nice thread, very informative!  reading through the last two pages of this thread made miss Melbourne, Australia - about two months ago i was having yellow tail with some friends there.  i think i should let my dad have a taste of yellow tail.  if you guys won't mind (this question may have been asked for the nth time), could you recommend a wine store within or near Ortigas area which sells affordable aussie wines?  bihira kasi akong maligaw sa makati o qc area e.

thanks!

you may want to try the wineshop in Unimart. You wont believe what these guys have on offer. Gran Cru, Rosemount estate show reserve, and a host of other aussie labels. my 1 swizzle comment on the yellow tail -- if its 2003, it's green better hold on to it a few more years so it mellows. but i you prefer to "drink" now, post your notes.

Ohhh i enjoy visiting you guys.... I had fun talking to masi... it was a brief meeting but I hope I didn't scare him....

the pleasure is mine, your highness. sana matuloy na eb ng 36+ at d na ma-cancel, better yet, tie-in 2 ebs where common members post.

Hi MASI  :D  :) 

Just visiting this thread.

any wine sojourns lately?

Daan muna rito bago matulog.

So far, panlasa ko ang aking basehan. Kaya lang mahal daw yung taste ko kasi kadalasan yung type ko ang lasa ay yung mga mamahalin.

Hi storm, glad you're here! We ought to pop up some bubbly on opening night of your show! I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Sliderule  :) ... pakalat-kalat lang ako. I don't kow about the others  :)

I admire the people here Bods..Masi..Spurt...etc, they know so much about wine and you can learn from them. I was lucky to have been at the ALIMENTARIA in Barcelona (the biggest Food and Wine Convention in Europe) in 2001, I even visited several vineyards in Seville and Jerez but i never got to appreciate wine. Woe is me.  :(

See you around.

Good Morning Sir Bods.  :D

same here. not much wine lately but lots of whisky and draft beer and women's bellies! i can't eat pork belly so the former is much better for my lipid profile.

hahaha! I like that - mutineers!

sounds like having lots of fun on the high seas - wine, loot, women, wine, loot :P

I like your presence here, mama mace....this thread won't corrupt you :lol:

hehehe what a pleasant surprise - nuon ka pa namin hinihintay dito!

don't worry we don't drink much here but you'll learn a lot! Wine-wise or otherwise!

cheers and have a nice week, folks!

quick! we need to consume the bounties before any mutiny!!!

hi guys, masi & bods. business mode uli, we're on the season again, sampleas are coming in, got a navarra wines, mostly napa valley wines, got me interested on this grooves street variant, parang ok, did you guys came accross this one. anyway, business mode uli. hehehe tsk, hope i'd see you guys soonest, marami tayong titikman na wines. i know you guys want something else sa tikim tikim na yan. hehehe

hi guys, masi & bods. business mode uli, we're on the season again, sampleas are coming in, got a navarra wines, mostly napa valley wines, got me interested on this grooves street variant, parang ok, did you guys came accross this one. anyway, business mode uli. hehehe  tsk, hope i'd see you guys soonest, marami tayong titikman na wines. i know you guys want something else sa tikim tikim na yan. hehehe

tikim-tikim tulad nung P1500 na blue nun!!!! :evil: :lol:

:P

welcome, pare!

as far as i know, novice din ako - I just like to drink wine and learn a little and whatever little I learn, I try to share here, so there! :P

eagleeyes posted something a while back about how to read labels, though if you can't find it, I'll post something similar, ok?

good morning, too!

ininggit mo pa kami sa byahe mo sa Spain :P May utang pala sa aming kwento yun!

anyway, we all try to learn here - wine is an ever-continuing learning process - the drinking goes even

much longer!

so tell us more about your trip! did the hubby go with you?

The trip was for business. No, hindi kasama si hubby. I am hopeless when it comes to wine and wine appreciation so the Spain experience was more of a Photo - Op..been there thing. Sayang nga. :-)

Masi. thanks for your response/ comment. Got it. Were you going for the jugular? :)

A happy day to all.

Check out Bulletin Today, 14 Sept. page B-8. a Wine Gathering

"Toast 2005: The Wine Festival" 16-17 September at the Rockwell Tent; 28 wineries over 100 wine selections. The Shiraz Challenge on 17 Sept at 3:00pm. P500.

Entrance fee is P250 includes a bag, raffle ticket and wine glass for tasting. Gala Dinner at P3500 for Regular and P5000 for wine makers' table.

seems like a good idea for an eb, what say you winos?

Check out Bulletin Today, 14 Sept. page B-8. a Wine Gathering

"Toast 2005:  The Wine Festival" 16-17 September at the Rockwell Tent; 28 wineries over 100 wine selections.  The Shiraz Challenge on 17 Sept at 3:00pm. P500.

Entrance fee is P250 includes a bag, raffle ticket and wine glass for tasting.  Gala Dinner at P3500 for Regular and P5000 for wine makers' table.

seems like a good idea for an eb, what say you winos?

wow, pareng masi, punta tayo, i have a class on saturday in that area, daan ako siguro after class around 5pm. hope to see you guys.

I was just thinking of posting the same thing masi.... :P

Toast 2005 Wine Festival

September 16-17, 2005

11:00am to 4:00pm

Rockwell Tent

P250 entrance fee (free wine glass, cloth bag and raffle ticket)

For the benefit of The Chosen Children Foundation.

Brought to the public by WineDepot Tel. 893-3335

I read it .... am not connected in any way with the organizers. I just thought your readers might be interested. :blush:

Edited by Macy

I only go to FREE wine tastings, mga pare :P

good luck to you guys - FR ha!

I distinctly remember this wine tasting I went to a few years back at the New World. It was conducted by 9L (come to think of it - is 9L still around?). Anyway, this is the distributor that brings here Hundred Tree Hills, Glenguin, Barramundi, Haselgrove, etc. anyway Australian lahat. The winemakers were all there for their labels happily pouring wine whenever you came around to their tables - white, red, cabernet, merlot, shiraz, anything - as a result of which I got pretty smashed, but not as smashed as my companion - who was the reason I was there - having been invited by her to accompany her to this event hehehe.....There were lectures but I can't remember a damn thing because besides being quite fuzzy, I had to contend with her head which now and then had to rest on my shoulders :evil:

In my pretty advanced inebriated stage, I had to be very respectful - she being a client I supplied wine to hehehe.....I did not want to supply her with anything more that night :blush:

Now, guys, if you attend that Wine Depot thing, I want your FR to be more respectable than my FR above. :lol:

cheers!

Have a smashing weekend ahead!

welcome to the thread, pare! Di ba dun ka din sa UP thread?

There's Wine Depot along Julia Vargas - for Aussie wines I think it's the tops here - a lot of selections from best buys to really expensive ones. The main branch is in Malugay St. , Makati. Although the Julia Vargas branch is smaller, they have the same wines, albeit fewer stocks. (they don't have Yellow Tail, though - different distributor)

cheers!

yup, naliligaw rin ako sa UP thread. thanks for the info bods!

hi, I think you should better go to Future Trade/ Master Brand Store, that's near House of Minis along C5, Bario Ugong Pasig, they've got Southcorp Wines. Or you can go to Wine Depot in Julia Vargas, near citygolf accross Valle verde.

thanks spurt!

you may want to try the wineshop in Unimart.  You wont believe what these guys have on offer.  Gran Cru, Rosemount estate show reserve, and a host of other aussie labels.  my 1 swizzle comment on the yellow tail -- if its 2003, it's green better hold on to it a few more years so it mellows.  but i you prefer to "drink" now, post your notes.

cool! i'll try to drop by tomorrow. i'll try to post some amateurish, novice notes.

happy weekend and happier drinking guys and gals! :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by castlemaine

Ola Winos! :boo: It has been yonkers since I was last here or since I last posted on the board! :unsure:

No, I haven't been admitted to the Betty Ford Clinic .... hahahhaha I don't have THAT kind of money yet! :lol: Nor did I OD on sleeping pills ... although that wouldn't be such a bad story to tell would it? :rolleyes: Just been busy with work and generally very lackadaisical about everything else. It's a difficult time and I wish drowning my anxieties in wine were an option. :lol:

How has everyone been? I've been sober for 10days now and hmmm that must explain the mood swings .... ha ha ha ha. I haven't the drive to backread but I promise to sometime within the year :D Yes all of 4pages :lol:

Masi, hope you have been spending many magical evening with the Mrs. :) Ahhh don't you just love romance? ;)

Bods, and you are pretending to be busy on what? Hehe or should the question be on whom??? :P

FloppyDrive, hehe you would do us a big favor if you told us which restos to avoid! Except for Omakase hah! :lol:

PinoiGhost! Parang tumatabang ka na sa VIP section hah! :lol: Speaking of ghosts, I saw this damn scary Thai ghost movie on DVD this afternoon called SHUTTER. Punyeta, I was screaming every 10minutes! Wahahahaha, as in sobrang nakakatakot! I don't know why I am such a sucker for punishment! :wacko:

HOL, Eagleyes and Agxo3 ... hope foreign soil has been kind to all of you. :)

Welcome again to HotMommaMacy the non-alcoholic visitor! And hello to Storm (whose exhibit is coming up soon?), Castlemaine, Augustmoon, sliderule, and novocaine. Hope to be reading your WRs very very soon!

Oh di daw ako nag backread! :lol: Konti lang :)

Speaking of WR ... I had this lovely bottle of red two weeks ago at my friends new shag pad (he's totally gay by the way but is just terrific arm candy!), it is spanish and made from Kava grapes. The name escapes me but it had the word GATE in it (RedGate/SpanishGate) and it was semi-sweet. And according to my friend eh super VFM! This baby was chilled at 14degrees and ooohhhh it was just perfect easy-drinking wine -- fruity, light and totally tickled my mouth. :) It made me feel like a young girl again like in a very Gigi (the movie) kind of way and not Lizzy Mcguire or Lolita! :lol: Soon as I get the name right I'll post it here. :)

Here's to another wistful week ahead for me and perhaps a wonderful week for all of you. Cheers! *hic*

Welcome back, Madame LipStick!

See what happens when you disappear? Four pages only! May your presence bring out the prolific typists in all of us!

Guys,

We've been saving and dreaming of the expensive but fantastic wines. How about a comparison of the table wines? The stuff we can drink on a daily basis without hurting the pocket but, at the same time, please the palate as well. Bods, Masi, Agxo, HOL, everyone? Your experiences on this is most welcome! Maybe we can also add comments such as "this wine keeps in the ref for 2 to 3 days, after that you can use it for cooking" or other things related to not finishing the whole bottle in one sitting.

See what happens when you disappear?  Four pages only!  May your presence bring out the prolific typists in all of us!

Guys,

We've been saving and dreaming of the expensive but fantastic wines.  How about a comparison of the table wines?  The stuff we can drink on a daily basis without hurting the pocket but, at the same time, please the palate as well.  Bods, Masi, Agxo, HOL, everyone?  Your experiences on this is most welcome!  Maybe we can also add comments such as "this wine keeps in the ref for 2 to 3 days, after that you can use it for cooking" or other things related to not finishing the whole bottle in one sitting.

Nyar!!! Isa ka pa FD! HEH! :P Hmmm kamtotink of it I have never given you an AWARD yet .... so eto isang malaking AWARD for you!

:thumbsupsmiley:

:lol:

My vote goes to that RedGate Spanish Kava red vino I had two weeks ago! Lemme just get the price and name right and I will post here asap! Like I was telling Masi earlier, this red is totally uncomplicated! :D

See what happens when you disappear?  Four pages only!  May your presence bring out the prolific typists in all of us!

Guys,

We've been saving and dreaming of the expensive but fantastic wines.  How about a comparison of the table wines?  The stuff we can drink on a daily basis without hurting the pocket but, at the same time, please the palate as well.  Bods, Masi, Agxo, HOL, everyone?  Your experiences on this is most welcome!  Maybe we can also add comments such as "this wine keeps in the ref for 2 to 3 days, after that you can use it for cooking" or other things related to not finishing the whole bottle in one sitting.

I would go for the Gran Trillo (P180/bottle). Day old wines? Hmmm, interesting! If I drink alone, I try to consume the entire bottle. But in evenings where I would leave some for the day after, it's usually just about a glass. Then, I would have no regret spoiling a good vintage.

As for cooking with wine, I follow the adage, "Don't cook with wine you can't drink".

My vote goes to that RedGate Spanish Kava red vino I had two weeks ago!  Lemme just get the price and name right and I will post here asap!  Like I was telling Masi earlier, this red is totally uncomplicated! :D

I've tried a few Spanish wines, a Bach and Vina Albali Gran Reserva tempranillo, (i forgot the name) shiraz and a Raimat pinot noir, with bods. So far Spanish wines have always surprised us!

Oh I saw Masi pala kanina over lunch at Kiku Fuji ... ganda ng kasama!  WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  AWARD! :lol:

Nice seeing you too!!!! (shouldn't this be in the japanese restaurant thread?) :D