nothing of that sort here even if you've got good karma...no wine store here comes up with something like that...At that price I could have made some good profits selling it here :P Siguro that guy loading up 30 cases will be doing some reselling.

Oh, yes! I can't see anyone stocking up on cheap wine just for personal pleasure. I think he might have been a restaurant owner or caterer. Drinkable wine at that price is unheard of!

Even Chinese wine ????:lol:

I said "drinkable"! :P :lol:

Also - I'm speaking from the perspective of one buying and consuming wine in this part of the world - that is, the San Francisco Bay Area, where everything is pretty expensive. (OT - Have you checked out real estate prices around here lately? A run-down, 50 year old, fixer-upper in a slightly scary neighborhood - that is, the sounds of gunshots that are your nightly lullaby are more than 2 blocks away - 2-3 bedrooms 1 bath, about 1300 sq. ft./130 sq. m. -> $400,000. 20 million Pinoy pesos.)

Back to the subject at hand - fellow wine geeks, check out www.egullet.org. Scroll down a bit to the eGullet Culinary Institute board. Now running - a course on "Evaluating Wine", covering the basics of wine tasting, among other things. Check it out - it may be a bit challengining to find ALL the items listed so you can compare and identify the aromas in wine, but I think you should be able to find most of them in your local stores. Remember where the instructor says "fresh", she later says if fresh is not available you can substitute dried fruit, which I believe is available there. I would figure that you could even substitute a fruit jam where a fresh or dried fruit is nowhere to be found.

Bods, may I suggest that this could be one of the activities for your long-planned EB.

Sitting down with a glass of red in the garden right now. Lit candles and a couple of incense sticks. Ahhhh...nothing like good wine as a prelude to even greater sex. The sad thing is...there are only crickets in the garden. I am so dying for a kiss right now.

Happy Easter wine drinkers!

Sitting down with a glass of red in the garden right now. Lit candles and a couple of incense sticks. Ahhhh...nothing like good wine as a prelude to even greater sex. The sad thing is...there are only crickets in the garden. I am so dying for a kiss right now.

:* friendly smack on cheek,Happy Easter my friend.Enjoy your crickets,next easter you will only have ice and polar bears in your garden :(

when you're here in Manila, I will find a good garden for you to sip wine. I'm gonna bring a fleshy cabernet and some good...............

........crickets. I do hope madami pang crickets dito sa Manila :blush:

Happy Easter, ms. Rain.

I said "drinkable"!  :P  :lol:

Also - I'm speaking from the perspective of one buying and consuming wine in this part of the world - that is, the San Francisco Bay Area, where everything is pretty expensive. (OT - Have you checked out real estate prices around here lately? A run-down, 50 year old, fixer-upper in a slightly scary neighborhood - that is, the sounds of gunshots that are your nightly lullaby are more than 2 blocks away - 2-3 bedrooms 1 bath, about 1300 sq. ft./130 sq. m. -> $400,000. 20 million Pinoy pesos.)

Back to the subject at hand - fellow wine geeks, check out www.egullet.org. Scroll down a bit to the eGullet Culinary Institute board. Now running - a course on "Evaluating Wine", covering the basics of wine tasting, among other things. Check it out - it may be a bit challengining to find ALL the items listed so you can compare and identify the aromas in wine, but I think you should be able to find most of them in your local stores. Remember where the instructor says "fresh", she later says if fresh is not available you can substitute dried fruit, which I believe is available there. I would figure that you could even substitute a fruit jam where a fresh or dried fruit is nowhere to be found.

Bods, may I suggest that this could be one of the activities for your long-planned EB.

the idea sounds good..I'm gonna study that website.

thanks pare!

What did you have on Easter :P

the idea sounds good..I'm gonna study that website.

thanks pare!

What did you have on Easter :P

Ah yes - Easter dinner. A big thing around these here parts -

had my brother and his family, my sister-in-law and her kid, and a friend and his wife (kitchen's being renovated so they can't cook!) join us for Easter dinner. A great success in spite of a comedy of circumstances which was not so funny at the time. I meant to throw some meat on the grill (a marinated sirloin and some pork loin) - so I fired up the gas grill, all 48,000 BTU of it. BUT - the wind came up and I could never get the temprature up. The wind was so strong that it even blew the flames out at one point. So an hour after we had planned to be eating, my friend and i went over to his house to pick up some coals and cook the old fashioned way. It worked, and 3 hours after everyone showed up we finally sat down to dinner.

However, what that gave us the opportunity to do was - why, drink some wine, of course!

We started with a Merryvale Anitigua (a dessert wine - Moscato) "cocktail". You take a wine glass, drop in a few small cubes of ice (I know - heresy!!!), splash the antigua over it to the level of the ice, then take a Meyer lemon (a bit seeter and more "orange"-y than a regular lemon) and squeeze some juice in (to taste - I put about 1/2 tsp.).Stir and drink.

Then when THAT bottle was gone (which didn't take all that long, it seemed) we opened a 1995 Beaulieu Vineyards zinfandel. 1995 was rated the best vintage of the 90s for Napa Valley zins, and this was a prime example of why that was. Silky smooth, nicely rounded, well-integrated tannins and fruit, a loooooong finish. Red berries (and lots of 'em!), that characteristic black pepper finish. Some currant in the middle palate and plum at the back.

We followed that with the '97 Noah's zin I've raved about before. It started out rougher than the BV, but after a half hour or so, it came right in and after that you would have been hard pressed to pick one over the other.

A great success in the wine department!! We stuck to three bottles for the night, a low total for us given the number of drinkers, but it was all very pleasant anyway.

Hope you guys had a good Easter and a good Holy Week!

Ah yes - Easter dinner. A big thing around these here parts -

had my brother and his family, my sister-in-law and her kid, and a friend and his wife (kitchen's being renovated so they can't cook!) join us for Easter dinner. A great success in spite of a comedy of circumstances which was not so funny at the time. I meant to throw some meat on the grill (a marinated sirloin and some pork loin) - so I fired up the gas grill, all 48,000 BTU of it. BUT - the wind came up and I could never get the temprature up. The wind was so strong that it even blew the flames out at one point. So an hour after we had planned to be eating, my friend and i went over to his house to pick up some coals and cook the old fashioned way. It worked, and 3 hours after everyone showed up we finally sat down to dinner.

However, what that gave us the opportunity to do was - why, drink some wine, of course!

We started with a Merryvale Anitigua (a dessert wine - Moscato) "cocktail". You take a wine glass, drop in a few small cubes of ice (I know - heresy!!!), splash the antigua over it to the level of the ice, then take a Meyer lemon (a bit seeter and more "orange"-y than a regular lemon) and squeeze some juice in (to taste - I put about 1/2 tsp.).Stir and drink.

Then when THAT bottle was gone (which didn't take all that long, it seemed) we opened a 1995 Beaulieu Vineyards zinfandel. 1995 was rated the best vintage of the 90s for Napa Valley zins, and this was a prime example of why that was. Silky smooth, nicely rounded, well-integrated tannins and fruit, a loooooong finish. Red berries (and lots of 'em!), that characteristic black pepper finish. Some currant in the middle palate and plum at the back.

We followed that with the '97 Noah's zin I've raved about before. It started out rougher than the BV, but after a half hour or so, it came right in and after that you would have been hard pressed to pick one over the other.

A great success in the wine department!! We stuck to three bottles for the night, a low total for us given the number of drinkers, but it was all very pleasant anyway.

Hope you guys had a good Easter and a good Holy Week!

no wines for me last Easter as I am the only winedrinker in the family - kaya it was the same ole Pale Pilsen and a bottle of Jack Daniels :P

I've been reading and hearing about Merryvale and BV for a long time now kaya lang walang distributor nyan dito so hanggang imagine na lang...

Oh, yes!.....I love Red Wine!....Kapag meron kami get together ng mga female friends ko, ako lagi taga-dala ng red wine...Yun lagi contribution ko.

you sound like great company!

would you like to join our wine EB if and when there is one?

what reds do you usually drink?

your sig is eye-catching - Kleenex husbands :(

you know, women are like wines in a wine-tasting event - SNIFF, SIP, SWIRL, SPIT OUT :cool:

cheers! Have a nice day!

Im a love wines pero I don't have much knowledge on their names and kinds, maybe pwede nyo ko i orient.

I like tha last one I've tasted 2 days ago, its sweet and smooth. Ang tatak nya Moscatel by torres :)

welcome, pare!

if you backread through the thread madami kang matutunan sa wine (well, I hope so)..

For starters, which do you prefer ba - red or white?

Guest globetrotter

i do like red wine kaya lang di ako expert but i want to learn how to gauge whether its indeed good or not.hope this thread can help me.

i usually prefer merlot and red wines from chile.full body kasi at smooth.i dont prefer california red wines kasi usually fruity.sometimes i try red wines in the plane when im travelling kaya lang usually di masarap,mapait.

i do like red wine kaya lang di ako expert but i want to learn how to gauge whether its indeed good or not.hope this thread can help me.

i usually prefer merlot and red wines from chile.full body kasi at smooth.i dont prefer california red wines kasi usually fruity.sometimes i try red wines in the plane when im travelling kaya lang usually di masarap,mapait.

well the only expert here is sir agxo :P peace!

pare if you backread, there are posts here that may help you or inform..

yeah Chileans now are at par with the rest of the world - nadevelop na din yung wine industry nila, like what happened with Australia and South Africe - a lot of good wines there...

also, it's not advisable to take something alcoholic on a flight as it would worsen your jet lag - you're right, pare - kung magkaka-jet lag ka na din naman, better drink something excellent kesa yung mga mapakla na wines sa plane...

I do believe that in First Class mas maganda ang mga wines nila - what's your experience with this, pareng agxo?

well the only expert here is sir agxo :P  peace!

pare if you backread, there are posts here that may help you or inform..

yeah Chileans now are at par with the rest of the world - nadevelop na din yung wine industry nila, like what happened with Australia and South Africe - a lot of good wines there...

also, it's not advisable to take something alcoholic on a flight as it would worsen your jet lag - you're right, pare - kung magkaka-jet lag ka na din naman, better drink something excellent kesa yung mga mapakla na wines sa plane...

I do believe that in First Class mas maganda ang mga wines nila - what's your experience with this, pareng agxo?

Me? Expert? Surely you jest! I drink a lot. And read a lot. And fortunately have access to a lot of good wines. But that's about it!

I don't advise drinking a lot on the plane because it will dehydrate you, although I joke about my "four sctoches and eave me alone" method of flying across the Pacific. I actually will ask for abottle of water, break out my iPod and crash.

First class sometimes has good wines, but more often than not, the wines are not much better than in business. The only really, really good wines I've had in first are the bubblies, and I've been on many first class flights across the Pacific. (That's what happens when you fly to Japan every month - after a while the ground crew gets to know you and gives you perks.)

I once took a flight from Narita (Tokyo) to San Francisco - it was a Northworst flight - that was not very full at all, so the stewardess moved me from business to first. So naturally, I chatted her up, thanked her profusely, made her feel good - and complimented her on her choice of bubbly (of the two that were offered). At the end of the flight she gave me a present - a bottle of champagne. A Veuve Cliquot yellow label! Not the most expensive, but for the money one of my favorites.

i like to drink wine can anyone recomend good wines that are below 500 pesos. tnx

i think the best thing you could do here is go to a wine shop like, anthony's in yakal, wine depot, magnum at greenbelt, ______ (sorry i forgot the name) at podium lower lobby, santis in yakal, bacchus at the shangrila... and discover the wine yourself.

nothing beats the surprise of being able to pick out a wine and have a good experience with it. after all, what we may recommend may not suit your taste...

you know, women are like wines in a wine-tasting event - SNIFF, SIP, SWIRL, SPIT OUT :cool:

cheers again!

Quick question: Found a couple of 1L Chilean reds in a supermarket yesterday. One of those stored in Tetrapaks. Anyone care to elaborate on different forms (advantages/disadvantages) of storing wine?

By the way...it was drinkable.

as far as i know...just dont let the sun get to it or it might turn into vinegar. Also (correct me...) you have to store it on its side so the cork will not go dry and in a dark place...your cabinet will do. I placed some of my wines in my cabinet ad so far, ok pa naman silang lahat.