Martial Arts

Corkscrew

There's the Kamphuis-Fabricio Academy Makati every Tue and Thur 7-9 at Republic Gym, Evangelista St. Makati. This is where I train. The instructor recently won 4 gold medals in the Pan Asian BJJ and Grappling tournament held this month. Website is www.bjjphilippines.com

There's a Newbreed Academy in BA Lepanto Tower in Paseo de Roxas and Gracie Barra Academy in Red Corner Intercon Hotel. Perhaps, just look in the internet for these bjj schools.

thanks bro, I'll check it out

I suggest buying the banana bag. It's a six feet high bag and its the one often used in muay thai gyms.

Actually I trained for just a few weeks in Thailand. It is impossible for me to stay there for several months as I have work and businesses here in the Philippines. Plus, its very costly to train in Thailand. If you plan to go there and train, I can refer you to the muay thai camp where I trained, Kaewsamrit Gym. It is voted as trainer of the year in 2002 and runner up finishes as trainer of the year in 2001, 2003 and 2004 (pardon if I get the years mixed up).

I'm based in Makati and I train at Muay Asso. of the Philippines Headquarters at Ultra Pasig.

Banana bag? is that different from the regular punching/kicking bag that I see in the sporst house?

or is it the one with a nylon like rounded bag? the texture of the fabric that like for those military bags? the bags that I saw are just about 4 feet high, will try to ask around for the banana bag you suggest. thanks for that sir....

if you're just curious then it's worthwhile to just learn and perfect the muay thai kata. It's a good exercise din.

but really don't buy the 'self-defense' it doesn't work in the streets. Self preservation is achieved by running and avoiding confrontation. :)

best you can get from MA is strength and quickness of delivery, may risk ka p rin against 'kuyog'.

try leg stances to improve your leg muscles if you're a masochist try this to develop specialized leg muscles.

1. stand upright legs together.

2. raise your left leg perpendicular to the floor

3. slowly bend your right knee until you reach bottom. (make sure that your feet is flat on the floor always)

4. slowly rise from this position. hehehehehe (make sure that your feet is flat on the floor always) isusumpa mo lahat after doing this.

5. do it on your other leg.

the key here is 'slowly' not jerky and always make sure that your feet is flat on the floor (not toeing).

3 reps of this and you will know from the soreness after which muscles are affected. :)

For arm muscles its easier.

1. find the most 'hard' grip you can find

2. do as much arm curls rep as you can while 'gripping' full this grip.

3. alternate this grip exercise with the heaviest dumb bell you can do your arm curls with.

4. alternate between fast and slow reps.

(this is good and the more reps you can the better muscles you have)

you can do both (leg and arm) exercise almost anywhere.

i've never heard of a muay thai "kata" in all the years i've been training. i also don't believe in kata no matter what the system, but that's my personal opinion based on my own experiences.

as for "self defence", while i agree that avoidance is better then confrontation, sometimes a person has no other option to get down and dirty. i've actually chosen to put myself in harm's way in order to test what i've been training in, and yes, the "street" played a large part in it.

what you get from ma training is entirely up to you. quickness, speed, fitness, and self-confidence are all bonuses of ma training. so is concentration, inner peace, self-discipline, lower blood pressure, weight loss, muscle tone improvement, the list goes on.

the first exercise you described is called a "pistol" or a one legged squat. it's a staple exercise in a lot of fight systems.

i personally don't believe in weight training in a gym. if i want to work on my grip strength there are other exercises i prefer; example, i'd rather climb a rope or do sled pulls or car pulls. i believe isolation exercises are a waste of time, they promote muscle imbalance and develop artificial strength.

Banana bag? is that different from the regular punching/kicking bag that I see in the sporst house?

or is it the one with a nylon like rounded bag? the texture of the fabric that like for those military bags? the bags that I saw are just about 4 feet high, will try to ask around for the banana bag you suggest. thanks for that sir....

It's very different. They're also called muay thai bags, they're about six feet tall. They enable you to practice your low kicks. The beauty of these bags is, over time, when you kick it very often, the materials inside the bags compresses at the bottom. Making the lower part of the bags harder. Therefore, making it better to condition your shin.

i've never heard of a muay thai "kata" in all the years i've been training. i also don't believe in kata no matter what the system, but that's my personal opinion based on my own experiences.
My thoughts exactly. I used to be an officer of the POC and PSC recognized governing body of muay thai and my mandate is to recruit/accredit chapters in the Philippines. I was surprised that there are several karate schools that switched to muay thai just because the latter is very popular now a days. In the end, they teach bastardized muay thai. I even encountered a karate instructor who told me, I never told him who I was, if I want to learn muay thai, then I just study karate and boxing.
My thoughts exactly. I used to be an officer of the POC and PSC recognized governing body of muay thai and my mandate is to recruit/accredit chapters in the Philippines. I was surprised that there are several karate schools that switched to muay thai just because the latter is very popular now a days. In the end, they teach bastardized muay thai. I even encountered a karate instructor who told me, I never told him who I was, if I want to learn muay thai, then I just study karate and boxing.

bandwagon jumping opportunists, also known as lowlife motherf#&kers. sounds like the time when "t3h d34dly pr3ssur3 po1n7s" was the rage, some bright spark started promoting the "hidden" pressure point techniques of t** kwon do. like, what the f#&k dude? have you been smoking dried horseshit or what?

I studied Aikido for a few months way back. My sensei was Pacquito Valencia. If I remember it correctly he is the first certified Aikido Black Belt in the Philippines (1960s) and was even featured in BlackBelt Magazine.

My Sensei Pacquito Valencia studied under Sensei Koichi Tohei, student of O' Sensei Morehei Uyeshiba. This means, 3rd generation Aikido student si Sensei ko. 4th generation na kami. Hehe

Sir leloup

I tried to search for the Thai Banana Bag over the net and most of it costs over a $150 each, the filled ones cost over $200 each... been looking around and asking too where to find one but still no luck... is there any place that you can suggest that I can get one and how much would it be (if you have an idea)?

TIA

Sir leloup

I tried to search for the Thai Banana Bag over the net and most of it costs over a $150 each, the filled ones cost over $200 each... been looking around and asking too where to find one but still no luck... is there any place that you can suggest that I can get one and how much would it be (if you have an idea)?

TIA

i'm assuming you live the us, or someplace that uses dollars for currency. what you do is go to an upholstery shop, or to a sail maker, you can also try a canvas supply shop. note: these are different from the ones you find in the philippines. take along a photo of a banana bag. they should be able to make you one for a lot less then the sports or ma supply shops.

what to fill it with? go to the beach, or to the local builder's yard (construction supply), and get some sand for the bottom of the bag. fill it until the sand is about 5-6 cms thick at the bottom. now, find a wetsuit manufacturer. ask them for the leftovers that they have from making wetsuits. get as much as you can. if you end up short, go to a tailor or clothing manufacturer and ask them for the leftovers. fill the bag with the neoprene and cloth. pack it in until it's as tight or as loose as you want. after a few days of use, the stuffing will settle, top the bag up with more material.

do not, i repeat, do not make the mistake of stuffing the bag so that it's rock hard. some people think this is macho and will condition their shins better. no, they are idiots. you want the bag firm, but soft enough so that you leave dents when you kick it fullpower. if you want to condition your shins for ring fighting, search for my previous post about it.

if you live in the philippines, you can still make one, you'll just have to find somebody willing to try stitching one together.

good luck.

i'm assuming you live the us, or someplace that uses dollars for currency. what you do is go to an upholstery shop, or to a sail maker, you can also try a canvas supply shop. note: these are different from the ones you find in the philippines. take along a photo of a banana bag. they should be able to make you one for a lot less then the sports or ma supply shops.

what to fill it with? go to the beach, or to the local builder's yard (construction supply), and get some sand for the bottom of the bag. fill it until the sand is about 5-6 cms thick at the bottom. now, find a wetsuit manufacturer. ask them for the leftovers that they have from making wetsuits. get as much as you can. if you end up short, go to a tailor or clothing manufacturer and ask them for the leftovers. fill the bag with the neoprene and cloth. pack it in until it's as tight or as loose as you want. after a few days of use, the stuffing will settle, top the bag up with more material.

do not, i repeat, do not make the mistake of stuffing the bag so that it's rock hard. some people think this is macho and will condition their shins better. no, they are idiots. you want the bag firm, but soft enough so that you leave dents when you kick it fullpower. if you want to condition your shins for ring fighting, search for my previous post about it.

if you live in the philippines, you can still make one, you'll just have to find somebody willing to try stitching one together.

good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion sir, I live here in the philippines, I'm actually in las pinas... I will try your suggestion to go to an Upholstery shop and ask them to make one for me...for the stuffing... i'll try to look around for a tailoring shop or maybe ask them (upholstery shop) for the leftovers of their materials... that's a good idea sir... thanks much!!

do you also practice muay thai? where? and where are you located?

Edited by pedrupenduku

pedrupenduku,

You can try K-1 Extreme Sportshop near Greenhills San Juan. Their phone number is 726-5187 look for Jaime Alexis Sin. I think their banana bags costs around Php5-8k, depending on the brand. Another martial arts store is Squadron shoppe in Makati Cinema square, sorry I don't know the contact number.

Here's another suggestion, why not just find a good muay thai gym within your vicinity? They should have a banana bag for training. The usual problem with having equipment at home is that there are chances you will not be that motivated to train and hit the heavy bag (I'm guilty of this). Plus, nobody's there to correct you if you're executing the techniques right.

pedrupenduku,

You can try K-1 Extreme Sportshop near Greenhills San Juan. Their phone number is 726-5187 look for Jaime Alexis Sin. I think their banana bags costs around Php5-8k, depending on the brand. Another martial arts store is Squadron shoppe in Makati Cinema square, sorry I don't know the contact number.

Here's another suggestion, why not just find a good muay thai gym within your vicinity? They should have a banana bag for training. The usual problem with having equipment at home is that there are chances you will not be that motivated to train and hit the heavy bag (I'm guilty of this). Plus, nobody's there to correct you if you're executing the techniques right.

I have been looking around for a mauy thai gym here in our area, but sad to say there are only a few, and the two gyms I found are connected to each other, the gym that i'm in right now is just a branch of the main one that is located in manuela... the gym name is "Street Fighting Club", the instructor teaches Kickboxing, Self Defense, Grappling, Arnis and Muay Thai... its the most convinient and affordable (for me) that I can find.

for the Motivation thing, I have a friend that trains with me, so we can also train at home together... we just need some equipment...

thanks for the contact number and person of the store that you've told me... i'll visit the store on my free time... so you also have a banana bag at home? good for you...just hope you'll be motivated enough to use your equipment... and you've been training for 4 years now, so i'm pretty sure you very good at it... you can even teach muay thai if you want to... :-) and i'll be glad to be one of your students...

I have been looking around for a mauy thai gym here in our area, but sad to say there are only a few, and the two gyms I found are connected to each other, the gym that i'm in right now is just a branch of the main one that is located in manuela... the gym name is "Street Fighting Club", the instructor teaches Kickboxing, Self Defense, Grappling, Arnis and Muay Thai... its the most convinient and affordable (for me) that I can find.

Is this the one near RFC and across yellow cab/starbucks along alabang zapote road in Las Pinas?

have been looking around for a mauy thai gym here in our area, but sad to say there are only a few, and the two gyms I found are connected to each other, the gym that i'm in right now is just a branch of the main one that is located in manuela... the gym name is "Street Fighting Club", the instructor teaches Kickboxing, Self Defense, Grappling, Arnis and Muay Thai... its the most convinient and affordable (for me) that I can find.

for the Motivation thing, I have a friend that trains with me, so we can also train at home together... we just need some equipment...

thanks for the contact number and person of the store that you've told me... i'll visit the store on my free time... so you also have a banana bag at home? good for you...just hope you'll be motivated enough to use your equipment... and you've been training for 4 years now, so i'm pretty sure you very good at it... you can even teach muay thai if you want to... :-) and i'll be glad to be one of your students...

Kindly ask if Street Fighting Club is an accredited chapter of Muay Association of the Philippines. And who is their instructor?

Since you have a friend to train with, I suggest you also buy the thai pads. This will help you with the timing and the distance of executing techniques.

Thanks for the complements but I am not qualified to teach the art. I am just and will always be a student. I can give you some tips though and you can always ask me something about muay thai.

Olympus - Are you from the south ? because I saw a Muai Thai Tarpaulin after Puregold if you'll be coming from Alabang.

Do you know anybody in this gym ?

Thanks

I Live in paranque but am often in las Pinas...

I don't know of any accredited MAP chapter in the south....

Is there any way of overcoming multiple opponents ?.... KADALASAN PO KASI NGAYON KUYOG MENTALITY... when it comes to fights... maybe to off-set any shortcomings with the lack of any trainng...it is usually one against... several...TAPOS IPAG MAMALAKI PA NUNG MGA NANG KUYOG... during thier drinking sprees...PARA PO GANG-MENTALITY...WHICH IS VERY DISCONCERTING ABOUT HOW YOUNG PEOPLE CONSIDER GANGING UP ON SOMEBODY POLITCALLY 'CORRECT'... so long as it gets 'done'...PARA POO MOB MENTALITY...MATAPANG LANG PAG-MARAMI SILA... OTHER THAN CARRYING A GUN...WHICH I USUALLY DO..WITH PROPER DOCUMENTATION...IS THERE ANY WAY TO WIN OT AT LEAST WARD OFF A 'KUYOG'???.... TNX FOR ANY INFO...

Is there any way of overcoming multiple opponents ?.... KADALASAN PO KASI NGAYON KUYOG MENTALITY... when it comes to fights... maybe to off-set any shortcomings with the lack of any trainng...it is usually one against... several...TAPOS IPAG MAMALAKI PA NUNG MGA NANG KUYOG... during thier drinking sprees...PARA PO GANG-MENTALITY...WHICH IS VERY DISCONCERTING ABOUT HOW YOUNG PEOPLE CONSIDER GANGING UP ON SOMEBODY POLITCALLY 'CORRECT'... so long as it gets 'done'...PARA POO MOB MENTALITY...MATAPANG LANG PAG-MARAMI SILA... OTHER THAN CARRYING A GUN...WHICH I USUALLY DO..WITH PROPER DOCUMENTATION...IS THERE ANY WAY TO WIN OT AT LEAST WARD OFF A 'KUYOG'???.... TNX FOR ANY INFO...

How about avoiding fighting?

How about avoiding fighting?

Sometimes,... YOU CANNOT AVOID FIGHTING... being at the wrong place at the wrong time..everything may seem calm and peaceful one moment... could easily erupt into something violent...I know about walking with confidence..and projecting an appearance that you're not an easy target....avoiding places where trouble could easily erupt...STILL..YOU CAN GET INTO TROUBLE...PARDON ME SIR OLYMPUS.. I HAVE THE SUSPICION YOU HAVEN'T BEEN AROUND TOO MUCH...HUWAG PO MASAMAIN PERO PO YUNG SAGOT NINYO AY PARANG SAGOT NG ISANG TAONG HINDI PA NAKARANAS NG AWAY...maybe... mga school rumbles...and such...pero yung tunay na patayan... I doubt it very much...PLEASE SIR...WHAT I WAS TRYING GET WAS INFO...hindi yung sagot ng mayaman... who lives in an affluent surrounding... where the chances of a violent confrontation is nil...

Kindly ask if Street Fighting Club is an accredited chapter of Muay Association of the Philippines. And who is their instructor?

Since you have a friend to train with, I suggest you also buy the thai pads. This will help you with the timing and the distance of executing techniques.

Thanks for the complements but I am not qualified to teach the art. I am just and will always be a student. I can give you some tips though and you can always ask me something about muay thai.

======

that's good to hear sir, thanks really appreciate that... my trainer says that what he is teaching us is a modern muay thai, because I am doing some research on the internet regarding the muay thai moves and when I ask him of a particular move that he did not teach us, he will say that that move is from the traditional muay thai...

how many kicks of muay thai do you know sir? coz based on the research I did on the internet, it has 6 kicks...

I don't know of any accredited MAP chapter in the south....

checked out the new elorde in sm southmall yesterday and they offer MT, are elorde MT instructors from MAP?

oh for anyone that's interested MT rates in Elorde southmall are:

300/session for walk in

250/session for members

I think it's 1800 or something for unlimited MT per month.

500 membership fee.

Good news to guys located in Las Pinas, there's an accredited MAP chapter in BF Homes. I'm just trying to get permission from the instructor to distribute his contact info. He's the real deal. He's a Philippine Team member (Class C) and won medals in local competitions (in a tournament, he defeated 3 Baguio City muay thai fighers. Fighting Baguio City muay thai practitioners is like fighting Koreans in TKD) and is undefeated at Fearless Fighting Championship.

I'm supposed to fight an exhibition match in SM Southmall a few weeks ago but have to beg off because my mom was diagnosed with leukemia. The instructor I think is Eman Sabrine, I'm afraid that he's not an accredited MAP member or chapter. He's a good fighter though, his brother and students would often compete in Yaw-yan matches.

that's good to hear sir, thanks really appreciate that... my trainer says that what he is teaching us is a modern muay thai, because I am doing some research on the internet regarding the muay thai moves and when I ask him of a particular move that he did not teach us, he will say that that move is from the traditional muay thai...

how many kicks of muay thai do you know sir? coz based on the research I did on the internet, it has 6 kicks...

hhmmm. Modern muay thai? Traditional muay thai or muay boran is the foundation of muay thai techniques. It's not commonly thought here and I learned it in Kaewsamrit Gym. Ask your instructor to teach you wai kru, the ceremonial dance done before a match. He can't use the excuse that he's teaching modern muay thai because wai kru is an integral part of muay thai. If you're claiming that you are fighting/competing in muay thai but couldn't do the wai kru then its either B.S. or you're not teaching authentic muay thai.

Muay thai has only two kicks that are commonly used, the teep and the round house kicks (and its many variations). They do have turning back kicks but rarely use it in the ring because its takes too long to execute and when you miss, you are at a disadvantageous position that you opponent can take advantage of. How does he execute his roundhouse kicks? Is it chambered or dead legged style? That alone will tell you if your instructor is teaching you authentic muay thai or muay thai flavored with other martial art.

Modern muay thai? Traditional muay thai or muay boran is the foundation of muay thai techniques. It's not commonly thought here and I learned it in Kaewsamrit Gym.

Sorry, let me correct myself. I should say "It's not commonly taught here". Sorry, got an adrenalin pump that blocked my faculty for the English language.