naku!

kinakabahan naman ako dyan hehehe....hwag naman head-of-state at baka ma-depose, impeach, at thrown out ako pag nalasing :lol:

that wont happen bods! bi-cameral system sa amin, kaya lang minority floor leader tayo... guess who is the speaker of the house? :lol:

pare, I know the place because I always see it on my way to Baclaran Church every Wednesday :hypocritesmiley:

At pano mo naman nalaman na may camera dun? :lol:

Ok so White Nights tayo!

I opened my semillon a few weeks back and it tasted kinda funny already. Could be its 1999 vintage had something to do with it. Dunno if you can keep a white for that long....

Ay oo, nga pala lagi ka may Rosario sa Baclaran, pwedeng paluhod, patayo, pahiga!!!! :lol: :lol: Let's schedule the "white night" in a few weeks. I have a few errands to do. I really think the swing in our temperature ruins our wines. No matter how good we try to keep them, we can't help but get a few bad ones in the end

some of you might want to check out Cyrano on C Palanca. Its a quiet little place tucked away right at the end of the street. Cor. Legaspi St. Excellent selection of wine and they have a great cheese platter to go with it.

thanks for the info. we'll surely give this place a try. lipstick has been telling us to go to there. baka may discount pag kasama sya!!!! :P

Bods .... musta na ang buhay buhay! :D

pareng six!!!!! :boo:

what a big surprise hehehe kumusta ka na pare? Are you going to be home soon? :boo:

regards din to ms. Q, ok?

I'm well and fine and good, pare....as you can see pakalat-kalat na lang ako. I stay mostly in this drunkard's thread hehehe...I know you got a lot of sharing too as I know for a fact that you are a cabernet drinker.

cheers! see you again, pare!

that wont happen bods!  bi-cameral system sa amin, kaya lang minority floor leader tayo... guess who is the speaker of the house? :lol:

Ay oo, nga pala lagi ka may Rosario sa Baclaran, pwedeng paluhod, patayo, pahiga!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  Let's schedule the "white night" in a few weeks.  I have a few errands to do.  I really think the swing in our temperature ruins our wines.  No matter how good we try to keep them, we can't help but get a few bad ones in the end

thanks for the info.  we'll surely give this place a try.  lipstick has been telling us to go to there.  baka may discount pag kasama sya!!!! :P

pare don't mention na nga that bicameral at kinakabahan ako sa mga camera na yan :P

hehehe yes pare, kilala ko na yang speaker of the house nyo :lol:

yup medyo busy din ako kaya most likely December na yan - when the white nights will be longer :P

pareng six!!!!! :boo:

what a big surprise hehehe kumusta ka na pare? Are you going to be home soon? :boo:

regards din to ms. Q, ok?

I'm well and fine and good, pare....as you can see pakalat-kalat na lang ako. I stay mostly in this drunkard's thread hehehe...I know you got a lot of sharing too as I know for a fact that you are a cabernet drinker.

cheers! see you again, pare!

I will be in the Philippines by December 18th. Hopefully we can share a bottle or two :evil: This summer I discovered the wonderful world of Rose but since it's getting cooler here I'm going back to my Shiraz. :D

Edited by sixgears
I will be in the Philippines by December 18th.  Hopefully we can share a bottle or two  :evil:  This summer I discovered the wonderful world of Rose but since it's getting cooler here I'm going back to my Shiraz.  :D

wow! :thumbsupsmiley:

hehehe magandang plano yan...I'll be looking forward to it!

maybe also you can get to join our WEB (Wine EB) if we do have one when you're here!

cheers, pare, and is the Cabo Wabo still alive? :lol:

Me? :rolleyes:

Wahahaha ... driveby post lang po .... daming labada sa oficina.  Be back laytah babies! :*

You!!!????? Maybe in a different house you will not only the Speaker, you will be Prime Minister (or is it Ministress? :P ). Labada or Lambada? :boo: Ako inutusan bumili ng suka, red wine vinegar nabili ko!!! :wacko:

pare don't mention na nga that bicameral at kinakabahan ako sa mga camera na yan :P

hehehe yes pare, kilala ko na yang speaker of the house nyo :lol:

yup medyo busy din ako kaya most likely December na yan - when the white nights will be longer :P

I thought you were photogenic... photophobic ka pa... or better yet, as we would say for girs with nice hair... nice hair lang talaga... talikodgenic.... :lol:

December would be quite a long time from now, pare. I might be very thirsty by then. Just in case, you will find a free weeknight, Saturday or Sunday night or any day or night... just let me know!!!!

Funny reading thru it!

But the Grant Burge port is really fantastic! We had the chance to taste the 10 year old or 20 year old last weekend, and they're great!  But the 20 year old is more mellow and smooth.  BTW, how does a port wine earn the name Tawny?  Is it the age, the grapes or the process?  The Grant Burge 20 year old we tried was Tawny, but the 10 year old was not marked tawny.

Too bad the stuff is really expensive to have everyday.

FD, I came across this article and reminded me of your post. Here it is:

Tasting Tawny Port

Challenging to make, wonderful to drink after the meal

By James Suckling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fine, aged tawny remains one of Port's best-kept secrets. Nothing can compare to the intensely concentrated yet delicate flavors of a Port aged for decades in cask. It's little wonder that it's the preferred post-meal drink for most members of the Port trade. A fine old tawny can be so hard to find and is so seldom publicized that it makes you wonder if Port producers actually want us to overlook this category of fortified wine completely. That leaves more for them to consume themselves.

Well-aged tawnies are without a doubt the most difficult Ports to produce and certainly the most costly--especially such rarities as 20-year-old, 30-year-old and older. Compare vintage Port to tawny and you can easily understand the challenge. To produce a vintage, Port shippers select their best lots of wine from a top year and bottle them after two years in cask; they age in the bottle. By comparison, aged tawnies are blends bottled after years of aging in the shippers' cellars, which costs money, and the blends can be extremely complex, using dozens of wines.

"These aged tawnies are definitely the most challenging to make," said Peter Symington, the winemaker for Graham, Dow and Warre. His family owns all three of these shippers as well as Quarles Harris, Gould Campbell and Smith Woodhouse. "What's most important is that they have to be good wines from the beginning. It's my job to find the best wines and later blend them for these tawnies."

Most Port shippers make their blends in one of two ways. Some rely on a modification of the solera system used in making Sherry, casks of blends topped off with younger wines. To produce tawnies, shippers select casks that contain wine with an average age of 10 or 20 years. Their style or age is maintained through tasting and periodically topping up the barrels with old and young wines as part is bottled or lost through evaporation.

The other blending method, which is more difficult, takes several wines from various vintages and incorporates them into a final blend. This may include two or three dozen different wines, similar to the way a Champagne house makes its non-vintage blend.

A tawny designated as a 10-, 20- or 30-year-old is a blend with an average age and does not note the absolute age of the wine. This is similar to what premium Scotch producers do.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what blending method a Port house uses as long as what is bottled is the best quality--and in most cases old tawnies are superlative quality.

In early November Wine Spectator organized a tasting in New York to assess a range of aged tawnies currently available in the United States. We looked at all types of tawnies with 10 years of age or more including vintage-dated tawnies, called colheitas in Portugal.

Overall, we were impressed with the quality of the group. These are clearly some of the great dessert wines of the world, offering an amazing intensity of aroma and flavor as well as fabulous texture. In Portugal, an old tawny traditionally comes after a fine bottle of vintage Port or accompanies desserts such as fruitcake or custard pudding. A lighter, sweeter style than vintage Port, tawny even goes well with chocolate.

In our blind tasting we continually found ourselves using such words as honey, toffee, butterscotch, fruitcake, cedar and nuts to describe these wines --terms which may be used with a vintage Port only after 40 or 50 years of bottle age.

In essence, what a Port shipper does for consumers is mature the wine before it is bottled and sold. Rather than having to wait decades for a Port to mellow in the bottle to reach such a level of polish and finesse, you can simply buy a bottle of aged tawny and enjoy. Granted, the experience is not exactly the same as a well-aged vintage. Great tawnies lack the fresh fruit character and round texture of a superb vintage Port. But the same harmony and class, only achieved through years of maturation, is evident in the glass.

Take, for example, our top wine, Niepoort's 1983 Colheita. We gave it 95 points. The wine seduces you with its fabulous array of floral and dried fruit flavors and a hint of nuts. Medium-bodied and very sweet, it shows great balance and an ultralong aftertaste. The Ramos-Pinto Quinta do Bom-Retiro 20 years old NV is nearly as impressive at 93 points and shows a marvelously complex character of truffles, honey, cedar and tobacco, not to mention its full body and sweetness on the palate. Other tawnies to consider include: Niepoort Tawny Port Colheita 1976 (93), Graham 10 years old NV (91), Niepoort Colheita 1963 (91), Sandeman 20 years old NV (91), Niepoort 20 years old NV (91), Ramos-Pinto 30 years old NV (90) and Ramos-Pinto Colheita 1937 (90). Prices range from $24 a bottle for the Graham 10-year-old to $200 for the '37 Ramos-Pinto.

In general, we were most impressed with tawnies that showed their age yet remained vibrant and sweet. Ports that seemed too fruity or too tannic or astringent were marked down in the tasting. Extreme fruitiness or tannins shouldn't come through in a Port that is supposedly 10 years old or more.

The tawnies of Niepoort and a few others showed what we were looking for. "All our aged tawnies must have the freshness but they must also show their age," said Dirk van der Niepoort, who now runs his family's centuries-old Port house. "You must be careful in your blending. If you are not careful, your wines can appear disjointed, where the old character and young fruit does not balance well."

Although we still gave good scores to wines that seemed slightly too fresh, some people may prefer this style. Some Port shippers such as Taylor Fladgate and Fonseca intentionally make their older tawnies this way. However, most houses have moved away from overly "refreshing" their tawnies with a percentage of young Port to give them a fruitier, slightly drier character.

"About five or six years ago, we had some rather negative publicity on our old tawnies and made an effort to change the style," admitted Symington. "Our wines were on the dry side, so we went for more sweetness. At the end of the day, we are here to provide people what they want to drink, and more and more people seem impressed with sweeter tawnies."

Regardless of the sweetness of the Ports we tasted, we found two themes in our tasting. First, we discovered that it made little sense in most cases to pay a premium for tawnies with more than 20 years of age. In many cases, as with the Niepoort 1983 and Graham 10-year-old, you can get just as much pleasure from a relatively young tawny. Second, we found that colheitas, the vintage tawnies, are underappreciated. These are wonderful fortified wines and should be viewed in the same light as top vintage Ports.

"These have always been some of our very best wines," said Niepoort, who is the first to admit that he takes the most pride in his aged tawnies, even more than his vintage Ports. "In a vintage year, we always made a little less in a vintage Port and put the rest into the colheita as well. This means you are getting some of our very best wines. Otherwise, if you put a second-class wine in a colheita, you're getting a second-class colheita."

For years, some members of the Port trade have tried to eliminate the category altogether; they argued that it confused the consumer. They maintained that when consumers bought a vintage-dated tawny, many did so in the belief that it was a true vintage Port. Luckily, their misguided ideas have not been successful. Colheitas can be wonderful, just like any other well-matured, well-made tawny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top-Scoring Tawny Ports

Wine / Score / Price

NIEPOORT Tawny Port Colheita 1983 95 $34

Absolutely fabulous. One of the best tawnies we've had in a long time. An array of floral, dried fruit and nut character on the nose and palate. Medium in body and extremely smooth. Great balance. Mega-long finish.

NIEPOORT Tawny Port Colheita 1976 93 $60

Extremely intense-flavored tawny showing plum, honey and toffee character. Very sweet and packed with fruit. Rich, full-bodied, complex structure and great finish.

RAMOS-PINTO Tawny Port Quinta do Bom-Retiro 20 years old NV 93 $48

Fabulously complex and wonderful truffle, honey, cedar and tobacco-box character. Medium to full in body, very sweet and a silky, opulent finish. Stunning. 2,000 cases made.

GRAHAM Tawny Port 10 years old NV 91 $24

Complex orange peel, cedar and plum aromas and flavors, medium body and sweetness and crisp, clean finish. Absolutely delicious. Pure honey.

NIEPOORT Tawny Port 20 years old NV 91 $47

Incredibly sweet and unctuous. Medium in body with intense honey, truffle and caramel character and long, long aftertaste. Can't put it down.

NIEPOORT Tawny Port Colheita 1963 91 $160

Thick, rich, complex flavors of honey, molasses and citrus. Full in body, very sweet, long, crisp finish. Extremely well balanced.

SANDEMAN Tawny Port 20 years old NV 91 $42

A very well-aged tawny boasting wonderful honey, almond, nut and orange character. Medium-bodied and very sweet, delicate, silky texture and long, long finish. Tasted twice, with consistent notes.

RAMOS-PINTO Tawny Port 30 years old NV 90 $65

Fabulous finish and plenty of walnut and toffee character. Full-bodied and incredibly sweet, offering a burnt orange, nut flavor. Delicious old wine. 1,000 cases made.

RAMOS-PINTO Tawny Port Colheita 1937 90 $200

Beautifully balanced old tawny boasting caramel, chocolate and nut character, full body and sweetness and long, long finish. Absolutely delicious.

Is the Cabo Wabo triple distilled 100% blue agave?  I remember tasting several good ones - Cabo Wabo, Patron, another with a glass cactus inside the clear bottle.  Great stuff!  But these have to be sipped and savored like wine.  My favorites are Tres Generaciones, Don Julio and Heradura (Anejo).

sixgears should know this as I haven't tasted it yet - padating pa lang :boo:

what I know is that Cabo Wabo is owned by Sammy Hagar - the former vocalist of Van Halen hehehe...

If these have to be sipped like wine, then they are interesting tequilas ...don't like the whole routine of salt-licking and all hehehe.....

You!!!????? Maybe in a different house you will not only the Speaker, you will be Prime Minister (or is it Ministress? :P ).  Labada or Lambada?  :boo:  Ako inutusan bumili ng suka,  red wine vinegar nabili ko!!! :wacko:

I thought you were photogenic... photophobic ka pa... or better yet, as we would say for girs with nice hair... nice hair lang talaga... talikodgenic....  :lol:

December would be quite a long time from now, pare.  I might be very thirsty by then.  Just in case, you will find a free weeknight, Saturday or Sunday night or any day or night... just let me know!!!!

pare photogenic lang ako when I'm holding a wine glass....or so I think :lol:

sure thing, pare ....ikaw din just let me know if you want a drink or two, anywhere :thumbsupsmiley:

OT na tuloy but here goes ... :D

There are 3 kinds of Cabo Wabo Tequila:

1. Blanco - which is not aged at all

2. Reposado - which is aged 3-12 months (this is the most popular to mix)

3. Anejo - which is aged 1-5 years

Anejo is the best for sipping while Reposado is best for slamming! :lol:

Cabo Wabo is 100% blue agave which is grown for 8-12 years. It is then double-distilled to 110 proof using pure spring water and aged in oak barrels. :cool:

Edited by sixgears
OT na tuloy but here goes ...  :D

Anejo is the best for sipping while Reposado is best for slamming!  :lol:

Cabo Wabo is 100% blue agave which is grown for 8-12 years.  It is then double-distilled to 110 proof using pure spring water and aged in oak barrels.  :cool:

pards hindi pa OT yan kasi may nabanggit pang aged in oak barrels eh :P

thanks! that was very informative!

we talk a lot about anything here, not just wines. At some point or another we have touched on cigars, opium, kava, hashish, hookah, qat - some posters have even been looking for Aventinus, a rare beer, so tequila should not be out of line :lol:

cheers!

we talk a lot about anything here, not just wines. At some point or another we have touched on cigars, opium, kava, hashish, hookah, qat - some posters have even been looking for Aventinus, a rare beer, so tequila should not be out of line  :lol:

cheers!

O sige ... Lambanog naman! :lol:

we talk a lot about anything here, not just wines. At some point or another we have touched on cigars, opium, kava, hashish, hookah, qat - some posters have even been looking for Aventinus, a rare beer, so tequila should not be out of line  :lol:

cheers!

O sige ... Lambanog naman!  :lol:

hahaha well....pwede din!

come to think of it, we forgot our native killer drinks - basi, tuba, lambanog :boo:

Hindi ba basta aged, wine na yon? At pagnasobrahan ng tanda at hindi naalagaan, nagiging suka - tulad ng tuba at basi? Mukhang ayaw kong tumikim ng sukang lambanog - 196 proof suka - pwede na ding pang-siga o gawing bio-fuel!

FD, I came across this article and reminded me of your post.  Here it is:

Tasting Tawny Port

Challenging to make, wonderful to drink after the meal

By James Suckling

Fine, aged tawny remains one of Port's best-kept secrets. Nothing can compare to the intensely concentrated yet delicate flavors of a Port aged for decades in cask. It's little wonder that it's the preferred post-meal drink for most members of the Port trade. A fine old tawny can be so hard to find and is so seldom publicized that it makes you wonder if Port producers actually want us to overlook this category of fortified wine completely. That leaves more for them to consume themselves.

<snrrt ,snip>

Great info, Masi! Thanks!

I guess these would be ideal for people who like strong flavors in small sips (like me who cant finish a bottle of wine in one go). Now to look for vintage port!

sixgears should know this as I haven't tasted it yet - padating pa lang :boo:

what I know is that Cabo Wabo is owned by Sammy Hagar - the former vocalist of Van Halen hehehe...

If these have to be sipped like wine, then they are interesting tequilas ...don't like the whole routine of salt-licking and all hehehe.....

So that's why the Cabo Wabo is familiar! A relative from San Diego brought over some a few years ago - it was a reposado.

OT na tuloy but here goes ...  :D

Anejo is the best for sipping while Reposado is best for slamming!  :lol:

Cabo Wabo is 100% blue agave which is grown for 8-12 years.  It is then double-distilled to 110 proof using pure spring water and aged in oak barrels.  :cool:

Thanks sixgears! I prefer Anejo over reposado, but of course, any 100% blue agave is hands down better than the blended stuff.

Great info, Masi!  Thanks!

So that's why the Cabo Wabo is familiar!  A relative from San Diego brought over some a few years ago - it was a reposado.

Thanks sixgears!  I prefer Anejo over reposado, but of course, any 100% blue agave is hands down better than the blended stuff.

I saw pictures of Cabo Wabo in their website and their bottles really look cool, with niftly designs...

can't wait to get my hands on one....

I wonder why nobody is distributing it here...Patron and Herradura is available locally...

I have to be sober to send lurid messages, if ever hehehe....when I'm under the influence, I tend to send senseless messages which masquerade as inspirational :(

ok what's the lineup for the BAd Wine Night?  :wacko:  I remember someone telling me over the weekend na masarap daw pala ang wine...when I asked her what she had, she said Franzia :sick: ..

Franzia in a box :sick:  :sick:  :sick:

Pansin ko lang aside from being terribly sweet when TUI (texting under the influence :lol: ), may bahid ng kasungitan ka. :P

Hmmm may I be excused from drinking bad wine on Bad Wine Night because it's my birthday? :rolleyes:

Belated HBD to Bods and HBD to Lipstick!

Yes, I'm still alive, and ready for any bad wine night.  Specially after trying what's the difference between a fresh bottle of wine and something opened a few days before.  I had to throw out the old ones.  After a day, the wine's still OK.  2 days after opening, loss of aroma, still has flavor.  Day 3 and onwards, still tastes like the wine but more acidic.  After a week, it's ready for the chicharon.  :wacko:

After that experiment, I think I'm ready for that bad wine event!

Not to be sacrilegious or anything, but thoughts of the bad wine night brings up the story of Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding.  Bet we can turn that bad wine into something drinkable. hehehe  :upside:

Thanks FD! Ano nang balita sa secret natin? Didja get a bottle na ba? And how about the bottle you picked up? Didja like it? :)

:thumbsupsmiley: Hi Lipstick, Bods, (kung that's entertainment ito, kayo yung birthday group!!!  oops!  wrong thread ata ako, madalas kasi sa 70s! :blush: ) and Storm.

Sistah Lipstick, it's your birthday!!! Sabi mo sa akin birthday mo nung nag Kikufuji tayo kaya nanlibre ka!!! Birthday mo nanaman!!! Libre ka ulit!!!  :boo:  Alright folks, now that I stirred the pot,  B)  GREAT to have you back on board.  Happy Birthday greetings to you!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Errr di naman 70s yung That's Interment este Entertaining este Entertainment! :lol: 80s yon hah at minsan nung payat pa ako at bata pa at mukhang tao eh nakit ako ni Kuya Dyerms minsan sa Broadway at tinanong ako kung type ko mag Thursday edition. :blink: Eyngggggg. Sana tinanggap ko at aging bomba star na ako siguro now. :lol:

Ako ba nanlibre? :unsure: Sige manlilibre ako ... isang case ng CARLO ROSSI!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley: Mwehehehehehehehehe. Ano na kelan na WEBBIE???? I'll cook my famous prawns!!! :D

thanks for the info.  we'll surely give this place a try.  lipstick has been telling us to go to there.  baka may discount pag kasama sya!!!! :P

Walang discount pero pag pumunta tayo I'll make libre a cheese or assorted niblets platter! :D They have this magic sauce for the niblets which is just ooohhh delightful! :evil:

You!!!????? Maybe in a different house you will not only the Speaker, you will be Prime Minister (or is it Ministress? :P ).  Labada or Lambada?  :boo:  Ako inutusan bumili ng suka,  red wine vinegar nabili ko!!! :wacko:

I thought you were photogenic... photophobic ka pa... or better yet, as we would say for girs with nice hair... nice hair lang talaga... talikodgenic....  :lol:

December would be quite a long time from now, pare.  I might be very thirsty by then.  Just in case, you will find a free weeknight, Saturday or Sunday night or any day or night... just let me know!!!!

In a different house I would be the household help :lol: Or the head of state without a state. Ha ha ha ha. Di ako marunong maglambada but I can salsa a bit ;) Salsa hah hindi salsal. :P

Another term for ttalikodgenic is BACK BEAUTY!!!!! weeheeheehee ... that's me! Ganda ng hair ko (hindi sa kili kili hah) pag nakatalikod ako. Nakaka loko. :lol: