Hey Bods! Ravenswood! If you like zins, pick up a Ravenswood. Or 2. Or 3. What the heck, pick up a case!!!  :D  The Lodi zin or the vintners reserve 2000 should be real good. Or, settle for the 2002 - still good.

Look for a report next week. I hope to get myself good and schnockered on those Coppola wines on Sunday. Gotta make up for this week without wine! :wacko:

Aside from shiraz, I just might get hooked on zinfandel if I do get a taste of a Ravenswood zin, so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one.....

I can't recall what vintage was on sale - I do hope it's the 2002.....

pare I've been reading some and I read that Ridge and Rancho Zabaco also makes some pretty good zins - how do they compare with Ravenswood?

cheers!

oh well...sayang talaga I wanted to hit two grapeskins with one stone last Sunday :D

Wine Depot is at Malugay corner Ayala, near Zuellig....I got so sign up as a member when I was there...

They have free tastings every Friday.....can we "accidentally" bump into each other there one of these days? what do you say?

ok, i know this place... thanks... sure that will be great thing to do to end a workweek... albeit, i'm pretty tied up tomorrow already... another wine bar you can go to is the store across santis in yakal, makati... it's in the same building of santis, it's just next door.

cheers.

Aside from shiraz, I just might get hooked on zinfandel if I do get a taste of a Ravenswood zin, so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one.....

I can't recall what vintage was on sale - I do hope it's the 2002.....

pare I've been reading some and I read that Ridge and Rancho Zabaco also makes some pretty good zins - how do they compare with Ravenswood?

cheers!

Ridge does make good zins, but they're a bit pricey. Rancho Zabaco makes a good zin, less $$ than the Ridge.

I heard Ridge got bought by a Japanese investment firm, but it may have been spun off again.......

If you can find a Sonoma Creek zin, preferably a 1999 or 2000, give that a trty as well.

Last, Seghesio is pretty consistently good with zins. Try the one with the blue foil. As with others, 1999 and 2000 were good, and 2002. 2001 less so - at least IM(not so)HO. :lol:

Just found out from my wife that she called Coppola too late to RSVP for Sunday's shindig, so we couldn't get in. :cry: So I guess I'll have to find another winery to go drown my sorrows in. Well, Kaz is having his winter sale, maybe I'll drive up to Sonoma instead of Napa. Kaz is a character, and makes a great wine to boot!

ok, i know this place... thanks... sure that will be great thing to do to end a workweek... albeit, i'm pretty tied up tomorrow already... another wine bar you can go to is the store across santis in yakal, makati... it's in the same building of santis, it's just next door.

cheers.

thanks I'll check out that place since I plan to go back to Anthony's...

As for Wine Depot I plan to be there on a Friday before Christmas - to check out what their tasting is like hehehe...and also to get some Ravenswoods to add to my holiday libation....

cheers!

Ridge does make good zins, but they're a bit pricey. Rancho Zabaco makes a good zin, less $$ than the Ridge.

I heard Ridge got bought by a Japanese investment firm, but it may have been spun off again.......

If you can find a Sonoma Creek zin, preferably a 1999 or 2000, give that a trty as well.

Last, Seghesio is pretty consistently good with zins. Try the one with the blue foil. As with others, 1999 and 2000 were good, and 2002. 2001 less so - at least IM(not so)HO.  :lol:

Just found out from my wife that she called Coppola too late to RSVP for Sunday's shindig, so we couldn't get in.  :cry: So I guess I'll have to find another winery to go drown my sorrows in. Well, Kaz is having his winter sale, maybe I'll drive up to Sonoma instead of Napa. Kaz is a character, and makes a great wine to boot!

unfortunately I don't think Sonoma Creek or Seghesio is available here...also for that matter Ridge or Rancho Zabaco.....but I always get surprised at what's suddenly available here...I mean I didn't think that Ravenswood or Blackstone or Grant Burge was here...next year I do hope that some new labels will find their way to our shores...

who is Kaz by the way :D

Went to the Livermore holiday wine event - hit just 5 wineries! Didn't like 2 of them, so no report other than that - Garre and Rios-Lovell.

Livermore Valley Cellars was hit and miss. They make some quirkily-named zins, and their latest in the "butt" series is - The Crack of Dawn (2003). zin blend - grapes from Amador County (Sierra foothills), and 3 local vineyards. Young, with a bit of green to it, but I think it will develop well over the next 3 years. Not a lot of pepper ont he finish - very fruity and juicy instead. Not a lot of tannins. Drink within 5 years. Alicante bouschet (2002) - tastes well at the winery but for some reason not when you fet it home. I'd pass on this one. Syrah (2002) - firm, full, but not as satisfying as others. I wonder why?

Wood Family Cellars - I LOVE their zin (2002)! Rich, full, pepper and fruit on the finish. Smooth and velvety. Their 2002 syrah is also very, very nice! Smooth, restrained tannins, loads of fruit, full in the mouth. Black cherries and strawberries! Yum!

Big White House - tasted out of the barrel. Not impressed, except for their tawny port (1999) that I ended up buyng a half-case of futures. To be realeased January. Deep tawny (almost ruby), nice toast and caramel from the barrel. Lots of depth. Great with a firm cheese (think parmesan) or an aged cheese (think stilton).

Didn't get to go to Coppola, and spent sunday goofing off instead. Sorry. A perennial recommendation from Coppola - Coppola Rosso. Red table wine, non-vintage. Best bang for the buck, other than the Rubicon (any vintage since 1995, although I favor the 95) at a member's discount.

Edited by agxo3
I wonder why nobody's releasing Coppola here.....

their Rosso might be a hit here - good value....

Not GOOD value, GREAT value! At $6.99 at Costco, you can't beat it! Full bodied, low tannins, fruit that won't quit. Light pepperiness (just a bit of zin usually blended in), nice red berries. the best "drink now" wine I know of - 2-buck Chuck and other pretenders notwithstanding.

when I was at Wine Depot I got hold of a P150 red varietal from Australia. It's called Crocodile Rock - a shiraz from Murray River. Nice fruit at the start but it tends to pucker up near the end :D But what the heck - at 150 talo-talo na hehehe...

Rosso should retail at about P350 here....

ever had this feeling of not being able to relate to a wine's description? I mean how many of us know the scent and taste of say, raspberry, or blackberry, or apricots, when used to describe a wine....

Enter Hardy's Stamp Series Chardonnay Semillon 2002, which says it has "aromas of peach, melon and subtle calamansi (!)" and which has a "calamansi finish". Now that would be easy to relate to :D

I wonder how the Aussie came to know of calamansi....

ever had this feeling of not being able to relate to a wine's description? I mean how many of us know the scent and taste of say, raspberry, or blackberry, or apricots, when used to describe a wine....

Enter Hardy's Stamp Series Chardonnay Semillon 2002, which says it has "aromas of peach, melon and subtle calamansi (!)" and which has a "calamansi finish". Now that would be easy to relate to :D

I wonder how the Aussie came to know of calamansi....

Hey we have calamansi here also - except it's called calamandre. I have no idea why......

And it's still not very well known, although those I've introduced to it really like the flavor.

Don't you have some of the jams available there, like blackberry and raspberry? Not much hint of the aromas, but at least you'll get some idea of the tastes, albeit somewhat on the sweet side. Strawberry is easy, and I think I saw cherries last time I was there.

One of our vendos took us out to dinner last night - Italian place. Lots of food, lots of wine. There were 8 of us and we went through 5 bottles! The first was a Silver Oak cab (2000) - a bit on the light side, not very tannic. All the usual cab flavors and aromas but just way too light-bodied. So we switched to a Jorday cab (2000) that was much, much nicer. Smoother, really full-bodied. Looks like I should go out and pick up a couple to stash under the house for another 2 years.

After dinner we went to a place called Vintage Wine Merchants foryet another bottle of wine! This time a Rosenblum zin, 2001, Monte Rosso vineyard. Spicy finish, but nicely rounded. Still a bit tanninc - could use a couple of years in the bottle. The pepper finish is really pronounced, but not obnoxious. Another wine I should go out and buy and hide for a few years.

Monte Rosso is a hill in Sonoma county just outside Healdsburg that is well known for producing zin grapes of the highest quality. Both Rosenblum and Ravenswood have been buying the grapes for all these years, but I heard that last year was the last for both wineries. Seems Gallo has bought the property and wants to keep the good grapes for itself.

really... i hope i can drink too....its just that everytime i try to taste one i started go uhhh no thanks

there's really nothing to it....

it should be a pleasurable experience, unless you cant drink for medical reasons.

learning from experienced company will also help...

keep on reading this thread and you will get some insights which could lead you to trying it...

share your experience after... there are no experts here, we merely appreciate the wines that come our way.

Hey we have calamansi here also - except it's called calamandre. I have no idea why......

And it's still not very well known, although those I've introduced to it really like the flavor.

Don't you have some of the jams available there, like blackberry and raspberry? Not much hint of the aromas, but at least you'll get some idea of the tastes, albeit somewhat  on the sweet side. Strawberry is easy, and I think I saw cherries last time I was there.

yup, and I also saw an apricot jam...but these are processed fruits. It might mislead, you know :D

Funny how those fruits are named....the Mexican jicama is I think the singkamas and of course, chayote is our sayote...

One of our vendos took us out to dinner last night - Italian place. Lots of food, lots of wine. There were 8 of us and we went through 5 bottles! The first was a Silver Oak cab (2000) - a bit on the light side, not very tannic. All the usual cab flavors and aromas but just way too light-bodied. So we switched to a Jorday cab (2000) that was much, much nicer. Smoother, really full-bodied. Looks like I should go out and pick up a couple to stash under the house for another 2 years.

After dinner we went to a place called Vintage Wine Merchants foryet another bottle of wine! This time a Rosenblum zin, 2001, Monte Rosso vineyard. Spicy finish, but nicely rounded. Still a bit tanninc - could use a couple of years in the bottle. The pepper finish is really pronounced, but not obnoxious. Another wine I should go out and buy and hide for a few years.

Monte Rosso is a hill in Sonoma county just outside Healdsburg that is well known for producing zin grapes of the highest quality. Both Rosenblum and Ravenswood have been buying the grapes for all these years, but I heard that last year was the last for both wineries. Seems Gallo has bought the property and wants to keep the good grapes for itself.

does Gallo make zins, or are they planning to?

As for your dinner jaunt, I expected Italian restos to have Italian wines :D

Talking about Ravenswood, I haven't yet been back to WineDepot..............My schedule might free up next Friday, in time for their free tasting :evil:

really... i hope i can drink too....its just that everytime i try to taste one i started go uhhh no thanks

well masi said it correctly.....

May I ask what type of licquor are you familiar with, or regularly drinking?

I have a feeling that the wines you've been trying to drink are of the forgettable types...the really supreme ones would make you want to go for more....

cheers!

does Gallo make zins, or are they planning to?

As for your dinner jaunt, I expected Italian restos to have Italian wines :D

Talking about Ravenswood, I haven't yet been back to WineDepot..............My schedule might free up next Friday, in time for their free tasting :evil:

Yeah they do, but Chiantis and super Tuscans were just not what the group wanted, so we went with a CA cab (two in this case ;D).

I think Gallo of Sonoma (their high-end label) does make a zin, but am not sure. Gallo in general is just not what I'm interested in.

Well what are you drinking?

Two things when you're just starting out with wine -

1) Find out what poeple like and why, and then go from there. Find someone whose taste matches yours and use them as a reference. Don't be afraid to spend a bit on the good stuff. You can then develop your GOOD wine list and your everyday drinking wine list.

2) most people start with a friendly wine - typically a white (say, a pinot grigio/pinot gris or a sauvignon blanc) and move to reds from there. If you want to start with reds, start with the approachable reds - merlot, grenache, or a bordeaux blend. Don't start with the big or tannic wines - they'll put you off right quick. Some people start with dessert wines, although these tend to be a bit expensive. The late harvest wines are probably your best bet here - not an icewine, and definitely not a fortified wine like port. The late harvests are a bit sweet, but retain the charactersitics of the fruit rather nicely.

Remember - not all wines are created equal, and while $$ does NOT == quality, the lower the cost the greater the chances of poor quality. The same varietal (say, a cabernet sauvignon) from different wineries can give you totally different experiences. Tasting is all part of the fun, as is throwing out a wine you just plain hate!

I host an annual event at my home called the Bad Wine Contest. It started as a joke when a friend discovered some wines he had stored in his UNINSULATED garage for a few years. Without a doubt, they had been cooked horribly. We brought a few to my July 4th backyard BBQ and the Bad Wine Contest was born! Now everyone buys a wine they had never heard of before and have no idea what it's like. We pop them all (last year we had a dozen bottles!) and go tasting. This is after we've had a few beers and mor than a few bottles of good wine, so EVERYTHING should taste good at this point. But no - some never get past the sniff test. Others make it to the first sip. The REALLY bad wines go to fertilize one specific tree in my yard, and man, is that tree big!

Well what are you drinking?

Two things when you're just starting out with wine -

1) Find out what poeple like and why, and then go from there. Find someone whose taste matches yours and use them as a reference. Don't be afraid to spend a bit on the good stuff. You can then develop your GOOD wine list and your everyday drinking wine list.

2) most people start with a friendly wine - typically a white (say, a pinot grigio/pinot gris or a sauvignon blanc) and move to reds from there. If you want to start with reds, start with the approachable reds - merlot, grenache, or a bordeaux blend. Don't start with the big or tannic wines - they'll put you off right quick. Some people start with dessert wines, although these tend to be a bit expensive. The late harvest wines are probably your best bet here - not an icewine, and definitely not a fortified wine like port. The late harvests are a bit sweet, but retain the charactersitics of the fruit rather nicely.

Remember - not all wines are created equal, and while $$ does NOT == quality, the lower the cost the greater the chances of poor quality. The same varietal (say, a cabernet sauvignon) from different wineries can give you totally different experiences. Tasting is all part of the fun, as is throwing out a wine you just plain hate!

I host an annual event at my home called the Bad Wine Contest. It started as a joke when a friend discovered some wines he had stored in his UNINSULATED garage for a few years. Without a doubt, they had been cooked horribly. We brought a few to my July 4th backyard BBQ and the Bad Wine Contest was born! Now everyone buys a wine they had never heard of before and have no idea what it's like. We pop them all (last year we had a dozen bottles!) and go tasting. This is after we've had a few beers and mor than a few bottles of good wine, so EVERYTHING should taste good at this point. But no - some never get past the sniff test. Others make it to the first sip. The REALLY bad wines go to fertilize one specific tree in my yard, and man, is that tree big!

...didn't know that wine could fertilize trees :lol:

When I was starting out, it helped that I began immersing myself in wine literature.

It somehow made me want to explore the variety of wines I've been reading about

and it surely whet my appetite for what's out there...

pareng agxo, are you familiar with Anderson Valley wines?

I've been reading just now and it says that because of its isolation, it attracted countercultural types back when it started as a winemaking region. Hippies from the Haight, dropouts from Berkeley - those sort of types....some even planted marijuana between the vines and it was rumored that a noted winemaker there even made a wine infused with the illegal herb :D

Now that would be something!

pareng agxo, are you familiar with Anderson Valley wines?

I've been reading just now and it says that because of its isolation, it attracted countercultural types back when it started as a winemaking region. Hippies from the Haight, dropouts from Berkeley - those sort of types....some even planted marijuana between the vines and it was rumored that a noted winemaker there even made a wine infused with the illegal herb :D

Now that would be something!

Yeah - Anderson Valley is just north of Healdsburg in Sonoma County. It's about an hour and a half drive from where I live, north through Novato, Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Rhonert Park, Windsor (home of Windor Vineyards) to Healdsburg (home to a LOT of good wineries including J, Armida, Silver Oak, Seghesio........). Get off the 101, head east.

Nice weather for zins - gets nice and hot in the summer but the winters stress the hibernating vines with the cold and rain. Inland fog, but not much of the marine layer, so I don't think pinot noir does well there, as opposed to the Russian River.

No more of the "special" wines. Those hippies have grown up and discovered the joys of the Alcohol Control Board, commonly known as the ABC. I recently visited the Sausal Winery - one of those supposedly started by refugee hippies. They make some old vine zins from vines that are over 100 years old. Wow - is all I can say. Big bruisers - lots of alcohol, but also lots of fruit. I do think they'll only last another 5 years at the most, though. They just seem so fragile underneath all that.

The same article says that pinot noir is now the focus of "a collective concentration of interest" in the valley. They believe pinot noir is the future of the valley as vineyards expand up the slopes - as long as they're properly trellised. They agree that higher elevations will produce elegant, light-bodied and deep-flavored pinots, though if will take ten years to know. As of now I think Anderson Valley is noted for their gewurtztraminers....

Now why is it that pinot noirs are quite expensive?