Martial Arts

Corkscrew

Where can we find Nap Fernandez's training

This surprise maneuvers are practical for any engagement

Nap Fernandez's design of Yaw Yan is not based on Taiji or Aikido. Mga hilong hybrid na yan. The basics of this art is founded on what Nap calls "Unorthodox Kicks". Surprise kicking maneuvers baga. Very effective by itself. Arnis is the main addendum in Yaw Yan.

I reside in Mandaluyong (labas)

san ba location mo bro?

Same question here were can we find Yawyan. thanks

Hi Vi-king,

No problem. My pleasure!

Ok. When I met Nap - there was no groundfighting in YY yet (thats why he was asking me and others to teach at his school). But, as early as then... shortly before any of the UFC bouts started appearing, Nap already foresaw a need to develop Yaw Yan even further. Not really to get into groundfighting, but rather to address groundfighting. You don't have to go down to the ground to beat a grappler. But you do have to study how to get out of the ground, if in case it happens. THAT, was his purpose.

We're talking about the same human body here. There's a finite amount of ways to move this same body - including the elbow & knees. Both MT & YY employ these weapons often & whenever possible. While the body movements are finite, the uses & combination of movements is what is infinite. There are likewise many ways to fight with the same movement (that statement is so profound if you really think about it).

Let's talk about your statement "primary step is attacking the opponents attacking limb first"... well, that is a common Filipino fighting strategy used in many Arnis styles. What is uncommon is that YY takes that one step further. It attempts to destroy one side of the opponent first. Think about it, if your arm & leg on the same side gets so badly hurt to the point of being limp... can you defend yourself on that side? While some may answer "yes", most will humbly admit "no".

YY differs from MT in the sense that MT will scatter its elbow & knee strikes anywhere & everywhere on his/her opponent's body. The YY fighter will favor striking only the leg & arm on the same side of his/her opponent. There's a significant deviation in fighting method & strategy here. In short, MT will "maul" the opponent to death. YY will incapacitate the opponent on one side, because once this has been done - anything that follows will work. It is called the "Dance of Death" because you literally can play around with your opponent once he's incapacitated... then, k*ll him off if needed. You merely have to continue attacking on the incapacited or debilitated side.

Nap is a genius. :D

Beyond this, can't really offer more info on Yaw Yan (unless its historical info you need). Again, I don't practice YY. Never did, never will.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Corky

Hi Cork screw

thank you very much,

Very Interesting post.......if you would like to have a look on that old Ikf mag article about yawyan,just inform me.will send it to you.

Once again Thank you

God Bless

hi Tricy,

that depends on what your interests are? also location has a lot to do with it. natural kapag sobrang layo, malabo na kahit mura. teachers will charge anywhere from zero to 200K for a six month course. it really depends. what have you seen that catches your fancy?

wow! ganun pala kamahal un..hindi pala basta2 yun.thanks for the info ha :)

Hi badburnmd,

There's quite a number of FMA's to begin with: Yaw Yan, Tay San, Sarian, Bakbakan, Away Kalye, Dumog, Panununtukan, Sikaran, Eskrima, Espada y daga AND a whole host of ARNIS schools (too many different styles to mention). Which one are you interested in?

im interested in any form of arnis... tried sarian way back before in college, pero i quit, just want some to learn and maxinize my spare time, toxic work kasi...any place near me (taft/malate area) would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Where can we find Nap Fernandez's training

I asked my friend Danny, Editor-in-Chief of Rapid Mag and he advised me that Nap may be retired already. But, his main students are still actively teaching. There's a link to a webpage that has the existing original style (non-hybrid) schools below:

Yawyan School Directory

I reside in Mandaluyong (labas)

Hehehe! Are you sure? :D

Edited by Corkscrew
im interested in any form of arnis... tried sarian way back before in college, pero i quit, just want some to learn and maxinize my spare time, toxic work kasi...any place near me (taft/malate area) would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Taft/Malate area? Wow... sorry, I don't know anyone who teaches ARNIS in that area. Kung fu teachers, yes. That's close enough to China Town. But most of the guys I know teaching Arnis are in the QC Area. Hmmm... there is one guy, he's a Prof at UP and he frequents Squadron Shop in Binondo to study Ben Kiam style Go Cho (Five Ancestor Fist) with Alex Co, owner of Squadron (another friend). Bot is one of the 5 Main Students of the late Master Lema of the Lema-Lightning Arnis style. His name is Prof. BOT HOKANO. An old friend. If you're interested, PM me so I can give you his cellphone number. Will have to confirm with him first his schedule, & permission.

Smart-ass is right, there's a good discussion on FMA also on this same Board. I've read through it & its pretty good.

Hi Cork screw

thank you very much,

Very Interesting post.......if you would like to have a look on that old Ikf mag article about yawyan,just inform me.will send it to you.

Once again Thank you

God Bless

Hi Vi-king,

Thanks. Just trying to help.

About the IKF mag, sounds good to me. Yes, I would like to have a look at it. How do we arrange that? PM? :D

God Bless,

Corky

I'm a practitioner of TKD (for 12 years and was my University's varsity player), Muay Thai (been practicing for 4 years and I'm an officer of Muay Association of the Philippines, the NSA for Muay Thai and have visited training camps in Thailand) Yaw-yan (been practicing for 2 years) and currently cross training in boxing, judo and BJJ. Having practiced these disciplines, I believe that I am in a good position to make some comments regarding the differences between these martial arts.

There are several differences between TKD and MT. Beside from the point of contact, MT using the shin while TKD using the instep, Muay Thai kicks are thrown dead legged style. It's like swinging a baseball bat with your shin as the bat and your hips as the swinging arms. Whereas in TKD, the kicks are chambered (just like Yaw-yan). There are a lot of jumping, turning and flying kicks in TKD but you will not see them in MT. I've fought in TKD and Muay thai matches and jumping, turning and flying kicks takes too long to execute and thus can easily be evaded or countered, especially in a match that you can throw punches. A fancy turning long kick can easily be countered by a simple push kick.

There are advantages and disadvantages between Yawyan and MT kicks. It would really boil down to the fighter's preference and fighting style. Even here in the Philippines, MT and YY have squared off several times and the results are mixed. Sometimes YY wins, sometimes MT carries the day.

I've something against unorthodox kicks because aside from being difficult to learn, it also takes a long time to execute. Scorpion kicks takes much longer to execute. Clinching your opponent then executing several knees to the head is much faster and you can do more damage to your opponent. In the ring, a split second is a long time. But then again, it really boils down to the fighter's preference and fighting style. Even if you watch YY matches, unorthodox kicks are rarely executed. The simple kicks such as roundhouse and push kicks are more commonly used.

And I study judo and BJJ because in a match, it is very easy to close the gap and take down an opponent. In UFC and Pride matches, even world class kickboxers or MT fighters can easily taken down by wrestlers and BJJ practitioners. These are world class stand up fighters, what more of a fighter of lesser caliber. I remember Badong Valdueza (no disrespect to him, he's a friend of mine) a fighter of Yaw-yan, and nephew of the legendary Emiliano Zapata, lost via armbar from a BJJ fighter in a URCC match. Badong is one of the best fighters of yaw-yan at present. But he was beaten by a submission maneuver. Now, tell me is yaw-yan alone enough or cross training in a grappling art would improve your game.

No disrespect intended to Yaw-yan (I'm a practitioner of Yaw-yan myself) but when they went to Thailand, did they went up against the top notch Lumpinee or Rajadamnern champions? Perhaps they did mangled the thai fighters but what is the caliber of these fighters? Did yaw-yan sent their very best to Thailand's very best or very worst fighters? Even American kickboxing legend Benny Urquidez did that. He went to Thailand and fought against an ageing Muay Thai fighter. He of course won but where is the glory in fighting an overmatched opponent.

Martial arts has evolved so much in the last 13 years since the first UFC that it will be foolish for a fighter to say that one style is enough, that one style can dominate every martial arts. It's no longer the age of "my kung fu is better than your kung fu". It's take the best of every art, eliminate the unnecessary, and incorporate it in your fighting style. Even the fabled Gracie family is cross training in Muay Thai and boxing because they get beaten by nonpractitioners of BJJ. In UFC, Pride and even in the local URCC, you can't see a fighter who did not cross trained in another martial art.

There are several differences between TKD and MT. Beside from the point of contact, MT using the shin while TKD using the instep, Muay Thai kicks are thrown dead legged style. It's like swinging a baseball bat with your shin as the bat and your hips as the swinging arms. Whereas in TKD, the kicks are chambered (just like Yaw-yan). There are a lot of jumping, turning and flying kicks in TKD but you will not see them in MT. I've fought in TKD and Muay thai matches and jumping, turning and flying kicks takes too long to execute and thus can easily be evaded or countered, especially in a match that you can throw punches. A fancy turning long kick can easily be countered by a simple push kick.

Can you please explain ,how the power in yawyan kicks is produced.Read like Yaw-Yan has kicks has power of muaythai kicks and speed like taekwondo kicks and Yaw-Yan kicks are faster athan Muaythai.What you think about it.

Even if you watch YY matches, unorthodox kicks are rarely executed. The simple kicks such as roundhouse and push kicks are more commonly used.
[/i]

You are right , i have seen all the Yaw-Yan Ardigma Makati matches in google video and youtube ,but havnt seen these kicks.

have some videos of old matches(2002) ,i think it's yaw-yan to yaw-yan matches.In my opinion , they are wild matches ,even they are using knees and elbows to the ground showing some pure yaw-yan spirit.

No disrespect intended to Yaw-yan (I'm a practitioner of Yaw-yan myself) but when they went to Thailand, did they went up against the top notch Lumpinee or Rajadamnern champions? Perhaps they did mangled the thai fighters but what is the caliber of these fighters? Did yaw-yan sent their very best to Thailand's very best or very worst fighters? Even American kickboxing legend Benny Urquidez did that. He went to Thailand and fought against an ageing Muay Thai fighter. He of course won but where is the glory in fighting an overmatched opponent.

I am not sure whether i am correct,have seen a picture in Emilana Zapata website ,he fighting with a Thaiboxer in a philippine stadium,think it's written he is one of the good thai fighter and Zapata won that match.

Recently i have seen some posts in other forums ,realting Yaw-Yan to Muay thai boran or Ling Lom.What you all think about it.

Can you give your comments please.

If you are intereseted ,i will post the links of those forum.One guy even said he has seen a clip about this.anyway he hadnt post that clip.

Thanks

Taft/Malate area? Wow... sorry, I don't know anyone who teaches ARNIS in that area. Kung fu teachers, yes. That's close enough to China Town. But most of the guys I know teaching Arnis are in the QC Area. Hmmm... there is one guy, he's a Prof at UP and he frequents Squadron Shop in Binondo to study Ben Kiam style Go Cho (Five Ancestor Fist) with Alex Co, owner of Squadron (another friend). Bot is one of the 5 Main Students of the late Master Lema of the Lema-Lightning Arnis style. His name is Prof. BOT HOKANO. An old friend. If you're interested, PM me so I can give you his cellphone number. Will have to confirm with him first his schedule, & permission.

Smart-ass is right, there's a good discussion on FMA also on this same Board. I've read through it & its pretty good.

how about yaw-yan?? kung-fu?? what kind of kung-fu??

hello po...ano pa yung ibang martial arts?kasi gus2 ko tlagang matuto eh..pang self defense lang..kaso ndi kaya magka lasug lasog ang katawan ko pag ako nag enroll sa ganyan???

You might wanna try Krav-maga it's not martial arts it's a defense system..just recently an authenticated krav-maga team openned up a class here in the phils. : )

ALWAYS EXPECT TO GET BRUISED, CUT, ETC... when you study any form

of martial art or self-defense system...it would give you a feeling of reality

or a semblance to actual combat which is what most prepare for...Otherwise,

just take up thai bo or aerokickboxing... BAHALA NA IF IT WORK IN A SELF-DEFENSE

SITUATION OR NOT... you can't learn to swim if you don't expect to get wet...

how about yaw-yan?? kung-fu?? what kind of kung-fu??

About Yawyan, nothing I know of in the general vicinity of Taft. At least, nothing original. Maybe Hybrid Yawyan.

About Kung Fu in the Taft/Old Manila area, there's lots of styles. George Ramos has a school right along Taft ave., near La Salle University. The School is Hung Fut. If you're familiar with dit da jow, he's the one who makes it. They use it for their iron shirt, iron palm & iron fist training. Six months of training with George will bring you to the level of being able to smash coconuts (what more a person's head?).

In the Luneta Area, there's Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan. There's also Baguazhang (aka Pakua Chang) right there in the Park. I understand that some members of the Phil. Wu Shu Federation also practice there. The Wu Shu guys practice so many styles, I'd prefer NOT to identify them one by one. Too many to mention.

There's also Ben Kiam Style Go Cho (aka Ngo Cho or 5 Ancestor Fist). Alex Co at Squadron Shop Binondo, is the premiere instructor of Go Cho - Ben Kiam style. This is being taught all over Binondo. Binondo is home to several styles of Go Cho. I forget the name of the other style likewise being taught there.

Near Mapua Highschool - there's the Ling Nam Athletic Association. They teach Yang Style Tai Chi, Tibetan White Crane, Chang Chuan (Northern Fist) & Seven Star Preying Mantis.

Of course, a lot of kung fu instructors teach at the Chang Hai Chek (tama ba spelling?) School. Its a Chinese school so its but natural that they would offer classes to students there.

Binondo's most expensive & high regarded master is David Chan. He teaches Hsin I Liu Ho Pa Fa (Six Harmonies, Eight Methods)... one of the rarest & powerful Internal martial arts of China. He lives & teaches right there in Binondo.

Binondo is also home of the Philippine Wu Shu Federation. Enough said about that.

Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan is also taught in Binondo. I've no idea of the name of the teacher or the location tho. I do know its extremely difficult to enter the group.

Going back to Quezon City, nearing the border of Sta. Mesa - lives Vincent Borromeo. Vince teaches Choy Li Fut, and a bit of Yang Style Tai Chi.

I'm pretty sure I've missed out on a good number of kungfu styles in the Manila area. This is what I can remember off the top of my head.

regards to all

Can you please explain ,how the power in yawyan kicks is produced.Read like Yaw-Yan has kicks has power of muaythai kicks and speed like taekwondo kicks and Yaw-Yan kicks are faster athan Muaythai.What you think about it.

Like I said in my previous post, yaw-yan kicks are chambered. Power is generated by the muscles of the hamstring and by the twisting of the hips. Where as MT kicks are done dead legged style, no chambering. Much of the power is from the hips and the push step technique. This involves slightly lifting the kicking foot off the ground, then driving it into the floor and using the force to help put momentum into the kick. Watch K1 matches, specially Buakaw Por Pramuk, he does this to derive power.

Both YY and MT kicks can be fast. Speed is a difficult concept to measure. Do you mean speed as in the shortest time from initiating a kick to landing a kick (hitting a punching bag) or speed as in the number of kicks you can execute in a specified period of time or speed as in your opponent not seeing you execute a kick until its too late (speed in hitting a punching bag is different from speed in hitting a moving opponent who could hit back)?

It's very hard to describe the differences between the kicks of MT, YY and TKD without demonstrating it. But as for me, I prefer to kick muay thai style. I'm not saying that because its the most devastating, fastest and powerful kick in the world. I just prefer it over the other styles and because I idolize Buakaw.

I am not sure whether i am correct,have seen a picture in Emilana Zapata website ,he fighting with a Thaiboxer in a philippine stadium,think it's written he is one of the good thai fighter and Zapata won that match.

Yes, I know that match. In fact, that is not the only thai fighter whom Sir Zapata defeated. Perhaps indeed that thai figher is good but is he the top notch fighter of his time and is he on his prime? And why did Sir Zapata stopped at that. Why didn't he proceed all the way and become a world champion? No disrespect to Sir Zapata, he is my instructor and he's a very good one. But my point is the problem with Filipinos is that when become good at something, we aim to revel at it and stop improving. Some YY did beat the thais, but are these the top MT fighters? Who are the top Thai fighters beating? They bet the dutch, the americans, the japanese, the russians, etc. That's why MT has Buakaw and Kaoklai reigning over international competitions such as K1.

ou are right , i have seen all the Yaw-Yan Ardigma Makati matches in google video and youtube ,but havnt seen these kicks.

have some videos of old matches(2002) ,i think it's yaw-yan to yaw-yan matches.In my opinion , they are wild matches ,even they are using knees and elbows to the ground showing some pure yaw-yan spirit.

And for good reason, unorthodox kicks, aside from being telegraphic and taking too long to execute, use a lot of energy when doing it. Try doing 20 successive scorpion kick or turning long kicks and 20 successive roundhouse kicks. And tell me which will make you tire faster. In a match of 4 rounds, you need to conserve your energy. Second, unorthodox kicks normally puts you in an awkward position after executing it, specially when you miss or your opponent has evaded your unorthodox kick. In a roundhouse or push kick (teep in muay thai) if you miss, you still have your guard on.

Incidentally, I was asked to compete in the last Fighting Challenge organized by yaw-yan (I will represent yaw-yan ardigma) but have to beg off due to work schedule and an earlier commitment to fight in an amateur boxing match.

I haven't seen that post about YY and Muay Boran so I can't make a comment.

hello po...ano pa yung ibang martial arts?kasi gus2 ko tlagang matuto eh..pang self defense lang..kaso ndi kaya magka lasug lasog ang katawan ko pag ako nag enroll sa ganyan???

You can try Brazilian Jujitsu. It's ideal for women because it doesn't focus on power and your size. And it doesn't hurt as much as MT, YY or judo. Moreover, BJJ teaches you how to escape, submit or break the limb of people who are mounted on you.

...gusto ko sana teakwondo or Aikido,, kaso matanda na ako.

OK LANG SIR, WE ARE PRACTISING YAWYAN KASAMA SI ESME SA MAKATI ARDIGMA EVERY SAT 10-12 AM

AM 40'S NA.....EXERCISE AT THE SAME TIME SELF DEFENSE

INGGIT AKO SA MGA ANAK KO .... VARSITY NG TAEKWONDO SA UST

TRY MO MUNA SIR BAKA KAYA PA, KINAUSAP KO TRAINER KO NA WAG MASYADO TRAINING KASI BAKA MAHIRAPAN KAMI

OK NAMAN

caution when learning brazilian Jujitsu....most techniques are for sports combat..

As what my brazilian jujitsu instructor told me....be careful of groin grabs, pinches

eye gourges, etc. things that are illegal in UFC... but not in the street...STILL BRAZILIAN

JUJITSU IS ONE OF THE BEST GROUND FIGHTING ARTS AROUND...JUST HAVE TO MODIFY

CERTAIN TECHNIQUES FOR THE STREET..

DO NOT HAVE THE FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY THAT A WOMAN CAN STAND TOE TO TOE WITH

A MAN... NO MATTER HOW WELL TRAIN SHE IS...THE BEST TACTIC FOR HER IS TO STUN AND

ESCAPE...AVOID GRAPPLING...SHE CAN ONLY RESTRAINT HIM FOR SO LONG....STAMINA AND POWER

WOULD TURN THE TIDE IN HIS FAVOR...IF POSSIBLE, BREAK THE BONE THEN RUN!!!

caution when learning brazilian Jujitsu....most techniques are for sports combat..

As what my brazilian jujitsu instructor told me....be careful of groin grabs, pinches

eye gourges, etc. things that are illegal in UFC... but not in the street...STILL BRAZILIAN

JUJITSU IS ONE OF THE BEST GROUND FIGHTING ARTS AROUND...JUST HAVE TO MODIFY

CERTAIN TECHNIQUES FOR THE STREET..

DO NOT HAVE THE FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY THAT A WOMAN CAN STAND TOE TO TOE WITH

A MAN... NO MATTER HOW WELL TRAIN SHE IS...THE BEST TACTIC FOR HER IS TO STUN AND

ESCAPE...AVOID GRAPPLING...SHE CAN ONLY RESTRAINT HIM FOR SO LONG....STAMINA AND POWER

WOULD TURN THE TIDE IN HIS FAVOR...IF POSSIBLE, BREAK THE BONE THEN RUN!!!

Actually, that goes for all martial arts. The best self defense, in my opinion, is avoidance. Only when its inevitable should someone stand his/her ground and fight in the street. Don't go around the streets thinking that with your several years of training in various martial arts would make you invincible.

Actually, every individual's martial art should be appropriate to his/her own strengths & weaknesses. In Chinese martial arts - they even go so far as to match a style based on your personality & preferences. A young playful individual is likely to benefit from the "monkey" forms, while big brutish guys are likely to get "tiger", "bear" or similar forms. Certainly a 80 lbs girl will not benefit from playing Judo, while a 240 lbs man (like me) would benefit from this. Neither will JKD work for someone who is 240 lbs or bigger. No way a big guy is going to be fast enough - to play the flicking game at the middle distance. But something like Hsing I chuan would definitely be beneficial to a big guy. The bottomline here is that every individual should select a style which best suits his body type & personal preferences. There's no way a generic martial art will be good for each & every person.