Martial Arts

Corkscrew

OK LANG SIR, WE ARE PRACTISING YAWYAN KASAMA SI ESME SA MAKATI ARDIGMA EVERY SAT 10-12 AM

AM 40'S NA.....EXERCISE AT THE SAME TIME SELF DEFENSE

INGGIT AKO SA MGA ANAK KO .... VARSITY NG TAEKWONDO SA UST

TRY MO MUNA SIR BAKA KAYA PA, KINAUSAP KO TRAINER KO NA WAG MASYADO TRAINING KASI BAKA MAHIRAPAN KAMI

OK NAMAN

Hi The humps!

Saan po ba yung address nyan..or better do you have their fone number? pa post naman po ..tnx in advanced :)

Hi All. Just wanted to put out that if anyone is interested in a Wing Chun Dummy, I've got a friend who makes good ones. It took awhile for him to get the design right, but he finally got it and I finally have one. Specs are right on.

I PM'd Corkscrew a couple of times regarding Wing Chun and I guess I was one of the only guess in Manila who practice this art. I'm sure there are others, but couldn't find them...Oh well...

Dummy are great quality and you don't have to pay those high prices you see on the internet...

Email at snobbysnak@yahoo.com for a quicker response...

tnx for the info corkscrew.... but I read somewhere that the internal style

bagua zhang ( correct spelling ba? ) is both suitable for frail as well as

stocky body built....and aikido is best suited for lean....

Hi Smartass,

Baguazhang, Bagua zhang, Pakuachang, Pakua chang, Bagua or Pakua. Thats all correct. But the original name of the art prior to being renamed was "Zhang Zhuan" or Turning Palms. Depending on which historian you're going to listen to - the origins are sketchy. But most agree that it was born only 150 years ago. The person being attributed its creation is named Dong Hai Chuan (several spellings of the same name), he taught 5 main students. Each was already a master at some other Chinese martial art. Only the 6th student (and that is under debate), was a complete beginner. The funny thing is that he taught each one differently. He also encouraged each one to develop Bagua differently based on their previous martial mastery. So today, barring the Wu Shu versions of Bagua... there are at least 5 versions, named after these original 5 students: Cheng Style, Yin Style, Song Style, Liu Style and Ma Style. After that, other people improved on these, thus were born Sun Style, Liang Len Pu Style & Gao Style. Then there are also places that claim to have had Bagua for centuries, like Emei Style, Wu Dang Style, etc. As you can see... there's quite a bit, and its confusing.

Please take note: NONE OF THESE STYLES LOOK ALIKE. They don't even fight alike. One of the styles is completely linear in movement. They don't even practice circle walking, which is common to other Bagua schools. And yet - it is a legitimate school of Bagua. Another school tends to use throwing & chin na. Yet another likes to slap its opponents' to death - literally. No other martial art on the planet has so much variation in forms or methods of training as Bagua. Even the understanding of how things are internal is as varied. It is the most confusing martial art to discuss accurately because of the diversity of styles and very nature of the style itself.

Baguazhang is founded on the principles of the I Ching (rather, the fighting art came first - then was associated with the I Ching). The I Ching is the "Book of Change". Everything changes in Bagua.

So to go back to the point: the different bagua styles tend to favor specific body types too. The one I'm studying, is good for big people (thats why it was given to me in the first place). Yin Fu Style - which is the linear one, is best for the lean body. Just my opinion tho - not written on stone.

I'll pass commenting on aikido. ;D

tnx for the info corkscrew.... but I read somewhere that the internal style

bagua zhang ( correct spelling ba? ) is both suitable for frail as well as

stocky body built....and aikido is best suited for lean....

The founder of Aikido (Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei) was about 5'3" and weighed about 180 pounds (muscle, not fat). That's not exactly lean...

Corkscrew,

Kindly explain to me what is Sanshou and what is its difference between the other style you discussed? I used to train with Ronald Bingwaoel, a former RP Sanshou team, but he wasn't able to fully explain the style to me. He's very light on his feet, despite of his size. And he attribute this to his Sanshou training in China.

Corkscrew,

Kindly explain to me what is Sanshou and what is its difference between the other style you discussed? I used to train with Ronald Bingwaoel, a former RP Sanshou team, but he wasn't able to fully explain the style to me. He's very light on his feet, despite of his size. And he attribute this to his Sanshou training in China.

Hi Leloup,

The word San shou is used in three ways that I know of:

1) It relates to a type of Tournament specifically for Chinese Martial Arts. Thus the word would be used in a sentence as "San Shou Tournaments". This is a venue for any Chinese Martial Arts style to fight in. In the ancient days of China, deaths in a San Shou tournament was commonplace. Crippling - even more common.

2) It also is used to refer to the kind of fighting used in these tournaments. As you know, every kind of tournament has its own rules & regulations. Modern or Contemporary San Shou tournaments are held with the fighters wearing gloves. No grappling (the modern definition applies) happens since you can't really grab. But you are allowed to "hold" on to the opponent and throw him down to the ground. You cannot strike, apply strangulation techniques, locks of any kind (leglock, hiplock, kneelock, anklelock, elbowlock, wristlock, etc. etc.) are not allowed, to an opponent already down on the ground. This fighting method called "San Shou" was born out of the Tournament, which is centuries old in China.

3) It refers to a specific martial art. But the term San Shou is incomplete by itself. A more appropriate term would be San Shou Kiao Jiao (or San Shou Shuai Chiao). The additional terms of "Kiao Jiao" literally translates to "Fast Wrestling". It is not the western idea of wrestling, but rather the Chinese notion of it - which is Chin na (to sieze or grab the opponent). The San Shou Kiao Jiao - predates even Jujitsu... while not one of the 5 oldest Chinese martial arts.

**I was able to purchase a book from Squadron Shop many years ago w/c had pictographs of techniques from San Shou Kiao Jiao. I was surprised to find the full complement of Judo throws (all 64 of them were there in the book). There were variations to the techniques, but they're all there anyways. Some research into Brazilian Jujitsyu also revealed their throws also present in the book. In short, it is likely that the Japanese borrowed their techniques from San Shou Kiao Jiao and made it their own... possibly improving on it.

I've not met Mr Ronald Bingwaoel. I didn't even know there was an RP Team? But there are San Shou tournaments in Binondo. Its a yearly event as I understand. I've met a few fighters. Very impressive style.

I'd studied Kiao Jiao for a while, but didn't delve into it too much. Sorry I can't offer more information. ;D

Hi Leloup,

The word San shou is used in three ways that I know of:

1) It relates to a type of Tournament specifically for Chinese Martial Arts. Thus the word would be used in a sentence as "San Shou Tournaments". This is a venue for any Chinese Martial Arts style to fight in. In the ancient days of China, deaths in a San Shou tournament was commonplace. Crippling - even more common.

2) It also is used to refer to the kind of fighting used in these tournaments. As you know, every kind of tournament has its own rules & regulations. Modern or Contemporary San Shou tournaments are held with the fighters wearing gloves. No grappling (the modern definition applies) happens since you can't really grab. But you are allowed to "hold" on to the opponent and throw him down to the ground. You cannot strike, apply strangulation techniques, locks of any kind (leglock, hiplock, kneelock, anklelock, elbowlock, wristlock, etc. etc.) are not allowed, to an opponent already down on the ground. This fighting method called "San Shou" was born out of the Tournament, which is centuries old in China.

3) It refers to a specific martial art. But the term San Shou is incomplete by itself. A more appropriate term would be San Shou Kiao Jiao (or San Shou Shuai Chiao). The additional terms of "Kiao Jiao" literally translates to "Fast Wrestling". It is not the western idea of wrestling, but rather the Chinese notion of it - which is Chin na (to sieze or grab the opponent). The San Shou Kiao Jiao - predates even Jujitsu... while not one of the 5 oldest Chinese martial arts.

**I was able to purchase a book from Squadron Shop many years ago w/c had pictographs of techniques from San Shou Kiao Jiao. I was surprised to find the full complement of Judo throws (all 64 of them were there in the book). There were variations to the techniques, but they're all there anyways. Some research into Brazilian Jujitsyu also revealed their throws also present in the book. In short, it is likely that the Japanese borrowed their techniques from San Shou Kiao Jiao and made it their own... possibly improving on it.

I've not met Mr Ronald Bingwaoel. I didn't even know there was an RP Team? But there are San Shou tournaments in Binondo. Its a yearly event as I understand. I've met a few fighters. Very impressive style.

I'd studied Kiao Jiao for a while, but didn't delve into it too much. Sorry I can't offer more information. ;D

nice.. interesting...

That's very helpful information, Corkscrew. I've been thinking of cross training in Sanshou because, like you said, it teaches you how to throw an opponent even with gloves (which is very difficult). (Sanshou competitions is like Muay Thai and YY but without the use of the ring and with throws allowed). But I was told that the Wushu gym in Rizal Stadium is not open to Non-RP team members. Is this true?

Yes, we have a San shou RP team. They even competed in the last Manila SEA Games. The Wushu fighters that dominates in the URCC are Sanshou fighters like Mark Sangiao.

That's very helpful information, Corkscrew. I've been thinking of cross training in Sanshou because, like you said, it teaches you how to throw an opponent even with gloves (which is very difficult). (Sanshou competitions is like Muay Thai and YY but without the use of the ring and with throws allowed). But I was told that the Wushu gym in Rizal Stadium is not open to Non-RP team members. Is this true?

Yes, we have a San shou RP team. They even competed in the last Manila SEA Games. The Wushu fighters that dominates in the URCC are Sanshou fighters like Mark Sangiao.

Leloup,

First, there are many throws from different styles that do not rely on a grip. San Shou Kiao Jiao has many. Please take a look likewise at SCARS or Special Combat Aggressive Reactionary System. They've a website, I believe it is www.SCARS.com. It used to be a pay-site, I no longer know for certain as its been awhile since I last looked.

I don't know if the Rizal Stadium is open to non-members or not. Besides, there's a lot of politics going on there. This follows not only for the Wu Shu team, but rather for practically every single martial art there. If you're interested in further training, do PM me - I can give you contact persons who may be able to help you with this. I'll have to talk to them beforehand tho, and see if they're willing to teach San Shou only.

Exactly what is your interest here? Fighting for tournaments? Street fighting? Wu Shu forms? Health? There's no bad answer. Everyone studies martial arts for different reasons & its all good.

Likewise, what is you main fighting style? You mentioned "cross training".

Edited by Corkscrew

shuai chiao

often called the oldest form of kung fu, shuai chiao (this name was only adopted in 1928 by the goushu institute when formalised rules were first drawn up) is also acknowledged as the parent art of jiu jitsu and, by extension, judo and aikido. shuai chiao was also one of the arts studied by the russians to incorporate into sambo. although unlike judo or sambo, shuai chiao does not rely on grabbing the clothing of the opponent. some researchers trace it to mongolian "bohke" (pronounced bouk) wrestling. not a farfetched notion considering that the mongols ruled over large parts of china, and asia. nowadays it is still taught to the police and the military of china and taiwan.

the purpose of shuai chiao is to throw your opponent so he lands in a way that either knocks him out or renders him incapable of continuing to fight (broken leg, back, arm, skull, any of these would really f#&k up your day). strikes, kicks and locks are all used to set up the opponent for the throw; so it can be viewed as a total fighting system, i hate using the word "style", it sounds like two faggots having tea before buttf#&king someone.

the greatest exponent of shuia chiao was grandmaster chang tung-sheng ("the butterfly who could k*ll" was one of his nicknames) who was undefeated until his 70's. chang also studied several other arts during his tenure at the control martial arts academy in nanking. aside from shuai chiao, two other legacies he left behind are: chang style tai chi chuan, and hsing jing (essence of hsing yi).

watch the following video and decide for yourself if shuai chiao is for you:

corkscrew and hellspawn.... you are both well-verse in Chinese martial arts..

both external and internal...I READ SOMEWHERE...AN OLD 1960's book on

shaolin kung fu... that the best 'boxer' (a misnomer...a reference to all practioners

of the chinese martial arts....) is one who BLENDS both soft and hard styles...

which maybe both striking and grappling arts... external or internal arts...

How can, for example... Hung Gar... an external style be "blended' with shall

we say... tai chi or hsing i or bagua...internal style...???

HI corkscrew! :) what sigle martial arts would you suggest for a pure street fight..including the dirty moves

Its not the martial art. Its the martial artist. As my teacher would say "Get anything and take it to a high level." (Jim Dees, World Taoist League). What "high level" stands for tho - is defined differently by each style, moreso by each person.

The main question that you should ask yourself is "how high up the mountain do I want to go?"

After that, you must ask yourself what price you are willing to pay to get there. I don't mean money, I mean time spent training & time spent obtaining worthwhile information. It sounds easy, but... I'll be the first to tell you that there's nothing easy about it. :D

often called the oldest form of kung fu, shuai chiao (this name was only adopted in 1928 by the goushu institute when formalised rules were first drawn up) is also acknowledged as the parent art of jiu jitsu and, by extension, judo and aikido. shuai chiao was also one of the arts studied by the russians to incorporate into sambo. although unlike judo or sambo, shuai chiao does not rely on grabbing the clothing of the opponent. some researchers trace it to mongolian "bohke" (pronounced bouk) wrestling. not a farfetched notion considering that the mongols ruled over large parts of china, and asia. nowadays it is still taught to the police and the military of china and taiwan.

Hellspawn,

Some clarifications: Shua Chiao as you'd posted was formalized only in 1928. Chin na - which is the oldest martial art in China is its source. It being the oldest & most studied, it has been infused in literally every form of Kung Fu that exists. That is why most learned teachers will tell you that each & every move has at least three uses: one strike, one throw, one chin na. Your post is correct in every sense, just replace the word Shuai Chiao with Chin na. :D

An important note tho on Chin na, is that it existed long before "bohke". Chin na was already in existence long before the Chinese even learned how to write. It is the oldest martial art in the World.

shaolin kung fu... that the best 'boxer' (a misnomer...a reference to all practioners

Smart-ass,

Different people have different opinions of how things should be done, or even what something is or is not. That's just the way it is. Due to the popularity of mixed martial arts these days, one would be led to believe that it is possible to mix stuff. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Internal Theory is so radically different from External Theory that its like comparing Day & Night. How similar is that? Fighting is fighting & both end up fighting... but the manner in which both approach fighting is completely different. The word "martial" afterall implies that both are combative. But another word exists in the equation, which is "art". Ergo, the differences in approach.

Lets talk some basics: the highest level of a martial art is its PHILOSOPHY. Because the Philosophy answers the question WHY. What do I mean? Many forms of practice are in direct opposition of each other, even if the goal is the same. TAOIST martial arts which are ALL internal, focus on what is "natural" as the Taoists define it. BUDDHIST methods such as Shaolin Kung Fu - are not interested in what is "natural" only in the effect. Taoists do not wish to die early - not believing in an afterlife, so health & effect is both important.

Lets talk about breathing: Buddhists like to do reverse breathing, controlled deep breathing, and generally try to direct CHI with the mind. Taoists don't do any of these things. Their Philosophy is that everything must occur naturally. You don't force CHI, you don't force your breathing, and you don't drive chi with your mind (thats a Buddhist concept). Taoist thought in fact states that doing these things will k*ll YOU. So how can you possibly mix these two?

Now my teacher teaches Hsing I, Baguazhang and Chen family style Tai Chi... these are Internal martial arts. I asked him if I could mix the use of these styles. I was surprised when he said NO. Why? His answer is, the ART of Hsing I fights a certain way. It has its own fighing theory & flavor. If I added or deviated from that theme, is it still Hsing I? No. It becomes chop seuy. Each of the other internal martial arts has its own theme, its own flavor. So, to address your question - if even internal martial arts CANNOT be mixed together, how much more trying to mix internal and external martial arts?

Of interest, the Buddhist say you can mix theirs with the Taoists'. The Taoists are baffled how this is possible. I tend to follow Taoist Philosophy as far as martial arts is concerned. :D

Smart-ass & Alphamale-X,

Sorry, I got caught up in answering the first part of your post, that I'd failed to notice the second part.

I think I have already addressed the question with my latest post above, but if I may say so - I think that you asked the wrong question. ;D

Let's talk about Hung Gar a bit so that you would understand my point: Hung Gar or Ang Kha or Five Animal Fist, is one of the oldest martial arts of China. It is younger than Chin na, but among the list of the top 5 oldest kung fu styles.

It is NOT of Shaolin origin, although it has been practiced there. Its influence on Shaolin is readily apparent when you see the Five Animal Forms of Shaolin, and the multiple animal forms that sprouted from the same idea (to cite an example, Monkey King and his Staff). It is NOT of Taoist origin either. It comes from a Family, which developed it.

Now, Hung Gar has so many forms or katas. Each form aims to teach you new things (its up to you to discover what these are). Eventually, when the teacher feels that you're good enough... you will be taught a form called "IRON WIRE". Hung Gar is famous for this. So powerful is this form... wow... personally I DO NOT SEE why you would want to study anything else. If you're already studying Hung Gar, stick to it. Take it to a high level. Wait til you're taught Iron Wire. And when you learn this... you will look for me, and treat me out to dinner to thank me for advising you to stick with it.

Now... nearly every Kung Fu style has something similar. For Choy Li Fut, it is Five Shadows & Twin Fists of Justice forms (there are three, one to reflect the three sources of Choy Li Fut). Tibetan White Crane has a similar form & is well respected not only today, but even in Ancient China (to the point that even internal masters were impressed).

My point: there's no such thing as an Ultimate Martial Art. There's no such thing as "my art is better than yours". Anyone trying to tell you that is either: trying to get into your pants; or he's selling you something (their style).

Every style has its own strengths & weaknesses. Most people abandon a fighting style saying "ah this is poor in this" or "the weakness of this is like this" or "my style can't do that" or "this famous guys used this and lost" or "that style can do this, mine can't"... blah blah blah... in short, they don't bother to stick around to get to the mountain's top. They blame the Art for their own stupidity or ignorance & seek "greener pastures". Not realizing, that it is THEY who are at fault. Not the art.

I practice Internal Martial Arts exclusively these days. But that doesn't mean that its superior to anything else I have seen, practiced or read about. Its a different flavor which I appreciate; I like my teacher; I like the way they fight; I like the philosophy; I like the theme; I like the humility involved; I like the history; I like the way that the style suits my personal mindset, my preferences and combative/health needs.

INTERNAL IS NOT SUPERIOR. I just like it. That's all there is to it.

The same thing follows for ANY EXTERNAL style. It is not superior or inferior. Its just different. That's it.

cockscrew... the question asked was properly answered... but I re read the book... the passage

about the 'best' boxer as being neither soft or hard....it seems the author wasn't refering to

styles but rather techniques... or fighting strategies or tactics that regardless of style...each

DO have 'soft and hard' .....

smart arse

man, have you got me confused with someone else! i'm not versed in the chinese arts at all. other then shuai chiao i do not rate cma to any great level. now before anybody gets insulted and gets their panties all twisted up, let me add that this is solely my opinion, based on my study, experience, and requirements.

firstly, i don't believe that imitating animals, insects, birds or anything else that isn't human can be a solid foundation for fighting. humans don't have the morphology of a praying mantis, a crane, a bear, a tiger or a monkey. we don't have claws, wings, fangs, fins, feathers or beaks. yes i know the movements are supposed to represent the animals in question and that they are noble creatures blah blah blah. i don't have the luxury of spending 10 years trying to figure out that white crane form number 3 is incredibly deadly if i'm ever attacked by five bandits on a mountain road in the middle of winter. i run the risk of being attacked by armed people tomorrow, what can i learn now to ensure i will make it home to a tall glass of bourbon and cola?

secondly, i don't believe in chi, dim mak, or any other woo woo wackadoodle stuff like this. i don't believe that hitting somebody in gall bladder point 37 followed by tapping heart meridian 12 will make a guy's head explode ten minutes later. i don't believe that grandmaster fuk wit has chi so powerful it would make your bones melt. there are easier ways to break bones, and you don't have to spend 20 years wearing black pyjamas to learn it. if i want to hit pressure points i'll take you down and stick one finger in your eye, while biting your nose and sticking one hand into your pants so i can rip your testicles off your body.

thirdly, i do not subscribe to any noble, altruistic, or elevated sense of serving humanity. what i want is to learn how to f#&k people up big time, in the quickest way possible, doing the most damage possible, with the least amount of effort and injury to myself. that's what i like about shuai chiao, it's fast and a lot of the throws can be learned and applied quickly, not in any perfect award winning way, but in a "i'm in the s@%t and need to get out now" way.

fourthly, i do not see the time that i will be walking through town on a friday night and have to defend myself using my kwan do, three section staff, butterfly knives, elk horn knives, tai chi sword, war fan, two section staff, staff, or any other chinese, japanese, taiwanese, or any "nese" weapon for that matter. so learning these exotic weapons, while most probably fun, would be a waste of time for me. what is the weapon most commonly used (here where i live anyway) in fights? bottles.

as for your question, there are two systems i know that combine both hard and soft elements:

goju ryu (hard-soft school) karate, which most likely originated from a chinese system known as wu pei chih. of the various types of karate goju ryu is known to be the one to receive the most chinese influence.

and shorinji kempo, (the japanese pronounciation of shaolin temple fist) which breaks down it's syllabus into three parts: goho (hard) juho (soft) and seiho (resuscitation). shorinj kempo is very interesting in that it is also a part of a religion known as kongo zen. i also like the fact that there is no bowing in shorinji kempo.

so there you have it, two systems that combine hard and soft.

have fun.

cockscrew... the question asked was properly answered... but I re read the book... the passage

about the 'best' boxer as being neither soft or hard....it seems the author wasn't refering to

styles but rather techniques... or fighting strategies or tactics that regardless of style...each

DO have 'soft and hard' .....

Ah... hard & soft is indeed very different from internal & external. There is also slow & fast. These are concepts which are totally unrelated to one another. The common misconception is that soft is internal, and that slow is also internal. Neither soft nor slow make something internal. Likewise, an internal martial art can be practiced as an external martial art.

Lets take Aikido. Aikido is soft (meaning it doesn't fight force with force). But its practiced either fast or slow. This is an external martial art (relies on muscle).

Yang Style Tai Chi - which is the most commonly known internal martial art. This is slow & soft. Definitely internal.

Chen Style Tai Chi - less known, but is the original Tai Chi. This is slow & fast (techniques change speed as the form is executed). Definitely internal.

Hsing I - this is hard & fast. Still internal.

Pakua - soft & fast. Still internal.

In short, hard & soft have nothing to do with being internal or not. It depends on the fighting theme of the art.