Yeah - I was in Taiwan just last week, but with some critical milestones such as getting the template done for the granite and making sure the hookups (electrical, gas, plumbing) are all set and in the right places for the range and fridge coming up, I could not take the extra days to head over to Manila.

I will be back in Taiwan the week of Nov. 7 (meetings from Nov. 8-11). Whether I can go to Manila for the weekend will depend on (a) the status of a potential side trip to Vietnam, and (B) whether my daughter decides to visit from LA the weekend after my trip.

Then of course there's next year's reunion planned for the end of January or early February in Baguio. I still don't know what the plans are around that and if there will be time and opportunity for a WEB with you guys on that trip.

we'll be here, just let us know!

By any chance one of you won the auction for the Cape Jaffa Shiraz 1998 Imperial? 32,000 pesos for one bottle! Well I think any one of you can afford to pay for that.  :-)

That's just plain nuts for a '98. And not even a Screaming Eagle or a Helen Turley at that! :boo:

I buy at acution but I make it a rule to either know the value of the wine and not bid above that, or not bid at all.......

I have bought some really good values at auction. Two Bordeaux - a '77 St. Estephe and an '85 Gruaud-Larose, both for $40!!! Now THAT was a deal! And then I picked up a '66 Chateau Leoville-Las Cases for $100. ANOTHER steal. I've found that people waaaaaay overbid for wines (and other stuff) at auction. It seems that the desire to win overrides all good sense. Being an engineer, good sense rules!!!! :lol:

I would pay that much for a wine, but maybe not for a pretty young Aussie shiraz. Now, for a '92 or '93 Rubicon, or maybe a '95 Screaming Eagle - hmmmm, I could go for that!!! which reminds me - those '95 rubicons and '93 retzlaffs are crying out, begging to be quaffed.........come next week, when my new kitchen is operative, I will definitely be popping one (or more) of those beauties.

with that money, i would spend it on several other labels and still have enough to buy a wine ref!!! :D

Well, maybe not. thgat Transtherm I picked up was $1500. And the small 32-bottle wine fridge was $299 at Costco. but hey! If you can find one at $300 or less and it's a decent brand, buy it!!! You'll wonder how you got by without one at all!

we'll be here, just let us know!

I will.......hoping for the Vietnam thing to fall through and for my daughter to decide the wait until Thanksgiving to come and visit. Then I can stop by Manila for the weekend and go see youse guys and work our way through a GOOD Californian and one of your great Aussies......

Funny reading thru it!

But the Grant Burge port is really fantastic! We had the chance to taste the 10 year old or 20 year old last weekend, and they're great! But the 20 year old is more mellow and smooth. BTW, how does a port wine earn the name Tawny? Is it the age, the grapes or the process? The Grant Burge 20 year old we tried was Tawny, but the 10 year old was not marked tawny.

Too bad the stuff is really expensive to have everyday.

By any chance one of you won the auction for the Cape Jaffa Shiraz 1998 Imperial? 32,000 pesos for one bottle! Well I think any one of you can afford to pay for that.  :-)

yeah pare that was a hilarious article by Claude Tayag - he really put a damper on the sniff-and-swirl crowd hehehe...hilarious the way he repeatedly said if there was a thesaurus where you can get these terms found in a wine review....well, sometimes, it pulls you back to earth when you read something like this from laymen - it reminds you not to be so overbearing in describing wines. A simple like it or not, enjoyed it or hated it sometimes is enough :)

I wouldn't pay even half of that for a Cape Jaffa pare, or even a thousand. That wine doesn't carry any cachet, or maybe I'm behind the reviews already :P Anyway it should be good....

That's just plain nuts for a '98. And not even a Screaming Eagle or a Helen Turley at that!  :boo:

I buy at acution but I make it a rule to either know the value of the wine and not bid above that, or not bid at all.......

I have bought some really good values at auction. Two Bordeaux - a '77 St. Estephe and an '85 Gruaud-Larose, both for $40!!! Now THAT was a deal! And then I picked up a '66 Chateau Leoville-Las Cases for $100. ANOTHER steal. I've found that people waaaaaay overbid for wines (and other stuff) at auction. It seems that the desire to win overrides all good sense. Being an engineer, good sense rules!!!!  :lol:

I would pay that much for a wine, but maybe not for a pretty young Aussie shiraz. Now, for a '92 or '93 Rubicon, or maybe a '95 Screaming Eagle - hmmmm, I could go for that!!! which reminds me - those '95 rubicons and '93 retzlaffs are crying out, begging to be quaffed.........come next week, when my new kitchen is operative, I will definitely be popping one (or more) of those beauties.

now those are mouthwatering wines - the Rubicons and the Screaming Eagle - they're worth that and more!

Could you, maybe bring around a Rubicon if you find your way in these parts and say, we'll bid for it at our WEB :P Kailangang pag-ipunan na ito, mga pare!

...........pwede na ding libre siguro hehehe

Funny reading thru it!

But the Grant Burge port is really fantastic! We had the chance to taste the 10 year old or 20 year old last weekend, and they're great!  But the 20 year old is more mellow and smooth.  BTW, how does a port wine earn the name Tawny?  Is it the age, the grapes or the process?  The Grant Burge 20 year old we tried was Tawny, but the 10 year old was not marked tawny.

Too bad the stuff is really expensive to have everyday.

I'm not sure about this but Port is aged in two styles - bottle-aged and cask-aged. The bottle-aged are kept in wood for a short time then bottled without filtration and there in bottles they mature. They retain their color and fruitiness up to maturity.

Cask-aged port are matured in wood, then bottled and filtered. They lose much of their color and become Tawny. Ports are pretty expensive and are higher in alcohol content.

now those are mouthwatering wines - the Rubicons and the Screaming Eagle - they're worth that and more!

Could you, maybe bring around a Rubicon if you find your way in these parts and say, we'll bid for it at our WEB :P Kailangang pag-ipunan na ito, mga pare!

...........pwede na ding libre siguro hehehe

Oh, no....the GOOD wines are for enjoying and sharing, not for selling. I'm not a collector in that sense. I collect what I plan to drink with friends, not to sell.

I will bring a couple of bottles when I visit next - which ones depends on my itinerary. If I go from here to Manila direct, or at worst, a few days in Taipei then I'll bring a Rubicon. But if I end up in Asia after hitting Israel and Romania first, then I'll bring something sturdier. I do have a bunch of older ('92, '93, '95, '97, '98) wines left in my stash.

Went over to an old friend's house for dinner tonight. Hadn't seen him in a while - between his travel schedule and mine, and his twins, and family, etc., we couldn't find a weekend where neither of us had other commitments. So after a year or playing phone tag and calendar wars, we finally got together. He's into reds as well, and I always know we'll be having red meat and red wine when we get together. So I went and bought an '02 Cartlidge and Brown (Sonoma County) Syrah to bring over.

He grilled a tri-tip and we had that, and a green salad, ovn-roasted brussel sprouts (!) and the syrah. All I can say about the wine is - wow! For an '02, it was mature, dense powerful. Plummy and jammy, with loads of blackberries, and hints of smoke and leather. Soft tannins, lots of fruit. Dark, dark piurple (almost black) in color. Legs that went on forever. And the best part is - it was a $10 wine at their local corner grocery. Turns out Robert Parker rated it 89 points. And I can see why. I'd buy it again. In fact, i think I'll go buy a half case to stash and drink over the coming year. I don't think it'll last much more than that but while it lasts, it will be good with almost ANY red meat.

Bods1000 and I attended a merged eb of the 70's thread and wine savvy. We had a few bottles of wine in between rounds of italian salami, manchego cheese, taco salad, bruschetta pomodoro with prosciutto ham and a honey cake whle sharing stories of the glorious times of our youth which spans some 4 decades! :boo:

I have to share my notes on those few wines we drank.

Bottle 1: Hartley Ostini 2002 Hitching Post Pinot Noir Santa Barbara County. Medium red color and long legs (14.5% by volume). Very bountiful and rich fragrance of berries and cherries which carried on in the mouth; hints of chocolate. A flavorful balance and long finish of oak and spices. This was everyone's favorite and all had high praises for this great wine. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Bottle 2: Concha Y Toro Casellero del Diable Merlot 2003 Chile. Deep red bordering purple colors. Mid to rich bouquet of berries, mild flavors of spice. Vibrant body with a short but balanced finish. Tannic as a merlot should be, but it was good! :thumbsupsmiley:

Bottle 3: Ottimino Little 8 2002 Zinfandel Von Weidlich Vineyard Russian River Valley. My baptism of fire with a zin. Deep red with rich flavors of berries and cherries, oak and spice. Long smooth finish. This was truly a special wine. Bods1000 and I can't help but notice the deep punt in the bottle. A great wine for special events and people. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Bottle 4: Riddoch Coonawarra 2002 Shiraz. If you're reading this and aren't drunk yet, then I am :lol: . We popped the cork at around 1o'clock in the morning :wacko: . Deep red color, rich flavors or plums and berries (raspberries). Pinoy strigoi spotted a hint of licorice, which my wine buddy and Aussie Shiraz Guru, bods1000 stated that it was typical. :thumbsupsmiley:

With all these great wines, we literally covered the wine regions of the vast Pacific. :thumbsupsmiley:

We ended at 2:00a.m. and it took me a while to get rid of this hang over of good friends, food, music and great wine. Many thanks to sliderule, 16track, augustmoon, liberty, pinoy strigoi, my wine buddy, bods1000. Storm and Lipstick couldn't make it due to commitments.

A BIG THANKS! goes to eagleyes, who had to break a leg to share with us the great bounties of the northern pacific. Get well, pare!

The weekend was a wine event. Friday night, the wifey and I attended an art gallery inauguration. My wife was apprehensive on picking a glass of wine which was being served, saying it may not be good. Bold and daring as I have been on wines (I am venturing on whites lately), I got a glass and went through the usual paces of swirling the glass and dipping my nose. Took a sip and surmised that this was a Merlot (at this point I had no inkling of what it was and my rep*tation on wine was at stake with my wife :lol: :lol: :lol: ). It was good, that I had to get another glass. The bartender poured it from the bottle and true to form, it was a Merlot. I just couldn't remember the label except that it was Australian. No other wine was served that night except it. Ahhhh!!! My first successful blind taste. B)

Truly a great weekend. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by masi

Winemakers' and Robert Parker's notes.

Hartley Ostini Hitching Post 2002 Pinot Noir Santa Barbara. [A] sexy, seductive effort possessing a medium ruby color, sweet currants, plums, and raspberries, a round, elegant texture, and a long supple finish. Enjoy it over the next 3-4 years. - 88 points from Robert M. Parker Jr.'s THE WINE ADVOCATE

Concha Torro, Casillero del Diablo, Merlot 2003, Chile

Color: Dark and deep red

Nose: Attractive aromas of plums, smoke, herbs and graphite notes.

Taste: Hints of chocolate and spices and a generous touch of toasted American oak. Mouthfilling texture, soft but well structured.

Ottonimo Little8 2002 Zinfandel Von Weidlich Vineyard Russian River Valley

The distinct character of Von Weidlich Zinfandel comes through in aromas dense with blackberry, ripe plum and spicy raspberry, overlain with clove and toasty oak. The lush entry displays fruit to match, giving way to an expansive, tongue coating mid-palate and layers of spiced berry and cherry. The wine’s finish reverberates with pure Zinfandel character. This hearty wine complements all manner of roasted meats, and its inherent balance will equally enhance more rustic or adventurous meals.

Riddoch Coonwarra 2002 Shiraz

Color: Deep blood plum with purple hues.

Nose: Berry fruit dominates with hints of licorice. Subtle oak provides some chocolate, caramel notes.

Mouth: Mouth filling ripe raspberry and plum fruit flavors is a highlight of the palate. The tannins are soft and velvety while the oak provides subtle cedar notes. The finish is lingering with pepper and spicy oak.

well, what more can I add? The EB was another rousing success, thanks to our peerless host, masi; the warm and rip-roaring company of augustmoon, liberty, sliderule, pinoy and 16track; the excellent and very delectable food; the vintage music that transported us back in time; and the presence of four stunning wines :thumbsupsmiley: Curiously I had no hangover the next day - excellent wines give me no trouble but it was the warm company that night that somehow lifted my endurance beyond any alcohol-induced problem. Again, many thanks and more to come! :cool:

Tawny Port

What? Port with pallor. When blended ports are aged for extended periods of time in wood, they lighten in color and develop a more gentle flavor than their vintage cousins. These ports, described as "tawny" and sometimes referred to as "wood-aged," are smoother and lighter than most other wines from Portugal's Oporto region. But the best tawnies, aged 10 to 40 years or more, command impressive prices. The blends can be made from different grape varieties of different vintages but because of the long aging process, the flavors mingle to produce a singularly sensational libation.

Edited by masi

Popped the cork of a Blason de Bourgogne Cuvee 2003 A.C. Pinot Noir tonight. This was a young wine based on its vintage. Color was a translucent red with light tones of purple. Nose was mild berries and hints of caramel. Initial taste revealed that this wine was green. Filled up mid to back side of the palate. Body was a light blend of berries, some vanilla and some mild tannins. Finish was moderate. The body evolved as it breathed through the glass. In short, an average drink but pretty disappointing for a pinot noir after having tasted the Hitching Post.

Capped the night with a Caribenos Habana gran corona. For tasting notes of this cigar, check the "Holy Smokes!" thread.

Edited by masi

Boo! Ola Winos!!!!! :)

Belated/advanced happy birthday to the Grand Wino of this thread .... mr. BODS!!!!!! :D

No vino for me yet so am sure the first next drop would titillate my tastebuds .... sana hindi matapat sa BAD WINE NIGHT! :lol:

Masi Pare! Wattap? My best regards to Mrs. B please, would love to meet her one of these days. :)

Boo!  Ola Winos!!!!! :)

Belated/advanced happy birthday to the Grand Wino of this thread .... mr. BODS!!!!!! :D 

No vino for me yet so am sure the first next drop would titillate my tastebuds .... sana hindi matapat sa BAD WINE NIGHT! :lol:

Masi Pare!  Wattap?  My best regards to Mrs. B please, would love to meet her one of these days. :)

When is Bods birthday?

He won't say!!!  Here are my only clues ... he's a fellow libran so that's anywhere between Sept. 23 - Oct. 22 .... and his patron saint is St. Michael.  Would you know Storm when that might be? :unsure:

Hey Lipstick!!!! Glad to see you on board!!!! Bods' birthday was last week of September just a few days before the merged 70s and wine savvy eb. Had a chance to convey my felicitations to THE MAN!!! :thumbsupsmiley: Wow!!! The Great GAL has been left high and dry. Now, with all the work you've been doing(sigurado kang work yan ha! :lol: ) the rouge and luster is nearly gone, Lipstick! :(

Wattap with me? Nothing much, more of the same... smoke, post, drink, pass out!!!! :boo: (oh, sometimes I work too! :P )

Well, whenever I get to meet Mrs.B in our future ebs, I'll convey your best regards! :upside: Why didn't my wife think of that nick?

Your timing is great... just in time for the Beaujoulais Noveau! :D

Some facts:

1. Beaujolais [bOE-zjoh-lay] Nouveau is always released the third Thursday of November, regardless of the start of the harvest.

2. The region of Beaujolais is 34 miles long from north to south and 7 to 9 miles wide. There are nearly 4,000 grape growers who make their living in this picturesque region just north of France's third largest city, Lyon.

3. All the grapes in the Beaujolais region must be picked by hand. These are the only vineyards, along with Champagne, where hand harvesting is mandatory.

4. Gamay (Gamay noir à Jus Blanc) is the only grape permitted for Beaujolais. While certain California wineries may label their wine "Gamay Beaujolais" this is not the same grape variety as what is grown in France, and is quite different in taste and growing habits.

5. Beaujolais Nouveau cannot be made from grapes grown in the 10 crus (great growths) of Beaujolais-only from grapes coming from the appellations of Beaujolais and Beaujolais-Villages.

6. Beaujolais Nouveau owes its easy drinkability to a winemaking process called carbonic maceration—also called whole berry fermentation. This technique preserves the fresh, fruity quality of the wine, without extracting bitter tannins from the grape skins.

7. Beaujolais Nouveau is meant to be drunk young-in average vintages it should be consumed by the following May after its release. However, in excellent vintages (such as 2000) the wine can live much longer and can be enjoyed until the next harvest rolls around.

8. Serve Beaujolais Nouveau slightly cool, at about 55 degrees Fahrenheit-the wine is more refreshing and its forward fruit more apparent than if you serve it at room temperature.

9. Approximately 1/3 of the entire crop of the Beaujolais region is sold as Beaujolais Nouveau.

10. The region of Beaujolais is known for its fabulous food. The famed Paul Bocuse Restaurant is just minutes from the heart of Beaujolais, as is Georges Blanc's eponymous culinary temple. These great restaurants have plenty of Beaujolais on their wine lists. This quintessential food wine goes well with either haute cuisine or Tuesday night's meat loaf.

Boo!  Ola Winos!!!!! :)

Masi Pare!  Wattap?  My best regards to Mrs. B please, would love to meet her one of these days. :)

ok that reminds me never to tinker with my cp when I'm under the spell of my patron saint ;)

Since I have the patience of a saint, I will not tell anybody that your birthday is coming up :hypocritesmiley:

now that reminds me, when is the BAD WINE NIGHT?

Hey Lipstick!!!! Glad to see you on board!!!!  Bods' birthday was last week of September just a few days  before the merged 70s and wine savvy eb.  Had a chance to convey my felicitations to THE MAN!!! :thumbsupsmiley:  Wow!!! The Great GAL has been left high and dry.  Now, with all the work you've been doing(sigurado kang work yan ha! :lol: ) the rouge and luster is nearly gone, Lipstick! :(

Wattap with me?  Nothing much, more of the same... smoke, post, drink, pass out!!!! :boo: (oh, sometimes I work too! :P )

Well, whenever I get to meet Mrs.B in our future ebs, I'll convey your best regards!  :upside:  Why didn't my wife think of that nick?

thanks pare - now you know why I was quite busy that week :boo:

Ako din - I wanna meet Mrs.B, whoever she is hehehe

....ako din - not much, more of the same - smoke, drink, work - but not at the same time :lol:

cheers to all the winos!