this couldnt have been said any better!!! B) 

agxo, you may want to add what are rose wines and such terminologies as vin de pays; vin de tableu; appellation controlle.

bods, i suggest we pin this comment so we can refer to those member who would want to be oriented to wines rather than asking them to read back, which could be quite cumbersome.

Thanks, Masi.

Okay - roses. Roses are perhaps the most misunderstood wines of all. The American abomination called "white zinfandel" is NOT a true rose. It's a semi-sweet. low alcohol, mass-produced concoction made from zinfandel juice and is more like grape juice with a tiny amount of alcohol added to it. The old guys here will understand when I say Boone's Farm.

Roses, sometimes called blush wines, are wines made from a red grape, but that have had the grapeskins removed from the juice part of the way through fermentation. Note that grape juice is generally white or very light in color, and that red wines get their color from the grape skins. Reds are fermented with the skins, whites have the skins removed. Roses are part of the way in between. They tend to have the same light, refreshing characteristics of whites with a bit of a tannic bite and a lot of the cherry/berry flavors normally associated with reds. True roses are generally dry albeit fruity Some examples would be the Bandols wines from the southern Rhone Valley.

Roses are best served slightly chilled and are a "summer" wine. Enjoyable with a light picnic lunch or dinner. I tend to think of wines in a food context, and what comes to mind with a good rose is a picnic with ham, a good potato or macaroni salad, and a good fresh baguette. A good rose is a SERIOUS food wine and is a much better accompaniment to red meats than many of the more robust, "big" red wines.

are ports considered as wine? how is it best taken and appreciated ... as a before- , with or after- dinner aperitif?

Ports are generally considered wines, although they're not made solely through fermentation of the grape juice. They are what's called fortified wines. That is, at some point before fermentation is ocmplete, brandy is added (this is the "fortified" part). The addition of brandy stops the fermentation process completely, leaving some ( alot!) of sugars in the wine. Hence, the sweetness.

Ports are typically enjoyed as an after-dinner drink, it being fairly heavy. That makes is less suitable as an aperitif (it would tend to fill you up instead!). Typically enjoyed with a strong, sharp cheese - English stilton for example. I usually enjoy it after dinner (the local port-style wines are pretty good!) with a cigar. Or, sometimes on a cool afternoon/evening if dinner will be late, with some cheese and some fruit.

Aperitifs are generally taken before dinner - as an appetizer, and aperitif, if you will. After dinner drinks are typically dessert wines - sauternes, ports, ice wines, or digestifs (or something to help you digest your food), such as the limoncito we talked about on this group just before the New Year.

Thanks, Masi.

Okay - roses. Roses are perhaps the most misunderstood wines of all. The American abomination called "white zinfandel" is NOT a true rose. It's a semi-sweet. low alcohol, mass-produced concoction made from zinfandel juice and is more like grape juice with a tiny amount of alcohol added to it. The old guys here will understand when I say Boone's Farm.

Roses, sometimes called blush wines, are wines made from a red grape, but that have had the grapeskins removed from the juice part of the way through fermentation. Note that grape juice is generally white or very light in color, and that red wines get their color from the grape skins. Reds are fermented with the skins, whites have the skins removed. Roses  are part of the way in between. They tend to have the same light, refreshing characteristics of whites with a bit of a tannic bite and a lot of the cherry/berry flavors normally associated with reds. True roses are generally dry albeit fruity Some examples would be the Bandols wines from the southern Rhone Valley.

Roses are best served slightly chilled and are a "summer" wine. Enjoyable with a light picnic lunch or dinner. I tend to think of wines in a food context, and what comes to mind with a good rose is a picnic with ham, a good potato or macaroni salad, and a good fresh baguette. A good rose is a SERIOUS food wine and is a much better accompaniment to red meats than many of the more robust, "big" red wines.

very nice, pareng agxo...

so that's why when I drank the Nathanson Creek White Zinfandel last holidays, I sensed there was something not right :P

uh oh!!!  :blink: these comments are pretty controversial.. am sure you'll get more than a handfull of opinions stating to the contrary....

the wine you drink is a personal choice... not dictated by what appears in the pages of high society magazines....

Not all are controversial - :)

I drink what tastes best with the food. I have had a good pinot noir with salmon and a good suavignon blanc with veal. I've had a hearty pinot grigio with a steak and a zinfandel with crab and shrimp cioppino. Pinot noir with turkey or roast chicken, and viognier with lamb. Reds for dark meats and whites for fish or white meats may still a good starting point but don't let them be a hard annd fast rule. What you're really looking for is body and flavor to stand up to or match with the food. NO wine goes well with a vinegar-based salad dressing, for example. The vinegar just kills the wine. Strong cheese don't go well with strong reds - they flavors will clash and you'll end up with a metallic tase in your mouth. OTOH, if you LIKE the taste of aluminum you may like that combination! :)

Reds wines tend to be served too warm, and whites too cold. "Room temperature" in most places in France tend to be a bit (a lot!!!) cooler than in Manila. I found reds to do best (for me - taste is subjective) at about 65 deg F, whites at 55 deg F. So I keep my reds in a wine fridge at 55 deg F and take them out to warm up for a half hour before dinner. Unless it's the winter like now then I take them out a day before! Hahahahaha! Like wise I keep my whites inthe fridge at 42 deg F until an hour before dinner then let them warm up a bit.

Swirling is an art - ba careful! If you're not used to it don't swirl your glass when someone wearing white is around you!

Lastly, "house wines". Just speaking for the SF Bay Area, and as a generalization (there are exceptions!!). "House" wines are cheap (they buy in bulk) tokens for the budget diner who doesn't demand good wine. It's not bad, but will rarely truly live up to the food (unless we're talking cheap food here as well!). A few local restaurants have really good house wines, but those are few and far between. Lark Creek Cafe, for example, has really good wines on its "house" list, as does Prima inWlanut Creek. Tomatina's house wine, OTOH, is truly atrocious. Best to ask what the house wine is, and let that be your guide.

hey guys:

has anyone of you tasted our very own MANGO WINE....

Mango Wine of the philippines has enjoyed rapid expansion to meet the growing demand from locals and

overseas visitors alike. maNY hotel's amd resort's now a days in the visaya's offers this kind of alternative.

try it... you'lll surely like it...

boww :mtc: :cool:

pare i finally got to taste some cigars - Montecristos they were - from some new-found Cypriot friends, of all people :P

they were nice, I should say (the cigars, I mean). But why is it I have to keep lighting it up - the ember keeps on dying out :P

Port is fortified wine - originally from Portugal (correct me if I'm wrong).

bods, you have fine and expensive tastes.. Montecristos happen to be my favorite cuban.. had 1 at havana bar just befoe christmas (was abit in a spending mode then)... pacing is very important in cigar smoking... cubans can be rolled quite tight compared to a dominican or local. it is best to take short puffs every to 10 to 15 seconds...

tradition dictates that there is nothing wrong in lighting up your cigar every now and then... what is important is you enjoy your time with it....

to me, the world stops when i'm smoking.

hey guys:

has anyone  of you tasted our very own MANGO WINE....

Mango Wine of the philippines  has enjoyed rapid expansion to meet the growing demand from locals and

overseas visitors alike. maNY hotel's amd resort's now a days in the visaya's offers this kind of alternative.

boww :mtc:  :cool:

is it available in metro manila? if so, where? been trying to get it but i dont know where to buy.

bods, you have fine and expensive tastes.. Montecristos happen to be my favorite cuban.. had 1 at havana bar just befoe christmas (was abit in a spending mode then)... pacing is very important in cigar smoking... cubans can be rolled quite tight compared to a dominican or local.  it is best to take short puffs every to 10 to 15 seconds...

tradition dictates that there is nothing wrong in lighting up your cigar every now and then... what is important is you enjoy your time with it....

to me, the world stops when i'm smoking.

well my friend graciously offered the Montecristos. It was expensive indeed - he said he bought it at around a thousand pesos. Montecristos is what I'd be having if I do have that extra dough.

Ok lang pala to light up every now and then...patingin-tingin pa ako sa paligid pag namatay yung cigar at sisindihan ko uli :P But it was very nice indeed! Where can I get decent Montecristos here, masi?

And do they come in the same size? What we had were thin ones about the length of an ordinary cigarette.

well my friend graciously offered the Montecristos. It was expensive indeed - he said he bought it at around a thousand pesos. Montecristos is what I'd be having if I do have that extra dough.

Ok lang pala to light up every now and then...patingin-tingin pa ako sa paligid pag namatay yung cigar at sisindihan ko uli :P But it was very nice indeed! Where can I get decent Montecristos here, masi?

And do they come in the same size? What we had were thin ones about the length of an ordinary cigarette.

i get mine at cafe havana at greenbelt. the no.3 (which is a personal favorite) sell at P690. they have no. 1 to 5. they have several brands from cohiba, partagas, R&J, etc. I havent been to Tabac (Peninsula) or Churchills (Shang Edsa) for years now. Kiplings (Mandarin) sell it more expensive.

It pretty annoying too if dies out on you, I too get a bit pissed. but like i've said, it's the pleasure of smoking that really matters.

you smoked the cigarillos, bitin yan!!! better try the corona.. fuller flavor and aroma, all the spice and pleasure.. you wont regret it.

i get mine at cafe havana at greenbelt.  the no.3 (which is a personal favorite) sell at P690.  they have no. 1 to 5.  they have several brands from cohiba, partagas, R&J, etc.  I havent been to Tabac (Peninsula) or Churchills (Shang Edsa) for years now. Kiplings (Mandarin) sell it more expensive.

It pretty annoying too if dies out on you,  I too get a bit pissed.  but like i've said, it's the pleasure of smoking that really matters.

you smoked the cigarillos, bitin yan!!! better try the corona.. fuller flavor and aroma,  all the spice and pleasure.. you wont regret it.

parang bitin nga eh!

I'll try your recommendation. Madami palang brands - I failed to note what brand I smoked that night.

very nice, pareng agxo...

so that's why when I drank the Nathanson Creek White Zinfandel last holidays, I sensed there was something not right :P

Yup! I've yet to taste a good "white zin". I even saw some "white merlot"!!! WTF???? Now a good rose of zin, syrah or even merlot - THAT I'd like to sample!!!

As for your comment about smelling the cork - there's little to be gained from smelling the cork, unless you are suspicious that the wine may be corked or cooked. If the wine is corked, the cork will have an off smell, what I describe as "wet and fermented gym socks". Even a bit of that "corkiness" can ruin a good wine. If it's cooked (stored at an elevated temperature too long), not only will you see traces of the wine pushing its way past the cork, you may pick up on a caramel or burnt sugar kind of smell.

Albert

Finally someone mentioned Absinthe. It is an old liquor or liquer, originally used in the 1800s It became a popular drink then and many people like Gaugin, Toulouse-Lutrec, Picasso, Hemingway, and Van Gogh used it to get a different high. I am also looking for it here but I saw a subsitute at Arellano's - which was made in France, but only has "extracts of Absinthe". The real deal is the absinthe you can get in Spain, Germany, or Czech Republic and contains wormwood extract. Interestingly, wormwood was used to purge tapeworms from people in the middle ages. The word wormwood in german is Vermouth (i.e. the italian vermouth has traces of this, that is why it is called vermouth).. If you ingest oure wormwood oil, however, you will die a horrible death. Hower, tinay amounts are ok. It is said that Van Gigh cut off his ear in an absinthe induced stupor, and presented the cut ear to his favorite prostitute as a gift.

The absinthe I also need to buy has at least 50 mg of Wormwood (Artemius absinthum). The thujone in wormwood produces a narcotic buzz that people like a lot. It is better than booze. Absinthe usually has 50-68% alcohol so you have to dilute it in water. If you watched Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola, Dracula put some absinthe in a glass, put a slotted spoon on top of the glass, placed a sugar cube on the spoon and poured cold water on the sugar cube. The green color changes to a milky-white.

Real absinthe has wormwood so you get a buzz. The so-called fake absinthe will just make you tipsy.

This is the hip drink of the New York set nowadays. You need at least 2-3 shots to make you fell "in the mood" for sex or otherwise. Much better than beer, although a tad expensive.

Yup! I've yet to taste a good "white zin". I even saw some "white merlot"!!! WTF???? Now a good rose of zin, syrah or even merlot - THAT I'd like to sample!!!

As for your comment about smelling the cork - there's little to be gained from smelling the cork, unless you are suspicious that the wine may be corked or cooked. If the wine is corked, the cork will have an off smell, what I describe as "wet and fermented gym socks". Even a bit of that "corkiness" can ruin a good wine. If it's cooked (stored at an elevated temperature too long), not only will you see traces of the wine pushing its way past the cork, you may pick up on a caramel or burnt sugar kind of smell.

Albert

yeah these are so-called wine conventions that turn off neophytes.

the only thing I do is to swirl the wine a little to see if it's got legs - no legs equals tepid wine...

Finally someone mentioned Absinthe.  It is an old liquor or liquer, originally used in the 1800s It became a popular drink then and many people like Gaugin, Toulouse-Lutrec, Picasso, Hemingway, and Van Gogh used it to get a different high.  I am also looking for it here but I saw a subsitute at Arellano's - which was made in France, but only has "extracts of Absinthe".  The real deal is the absinthe you can get in Spain, Germany, or Czech Republic and contains wormwood extract. Interestingly, wormwood was used to purge tapeworms from people in the middle ages.  The word wormwood in german is Vermouth (i.e. the italian vermouth has traces of this, that is why it is called vermouth)..  If you ingest oure wormwood oil, however, you will die a horrible death.  Hower, tinay amounts are ok.  It is said that Van Gigh cut off his ear in an absinthe induced stupor, and presented the cut ear to his favorite prostitute as a gift.

The absinthe I also need to buy has at least 50 mg of Wormwood (Artemius absinthum).  The thujone in wormwood produces a narcotic buzz that people like a lot.  It is better than booze.  Absinthe usually has 50-68% alcohol so you have to dilute it in water.  If you watched Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola, Dracula put some absinthe in a glass, put a slotted spoon on top of the glass, placed a sugar cube on the spoon and poured cold water on the sugar cube.  The green color changes to a milky-white.

Real absinthe has wormwood so you get a buzz.  The so-called fake absinthe will just make you tipsy.

This is the hip drink of the New York set nowadays.  You need at least 2-3 shots to make you fell "in the mood"  for sex or otherwise.  Much better than beer, although a tad expensive.

welcome to the thread!

If you backread a bit we've talked about cigars, opium, kava, etc. so you can inject any topic you like anytime :lol:

Gauguin flew into rages when he was under the spell of absinthe, and both he and Van Gogh had great and pointless fights when they were both under the influence of the drink...

hey guys:

has anyone  of you tasted our very own MANGO WINE....

Mango Wine of the philippines  has enjoyed rapid expansion to meet the growing demand from locals and

boww :mtc:  :cool:

Mango wine? I know about duhat wine (didn't like it!). Wine is nothing more than fermented fruit juice (most commonly, grape, but also berry, apple, pear......), so I guess mango is just as good a juice to ferment as any. Next chance I get, I will try it!

At dahil wala akong edit button, clarify ko lang na "Absinthe WAS banned in Europe" as it was said to have detrimental effects to the nervous system (as opposed to ruining your liver with most alcoholic drinks :P)

Gauguin flew into rages when he was under the spell of absinthe, and both he and Van Gogh had great and pointless fights when they were both under the influence of the drink...

Ahh... Ever notice how the greats were almost always drunkards? Edgar Allan Poe was a drunk, many notable literary philosophers were known to tip the bottle more than a few times and let's not forget the "artists" whose remarkable feats in the world of art were influenced by the intoxications of alcohol. Not that I really care too much about their personal lives. They make for interesting biographies and produced extraordinary literary as well as artistic expression. :lol: (Damn, kaya pala ang hirap magbasa ng philosophy. :lol: )

At dahil wala akong edit button, clarify ko lang na "Absinthe WAS banned in Europe" as it was said to have detrimental effects to the nervous system (as opposed to ruining your liver with most alcoholic drinks :P)

Ahh... Ever notice how the greats were almost always drunkards? Edgar Allan Poe was a drunk, many notable literary philosophers were known to tip the bottle more than a few times and let's not forget the "artists" whose remarkable feats in the world of art were influenced by the intoxications of alcohol. Not that I really care too much about their personal lives. They make for interesting biographies and produced extraordinary literary as well as artistic expression. :lol: (Damn, kaya pala ang hirap magbasa ng philosophy. :lol: )

I didn't even try to read philosophy...I'd rather drink and get the same buzz :P

I think there's some creative "demon" that has to be tamed always within these artists so they took to drink.

But for most of us, it's only some carnal "beast" that has to be calmed down by some cab or shiraz :P

Edited by bods1000
Guest the_eight_of_orbs

Tried it once. poured over a sugar cube sitting on a fork right above the flute-type kinda glass. then the "alcohol-ed" sugar cube is lit up, little flaming thing, and you drink it when all the sugar falls in the green alcohol. absof**kinglutely strong.

very bad when mixed with tequila. very baaad. indeed.

I think that bottle came from Japan. NOT sure... :unsure:

:upside:

MASI and BODS, i agree when you said that the old rules don't apply as much anymore. we drink as we please. if you drink often, and are conscious about what you drink and what food / cigar brings out the flavor of your wine, then you'l know when you want it, how you want it... yah know what i mean. :lol:

i don't care if my posts are incoherent. i just don't care anymore. :lol:

on that MANGO something... recently tried the MANGO RHUM i think made my the makers of Tanduay. ok lang. medyo ok with sprite. siguro okay tun if you blend it with vanilla ice cream, tapos may konting slices of ripe mango and grenadin syrup. :rolleyes: tingin ko lang.

F u c k i'm too jologs for this thread. :lol:

have you heard of "absinth"?  not the bar in makati but the liquor.

is it available in the PI? where?

Hi Eight ^_^ It sounds like the kind of drink I would normally stay away from. I can't tolerate (read: don't like) strong drinks. Hanggang SanMig light lang ako :lol: But sometimes, it's good to open a nice light wine and chat with a few buddies.

Thanks for the welcome, bods ~.^