marketmover,

from which stock/s did u earn your million bucks? are you still trading at present? given the prevailing market volatility (or shall we say bearish outlook), are you still on the winning side?

I made quite a bit on the mining issues back when the mining run was starting. I made some money on apex, geo and mic. I still trade but have reduced the volume substantially after the August 1, 2007 selloff and am currently more focused on the longer term (for my personal portfolio at least)

I have a small trading fund (which i am handling for other people) which is about 1% in the green YTD.

my current long term portfolio however has taken a hit of around 8-9% YTD.

market,

having earned that million bucks, malaki rin siguro pinuhunan mo? swerte mo, puro bull run pa yong time na yon. ngayon, delubyo na ang inaabot ng stock market. lagi sinasabi ng taga-gobyerno gumaganda daw takbo ng stock market, i wonder kung nasubukan nilang magtrade sa stock market..at matalo.

anong tip mong stock na kayang sagupain itong delubyo at nakatayo pa?

market,

having earned that million bucks, malaki rin siguro pinuhunan mo? swerte mo, puro bull run pa yong time na yon. ngayon, delubyo na ang inaabot ng stock market. lagi sinasabi ng taga-gobyerno gumaganda daw takbo ng stock market, i wonder kung nasubukan nilang magtrade sa stock market..at matalo.

anong tip mong stock na kayang sagupain itong delubyo at nakatayo pa?

was able to use citisec's margin facility during the bull run so didn't really utilize that much capital to make money.

as for the current market, i really can't recommend any stock at the moment kasi sure malulugi lang in the short term.

boss google, looks like you are an expert on this. i recently opened an account for stocks at bpi trade but was holding back on buying stocks coz' m not sure what to buy. i was planning to buy from ayala companies ie globe telecoms, ayala land, etc. and just the other day ROX was inviting for a 33 pesos per share. can u give some advice on stocks to buy, and whats an IPO?

nope, i am not an expert, experience only. and besides, i have a financial adviser who is a close friend. and i kinda listen to my guts if i buy and sell.

well, since i am writing this today, the stock market really went down yesterday, and it kinda pulled even some balanced UITFs. but as they say, buy low.. so i think this is the best day to buy.

IPO means initial public offering, or if you would plainly say it, its the first day of company to offer their stocks to the public. these are only done if the company is not previously listed. normally what happens is they sell low, but during the course of the week after listing, nagtataas ang value. but that was then, i really don't know if it is really applicable now. probably, it still is, but it would depend on the company to be listed.

now is a good time to buy while the market is still relatively down. this goes the same for mutual funds that are heavily invested in equities/stocks.

You better not be. Just be careful in investing stocks on a relatively low price because it will get lower and your stock will loose its value to penny stock or nil.

Guest lustfortravel
You better not be. Just be careful in investing stocks on a relatively low price because it will get lower and your stock will loose its value to penny stock or nil.

not necessarily. it would depend on the type of stock you bought. if you bought speculative stocks, then probably you will get stuck with it as the prices go down further.

that is why it is always important to check the fundamentals of the stock- there are some very good stocks whose current price is lower than their actual value.

not necessarily. it would depend on the type of stock you bought. if you bought speculative stocks, then probably you will get stuck with it as the prices go down further.

that is why it is always important to check the fundamentals of the stock- there are some very good stocks whose current price is lower than their actual value.

I totally agree. With the recent selloff of the blue chips, one can actually find pretty good bargains at current prices.

i agree with lustfortravel. remember, if you are investing, you're not in this thing for the short term. companies with solid fundamentals should pay off handsomely over time after the market recovers from its current bearish trend.

however, if you have some extra cash and you want to speculate, i think you can throw fundamentals out of the window and just watch out for the technical signals. it's going to be hard though because you need to be keeping at least one eye on the market all the time!

Guest lustfortravel
i agree with lustfortravel. remember, if you are investing, you're not in this thing for the short term. companies with solid fundamentals should pay off handsomely over time after the market recovers from its current bearish trend.

however, if you have some extra cash and you want to speculate, i think you can throw fundamentals out of the window and just watch out for the technical signals. it's going to be hard though because you need to be keeping at least one eye on the market all the time!

which is why i stick to the fundamentals since i don't think i have the stomach to watch the fluctuations in the market! :lol:

if you correctly interpret the technical signals, then there can be money made in the fluctuations . but again, it's not for the fainthearted. :)

even during bear markets i believe that fundamentally sound companies pay off handsomely in terms of dividends plus the added benefit of picking up more shares at a lower price (using those dividends).

Guest River

market is quite difficult to interpret these past few weeks. trading is almost purely speculative. there are plenty of stocks with good fundamentals however they remained to be oversold. and i continue to see them in the red.

i made a bet last week with bpc and mbt. where it will go...hehe...i have no freaking idea...hopefully up.

well times like this i may just have to listen to the experts.

calling tsupitero. :D

Guest lustfortravel
anybody care to comment on long term (10-15 year) potential of blue chip Philippine stocks? Do you guys think a value approach or buy and hold approach would be applicable for Philippine stocks?

if you stick with the blue chips that regularly pay dividends, yes. of course, you also need to factor in inflation rate and the time value of money.

again, it will depend on your personal goals - are you willing to wait for 10-15 years for pay-offs rather than cash in on the fluctuations on the short term? will it be worth the wait? different strokes for different folks. :)

if you stick with the blue chips that regularly pay dividends, yes. of course, you also need to factor in inflation rate and the time value of money.

again, it will depend on your personal goals - are you willing to wait for 10-15 years for pay-offs rather than cash in on the fluctuations on the short term? will it be worth the wait? different strokes for different folks. :)

you know... i never did understand all this stuff in the stock market... still seems to me like betting on horse races...

stock or Equity is always a investment for me , there is short and long term for me the long term will be the blue chip and short term is the speculative stock . is still better than saving it on a bank or time deposit but that is only for me. since there is time i loose money also on stock

Megaworld Properties looks promising compared to ALI! Even if I am selling ALI properties as a Realtor and at the same time stock investor.

Also, The TELCOs or Telecom companies like PILTEL and PLDT look good.

Edited by RealEstateMan

Hanggang saan ang maximum Niya? example 6.00 pesos ang pinakamataas or pinakalimit niya. hanggang 6 pesos ka na lang tapos. ibenta mo yung iba! tapos yung iba remain sa company nayan. at least kung malugi naka bili ka iba shares that looks promising sa ibang companies!

I am currently Reading RULE #1 by Phil Town -

http://philtown.typepad.com/phil_towns_blog/images/2007/08/10/rule1cover_2.jpg

This book is useful - dami lang pang-American setting na example not applicable to Philippines.

boys, ano tingin nyo sa atn? gusto ko na benta ito. kuha ko dito 3.95, ngayon pumapalo na 5.40s
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
at 3000 shares that you got for Php 8.50, you've shelled out Php 25,500 for that.

at current value for Php 11.50/share, its value is now Php 34,500.00.

my questions, how long have you've been holding that? have you received dividends already, which in effect, increases that value of Php 34,500?

if you want to hold it pa, you may still. probably in the future, it may still rise up. but if you are not lucky, it may go down.

ang basics ng stock market is to buy low and sell high. basically, you've already earned money from that so you may either keep it or sell it now dahil nag earn ka na. and use the money to buy something other stocks because the market is now low.

the initial price for existing stocks is the close value from the previous trading day. dun ka pwedeng mag start. or wait for IPOs. IPOs are usually the best bet because sometimes (again, depending on the market demand), the values of stocks double up a day after listing. Dyan ako kumita dati, nung kapanahunan ng PETRON and Jollibee, where i usually wait for IPOs and release it after a week. I earned double already. Pero i guess, it may not work now, pero depende pa din sa company. Ang inaabangan kong mag IPO ngayon is yung SHELL, pero mukhang postponed.

You would really need a broker, dahil sila ang nagbebenta ng hawak mo. Hindi ka naman pwedeng dumerecho sa PSE at magbenta sa trading floor.

can you please pm me sir when SHELL declares its IPO? thanks!

Edited by best_X_girlfriend