Martial Arts

Corkscrew

hhmmm. Modern muay thai? Traditional muay thai or muay boran is the foundation of muay thai techniques. It's not commonly thought here and I learned it in Kaewsamrit Gym. Ask your instructor to teach you wai kru, the ceremonial dance done before a match. He can't use the excuse that he's teaching modern muay thai because wai kru is an integral part of muay thai. If you're claiming that you are fighting/competing in muay thai but couldn't do the wai kru then its either B.S. or you're not teaching authentic muay thai.

Muay thai has only two kicks that are commonly used, the teep and the round house kicks (and its many variations). They do have turning back kicks but rarely use it in the ring because its takes too long to execute and when you miss, you are at a disadvantageous position that you opponent can take advantage of. How does he execute his roundhouse kicks? Is it chambered or dead legged style? That alone will tell you if your instructor is teaching you authentic muay thai or muay thai flavored with other martial art.

when you say "chambered" did you mean that the legs are not fully extended? like the leg should be in slightly bended position? if that's what you meant by chambered then yes that's whay he teaches us (pardon my ignorance sir), i don't have any background in any martial arts yet so I wouldn't know if he is teaching us an authentic muay thai or a muay thai flavored with other martial arts, this is the first martial arts I'm learning.

He teaches us a thai kick (thigh kick), where in you will kick your opponent at the knee joint, the outer part of the foot will hit the opponent's knee joint, then the round house kick, where in you kick to the rib part or to the head of the opponent.

I will ask him to teach us te wai kru, i've ask him once and he knows what that is though...

Olympus and Plakat,

PM sent.

Pedro Penduku,

Chambered means that before fully executing the roundhouse kick, you bend your knees and then straighten it out upon impact at the target. Check a karateka or tkd jin or yaw yan fighter do a roundhouse kick. They would raise their leg (its like doing a leg block) with their calf close to the leg and then extend the shin/knee at the moment of impact. Muay Thai style of roundhouse kick is done dead legged. The shin goes up directly to the target area, there's no chambering of the knee. Imagine doing the kick without the knee involved. I suggest watching videos at youtube and you'll the difference.

It's correct that the leg should be on a slightly bended position.

Why not asking your instructor to become a member of MAP? We are the accredited sanctioning body for Muay Thai and your gym can participate in any tournaments organized by MAP. Your gymmates/instructors could also try out for the Philippine team if they become accredited chapters.

Olympus and Plakat,

PM sent.

Pedro Penduku,

Chambered means that before fully executing the roundhouse kick, you bend your knees and then straighten it out upon impact at the target. Check a karateka or tkd jin or yaw yan fighter do a roundhouse kick. They would raise their leg (its like doing a leg block) with their calf close to the leg and then extend the shin/knee at the moment of impact. Muay Thai style of roundhouse kick is done dead legged. The shin goes up directly to the target area, there's no chambering of the knee. Imagine doing the kick without the knee involved. I suggest watching videos at youtube and you'll the difference.

It's correct that the leg should be on a slightly bended position.

Why not asking your instructor to become a member of MAP? We are the accredited sanctioning body for Muay Thai and your gym can participate in any tournaments organized by MAP. Your gymmates/instructors could also try out for the Philippine team if they become accredited chapters.

I will try to ask him about that sir, they do join interschool tournament and just last sunday on of his students won the championship in the said tournament, he told us that the kid was only 11 years old and fought in full contact karate. its not muay thai though. He asks us if we want to join a tournament too, but i'm not ready for that... need to undergo a good training first....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How about Krav Maga or Dim Mak? Anyone know if there are any instructors here in the metro?

best source of km training - join the israeli army. anything outside of that is toned down for civilian use. this was told to me by eyal yanilov personally. if you find a km instructor, check his credentials, if it can be traced to eyal then he should be halfway decent. anything not traceable to eyal is suspect. don't know who eyal is? that's what google is for...

dim mak - complete and utter waste of f#&king time. forget the fairy tales, save time, money and wasted effort; go train in something that really works.

I have been practicing Traditional Karate since the age of 7, and I am affiliated with Milo™ Sports Clinic for 5 years. At the age of 12, I was forced to stop payments, and sequentially my affiliation, because my parents were no longer willing to pay the necessary expenses (money problems).

That was the beginning of my self-study days. I practiced doing all the moves I have learned at karate, then I made my own modifications to create some sort of a "New Martial Art". I was not aware that I was practicing Jeet-Kune-Do "The Way Of The Intercepting Fist". Because Jeet-Kune-Do is a martial art which aims to "Use no way as a way", meaning to defend yourself without being conscious of yourself and your opponent. Being formless, shapeless, like water.

Since then, I always believed that no style is better than another, because the real deal is NOT how you attack, but by how you survive and strike back.

Recently, I've tried out Muay Thai. Grabe, nakaka-pagod talaga! Iba ang effort na kailangan mo dito. pero masarap din kasi you hit two birds with one stone. Learn to defend yourself, plus lose weight in the quickest, but toughest method I've ever known.

I have never again involved myself with any society that teaches martial arts, because I believe that I could learn a lot more, provided that I always stay on focus. With the right motivation, anything is possible.

How about Krav Maga or Dim Mak? Anyone know if there are any instructors here in the metro?

There's a Krav Maga school in San Juan but people I know don't speak highly of it. If you want to learn knife fighting or defense against knives, FMAs are much, much better and cheaper too.

Justin Nicholas,

Where do you train in Muay Thai?

some info pls...are there two distinct styles of wing chun???... I recently saw a demo by a seasoned practitioner from singapore.. and his wing chun wasn't like that of Yip Man ... piston like punching.. straight line attack, etc... His 'style' of wing chun was a bit more 'flowery'... a lot of elbows..snake-like motions...and the footwork... did involved some quick steps/hops....and even sa cross-legged transistional stances... He said it's called pan dam or pan nam wing chun .. sorry didn't get the name exactly... the original form of wing chun...SOME INFO PLS. TNX.

some info pls...are there two distinct styles of wing chun???... I recently saw a demo by a seasoned practitioner from singapore.. and his wing chun wasn't like that of Yip Man ... piston like punching.. straight line attack, etc... His 'style' of wing chun was a bit more 'flowery'... a lot of elbows..snake-like motions...and the footwork... did involved some quick steps/hops....and even sa cross-legged transistional stances... He said it's called pan dam or pan nam wing chun .. sorry didn't get the name exactly... the original form of wing chun...SOME INFO PLS. TNX.

Hey Smartass,

Yes there are a few forms of Wing Chun. Not sure which is the original, but the one under Yip Man, was made famouse by Bruce Lee and is the concept for his JKD. I've studied under two different styles of Wing Chun (Yip Man style and Yuen Kay San). Both a pretty similar.

Wing Chun is basic, so all the flowery circular motion isn't Wing Chun to my knowledge. To contradict myself, there are a few circular motions in Wing Chun, but mainly for escapes from grabs or to move an opponents arms. I'd have to see what you're talking about to be sure, but there are elbows and footwork in the second and third forms that many people don't see....

When I was living in the Philippines, I was hoping to find some Wing Chun practitioners, but no joy. I'm back in the states and it's hard to find here too. Everyone is into BJJ or MAA...

Snobby

salamat po sir snobbysnak for the info...i didn't get the name exactly... Pan dam or Pan Nam wing chun... it's popular in singapore ... Sir Leloup... have you have info on this???... tnx po...

there's really nothing wrong with mixed martial arts...it's just a name...when i studied judo/jujitsu...a little boxing... and FMA..I didn't confind myself to one particular style...each had it's merits and drawbacks...when someone attacks you.. use all at your disposal to defend yourself... without labelling it.. you're doing mixed martial arts...

alamat po sir snobbysnak for the info...i didn't get the name exactly... Pan dam or Pan Nam wing chun... it's popular in singapore ... Sir Leloup... have you have info on this???... tnx po...

there's really nothing wrong with mixed martial arts...it's just a name...when i studied judo/jujitsu...a little boxing... and FMA..I didn't confind myself to one particular style...each had it's merits and drawbacks...when someone attacks you.. use all at your disposal to defend yourself... without labelling it.. you're doing mixed martial arts

Sorry, don't know much about Chinese martial art.

As for MMA, you're right about it.

There's a Krav Maga school in San Juan but people I know don't speak highly of it. If you want to learn knife fighting or defense against knives, FMAs are much, much better and cheaper too.

Justin Nicholas,

Where do you train in Muay Thai?

I train in Muay Thai at Fitness First, located at SM Hypermarket, then eventually I've been training on my own, usually at home. It took me about 2 months to "master" the art.

I train in Muay Thai at Fitness First, located at SM Hypermarket, then eventually I've been training on my own, usually at home. It took me about 2 months to "master" the art.

You've mastered the art in 2 months? Really? The Kru's of MAP - the Muay Association of the Philippines - who currenltyt represent the country in Muay Thai events here and abroad don't even call themselves masters of their art, and they've been doing it for years.

Even the local black belts in Brazilina Jiu Jitsu here in the country never claim to have mastered their art.

Edited by ron9
You've mastered the art in 2 months? Really? The Kru's of MAP - the Muay Association of the Philippines - who currenltyt represent the country in Muay Thai events here and abroad don't even call themselves masters of their art, and they've been doing it for years.
Perhaps what he means is that he learned the basics in just two months.

Really, there's muay thai in Fitness First? Are they affiliated with MAP? who's the instructor?

Even the local black belts in Brazilina Jiu Jitsu here in the country never claim to have mastered their art.
BJJ and MT are two different martial arts. Striking martial arts, such as MT, TKD etc are much easier to "master" or earn a blackbelt (there's no belting system in MT) than grappling/throwing arts such as BJJ, Judo and Aikido. Which is why you can be a TKD or Karate Blackbelt in 3 or 4 years. Whereas in BJJ, you're considered lucky or exceptional to get the blackbelt in 8 years.
Perhaps what he means is that he learned the basics in just two months.

Really, there's muay thai in Fitness First? Are they affiliated with MAP? who's the instructor?

BJJ and MT are two different martial arts. Striking martial arts, such as MT, TKD etc are much easier to "master" or earn a blackbelt (there's no belting system in MT) than grappling/throwing arts such as BJJ, Judo and Aikido. Which is why you can be a TKD or Karate Blackbelt in 3 or 4 years. Whereas in BJJ, you're considered lucky or exceptional to get the blackbelt in 8 years.

what i meant was that those who shed blood and tears in years of mastering their art never consider themselves or even claim to have 'mastered' their art...they are true enough warriors to admit that they continuously learn and evolve in their craft