Martial Arts

Corkscrew

i dont know if my style is ok, because i fused some styles that i have some background on, for my hands i use boxing for the punching technique, blocking and stance i use jeet kune do and boxing depends on when im facing left or right, for close combat and legs i use muay thai, im very fond of using my knees and the thai kick, and for ground some jujitsu and a little bit of ninjitsu. i also trained aikido but didnt use it, its just not right for me, i think the best technique is the one that fits your style, the one youre comfortable with...

Martial Art: Kendo (Japanese Fencing)

Experience: ~5 years

STEVESTON KENDO CLUB - FROM THE VERY BEGINNING

Kendo first appeared in British Columbia's lower mainland in 1913, when Tsuzuki Kentaro established a dojo called Yokikan in the small fishing village of Steveston. In 1920, Hayashi Rintaro took over as head instructor. Akune Yuichi followed as head instructor in 1937, renaming the club Yoseikan, which literally means "Proper Upbringing Hall." Yoseikan ran its practices at the local Japanese language school from October through to March.

On April 18, 1931, the Yoseikan dojo held the first ever Canadian kendo tournament in Steveston. At about the same time, other local clubs in Vancouver and Seattle also began to hold tournaments. Yoseikan proved to be the strongest individual club in the pre-WWII Pacific Northwest based on the sheer number of first place tournament victories the club acquired. Today's Steveston Kendo Club Tournament is one of the largest tournaments held in the Pacific Northwest.

In 1942, the Canadian government began to relocate Japanese-Canadians to camps in the Kootenays and the Prairies following the attack on Pearl Harbour. Tanigami Moriharu (a pupil of Akune Yuichi) returned to Steveston from relocation camp in 1949. In 1957, he joined up with Hayashi Rintaro to reorganize what would eventually be called the Steveston Kendo Club.

In 1972, the City of Richmond, the Steveston Community Centre, and the Japanese Canadian Community Association jointly financed the Martial Arts Centre, which would house the judo, karate, and kendo clubs. In 1973, the Steveston Kendo Club officially took up residence at the beautiful new Richmond Martial Arts Centre in Steveston, under then head instructor Tanigami Moriharu.

In 1990, Ray Murao took over as head instructor of the Steveston Kendo Club. Murao-sensei holds the rank of 7th dan (7th degree black belt), and has extensive experience in local, national, and international competition. He has also served several terms as head coach of the Canadian Kendo Team at the World Kendo Championships

(Steveston Kendo Club, 2005)

i dont know if my style is ok, because i fused some styles that i have some background on, for my hands i use boxing for the punching technique, blocking and stance i use jeet kune do and boxing depends on when im facing left or right, for close combat and legs i use muay thai, im very fond of using my knees and the thai kick, and for ground some jujitsu and a little bit of ninjitsu. i also trained aikido but didnt use it, its just not right for me, i think the best technique is the one that fits your style, the one youre comfortable with...

It's ok to fuse the best techniques from different martial arts. I cross train in muay thai, boxing and brazilian jujitsu. But sometimes, especially when you are competing, you tend to be confused. Like, when competing/sparring muay thai, doing the bob and weave, which is common in boxing, is a mortal sin because you'll end up eating a lot of knees and elbows on your face. When I was training in Thailand, the muay thai trainers would often correct my punch because my style is boxing wherein the punches are short and crisp, whereas in muay thai, the punches are long and powerful with the weight of your body behind the punch.

i was in combat aikido before nung di pa ko masyado busy. hanggang purple belt lang. good thing in combat aikido is di kailangan na malakas ka kasi you'll be using your opponent's strength against him. Yung original aikido uses swords pero yung dito sa pinas medyo nag i-volve na. yung dating combat aikido sa cubao tapondo na ata ang pangalan.

Is muay thai a good martial arts to lose fat or be fit..I want to lose fat..but i feel lke doing cardio alone is a waste of time when you can practice a certain martial arts and lose wight at the same time...wat do you think?

==========

yeah its a good excercise to lose unwanted fats... and its also a good martial arts, I'm also into Muay Thai :-)

Is muay thai a good martial arts to lose fat or be fit..I want to lose fat..but i feel lke doing cardio alone is a waste of time when you can practice a certain martial arts and lose wight at the same time...wat do you think?

It is but it is a very demanding art... better prepare yourself for it first by getting into shape...

best way to get in shape? strength training

Muay Thai is a very rigorous art, specially if you are being trained by certified MAP trainers. But it is not a panacea for losing fat or getting fit. Cross train in running and strength training. Where do you intend to train in Muay Thai?

hahaha. yea very demanding both in time and in body resources.

took me years to develop my 'shinguard' muscles and 'armblock' muscles.

muay thai is a contact sport. that's the reason why I can't spar after my appendectomy. i have a 'weak' spot now.

cardio, strength training and diet works best hand-in-hand.

aside from cardio, muay kata and shadow boxing, the only muscle i exercise now is my trigger finger. :)

Muay Thai is a very rigorous art, specially if you are being trained by certified MAP trainers. But it is not a panacea for losing fat or getting fit. Cross train in running and strength training. Where do you intend to train in Muay Thai?

wala p tol..can you direct me to one, anywhere in makati, or the fort..and kung mas mura mas maganda? .."0

hahaha. yea very demanding both in time and in body resources.

took me years to develop my 'shinguard' muscles and 'armblock' muscles.

muay thai is a contact sport. that's the reason why I can't spar after my appendectomy. i have a 'weak' spot now.

cardio, strength training and diet works best hand-in-hand.

aside from cardio, muay kata and shadow boxing, the only muscle i exercise now is my trigger finger. :)

=======

Sir can you teach me how to develop my shin guard and armblock muscles? i know it takes time... but a few tips from the person who knows the sport better than me is a great help...

TIA

wala p tol..can you direct me to one, anywhere in makati, or the fort..and kung mas mura mas maganda? .."0

What's your purpose, fitness or hard core training? There's a muay thai gym in Antel Corporate Center along Valero St. but they teach watered down muay thai. There's muay thai in Red Corner Intercon but again, its just for fitness. If you want hard core muay thai, the Muay Thai Association of the Philippines HQ in Ultra is not too far away. There, you will be trained by RP Team members and learn authentic muay thai.

anyone here into Ju Jitsu? I also intend to learn Ju Jitsu in time... after training in Muay Thai, do you think it is a good Idea to get a book in Ju Jitsu and try to practice it while training in Muay Thai?
Brazilian Jujitsu or Japanese Jujitsu? What's your purpose for cross training in jujitsu? Do you intend to compete in MMA? If you do, it is advisable to spend a few years first in muay thai, to make it your base art and then cross train in jujitsu. Baka kasi malito ka sa stances, foot work and everything. Have been training in muay thai for 4 years but last year lang ako ng BJJ.

ir can you teach me how to develop my shin guard and armblock muscles? i know it takes time... but a few tips from the person who knows the sport better than me is a great help...
There are no short cuts. It's doing hundreds of roundhouse kicks everyday on a heavy bag. Have trained in Thailand and was told by Thai fighters, when I asked for the same tips, that the pain doesn't really go away. By constant training, you just increase your tolerance for the pain.

Brazilian Jujitsu or Japanese Jujitsu? What's your purpose for cross training in jujitsu? Do you intend to compete in MMA? If you do, it is advisable to spend a few years first in muay thai, to make it your base art and then cross train in jujitsu. Baka kasi malito ka sa stances, foot work and everything. Have been training in muay thai for 4 years but last year lang ako ng BJJ.

Don't know the difference, so I can't really say which of the two I would practice/train in the future.

There are no short cuts. It's doing hundreds of roundhouse kicks everyday on a heavy bag. Have trained in Thailand and was told by Thai fighters, when I asked for the same tips, that the pain doesn't really go away. By constant training, you just increase your tolerance for the pain.

I see... I thought there is a special training in developing your shinguard and armblock muscles... I would buy a punching bag and practice at home...

you've been training muay thai for 4 years? WOW!!! and you even trained in thailand... cool!! wish I could go there and train even just for a year or less, it would be nice, i'm still a newbie in muaythai been training for a month pa lang, and I do it on sat and sun only, plan to train everyday after a month or so maybe...

I don't really plan to compete in MMA, I just love the idea of knowing not just one form of martial art... its purely self defense... but maybe will join in an inter school competetion in the future...

by the way sir where are you located? i'm in las pinas near SM Southmall...

Edited by pedrupenduku

Used to take up Jeet Kune Do when I was in college. I'm an avid fan of Bruce Lee, hence my nickname and avatar. I'm a believer of his principle that learning martial arts is an ongoing process, and that it shouldn't be limited to a specific style. You take what is useful, and add it to your own.

any BJJ schools in the Makati area?

rates, scheds, website?

There's the Kamphuis-Fabricio Academy Makati every Tue and Thur 7-9 at Republic Gym, Evangelista St. Makati. This is where I train. The instructor recently won 4 gold medals in the Pan Asian BJJ and Grappling tournament held this month. Website is www.bjjphilippines.com

There's a Newbreed Academy in BA Lepanto Tower in Paseo de Roxas and Gracie Barra Academy in Red Corner Intercon Hotel. Perhaps, just look in the internet for these bjj schools.

Don't know the difference, so I can't really say which of the two I would practice/train in the future.
The one that you see in UFC, URCC and other mixed martial arts tournaments, that's mostly Brazilian Jujitsu. The one practiced by the Gracies.

I see... I thought there is a special training in developing your shinguard and armblock muscles... I would buy a punching bag and practice at home...

you've been training muay thai for 4 years? WOW!!! and you even trained in thailand... cool!! wish I could go there and train even just for a year or less, it would be nice, i'm still a newbie in muaythai been training for a month pa lang, and I do it on sat and sun only, plan to train everyday after a month or so maybe...

I suggest buying the banana bag. It's a six feet high bag and its the one often used in muay thai gyms.

Actually I trained for just a few weeks in Thailand. It is impossible for me to stay there for several months as I have work and businesses here in the Philippines. Plus, its very costly to train in Thailand. If you plan to go there and train, I can refer you to the muay thai camp where I trained, Kaewsamrit Gym. It is voted as trainer of the year in 2002 and runner up finishes as trainer of the year in 2001, 2003 and 2004 (pardon if I get the years mixed up).

I'm based in Makati and I train at Muay Asso. of the Philippines Headquarters at Ultra Pasig.

I don't really plan to compete in MMA, I just love the idea of knowing not just one form of martial art... its purely self defense... but maybe will join in an inter school competetion in the future...

if you're just curious then it's worthwhile to just learn and perfect the muay thai kata. It's a good exercise din.

but really don't buy the 'self-defense' it doesn't work in the streets. Self preservation is achieved by running and avoiding confrontation. :)

best you can get from MA is strength and quickness of delivery, may risk ka p rin against 'kuyog'.

try leg stances to improve your leg muscles if you're a masochist try this to develop specialized leg muscles.

1. stand upright legs together.

2. raise your left leg perpendicular to the floor

3. slowly bend your right knee until you reach bottom. (make sure that your feet is flat on the floor always)

4. slowly rise from this position. hehehehehe (make sure that your feet is flat on the floor always) isusumpa mo lahat after doing this.

5. do it on your other leg.

the key here is 'slowly' not jerky and always make sure that your feet is flat on the floor (not toeing).

3 reps of this and you will know from the soreness after which muscles are affected. :)

For arm muscles its easier.

1. find the most 'hard' grip you can find

2. do as much arm curls rep as you can while 'gripping' full this grip.

3. alternate this grip exercise with the heaviest dumb bell you can do your arm curls with.

4. alternate between fast and slow reps.

(this is good and the more reps you can the better muscles you have)

you can do both (leg and arm) exercise almost anywhere.