ok, double post....

As I said, we should be able to find a place that would not charge us corkage for the wines we would bring in. Of course, in return our food orders should be more than generous enough to compensate for the free corkage :P

Have a great day, everyone!

the venue is getting to be quite handle... hard to find a place that wouldnt be charging us corkage unless we order enough food... but it might defeat the purpose of the wine tasting since we will be too stuffed to drink wine... besides it may end up more expensive since we buy the wine and pay for the food pa!

maybe we should look into arranging a wine tasting session with a known wine merchant. say, magnum, we talk to the manager, introduce our group and tell them that we plan to have a "wine tasting eyeball" but we buy wines from them. maybe we can choose 2 to 3 labels and depending on the number of participants we buy more bottles. instead of bringing the bottle, we buy wine from magnum (we'll try to nego for discounts). i guess 1 bottle would be good for 5 to 6 participants (since we are just "tasting". average cost of bottle at mangnum between P800 to P1400.

another concern i have for the bring your own bottle type eb is that we will have too much to drink.... it's not bad but i just want to make sure we'll only be tipsy at the end of the evening, not drunk... hehehee.

pare I owe you one.....I really owe you one. Let's hook up before the EB and plan things out. Place of your choice.

Yeah the price range is among the things we have to iron out. P350 minimum is a safe bet for a wine while more than P500 is most welcome if the guest is generous enough :P

But I'm not keen on a minimum....I just don't want to see certain wines :lol:  :lol:

You are correct...the first gig should be a get-to-know-everyone thingie and should not be restricted by the bring-along wines....

The place is the main problem.....

owe me? for what? i agree we should plan the eb well enough so it will be time well spent getting to know each one in the group... just let me know when and were you want to meet, except weekends.

weeknights are fine... ortigas, makati, eastwood, morato... wag lang alabang... too far (sorry for those who live there)...

i think masi's suggestion to have it in magnum is good. :)

actually, if you guys are interested, we can have it at the fort--my friends own a few restaurants there. i'll ask if they won't charge corkage, if we decide to bring our own wines. or if they can give us discount if we decide to buy from them.

but magnum's cool too. :cool:

actually, if you guys are interested, we can have it at the fort--my friends own a few restaurants there. i'll ask if they won't charge corkage, if we decide to bring our own wines. or if they can give us discount if we decide to buy from them.

i like this idea too... don't know much about the places at the fort as i dont frequent the area.

another place to consider is cork at rockwell same owners of magnum....

we'll be glad to hear from you for suggestions and comments....

the venue is getting to be quite handle... hard to find a place that wouldnt be charging us corkage unless we order enough food... but it might defeat the purpose of the wine tasting since we will be too stuffed to drink wine... besides it may end up more expensive since we buy the wine and pay for the food pa!

maybe we should look into arranging a wine tasting session with a known wine merchant.  say, magnum,  we talk to the manager, introduce our group and tell them that we plan to have a "wine tasting eyeball" but we buy wines from them.  maybe we can choose 2 to 3 labels and depending on the number of participants we buy more bottles.  instead of bringing the bottle, we buy wine from magnum (we'll try to nego for discounts).  i guess 1 bottle would be good for 5 to 6 participants (since we are just "tasting". average cost of bottle at mangnum between P800 to P1400.

another concern i have for the bring your own bottle type eb is that we will have too much to drink....  it's not bad but i just want to make sure we'll only be tipsy at the end of the evening, not drunk... hehehee.

you hit it right on the button with that last paragraph of yours :P That was a concern too - if 6 people show up that would be six bottles. We'd get sloshed if we finish all of them. Now what I'm thinking is that we should not force ourselves to finish off all those bottles - what's left in your bottle you can take home. As you said, "tasting" lang naman hehehe.....

That Magnum idea sounds good but let's not get too formal with it. We just go there, order a wine of our choice, then proceed. Later on, and with further EB's in the place we can then introduce ourselves then perhaps go for a discount - 'ika nga pag naging suki na tayo.

Very good very good - the adventure is beginning to crystallize :)

owe me?  for what?  i agree we should plan the eb well enough so it will be time well spent getting to know each one in the group... just let me know when and were you want to meet, except weekends.

weeknights are fine... ortigas, makati, eastwood, morato... wag lang alabang... too far (sorry for those who live there)...

I owe you some drinks pare basta hehehe....

I'd like to meet with you for some pre-EB talk next week - your preferred day and place, pare. Basta 8pm onwards lang. Is that ok with you - para unwind din in the middle of the week :P

there's another good venue...I think magnum should be better as the Fort may not be that accessible to some but if we can get a no-corkage venue there dun na tayo :P

oh please don't remind me - I messed up the whole thing :(

kaya nga ba kinakabahan ako for the next one...

I'm such a poor organizer and a more notorious no-show :wacko:

Well, I guess I didn't help things any - I was already at Greenbelt with some photo friends, an waitied until after 9 pm to try to call Masi. Of course, he was gone on his way by then.......but where were MissM and Lana? Masi said both bailed at the last minute!! Bods called me earlier to say an emergency had come up.

Oh, well - next time..........I'm back in CA now so I'll miss the one being planned now. But maybe the next, or the next......and if that happens I can bring a couple of bottles from my collection.

Well, I guess I didn't help things any - I was already at Greenbelt with some photo friends, an waitied until after 9 pm to try to call Masi. Of course, he was gone on his way by then.......but where were MissM and Lana? Masi said both bailed at the last minute!! Bods called me earlier to say an emergency had come up.

Oh, well - next time..........I'm back in CA now so I'll miss the one being planned now. But maybe the next, or the next......and if that happens I can bring a couple of bottles from my collection.

well it sure sounds funny now :P

anyway, we're glad you made it back there...next time you would be our distinguished guest...

well it sure sounds funny now :P 

anyway, we're glad you made it back there...next time you would be our distinguished guest...

Guest would be great, but distinguished? I'm a wino, remember? How distinguished could I be? :D

Notes on BYOB at wine EBs - we have a regular wine/photo EB every Thursday here and we all tend to bring a bottle (or two) each. We end up drinking close to a bottle each, on the average, over about 3-4 hours. With food (even if it's just snacks) that seems to be okay. I tend to drink a half glass from each open bottle, so that will range from 2-4 glasses depending on how many show up. What we don't drink we save for the next week, or for the annual Christmas festivities. Good to be careful, though, and to know how much is enough.

My annual bad wine contest and burnt meat sacrificial rites (July 4th) has even higher consumption, but that's over a 6-8 hour period. No one goes home drunk.....the sofa and sleeping bags are available for anyone who's gone over the edge.

If you're ever around the SF Bay Area you're welcome to join us!

I got hold of this book called THE WRATH OF GRAPES.....

some interesting commentary on wines, the wine industry, and wine as a hobby and business...

It says that if you are thinking of going into wines as a business, remember the dictum:

NOBODY REALLY NEEDS WINE.

:P  :P  :P

How to make a small fortune - start with a big one and open a winery! :lol:

Guest would be great, but distinguished? I'm a wino, remember? How distinguished could I be?  :D

Notes on BYOB at wine EBs - we have a regular wine/photo EB every Thursday here and we all tend to bring a bottle (or two) each. We end up drinking close to a bottle each, on the average, over about 3-4 hours. With food (even if it's just snacks) that seems to be okay. I tend to drink a half glass from each open bottle, so that will range from 2-4 glasses depending on how many show up. What we don't drink we save for the next week, or for the annual Christmas festivities. Good to be careful, though, and to know how much is enough.

My annual bad wine contest and burnt meat sacrificial rites (July 4th) has even higher consumption, but that's over a 6-8 hour period. No one goes home drunk.....the sofa and sleeping bags are available for anyone who's gone over the edge.

If you're ever around the SF Bay Area you're welcome to join us!

...but you're the top honcho as far as wine knowledge is concerned...we're all winos - you're the distinguished wino :P

Now we can pick up an idea or two on how we go about our wine EB's - thanks pare! Sometimes too, especially on a New Year's Eve I can consume up to a bottle all by myself. With great company I guess that wouldn't be as difficult - pero I've experienced drinking different wines in a wine tasting event I went to - reds, whites, cabs, merlots, chards, shiraz, semillons - pag halo-halo nakakalasing talaga :P so moderation is the key to the EB dahil we will get to taste different wines...

thanks pare for the invite! I will if ever I get to the States...

Edited by bods1000
How to make a small fortune - start with a big one and open a winery!  :lol:

pare you've read the book na pala - that line is there!

So many otherwise sensible people have gotten into the wine business only to lose their shirts. Like Leland Stanford who made his fortune in railroads. He invested so much in a winery in the late 1800's only to succumb to a number of factors which led to his winery's demise...

...but you're the top honcho as far as wine knowledge is concerned...we're all winos - you're the distinguished wino :P

Now we can pick up an idea or two on how we go about our wine EB's - thanks pare! Sometimes too, especially on a New Year's Eve I can consume up to a bottle all by myself. With great company I guess that wouldn't be as difficult - pero I've experienced drinking different wines in a wine tasting event I went to - reds, whites, cabs, merlots, chards, shiraz, semillons - pag halo-halo nakakalasing talaga :P so moderation is the key to the EB dahil we will get to taste different wines...

thanks pare for the invite! I will if ever I get to the States...

We don't mix wines as much at our Thursday EBs since we're all red drinkers. Usually a zin or three, sometimes a cab, often a syrah, occasionally a merlot (we're turning into the ABM crowd! Anything But Merlot! :lol: ). When tasting a LOT of wines, I now do the 4S (swirl, sniff, sip, swish, spit) routine, that way I can taste ore wines. What I don't spit, I pour out into the spit buckets. It's an exceptional wine that I not only swallow but drink the whole tasting portion (about 1-2 oz.).

This weekend is the lobster bisque/syrah release party at Mitchell Katz in Livermore. Let's see what this year's release tastes like - I may be bringing home nothing, or a whole case.........

pare you've read the book na pala - that line is there!

So many otherwise sensible people have gotten into the wine business only to lose their shirts. Like Leland Stanford who made his fortune in railroads. He invested so much in a winery in the late 1800's only to succumb to a number of factors which led to his winery's demise...

Haven't read the book yet - but great minds think alike, I guess! :P

Fremont lost its last winery a few years ago - Weibel Winery in the Mission San Jose area. They tore up the vines and planted houses instead. Million-dollar houses, no less. And called it Vineyard Run or something like that. Except the vineyard is gone. :( This was one of the areas that STanford considered for his "farm" and university before he chose Palo Alto.

We don't mix wines as much at our Thursday EBs since we're all red drinkers. Usually a zin or three, sometimes a cab, often a syrah, occasionally a merlot (we're turning into the ABM crowd! Anything But Merlot!  :lol: ). When tasting a LOT of wines, I now do the 4S (swirl, sniff, sip, swish, spit) routine, that way I can taste ore wines. What I don't spit, I pour out into the spit buckets. It's an exceptional wine that I not only swallow but drink the whole tasting portion (about 1-2 oz.).

This weekend is the lobster bisque/syrah release party at Mitchell Katz in Livermore. Let's see what this year's release tastes like - I may be bringing home nothing, or a whole case.........

the difference nga daw of wine with other alcoholic beverages is that wine should not be used for intoxication - kaya pwede nga sa wine tasting where you get to take a sip there, a sip here of different wines. Wine is taken in small amounts mostly during mealtimes....

I remember when Gallo tried to circumvent this wine wisdom by making Thunderbird. In Gallo's haste to make more profits, they invented Thunderbird which is a wine spiked by alcohol and they aggressively marketed this to skid-row alcoholics.

Gallo in part has been responsible for demeaning wine by making and exporting abroad cheap low-quality wines and jug wines :blink: The presence of new-generation Gallos like Gina Gallo has tried to improve their image by now making fine-quality wines but the operations still is tightly controlled by the oldies in Modesto.....(these information I learned from the The Wrath of Grapes.....).

Haven't read the book yet - but great minds think alike, I guess!  :P

Fremont lost its last winery a few years ago - Weibel Winery in the Mission San Jose area. They tore up the vines and planted houses instead. Million-dollar houses, no less. And called it Vineyard Run or something like that. Except the vineyard is gone.  :(  This was one of the areas that STanford considered for his "farm" and university before he chose Palo Alto.

A lot of vineyards and new vineyard owners fell victim to those amateur researchers at UC-Davies who recommended a vine strain which is susceptible to the vine louse Phylloxera - which eats at the roots making the vines less and less capable of bearing wine-quality fruits.

hey guys. theres a new wine shop in legaspi park condo. its called cyrano. they have a great selection of bottles from australia to chile. check it out. you might wanna have ur weekly EB there cuz they also have a few tables around. and oh. no corkage. the owner alex can serve it to you ala butler if you want. hehehe. cyrano: 7502595.

Pasingit lang po.

I tried and prefer the cabernet sauvignon and zinfandel than the merlot. Merlot has a bitter after taste which I never noticed with the cab and zin.

I tried drinking red wine every night before but when my blood sugar shoot up I was advice by my doctor to stay away from these for a while, but as said I love drinking wines instead of liqours or beers. Maybe the moment my blood sugar stabilized I may start again.

Anyway, thank you for this thread.