company and by March next year I'm planning to go back to Thailand and visit my master and train there again.

As to join some fighting again ? I'm not sure yet coz I don't want my ass to get kicked by them again lol

When I was a Kid I used to train Tai Chi Chuan since my late grand father was a Kung Fu/Tai Chi Chuan master back in China.

Then during my high school days I tried Yaw Yan in Pasay for a while. Then continue my Muai Thai training in Por Pramuk Gym in Thailand for 6 months straight (6 days a week, 8 hours a day).

I tried few boxing after going back to Manila (Elorde Gym) while I was in college and few trainings of Muai Thai with a friend while we were studying.

After college I went back to my former Gym in Thailand and did Muai Thai again and tried to compete in Nakhon Ratchasima stadium. I was able to win several fights and lost some fights too but it's a good experience and I'm happy with it.

Today I'm in Manila and working in a private company and by March next year I'm planning to go back to Thailand and visit my master and train there again.

As to join some fighting again ? I'm not sure yet coz I don't want my ass to get kicked by them again lol

Bro, do you train with Muay Asso. of the Philippines in Ultra?

How were you able to train in Por Pramuk? I heard that they are not accepting farangs. I've always wanted to train there (actually train along side Buakaw). I'm planning to go to Kaewsamrit in Bangkok or Lanna in Chiang Mai during next year's Holy Week. But if they are open to foreigners, might go there instead.

Mirage_hankvoyager Posted Today, 03:27 PM

Can anyone here advice me the locations of different schools of martial arts and the discipline their teaching???? Before i studied taekwondo and currently im into boxing at Elorde Gym.... Im more interested into mixed martial arts.. hope sum1 can give me advice... Tnx in advance!!! smile.gif

Suggestion lang, bro. If you are interested into MMA, it would be best if you have a base style, then incorporate other martial arts to complete your game. Do you want to be a striker? Then learn boxing, muay thai or yaw-yan. Stick with it for at least 2 years to have a good base, afterwards cross train in a grappling arts like BJJ or wrestling. Or if you want to be a grappler, just reverse the process. Magiging half bake ka kung pagsasabayin mo.

Then your choice of school will depend on your location. It should not be more than one hour from your home or office or else baka tamarin ka nang mag-train.

Suggestion lang, bro. If you are interested into MMA, it would be best if you have a base style, then incorporate other martial arts to complete your game. Do you want to be a striker? Then learn boxing, muay thai or yaw-yan. Stick with it for at least 2 years to have a good base, afterwards cross train in a grappling arts like BJJ or wrestling. Or if you want to be a grappler, just reverse the process. Magiging half bake ka kung pagsasabayin mo.

Then your choice of school will depend on your location. It should not be more than one hour from your home or office or else baka tamarin ka nang mag-train.

Hmmmmm....You have a point there!! :cool: Il take ur advice.... :) By the way, what discipline are you practicing now?? (juz curious) :) have you tried competing??

Hmmmmm....You have a point there!! specool.gif Il take ur advice.... smile.gif By the way, what discipline are you practicing now?? (juz curious) smile.gif have you tried competing??

Like you I started in TKD way back in High School and College. My base style is Muay Thai, been doing it for 4 years and counting. For striking, I've cross trained in Yaw-yan and Boxing. For grappling, I've cross trained in Judo and BJJ. Yes, I've competed in Muay Thai, boxing and judo. Not yet in MMA. My day job prevents me from training seriously for MMA.