hindi tayo DRINK NOW :P

I read that for newly-planted vines, it will take up to 3 years before it will bear wine-quality fruits....so dapat pala mahaba pisi ng vineyard owners.......

Yup - 3 to 5 years before you get grapes good enough to make decent wine. And longer to get those age-worthy wines that live forever. Not an investment for the short term kind of MBA-ish investor.

double post.....

hey there, freakish! what took you so long?

Haven't seen Sideways as it has not been shown here yet hehehe...were the Pinots big in that film?

I'm fine....still mellowed out like wine hehehe :*

hahaha!! was just busy with family life, :)

yeah..the movie featured pinot noir

(just get the pirated copy am sure there's one somewhere in greehills, hehehe)

just amazing how it can affect the sale of those wines in real life :cool:

good to know you're fine...

hah, how come we've both mellowed? :P :lol:

hi guys,

i'm not a wine afficionado nor am i associated with any wine drinking clubs...just wanted to ask, where we can buy those wine bottle(or is it cork) openers? my uncle has a bottle that hasn't been opened yet 'coz we have no idea where to buy a wine bottle opener(is this how you call it)?

anyways, we appreciate the help :mtc:

Yup - 3 to 5 years before you get grapes good enough to make decent wine. And longer to get those age-worthy wines that live forever. Not an investment for the short term kind of MBA-ish investor.

yes those are the ones that get burned...

You should enter for the long-haul - wine is not for the weak of heart, the shallow of pocket....

Many outsiders are enamored by the wine industry - and they enter as soon as they have hefty pockets, not knowing the pitfalls and dangers only a long-timer in the industry knows...

hahaha!! was just busy with family life,  :)

yeah..the movie featured pinot noir

(just get the pirated copy am sure there's one somewhere in greehills, hehehe)

just amazing how it can affect the sale of those wines in real life :cool:

good to know you're fine...

hah, how come we've both mellowed? :P  :lol:

you know, I never noticed your member title - so how come you've mellowed hehehe....

I'm mellowed, because I'm now ready for drinking :evil:

nah, I want to watch it in the big screen first then have an original for my collection...the pirated copies are just for other crappy films...

It's good to know you've been a good family woman hehehe....

hi guys,

i'm not a wine afficionado nor am i associated with any wine drinking clubs...just wanted to ask, where we can buy those wine bottle(or is it cork) openers? my uncle has a bottle that hasn't been opened yet 'coz we have no idea where to buy a wine bottle opener(is this how you call it)?

anyways, we appreciate the help  :mtc:

I saw some good and decent (I suppose) corkscrews and wine opener at Wine Depot (Malugay ST. Makati). About P300+...

Thanks for visiting...tell us if you have any concerns..

When I was a newbie in wine-drinking, I didn't know these wine openers so I just used an icepick to push the cork inside :P Pretty messy but i got to drink the wine immediately hehehe....

you know, I never noticed your member title - so how come you've mellowed hehehe....

I'm mellowed, because I'm now ready for drinking :evil:

nah, I want to watch it in the big screen first then have an original for my collection...the pirated copies are just for other crappy films...

It's good to know you've been a good family woman hehehe....

You both seem to be pretty mellow right now - so what wine are you drinking to mellow yourself out?

Damn - just remembered I have a bottle of chard I left in the fridge (opened!!) for almost a week. Well, let's see what its like tonight. I might have some good vinegar! It's a Retzlaff, 2001.

I was just at Retzlaff last weekend, after going to Mitchell Katz (they're within a couple of miles of each other and I had a designated river! :P ). Tasted their 2004 chard and suv blanc. Both very, very nice. And for the first time in the past few years, they have what promises to be a really good merlot and a pretty decent cab. Not a hint of "green" this year. But the blend will beat either one solo, I think. But time will tell. So my friend and I each bought a case to be picked up next year this time. Yup, back to buying futures! He's bought a case of reds, I bought the whites. When we pick up the wines, we get to spec what's in the case.

Haven't seen Sideways yet, either and it's out on DVD soon. No longer on the big screen here, so I guess DVD in widescreen on HD will have to do.

I saw some good and decent (I suppose) corkscrews and wine opener at Wine Depot (Malugay ST. Makati). About P300+...

Thanks for visiting...tell us if you have any concerns..

When I was a newbie in wine-drinking, I didn't know these wine openers so I just used an icepick to push the cork inside :P Pretty messy but i got to drink the wine immediately hehehe....

thanx for the info..will help a lot :cool:

btw, does wine lose its taste when you have not opened the bottle yet?

You both seem to be pretty mellow right now - so what wine are you drinking to mellow yourself out?

Damn - just remembered I have a bottle of chard I left in the fridge (opened!!) for almost a week. Well, let's see what its like tonight. I might have some good vinegar! It's a Retzlaff, 2001.

I was just at Retzlaff last weekend, after going to Mitchell Katz (they're within a couple of miles of each other and I had a designated river!  :P ). Tasted their 2004 chard and suv blanc. Both very, very nice. And for the first time in the past few years, they have what promises to be a really good merlot and a pretty decent cab. Not a hint of "green" this year. But the blend will beat either one solo, I think. But time will tell. So my friend and I each bought a case to be picked up next year this time. Yup, back to buying futures! He's bought a case of reds, I bought the whites. When we pick up the wines, we get to spec what's in the case.

Haven't seen Sideways yet, either and it's out on DVD soon. No longer on the big screen here, so I guess DVD in widescreen on HD will have to do.

a wine with a really hefty price tag mellows me out :P

keeps me thinking how I paid through the nose for it hehehe....

pare ilalabas na pala sa video ang SIDEWAYS and it still hasn't been shown here...

heya...double post!

any more suggestions on where to hold a possible wine EB?

Barring any other ideas, I'm thinking of just holding it at Magnum, where we would order wine/s then split the cost. Anyway, this first gig is just a getting-to-know-you phase where we could talk and share ideas on a better gig next time...

whaddaya think, guys?

Edited by bods1000
am not much of a wine drinker...

but i prefer Maria Clara Sangria among all the wines that i've tasted...

am not sure sa mga classy na wines...

hey miss_managed - I'm Mr. Unmanageable :P welcome!

I'm not sure but I think Maria Clara Sangria is not a wine per se but a mixed drink...

do come and join us in our forthcoming EB so you can get to taste wine...

wines need not be classy to be good :)

cheers!

hey miss_managed - I'm Mr. Unmanageable :P welcome!

I'm not sure but I think Maria Clara Sangria is not a wine per se but a mixed drink...

do come and join us in our forthcoming EB so you can get to taste wine...

wines need not be classy to be good :)

cheers!

Amen to that! There are good wines in ANY price bracket. Of course, if you want the absolute BEST, then you need to be prepared to pay for it! But - be forewarned! - just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good! It's true, though, that on the whole (this is a generalization - there are ALWAYS exceptions!) the better wines tend to cost more.

Most of what I buy is in the $10-30 range. I find that for my taste, I can readily find what I consider GOOD and even excellent wines in this price range. I do indulge a couple of times a year, and buy some really expensive stuff.

The annual Neibaum-Coppola release party for their flagship wine - Rubicon - is coming up soon! And I never miss THAT party! It's gone from free a few years ago to $35/person for wine club members this year, but it's still worth it. You get a nice glass, 4 generous pours of Rubicon (that's just about a whole bottle!), and lots of cold and hot pulutan. Last year the wine was released at $100/btl. 20% off for being a wine club member -> I bought 3 bottles. They're hiding in the crawl space of my house for now - I'll dig them out in 5-7 years and they should be just about ready to drink.

Sangria is a wine-based mixed drink. Done well, it's very refreshing. Requires a decent but not great wine as the base. If you use a bad wine, the sangria will be bitter and harsh. If yu use a great wine, it's w waste since with the addition of all that fruit, the finer nuances of the wine get totally obliterated. But, just as you should NOT cook with a wine you would not drink, you should NOT make sangria with a wine you would not drink by itself.

yeah it was so hard picking out the cork bits from the wine in the glass :P

istorbo sa pag-inom....

we're working on it....supposed to meet with masi tonight :)

That's what coffee filters are for! :lol: :lol:

A bunch of us guys went camping one time a couple of years back, and as usual, we brought lots and lots of wine. Except SOMEONE (not me -it wasn't MY assignment! I brought the Taj Mahal of tents! :D ) forgot the corkscrew! A screwdriver came in handy. And filters for the coffee maker did a GREAT job of removing the cork (and from one bottle, the bits of broken glass - we broke the neck of the bottle) from the wine. :lol: A true wino never lets anything so trivial get between him and his wine. :cool:

Amen to that! There are good wines in ANY price bracket. Of course, if you want the absolute BEST, then you need to be prepared to pay for it! But - be forewarned! - just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good! It's true, though, that on the whole (this is a generalization - there are ALWAYS exceptions!) the better wines tend to cost more.

Most of what I buy is in the $10-30 range. I find that for my taste, I can readily find what I consider GOOD and even excellent wines in this price range. I do indulge a couple of times a year, and buy some really expensive stuff.

The annual Neibaum-Coppola release party for their flagship wine - Rubicon - is coming up soon! And I never miss THAT party! It's gone from free a few years ago to $35/person for wine club members this year, but it's still worth it. You get a nice glass, 4 generous pours of Rubicon (that's just about a whole bottle!), and lots of cold and hot pulutan. Last year the wine was released at $100/btl. 20% off for being a wine club member -> I bought 3 bottles. They're hiding in the crawl space of my house for now - I'll dig them out in 5-7 years and they should be just about ready to drink.

Sangria is a wine-based mixed drink. Done well, it's very refreshing. Requires a decent but not great wine as the base. If you use a bad wine, the sangria will be bitter and harsh. If yu use a great wine, it's w waste since with the addition of all that fruit, the finer nuances of the wine get totally obliterated. But, just as you should NOT cook with a wine you would not drink, you should NOT make sangria with a wine you would not drink by itself.

In 5 -7 years pare maybe you could invite me there :P

yeah, a lot of wines in the P600 to P800 range here doesn't deserve that price tag...on the other hand there are serviceable wines in the P300-P500 range...maybe it's just a matter of psychology. The expensive wines you really expect to be spectacular so when it falls even just a tad short, you are disappointed. On the other hand, the cheap wines you really don't expect anything but then are surprised at how good they actually are...

That's what coffee filters are for!  :lol:  :lol:

A bunch of us guys went camping one time a couple of years back, and as usual, we brought lots and lots of wine. Except SOMEONE (not me -it wasn't MY assignment! I brought the Taj Mahal of tents!  :D ) forgot the corkscrew! A screwdriver came in handy. And filters for the coffee maker did a GREAT job of removing the cork (and from one bottle, the bits of broken glass - we broke the neck of the bottle) from the wine.  :lol:  A true wino never lets anything so trivial get between him and his wine.  :cool:

hey I didn't know about those coffee filters...

I think I better score some of them...I have some wines at home whose corks regularly crumble when I open them..gives me lots of headache...

we're winos but not skid-row alcos :P

yes a screwdriver also does the trick - I also once used one then pulled the screwdriver up with some pliers hehehe...pretty nifty but crude :blink:

hey I didn't know about those coffee filters...

I think I better score some of them...I have some wines at home whose corks regularly crumble when I open them..gives me lots of headache...

we're winos but not skid-row alcos :P

yes a screwdriver also does the trick - I also once used one then pulled the screwdriver up with some pliers hehehe...pretty nifty but crude :blink:

Get some #2s - #4s are okay but I think are too big. The #2s fit in a small funnel really nicely. Just take your time pouring through them, as the wine WILL back up a bit. The filter trick is also good if you're not good at decanting an unfiltered wine that has a bunch of sediment or tartrate crystals. Good way to take them out. I don't mind the sediment or crystals, but that's just me. Many i know are put off by the crud and the only other way to remove it is by decanting, which is only for the steady of hand. So for me, coffee filters it is!!

Fenestra is releasing some new wines in a couple of weeks. Yay! More wine to drink.....