Supplements - to Take or Not to Take?

i am someone hu used to take different supplements, used diff whey pwder's for my protein(methoxypro,optimum100%,nitro tech,weider's,gr8"..) creatine (cell tech) fatburners(hydroxycut, hydronyt, xenadrine)... i was pretty much a sucker for them...

10lbs of 100% whey would last me about 1 and a half month.. 7lbs of cell tech would barely last me a month... hayy those wer the days.. until i had a talk with our personal family doctor... its not advisable daw for me to take them kahit in moderation kc my dad already had a kidney problem,i think tinanggal ung isa nya kidney.. anyway sb it might be hereditary daw.. so un.. in shrt tinakot ako and natakot naman ako... my dad's cut is from the leftside of his spine till almost half of his front extremity :(

hehe now... coffee before workouts tapos eggwhitess after, i just take as much beef nlng as i can.. steaks and chickn mostly (lean) for my protein and creatine :P

i am someone hu used to take different supplements, used diff whey pwder's for my protein(methoxypro,optimum100%,nitro tech,weider's,gr8"..) creatine (cell tech) fatburners(hydroxycut, hydronyt, xenadrine)... i was pretty much a sucker for them...

10lbs of 100% whey would last me about 1 and a half month.. 7lbs of cell tech would barely last me a month... hayy those wer the days.. until i had a talk with our personal family doctor... its not advisable daw for me to take them kahit in moderation kc my dad already had a kidney problem,i think tinanggal ung isa nya kidney.. anyway sb it might be hereditary daw.. so un.. in shrt tinakot ako and natakot naman ako... my dad's cut is from the leftside of his spine till almost half of his front extremity :(

hehe now... coffee before workouts tapos eggwhitess after, i just take as much beef nlng as i can.. steaks and chickn mostly (lean) for my protein and creatine :P

you should have your kidney enzymes tested so you know if you actually are predisposed to kidney problems. If you aren't then you should go ahead and take whey.

Lonee, I may not be a doctor but here's my opinion regarding that matter. There's often a misconception that a diet high in protein actually is not kidney friendly. Partially it may be true but not because protein is the culprit. When we adopt a high protein diet, it is assumed that we'd lower the proportion allocated to carbohydrate intake and that I think is where the problem begins. Carbs basically are sugars with the hydrogen molecule attached to it. In lay man's term, it basically has the properties of retaining water in the body. Cut the carbs, and your body will naturally shed off some water stored in your body. This is one reason why some people drop a lot of weight when they adopt a high protein diet. In the initial stage, the abrupt drop in weight is really water weight.

What I'm trying to say here is that it's really important to keep yourself hydrated by drinking a lot of water to promote healthy endocrine functions of the kidney. In my opinion, you can continue with whey protein supplements in as much as you continue taking it from other sources like eggs, beef and etc. Now, with regards to promoting hydration in your body, I suggest you abstain from thermogenic/stimulant based supplements like fat burners or even coffee because they are diuretics in nature.

Lastly, you might want to have your urine examined once in a while just to ensure that your kidneys are functioning properly. Have your creatinine and protein levels in the urine monitored just for peace of mind. Hope this helps. :hypocritesmiley:

Sativus my friend, you may want to backread a little bit because we don't really recommend the use of supplements when you are relatively new in weight training. You may want to share with us your current diet and we can start by improving on that.

hi! I dont have a specific diet plan, my current diet is just to have a 3 meals and 1 cup of rice or less a day but I've read the past postings about protein, carbs, and calories and I will try to incorporate them. I started working out last July 2006 for three months and never used a supplement, medyo naging firm lang mga muscles ko parang na over train kasi everyday 1muscle a day plus 1hr cardio workout ginawa ko for 6 days then 1 day rest lang. but when I moved here in canada last Oct 2006 dna ko nag gym. I started working out March and it will be my 4th week now. 5'8 ako 184lbs. na ko na gain ako 19lbs since las Nov. dnaman ako mataba medyo malaki lang tyan kasi I was a beer drinker dyan Pinas pero I am working on it now...back to my question 'what supplements is adviseable to take' thanx a lot .... :mtc:

thanks for the advices guys.. but i think id rather play it safe, no hassle of checking what not.. just eat my basic food groups but i really do appreciate it..

*heres one wer i need yall help,, iv recently been involved in a n accident wherein i ended up having a laceration on my right wrist(pulso) it's really no that long barely an inch and a half,thing is, its so deep they had to do couple of stitches just to patch it up.. frist week i could barely move it, now its pretty alright as long as no pressure

i cant work out cause of this,, im dyng just running my ass off everyday at the gym.. ic ouldnt evendo my muay thai training... and iv got almost a month to get ready for a beach outing that's las a week.. i need help

what can yall suggest that may help my situaton?

protein for repair of the muscle tissue and the nerves or whatver

creatine? glutamine? do you guys think it would help?

thanks for the advices guys.. but i think id rather play it safe, no hassle of checking what not.. just eat my basic food groups but i really do appreciate it..

*heres one wer i need yall help,, iv recently been involved in a n accident wherein i ended up having a laceration on my right wrist(pulso) it's really no that long barely an inch and a half,thing is, its so deep they had to do couple of stitches just to patch it up.. frist week i could barely move it, now its pretty alright as long as no pressure

i cant work out cause of this,, im dyng just running my ass off everyday at the gym.. ic ouldnt evendo my muay thai training... and iv got almost a month to get ready for a beach outing that's las a week.. i need help

what can yall suggest that may help my situaton?

protein for repair of the muscle tissue and the nerves or whatver

creatine? glutamine? do you guys think it would help?

guys, i'm taking creatine capsules (GNC) before working out, is it safe for a hypertensive person like me?

i'm taking medications for my hypertension (durabeta and nelapine to lower my blood pressure, and cholestad and lipigem for cholesterol).

So far I've not experience any side effects since I started taking it 3weeks ago.

guys, i'm taking creatine capsules (GNC) before working out, is it safe for a hypertensive person like me?

i'm taking medications for my hypertension (durabeta and nelapine to lower my blood pressure, and cholestad and lipigem for cholesterol).

So far I've not experience any side effects since I started taking it 3weeks ago.

yeah, you're ok man, don't worry about the creatine.

also, it's best to take your creatine post workout with your protein shake...

It's too bad Dan Duchaine died years ago--only learned that now. :blink: I have Muscle Media 2000 (only one issue, bought back in the U.S. way back in 1998 or so), and read his Q&A portion there, as well as his Rant article. MM2K I think is the only magazine AFAIK that discussed steroids and other such substances out in the open, and was often condescending at the bodybuilding industry for not be upfront on the use of steroids, especially for those who are pro.

yeah, you're ok man, don't worry about the creatine.

also, it's best to take your creatine post workout with your protein shake...

I agree :cool: On a personal note, I'd say next time go for the powdered creatine form and mix it with your protein shake.

I agree :cool: On a personal note, I'd say next time go for the powdered creatine form and mix it with your protein shake.

I bought the capsule form because it's very convenient to take since my work requires me to go out of the office so often.

Thanks guys, for the reply.

guys, pang anu po ang creatine? btw, how much amount of carbo should i take in a day to build/develop muscles? for a body wt of around 185lb..tnx.. and also i just want to maintain my wt or lower it pa..gsto k lang help for muscular definition of my body..tnx.mga konting cuts..tnx

Edited by mr. john
for those who are taking steriods, and wants to stop.. don't discontinue abruptly. tappering the dosage is a must to avoid more serious complications.. :)

Hi rebel_biatch. I'm surprised to see a woman participating on this thread. Nevertheless, I just want to share that mayroon tayong tinatawag na PCT (post cycle theraphy) for steroid users. This aids to stimulate the endocrine functions of the body to regulate and promote natural testosterone production again after intaking synthetic hormones. :rolleyes:

guys, pang anu po ang creatine? btw, how much amount of carbo should i take in a day to build/develop muscles? for a body wt of around 185lb..tnx.. and also i just want to maintain my wt or lower it pa..gsto k lang help for muscular definition of my body..tnx.mga konting cuts..tnx

Creatine is a combination of three different amino acids, glycine, arginine, and methionine. It helps regenerate ATP in skeletal muscle.

This is a bit long winded but you should comprehend exactly what creatine does after this explanation. After creatine enters the body (or after it is produced by the body) it firsts binds with a phosphate molecule to form Creatine phosphate. Now here is where I'm going to lay a bit of biochemistry on you so I'll do my best to keep it simple. ATP (Adenine Tri-Phosphate) IS the body's energy source. When your body oxidizes carbs, protein, or fat it is doing this process in order to produce ATP. ATP is responsible for driving almost every body process there is. Hell ATP is even involved in creating ATP. ATP works like this... Energy is needed to drive bodily process. ATP provides this energy by hydrolyzing a phosphate group.

When a phosphate group is hydrolyzed, energy in the form of heat is given off and this energy is used to drive whatever process is being performed, for example muscle contraction. Because one phosphate has been lost from the ATP it is now called ADP (adenine Di-phosphate). The reaction is as follows ATP (hydrolysis)=ADP + Energy. Now you have free ADP as a product from the ATP hydrolysis. ADP is pretty much useless in the body unless it is converted back into ATP. Now this is where creatine comes into play. The phosphate bound creatine donates it's phosphate group to the ADP to re-form ATP! I assume you see where this is going now. By allowing you to return ADP to ATP creatine will increase your ATP stores, thus allowing you to train harder and longer.Creatine is a combination of three different amino acids, glycine, arginine, and methionine.

Another benefit of creatine is that creatine itself is a fuel source. In fact your body's first choice of energy when performing anaerobic activity (such as weightlifting) is your creatine phosphate stores. By supplementing with creatine phosphate you will increase these stores, thus giving you more energy for your workouts. There is another anabolic property that creatine holds and this is it's ability to hydrate muscle cells.1 When muscle cells are hydrated a few things happen. The most notable being an increase in protein synthesis.

The second being an increase of ions into the cell. Since the cell is holding more water, it can also hold more ions since the ions will follow water into the cell in order to keep the concentration the same. When more ions are present in muscle cells (the most important being nitrogen) muscle protein synthesis also increases.

as far as how many carbs...a good place to start is 40% of your daily calories, but that's just a marker. You should adjust it according to what you notice and feel.

Creatine is a substance that primarily aids in replenishing ATP production in the muscles. In other words, promotes strength increase which can equate to heavier weights and more reps in the gym. However, if you want to maintain your weight or lower it down, I really don't think creatine would be a good arsenal in your supplement regime. You might want to consider a diet higher in protein.

thanks for your info.

so un creatine will not produce muscle but instead it will just make your muscles stronger para makapag buhat ka ng mas mabigat at at mas matagal than the usual.

tama ba?

dapat ba kahit na off days mo, mag take ka pa din ng creatine???

tsaka what other supplements you recommend na makapag define ng muscles? un na banggit na hydroxycut sa previous post ganun ba ang purpose???

thanks for your info.

so un creatine will not produce muscle but instead it will just make your muscles stronger para makapag buhat ka ng mas mabigat at at mas matagal than the usual.

tama ba?

dapat ba kahit na off days mo, mag take ka pa din ng creatine???

tsaka what other supplements you recommend na makapag define ng muscles? un na banggit na hydroxycut sa previous post ganun ba ang purpose???

well, nothing directly produces muscle. Creatine will help you recruit more muscle because you'll be able to lift more/heavier. Yes take 5g on off days anytime. Only way to get defined muscle is to lose weight, so yes, Hyrdoxycut can help a little bit. Your diet is the biggest factor. I'd say diet is 80% and training is 20% of the equation.

Just a caution though, I don't think it would be wise to take creatine and fat burners like "hydroxycut" together. Although both acts as ergogens, creatine promotes muscle water storage while the fat burners promote diuresis.

the diuretics in fat burners are very mild, should be fine. I've never had a problem.

Gentlemen, may I request for opinion please.

I've just started trying out this creatine syrum by Muscle Marketing USA. It's the one in small bottles, with a dropper, where you take a few drops before your work out. Anyone tried this before?

My appologies if this has already been posted and addressed and I missed the post. And thanks in advance for any tips.

I've just started trying out this creatine syrum by Muscle Marketing USA. It's the one in small bottles, with a dropper, where you take a few drops before your work out. Anyone tried this before?

My appologies if this has already been posted and addressed and I missed the post. And thanks in advance for any tips.

ive seen this before but i dunno anyone that used this..traditionally its the powdered creatine that are being used..what does it say on the bottle?

oh man, that company is pure bullshit bro, straight shady. Creatine degrades over time in water into it's waste product creatinine which is useless in the body and will simply be excreted. Companies who claim that they have stabilized creatine in a liquid are flat out lying to you. One of these companies known for this type of shady business is Muscle Marketing USA, they had a lab assay done on their liquid creatine and the assay found that it only contained 15% of the creatine on the label claim.