Supplements - to Take or Not to Take?

Before you purchase a supplement, you might want to research unbiased reviews from users on the net. I often visit www.supplementjudge.com / www.supplementcritic.com :) You may actually see people who curse the products and guage for yourself if it will work for you or not.

Simple carbs are basically simple sugars readily absorbed by the body. Wheat on the contrary, is complex carbs since it has to be digested further and broken down before it turns into sugar. Sample of simple carbs are dextrose, glucose and fructose. Most of these are basically the main ingredient of replenishment drinks like Gatorade. After we workout, glycogen (blood sugar stored in the muscles for energy) levels in the muscles are very low and thus the best choice of carbs after working out together with your protein supplement, are simple carbs. And since these sugars are quickly absorbed there's an anticipated insuline spike in your blood that will aid better absorbtion of the protein ingested. This is the best time to take carbs since you need not worry of the sugar converting to fat. Most of the simple carbs ingested after workout only replenishes used up glycogen in the muscles. Making it full and hydrated as well. Wheat bread is a good carb source to replace rice because it's harder to digest and high in fiber that aids colon cleansing. Wheat bread would be a better choice for meals. For post workout I suggest a bottle or 2 of Gatorade with a scoop or 2 of whey. I really don't suggest whey replacing a real meal though because it's not calorie dense. Hope this helps.

tnx! so a piece of banana will do as my source of simple carbs after work out? tnx! about the gatorade, if i choose this as my source of carb after work out, can i use it instead of water in making my whey drink? tnx! is it ok if i use minimal amount of water in making my whey drink? i mean i dont follow the required water amount in mixing..will it affect the effectivity of the whey? tnx

tnx! so a piece of banana will do as my source of simple carbs after work out? tnx! about the gatorade, if i choose this as my source of carb after work out, can i use it instead of water in making my whey drink? tnx! is it ok if i use minimal amount of water in making my whey drink? i mean i dont follow the required water amount in mixing..will it affect the effectivity of the whey? tnx

I'd say gatorade would be a better choice than a banana since the banana still has to be digested. I don't think there would be a problem when mixing whey and gatorade. The question is would you stomach the mix of the "bizarre" flavor? :lol: Happy lifting.

Bananas have fructose and if I remember correctly, this simple sugar is not exactly the type of carb you should even consider post-workout. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) I used to mix my whey with honey though I don't think it's a normal practice as well. :D Peace.

Edited by massmonster
Bananas have fructose and if I remember correctly, this simple sugar is not exactly the type of carb you should even consider post-workout. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) I used to mix my whey with honey though I don't think it's a normal practice as well. :D Peace.

it has been a staple postworkout snack, since all your body resources are already on the low, this would help bring it to balance without the negative side effects, just as long as you get a balanced meal within 2 hours of after your workout

I'd say gatorade would be a better choice than a banana since the banana still has to be digested. I don't think there would be a problem when mixing whey and gatorade. The question is would you stomach the mix of the "bizarre" flavor? :lol: Happy lifting.

tnx! about the proportio of gatorade? no required proportion in mixing it with 2 scoops of whey?

Dextrose powder is available in mercury drug stores. However, in my opinion, it would be very inconvinient to actually get a precise measurement since we would only estimate how many grams we'd get in a teaspoon. That is why I recommend taking Gatorade or other sports drink instead. One bottle has approximately 30 grams of carbs in the form of dextrose/sucrose. My approach personal choice would be a 1:1 or 1:1.5 ratio of protein to carbs. Thus, one scoop of whey with one bottle of Gatorade. Some people go for 1:2. In the off seson I double this.

is it ok if the ratio of gatorade to whey protein is 1 botle: 2 scoops? tnx.. on normal drinking of whey protein, i mix 1 scoop to 1 cup water..

I don't think there is a safe answer to your question. It really depends on you. You may want to esperimant what goes well. For me, right now I'm in my cutting phase so I'm kinda conservative on the carb side and limit myself to one bottle on days I even use 2 scoops of whey.

Before you purchase a supplement, you might want to research unbiased reviews from users on the net. I often visit www.supplementjudge.com / www.supplementcritic.com :) You may actually see people who curse the products and guage for yourself if it will work for you or not.

HI!! I enroled in a gym 3 weeks ago and I am planning to buy a supplement for muscle growth.

The brand im lookin at is "Six-star creatine muscle builder". Just want to know if that's ok?? Thanx !

HI!! I enroled in a gym 3 weeks ago and I am planning to buy a supplement for muscle growth.

The brand im lookin at is "Six-star creatine muscle builder". Just want to know if that's ok?? Thanx !

get your eating habits in check first before taking in any supplements

Sativus my friend, you may want to backread a little bit because we don't really recommend the use of supplements when you are relatively new in weight training. You may want to share with us your current diet and we can start by improving on that.

hydroxycut or xenadrine?

I heard hydroxycut isn't as good as it used to

which one should I go for?

Both are reputable brands but still, they wont work as intended if you don't work as you should. If you saw ads of these supplements and was awed with the before and after photos, I suggest that you get a magnifying lens and go through the advertisment again. In fine fonts you'd normally miss you'll read the following: The following subjects who took the supplement underwent monitored diet and excercise routines. Results are not typical.

Both are reputable brands but still, they wont work as intended if you don't work as you should. If you saw ads of these supplements and was awed with the before and after photos, I suggest that you get a magnifying lens and go through the advertisment again. In fine fonts you'd normally miss you'll read the following: The following subjects who took the supplement underwent monitored diet and excercise routines. Results are not typical.

I agree. It's impossible to get lean just by taking supplements alone. I think strict diet and intense workouts are still the best way to go.

I took hydroxycut, it made me feel hyped up for work out, I guess that's the claim that it gives you energy to move. I did see improvements but nothing as drastic as the ads. But then of course, I was lifting more, moving more. I feel like hindi maubos energy ko.

Edited by Dan.