Nice one!

And if you don't treat the them right, they turn sour on you. 

Treat them with care, they mature beautifully and make you dream of the day of popping the cork and savoring its juices.

....that's an equally good one, pare! I like the "popping the cork" part :P

A friend of mine gave me a 1998 Chateau La Croix L'Estephe Saint-Estephe Bordeaux wine.

Masarap siya para sa akin. I opened it when my cousin from Bangkok came over for dinner.

I see you've been drinking expensive stuff, pare! As pinoy says, meron pa ba? :P

According to the wine chart Bordeuax 1998 wines are very good (4 stars out of 5).  May natira? :(

si storm may 6 stars out of 5 sa atin pag may natira dun sa Bordeaux :lol:

According to the wine chart Bordeuax 1998 wines are very good (4 stars out of 5).  May natira? :(

I see you've been drinking expensive stuff, pare! As pinoy says, meron pa ba? :P

si storm may 6 stars out of 5 sa atin pag may natira dun sa Bordeaux :lol:

Naubos namin. Mahal pala iyon kaya masarap! :P

Pulos mamahalin palang mga nainom ko when I checked sa Wine Depot and Arellano's some of the wines that I received as a gift. Meron pa kong natira rito -- Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon 2000, Australian Wine. Ok ba siya? saan ko siya dapat ilagay? Pwede ba sa ref?

Pero may natikman akong Spanish wine sa isang cocktail party na walang year pero masarap. I forgot the name though (hindi siya MOMPO) :P :thumbsupsmiley:

post-30494-1127672104.jpgpost-30494-1127672124.jpgPwede rin kaya ang wine with chocolate? balak ko kasing i tie up yung product kong cocoa tablea sa isang red wine na cabarnet, ano kayang wine ang mas pwede dito yung merlot kaya o yung california red. Para kasing pwede yung habang nag wine ka nag didip ka naman ng fruits sa fondue o kaya kainin mo na ng straight yung tablea dahil bitter sweet naman siya. Anyone here have tried it, Ilalabas kasi namin sa supermarket at wine store yung tablea na yun kaya ako nag reresearch muna bago ko iimplement. Anyways , yung mga sasagot may 10% discount sa tablea hehehe
post-30494-1127672104.jpgpost-30494-1127672124.jpgPwede rin kaya ang wine with chocolate? balak ko kasing i tie up yung product kong cocoa tablea sa isang red wine na cabarnet, ano kayang wine ang mas pwede dito yung merlot kaya o yung california red. Para kasing pwede yung habang nag wine ka nag didip ka naman ng fruits sa fondue o kaya kainin mo na ng straight yung tablea dahil bitter sweet naman siya. Anyone here have tried it, Ilalabas kasi namin sa supermarket at wine store yung tablea na yun kaya ako nag reresearch  muna bago ko iimplement. Anyways , yung mga sasagot may 10% discount sa tablea hehehe

Very Interesting!

How does the tablea compare with couverture? This is what I use in making chocolate fondue. My kids and pamangkin love this!

A dry white wine would go nicely with chocolate. But, of course, it's a matter of taste. The best would be to do a wine tasting with the chocolate (hint, hint). :D I've experienced wines that people say will taste good with certain foods, but when I actually matched them, I didn't like it. Other times, it came as a big surprise that a wine would go with something unusual.

I've read tasting notes on some fuller reds which said that they have hints of chocolate, but to take chocolates while drinking? Maybe a thick, rich chocolate after a night of wine will be be good.

Dark chocolates and an espresso would be a perfect fit plus a good cigar... ahhhh!!!!!

post-30494-1127672104.jpgpost-30494-1127672124.jpgPwede rin kaya ang wine with chocolate? balak ko kasing i tie up yung product kong cocoa tablea sa isang red wine na cabarnet, ano kayang wine ang mas pwede dito yung merlot kaya o yung california red. Para kasing pwede yung habang nag wine ka nag didip ka naman ng fruits sa fondue o kaya kainin mo na ng straight yung tablea dahil bitter sweet naman siya. Anyone here have tried it, Ilalabas kasi namin sa supermarket at wine store yung tablea na yun kaya ako nag reresearch  muna bago ko iimplement. Anyways , yung mga sasagot may 10% discount sa tablea hehehe

pare correct me if I'm wrong but on the label of your tablea it says that it is perfect as hot chocolate or with champorado so the tablea is not eaten as chocolate per se. So it would also be in liquid form. Dunno how it would match with another liquid - which is wine.

Be that as it may, cabernet sauvignon might match up as it is also noted for chocolate notes. But I'm not so sure as I don't really drink wine with food - I just drink wine :P

So how much percent off do I get? :lol:

Floppy D, you are correct. In matching wine with food, go with what works for you. Kung masama naman talaga ang kombinasyon, palagay ko hindi ka na uulit dun :P But there are several no-no's, like you don't drink a full-bodied wine like shiraz or cabernet sauvignon with some fish like salmon. It gives off a metallic taste in the mouth :sick: :wacko:

Edited by bods1000

Hello. Makiki-post ako ha. Sabi kasi ng hubby ko, abuso na raw ang pagiging lurker ko.

Anyway, I'm not a wine expert. I just got the habit when I started working (kasi, bago ako magtrabaho, vodka at tequila ang kaligayahan ko! :D ) I'm trying to convince hubby to switch to wine from his beloved Strong Ice so makiki-basa na lang ako dito.

For my wine report - hubby and I enjoyed a bottle of Mont Gras Quatro Reserva at Rastro in Rockwell a couple of nights ago. It was great with the boquerones! I wouldn't know how it tasted with the seafood paella kasi appetizers pa lang kami, naubos na namin yung buong bottle.

And then, 2 saturdays ago, I was in Segafredo, ordering food for take out. While waiting for my sandwich, I tried their house red, Double Bay (?), an Australian wine. Ok naman siya. I finished a glass in 5 minutes. (By the way, this is how I test wines - if I drink it fast or if I am tempted to finish a whole bottle all by myself, it must be good!)

Ay, after reading your reports, I tried smelling the wines that I drink and started looking at their color. Utangnaloob! Pare-pareho lang silang burgundy and they all smell the same to me! :wacko:

Hello. Makiki-post ako ha. Sabi kasi ng hubby ko, abuso na raw ang pagiging lurker ko.

Anyway, I'm not a wine expert. I just got the habit when I started working (kasi, bago ako magtrabaho, vodka at tequila ang kaligayahan ko! :D ) I'm trying to convince hubby to switch to wine from his beloved Strong Ice so makiki-basa na lang ako dito.

For my wine report - hubby and I enjoyed a  bottle of Mont Gras Quatro Reserva at Rastro in Rockwell a couple of nights ago. It was great with the boquerones! I wouldn't know how it tasted with the seafood paella kasi appetizers pa lang kami, naubos na namin yung buong bottle.

And then, 2 saturdays ago, I was in Segafredo, ordering food for take out. While waiting for my sandwich, I tried their house red, Double Bay (?), an Australian wine. Ok naman siya. I finished a glass in 5 minutes. (By the way, this is how I test wines - if I drink it fast or if I am tempted to finish a whole bottle all by myself, it must be good!)

Ay, after reading your reports, I tried smelling the wines that I drink and started looking at their color. Utangnaloob! Pare-pareho lang silang burgundy and they all smell the same to me! :wacko:

welcome to wine savvy! although i am not the owner of this thread, i am sure the regulars will similarly do so :thumbsupsmiley: .

walang expert dito! :D but we try to maximize a good wine by trying to identify the flavors we taste. keep posting your experiences and maybe you can join us in our ebs, when we get one going.

thanks for your tasting notes on the Mont Gras Quatro Reserva and the Double Bay.

here's an article that deals with chocolate and wine pairings:

Tips for Successfully Pairing Wines with Chocolate

The wine should be at least as sweet, if sweeter, than the chocolate you are serving it with. Otherwise, the taste may quickly veer towards sour.

When pairing wines with chocolate, your best bet is to match lighter, more elegant flavored chocolates with lighter-bodied wines; likewise, the stronger the chocolate, the more full-bodied the wine should be. For example, a bittersweet chocolate tends to pair well with an intense, in-your-face California Zinfandel.

White Chocolate Wine Suggestions

White chocolate tends to be more mellow and buttery in flavor, making it an ideal candidate for a Sherry (try Manuel de Argueso Pedro Ximinez $18), a Moscato d'Asti (try 2002 Marcarini Moscato d'Asti at $15), from Italy’s Piedmont region offers a hint of carbonation, or an Orange Muscat (such as Quady Winery’s 2002 Orange Muscat for $17). The Sherry and Moscato d’Asti will pick up the creaminess of the chocolates and the Orange Muscat will pick up any fruit tones present.

Milk Chocolate Wine Suggestions

Pinot Noir (Smoking Loon 2001 Pinot Noir $9) or light Merlot (Red Diamond 2001 Merlot $12) will compliment a bar of milk chocolate, a creamy chocolate mousse or chocolate accented cheesecake. Rieslings(Fetzer’s Johannisburg Echo Ridge 2003 Riesling at $10) and Muscats (try the2001 Benziger Muscat Canelli at $12) hold up well to mild milk chocolates.

Dark Chocolate Wine Suggestions

Dark or bittersweet chocolates need a wine that offers a roasted, slightly bitter flavor itself, with perhaps a hint of its own chocolate notes. Cabs and Zinfandels have a history of perfecting the dark chocolate match, resulting in an unparalleled tasting combination. A Cabernet Sauvignon (Sebastiani Vineyards 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon at $17) or a Zinfandel (try Robert Mondavi Private Selection 2002 Zinfandel at $11) will more than fill your chocolate pairing expectations.

Okay - so I've been gone a loooooong time, and a lot has happened since then. A couple of new members on the wine-savvy thread - welcome! And a few familiar faces form other thread - Macy, welcome!

Saw Eagleyes' notes on chocloate/wine pairings. The cab/dark chocolate pairing is particularly good when the chocolate has a slight bitter edge to it, and the cab is a full-bodied but not overly tannic wine. Otherwise, go with a nice well-aged port - say, a Quinto do Noval 1988 LBV. Or for a younger port, try a California port-style wine, such as a Fenestra Zinfandel "Port" (1999?).

Our kitchen's still all torn up so we haven't been cooking much at all - the occasional meat on the outdoor BBQ grill, or something in the microwave, but that's it, so not much wine at home. But this past weekend, we had a couple come over to inspect the state of the kitchen, and while they were there, I popped open a bottle of a 1999 Fieldstone cab (Alexander Valley).

And what a surprise! It was full-bodied giving a great mouth feel, ripe fruit bursting through with lots of berries, currants and a hint of raisin, chocolate and tobacco undertones and a long, smooth, silky finish. So whta better pairings that a bit of dark chocolate (bittersweet Vahlrona) and a couple of nice Cubans (illegal here, but what the heck! The evidence is all gone and turned to ashes.... :D ) Gotta go back to that winery - the winemaker was a really nice guy and gave us a suggestion for a great place for dinner in Santa Rosa, so he knows his food as well.

Granite's being installed on Monday, electrical and plumbing on Tuesday, and appliances (we decided to splurge and go high end with the appliances - Wolf 48" dual-fuel range, Vent-a-Hood 4-blower hood with halogen work lights and infrared warming lights, Sub-Zero 36" bottom freezer fridge, Bosch ultra-quiet dishwasher) on Wednesday. Yay!! I get my kitchen back!!

What do I cook for our first meal in the new kitchen? Dunno but I gotta start checking out cookbooks now. And for the wine, perhaps a 1992 or 1993 Retzlaff cab, or a 1995 Neibaum-Coppola Rubicon. Or if we go light and healthy for the meal (some nice seafood - some seabass or perhaps asome fresh halibut?), then a 1998 Retzlaff chardonnay or a 1999 J Pinot Gris would go very nicely......and that White House tawny port for dessert. I'm getting hungry already........... :P

OK - back to lurker mode for now.........

how's the leg? the bottles are still with me.  i am not aging them, we just cannot seem to get a common date when to open them..

thanks for asking. i suppose the bone is healing right on schedule. however, it's another 4 weeks before i can bear partial weight on it per my ortho's advise. due to the immobilizer i was wearing, my leg muscles have stiffened a bunch; but since i've been doing some leg raises, quad contractions, and some range of motion exercises, i'm now able to bend my knee up to a 45 degree angle without too much discomfort.

enjoy, guys. drink reposibly! :)

Okay - so I've been gone a loooooong time, and a lot has happened since then. A couple of new members on the wine-savvy thread - welcome! And a few familiar faces form other thread - Macy, welcome! ....

OK - back to lurker mode for now.........

best of luck on your remodelling. but, weren't you supposed to be in this part of the world this time of year?

best of luck on your remodelling.  but, weren't you supposed to be in this part of the world this time of year?

Yeah - I was in Taiwan just last week, but with some critical milestones such as getting the template done for the granite and making sure the hookups (electrical, gas, plumbing) are all set and in the right places for the range and fridge coming up, I could not take the extra days to head over to Manila.

I will be back in Taiwan the week of Nov. 7 (meetings from Nov. 8-11). Whether I can go to Manila for the weekend will depend on (a) the status of a potential side trip to Vietnam, and (B) whether my daughter decides to visit from LA the weekend after my trip.

Then of course there's next year's reunion planned for the end of January or early February in Baguio. I still don't know what the plans are around that and if there will be time and opportunity for a WEB with you guys on that trip.

thanks for asking. i suppose the bone is healing right on schedule. however, it's another 4 weeks before i can bear partial weight on it per my ortho's advise. due to the immobilizer i was wearing, my leg muscles have stiffened a bunch; but since i've been doing some leg raises, quad contractions, and some range of motion exercises, i'm now able to bend my knee up to a 45 degree angle without too much discomfort.

enjoy, guys. drink reposibly!  :)

???? I missed something. What's with the leg, eagleyes?

Hope it's nothing too serious! Hard to go wine tasting with a bum leg! How would you carry all those cases of wine back to your car? :D