Finally opened that bottle of Ravenswood Zins Vitners Blend 2000 Christmas eve and what can I say? I am in love!  Wow.  It's fantastic and I love that whole warm glow melting in the mouth sensation it delivers soon as it embraces the palate.  Kinda reminds me of that real nice drop of St. Hugo I had many months ago in Syd.  Thanks for the reco!  I think I'll stop drinking anything else for a bit and stick to this drop for the meantime.

agxo3, I haven't tasted limoncito but something similar to that called limoncello was featured as a Vretreria home-made drink in the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun."  What they do (daw since I can't verify just how real this recipe is) is to take the skin off the lemon, put the peeled lemon in a bottle with 3/4 of alcohol and 1/4 sugar.  Afterwhich the skin of the lemon is placed back in the mixture until the drink achieves the right color.  Of course this was all explained as the character Marcello was trying to charm the pants off Frances. :lol: It looked quite delectable on screen --- so did Marcello! :lol:

Hey! Glad you liked the Ravenswood.They do make nice, nice wines. They make lots of single-vineyard zins as well! Monte Rosso is probably the best.

axgo3, found a recipe of the lemon liqueur for you ... reads easy so it may be easy to DIY. Cheers!

Italian Limoncello

Had another version, this time one called limoncino. All of these seem to be pretty similar - the major differences being in the name. Most are a liquers made from some distilled spirit (vodka, grappa) and lemon rinds. The version I had uses the rind from the Lisbon lemon. the limoncino was an Italian concoction and used native italian lemons - I don't know what variety. similar, but the local version was a tad sweeter and a bit more visuous.

On the topic of wierd and wonderful wines - has anyone tried a sparling syrah (shiraz to you Ozzies)? I tried it a couple of months back, then my daughter had it when we went out to dinner last week. It's from an Australian winery called Vixen. Very red, with all that you'd expect from a syrah. Robust, loads of berries, some smoke and leather. but at the same time it was bubbly and fruity. Strange......but nice. Haven't found a retailer here yet that sells it, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I do!

Guest the_eight_of_orbs

You guys might wanna drop by my friend's wine bar.

CYRANO Wine Selections

Upper Ground Floor

Legaspi Park View Condominium

Carlos Palanca corner Legaspi Street

Legaspi Village, Makati

Just look for Alex, Criselda or JP

;)

and there's a salon right besid it where you can have the most cost efficient hair, nail and massage treatments while having a cup of Illy Cafe Crema or a glass of fine wine from CYRANO. Oh but they won't serve you wine if you're getting a massage.

:)

hallo!

em bak!

Last holiday season I got to taste the Grant Burge, the Ravenswood and a Nathanson Creek white zin, but winning by a mile is still that Moss Bros. 2001 Shiraz we had on Christmas Day! And it's not even the best vintage (I'm still undecided on when to open the best - 2000). Ewan ko siguro nasanay na lang panlasa ko sa shiraz but the Grant Burge was a Barossa shiraz and it left me cold and unimpressed. Siguro may kakaiba sa Margaret River shiraz because another great wine I had last year was a Watershed - courtesy of the great Z!..

cheers guys!

Here's to more great wine this year :P

You guys might wanna drop by my friend's wine bar.

CYRANO Wine Selections

Upper Ground Floor

Legaspi Park View Condominium

Carlos Palanca corner Legaspi Street

Legaspi Village, Makati

Just look for Alex, Criselda or JP

;)

and there's a salon right besid it where you can have the most cost efficient hair, nail and massage treatments while having a cup of Illy Cafe Crema or a glass of fine wine from CYRANO. Oh but they won't serve you wine if you're getting a massage.

hey tips like this are priceless!

thanks a lot, eight!

I'll try to find time to go there when I'm in the area...

...uhmmm I'll bring my own wine during the massage if they don't serve it :lol:

Finally opened that bottle of Ravenswood Zins Vitners Blend 2000 Christmas eve and what can I say? I am in love!  Wow.  It's fantastic and I love that whole warm glow melting in the mouth sensation it delivers soon as it embraces the palate.  Kinda reminds me of that real nice drop of St. Hugo I had many months ago in Syd.  Thanks for the reco!  I think I'll stop drinking anything else for a bit and stick to this drop for the meantime.

agxo3, I haven't tasted limoncito but something similar to that called limoncello was featured as a Vretreria home-made drink in the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun."  What they do (daw since I can't verify just how real this recipe is) is to take the skin off the lemon, put the peeled lemon in a bottle with 3/4 of alcohol and 1/4 sugar.  Afterwhich the skin of the lemon is placed back in the mixture until the drink achieves the right color.  Of course this was all explained as the character Marcello was trying to charm the pants off Frances. :lol: It looked quite delectable on screen --- so did Marcello! :lol:

did they have the 2000? I was looking for that but all I saw was the 2001 and 2002....

"IT WON'T HUR TO TRY ONE"

Hi guys, I was wondering if you are interested in purchasing some french wine, It's a bordeaux superieur 1990 and I have 3000 bottles. I'm selling it for anoy 140 per bots and I can have it delivered to your house. one case is 12 bottles just IM me if interested. this was the last batch that was left last christmas which I sold for 200 each.

post-30494-1105637017.jpg

post-30494-1105637077.jpg

Hi guys, I was wondering if you are interested in purchasing some french wine, It's a bordeaux superieur 1990 and I have 3000 bottles. I'm selling it for anoy 140 per bots and I can have it delivered to your house. one case is 12 bottles just IM me if interested. this was the last batch that was left last christmas which I sold for 200 each.

Couldn't find anything about this specific wine, but the 1990 vintage is weel-regarded by most bordeaux experts (such ad Robert Prker and James Suckling) as being among the finest of the 90s decade, and among to top 20 of the century. Meaning overall the year produced some pretty damn good wines. So the question is - how well have these wines been stored? 15 years - lots of opportunites for storage to go wrong! If it's not been well stored, it'll be rather unpleasant to drink. If, OTOH, it's been properly cared for, it had a good chance of being a VERY nice wine.

excuse my ignorance... want to know more about wines...

What does it mean when you say bordeaux? merlot? cabernet sauvignon? I assumed that when you refer to a certain type of wine, it means that it comes from a specific region/plantation. Then why do I see merlot's and cabernet's from countries other than France?

excuse my ignorance... want to know more about wines...

What does it mean when you say bordeaux? merlot? cabernet sauvignon? I assumed that when you refer to a certain type of wine, it means that it comes from a specific region/plantation. Then why do I see merlot's and cabernet's from countries other than France?

France and Italy (to a great degree, but not 100%) label their wines by region (sometimes referred to as appellation) - hence, burgundy wines are from the Burgundy region whihc includes Romanee-Conti south to around Beaune and the Cote de Beaune. Bordeaux are from the bordelais region around ST. Emilion, Medoc, etc. Chiantis are from the chianti region in Tuscany (which is a part of Italy). Spain and Protugal generally follow a similar practice. Ports, for example are from Portugal. Champages are from the Champagne region of France - Reims, Epernay, Champillon, etc.

Cabernet sauvignon, merlot, chardonnay, suavignon blanc, etc., are the names of the grape varieties that are used to make the wines. The wines are made from the grapes exclusively (or at least a certain percentage - here in CA it's over 75%, I think). Some are blends, so you'll see a "bordeaux blend", sometimes called a red meritage that is generally cabernet sauvignon and merlot blended together, so called because bordeaux are generally with merlot, cab, or a blend of the two with some cabernet franc sometimes blended in for other characteristics. This is common practice in California (and the US as a whole), Australia, Chile, Argentina and the New World. IOW - not Europe.

General rules of thumb - bordeaux are merlot or cab or blends of the two. Burgundy is pinot noir (red) or chardonnay (white). Chablis is also chardonnay but from another part of France. Cote du Rhone is generally Grenache or syrah or a blend. Riojas (Spain) are usually tempranillo. Primitovo in Italy is zinfandel (or close enough to it! Both originated in Croatia). Chiantis are usually sangiovese. Champagnes are usually made with petit verdot (a red!!! grape), or if made with a white grape, it's usually chardonnay.

Hope this helps.

France and Italy (to a great degree, but not 100%) label their wines by region (sometimes referred to as appellation) - hence, burgundy wines are from the Burgundy region whihc includes Romanee-Conti south to around Beaune and the Cote de Beaune. Bordeaux are from the bordelais region around ST. Emilion, Medoc, etc. Chiantis are from the chianti region in Tuscany (which is a part of Italy). Spain and Protugal generally follow a similar practice. Ports, for example are from Portugal. Champages are from the Champagne region of France - Reims, Epernay, Champillon, etc.

Cabernet sauvignon, merlot, chardonnay, suavignon blanc, etc., are the names of the grape varieties that are used to make the wines. The wines are made from the grapes exclusively (or at least a certain percentage - here in CA it's over 75%, I think). Some are blends, so you'll see a "bordeaux blend", sometimes called a red meritage that is generally cabernet sauvignon and merlot blended together, so called because bordeaux are generally with merlot, cab, or a blend of the two with some cabernet franc sometimes blended in for other characteristics. This is common practice in California (and the US as a whole), Australia, Chile, Argentina and the New World. IOW - not Europe.

General rules of thumb - bordeaux are merlot or cab or blends of the two. Burgundy is pinot noir (red) or chardonnay (white). Chablis is also chardonnay but from another part of France. Cote du Rhone is generally Grenache or syrah or a blend. Riojas (Spain) are usually tempranillo. Primitovo in Italy is zinfandel (or close enough to it! Both originated in Croatia). Chiantis are usually sangiovese. Champagnes are usually made with petit verdot (a red!!! grape), or if made with a white grape, it's usually chardonnay.

Hope this helps.

this couldnt have been said any better!!! B)

agxo, you may want to add what are rose wines and such terminologies as vin de pays; vin de tableu; appellation controlle.

bods, i suggest we pin this comment so we can refer to those member who would want to be oriented to wines rather than asking them to read back, which could be quite cumbersome.

for those who are still feeling their way into wine drinking, most good restaurants have very good house wines.

the house selections are safe choices--taste-wise and cost-wise.

just remember the old rule: red for dark meat, white for white meat.

and no need to hold the glass only by the stem if it's a warm wine. the stem-holding only applies when the wine is chilled, as in the case of most whites.

and also, don't try to swirl the wine if you don't have the hand movements down pat. it might just swirl out of the glass and into your good outfit. ach.

happy drinking!

:flowers:

port is usually enjoyed after dinner. but there really is no ruling against having it with dinner.

a good cigar goes will with it, i heard.

smoking cigars (at any time of day), that i truly enjoy... with a glass of wine, rum, mojito, vodka, tequila, espresso, cognac, brandy, whiskey and heck even with coke or a glass of water. but havent tried it with port...

... i think i should....

for those who are still feeling their way into wine drinking, most good restaurants have very good house wines.

and no need to hold the glass only by the stem if it's a warm wine. the stem-holding only applies when the wine is chilled, as in the case of most whites.

and also, don't try to swirl the wine if you don't have the hand movements down pat. it might just swirl out of the glass and into your good outfit. ach.

happy drinking!

uh oh!!! :blink: these comments are pretty controversial.. am sure you'll get more than a handfull of opinions stating to the contrary....

the wine you drink is a personal choice... not dictated by what appears in the pages of high society magazines....

this couldnt have been said any better!!! B) 

agxo, you may want to add what are rose wines and such terminologies as vin de pays; vin de tableu; appellation controlle.

bods, i suggest we pin this comment so we can refer to those member who would want to be oriented to wines rather than asking them to read back, which could be quite cumbersome.

errr I don't have any clue on how to pin things hehehe....

smoking cigars (at any time of day), that i truly enjoy... with a glass of wine, rum, mojito, vodka, tequila, espresso, cognac, brandy, whiskey and heck even with coke or a glass of water.  but havent tried it with port...

... i think i should....

pare i finally got to taste some cigars - Montecristos they were - from some new-found Cypriot friends, of all people :P

they were nice, I should say (the cigars, I mean). But why is it I have to keep lighting it up - the ember keeps on dying out :P

Port is fortified wine - originally from Portugal (correct me if I'm wrong).

happy drinking!

A lot of conventions now have been turned on its head. Suffice it to say that old rules sometimes don't apply anymore. The safest bet is to match the wine with the sauce that the dish is cooked in. (On second thought, I don't know how that would be practicable :D )

House wines here are usually chosen from the distributor who gives out the best price and best perks if chosen, not on the quality. Passable, yes, but not a good introduction to the world of wine. I mean, Gato Negro, for godsake...

you are very correct in saying not to fall in line with the conventions of winedrinking....I mean, don't smell the cork :lol:

miss manners, we are happy to have you here in the Thread :)

Edited by bods1000