hey guys. theres a new wine shop in legaspi park condo. its called cyrano. they have a great selection of bottles from australia to chile. check it out. you might wanna have ur weekly EB there cuz they also have a few tables around. and oh. no corkage. the owner alex can serve it to you ala butler if you want. hehehe. cyrano: 7502595.

pare thanks for the info - we'll try to check that out :)

A lot of vineyards and new vineyard owners fell victim to those amateur researchers at UC-Davies who recommended a vine strain which is susceptible to the vine louse Phylloxera - which eats at the roots making the vines less and less capable of bearing wine-quality fruits.

Weibel was a very old winery - went back a hundred years or so. Pre-phylloxera vines, and resistant, no less! But - progress cannot be held back. The area is now a "desirable" area for yuppies, and land values in the district skyrocketed. The land became more valuable for residential use than for growing grapes, so they sold the land, pocketed the cash and went off to live in less expensive areas. Weibel as a brand can still be found in some places - their Green Hungarian is still available in the Central Valley, places like Lodi. Not one of their best, but perhaps the one they will be most remembered for.

New vines, of course, all have rootstock that is louse-resistant. Good news, but the acreage of "old vines" - over 50 years old - is shrinking rapidly. Too bad - old vines generally produce wines of great complexity.

Pasingit lang po.

I tried and prefer the cabernet sauvignon and zinfandel than the merlot.  Merlot has a bitter after taste which I never noticed with the cab and zin.

I tried drinking red wine every night before but when my blood sugar shoot up I was advice by my doctor to stay away from these for a while, but as said I love drinking wines instead of liqours or beers. Maybe the moment my blood sugar stabilized I may start again.

Anyway, thank you for this thread.

yeah pare, merlot sucks! How do you find shiraz, pare?

I don't know how wine alone will make your blood sugar shoot up - unless you take it in excess. Baka pare there are other parts of your diet that contributes to your high blood sugar - nadamay na lang ang wine :P ang alam ko beer is quite risky dahil katumbas daw ng 5 tablespoons ang sugar content nito..

Pre follow your doctor's advice - no need to rush things. Enjoy wine later, ok?

Weibel was a very old winery - went back a hundred years or so. Pre-phylloxera vines, and resistant, no less! But - progress cannot be held back. The area is now a "desirable" area for yuppies, and land values in the district skyrocketed. The land became more valuable for residential use than for growing grapes, so they sold the land, pocketed the cash and went off to live in less expensive areas. Weibel as a brand can still be found in some places - their Green Hungarian is still available in the Central Valley, places like Lodi. Not one of their best, but perhaps the one they will be most remembered for.

New vines, of course, all have rootstock that is louse-resistant. Good news, but the acreage of "old vines" - over 50 years old - is shrinking rapidly. Too bad - old vines generally produce wines of great complexity.

what is it about old vines, pare?

What I know is that old vines are low-yield, thereby producing grapes with concentrated flavors.

yeah pare, merlot sucks! How do you find shiraz, pare?

I don't know how wine alone will make your blood sugar shoot up - unless you take it in excess. Baka pare there are other parts of your diet that contributes to your high blood sugar - nadamay na lang ang wine :P ang alam ko beer is quite risky dahil katumbas daw ng 5 tablespoons ang sugar content nito..

Pre follow your doctor's advice - no need to rush things. Enjoy wine later, ok?

Well, yes and no - I'm rapidly becoming a charter member of the ABM club, but not because I think merlot sucks. I just think it's too generic. Nothing really stands out. A great blending grape but it has to be truly exceptional to stand on its own. Having said that - I have a case (give or take) left of a '98 Noah's estate-grown merlot that is one of the exceptional ones. Also note that many of the highly prized Bordeaux are merlot.

I haven't noticed the bitter aftertase mentioned in the good merlots I've had. However, I have noticed that way too many wines these days have a "green" taste to them - like some stems or seeds got crushed along with the grapes. Perhaps that is what you tasted. Give other, more highly regarded merlots a chance and you may find that you like them. And - all things in moderation. A glass or two of wine with your meal should be okay, even with your high sugar, but not mor than that. The more dry the wine, the better, obviously. Stay away from the sweet whites, dessert wines, late harvests, ports and other fortified wines.

I'm tending to syrahs (shiraz is the same thing) and zins. Or the Rhone varietals. Typically great fruit, bright flavors - but drink NOW, generally NOT for aging.

Even cabs are starting to lose their appeal for me, with some notable exceptions. Rubicon (mostly cab, a small amount of merlot and cab franc) for example. If you can get a '95, buy it! It's one of the most truly awesome examples of good winemaking in recent years - at least from California. The '99 is not too bad, nor is the '97 - but the '95 remains my favorite. No '98 - the grapes were just not good enough!

pare halos pareho lang tayo..I haven't tasted a lot of wines pero preferred drink ko lang talaga...I haven't tasted port like you do. Port is fortified wine - with a higher alcohol content (wine ranges from 10 to 15%), and I do think that port is not made anywhere else but in Portugal only.

I never realized Canadian Icewine is expensive. I think it has to do with the added process of chilling that makes the price prohibitive. Ordinary wine basically just goes through fermentation.

When I saw these Chinese wines, I never really bothered to try them because, well let's face it - do the Chinese know how to make wine? :D But knowing the Chinese, time will come when I think they will get the hang of making wine - and that's when I will get to taste their product.

Hmmm....riesling. i've heard so much about it and I have never personally tasted it . It's an indigenous German grape variety but it's cultivated everywhere now and Australians have gotten good at making superb rieslings. More often, rieslings are made into sweet dessert wines - the ones Australians call stickies.

Thanks, ccl for the contributions and hope you visit often. We can share some wines...

With due respect to your opinion sir....

Wine making in China has been existing since time immemorial. It is just that they do not have Nice grape varieties in the past, thats why they haven't produced one.

So far, China has made Chinese wine like Sake ( Rice Wine ) and So Chiu ( Potato Wine )

if you goto Japan, you will know...Japan has Suntory SoChyu (Wine/lambanog style ...like water )...

in Korea, they have "JINRO".

if you have tasted it Jinro...then it is almost the same to the Chinese rice wine.

the thing is...have you seen Chinese snake wine? a wine made from Rice Wine, with chinese herbs and cobra in it?

they are said to be beneficial to Man...specially in making our u know..Hard!

Wine making in China has been existing since time immemorial. It is just that they do not have Nice grape varieties in the past, thats why they haven't produced one.

So far, China has made Chinese wine like Sake ( Rice Wine ) and So Chiu ( Potato Wine )

if you goto Japan, you will know...Japan has Suntory SoChyu (Wine/lambanog style ...like water )...

if you have tasted it Jinro...then it is almost the same to the Chinese rice wine.

the thing is...have you seen Chinese snake wine? a wine made from Rice Wine, with chinese herbs and cobra in it?

hey pare you're most welcome!

we're here to share knowledge and what you gave out just enlightened me...sorry for the mistake.

I don't know why they won't have the same grape varieties that other countries have...pareho naman yata weather dun but is the soil the same? yeah, familiar kami sa sake and Suntory but thanks for the info about SoChiu and Jinro...may nabibili ba nyan dito?

Chinese snake wine? that sounds interesting...tamang-tama yan malapit na Valentines eh :P

ayan pareng CCL - you put me in a spot...nasan na ba yung chinese wine na yan eheheh...

ikaw ang unang iinom ng snake wine ha :P

hey pare you're most welcome!

we're here to share knowledge and what you gave out just enlightened me...sorry for the mistake.

I don't know why they won't have the same grape varieties that other countries have...pareho naman yata weather dun but is the soil the same? yeah, familiar kami sa sake and Suntory but thanks for the info about SoChiu and Jinro...may nabibili ba nyan dito?

Chinese snake wine? that sounds interesting...tamang-tama yan malapit na Valentines eh :P

ayan pareng CCL - you put me in a spot...nasan na ba yung chinese wine na yan eheheh...

ikaw ang unang iinom ng snake wine ha :P

Actually I would like to make some clarifications First Sake is not Chinese,I will repeat a short writeup from a book on spirits,Sake,Japans Traditional drink is made from rice and was considered a gift from the Gods in Japan,It was highly valued among the nobility, where it WAS INVENTED about two thousand years ago and until the end of the Meiji period when it began to be distributed among the common folk.In Real Life I am one of the Officers of the Manila Japan Travel agents and Hoteliers Association MJTHA,So trust me I know my Sake history,Regarding Soju it is a robust drink distilled from rice,yams,or tapioca and potent as toilet bowl cleaner.Regarding Wine s history in China,Western Wine making techniques did not start in China until 17th century,when the Jesuit missionaries started to grow grapes and make sacramental wine for mass.Hopefully this will clarify things :)

BTW JINRO is a brand of Soju,I dont know if you know Jinro is BAMBOO in korean,That is the reason the bamboo is on the label,it is Bamboo brand Soju,The proper word for grape wine is p odoju yam or tapioca vodka is soju and ginseng wine is insamju and their rice wine is Kyongju Pobju and YES I studied Korean :)

and theres no such thing as snake wine. its snake blood thats been known as an aphrodisiac. the ones you drink on the side streets of phat phong.

i have talked to alot of mainland and taiwanese chinese and they told me that the practice of drinking snake blood is being discouraged as it contains bacteria which maybe harmful to humans.

as for its so-called aphrodisiac properties... nothing beats a good wine being a good host.... you know what i mean...

i have talked to alot of mainland and taiwanese chinese and they told me that the practice of drinking snake blood is being discouraged as it contains bacteria which maybe harmful to humans.

as for its so-called aphrodisiac properties... nothing beats a good wine being a good host.... you know what i mean...

hehe pare I can see that you know your wine :P

in A COOK'S TOUR the author Bourdain sampled fresh cobra heart in Vietnam...fresh as in it was still palpitating when it was served to him...even had a picture of the bloody thing

...and in the Mekong Delta he suffered through a drinking binge in the forest...they were drinking Mekong rice wine - said that the damned thing tasted like toilet disinfectant. But he could'nt do a thing but drink because he was in the company of these so-called Vietnam war veterans - tough-looking thugs....

and theres no such thing as snake wine. its snake blood thats been known as an aphrodisiac. the ones you drink on the side streets of phat phong.

Pare, with all due respect, it's the snake's apdo, not the blood, that is mixed with some shoktong in a small glass that is drunk by mainly old men around Lumpini Park to reinvigorate themselves. No one sells the stuff in Patpong; there's too much p***y already in Bangkok's red light area for all men!

If you really want something exotic, go to Vietnam. There are merchants there who sell wine in dark green bottles...also in the wine is a gecko!

what is it about old vines, pare?

What I know is that old vines are low-yield, thereby producing grapes with concentrated flavors.

A lot of it has to with just maturity. Older vines are more mature and therefore put more of their energy into developing the fruit while younger vines are still spending a lot of their energy on growth. And older vines are cultivated and trained and pruned for lower yields over many, many years so they tend to develop low yields, also concentrating the flavors in the fruit.

Older IS better! Just like us oldies! :lol:

So - went to Mitchell Katz in Livermore lat Saturday for their lobster bisque/sangiovese event. Piping hot lobster bisque - pretty well done! not the best, but not bad at all! - that went well with the sangiovese (featured wine of the day, being as how it was the release of the 2003 vintage) and the sauvignon blanc.

Tasted the sauv blanc, 2003 sangiovese, 2002 Shenandoah Valley (Sierra foothills) zin - wow!, 2002 petite sirah, 2003 Livermore zin, and 2003 sangiovese "port".

Sauvignon blanc (2003???) - bright fruit with honeysuckle, orange and grapefruit flavors. Also stone fruit flavors (peach, nectarine, apricot). Just a hint of sweetness. Would go good with Chinese/Thai/other Asian food, also with lobster bisque and otehr cream/seafood concoctions. Drink now.

Sangiovese 2003 - a bit young, needs another year in the bottle. Can drink now, but there will be a hint of "green" to is, and tannins will still be rigth in your face. Lots of great red berry flavors. Pair with almost ANY Italian food - marinara sauce, good dry salami, a medium aged grana padano cheese. Will be good in a year, great in two.

Shenandoah Valley zin (2002) - all I can say is wow!. 15%+ alcohol content, ~1.2% residual sugar. Big, bold. Smooth , restrainted tannins. That characteristic white pepper edge in the finish. Lots of dark berry flavors, a bit of smoke. After dinner with some bittersweet chocolate! Or with a good grilled steak.

Petite sirah 2002 - the winner of the bunch, I think. BIG! Loaded with fruit - a bit of raisin, lots of berries, black cherry, smoke and leather. Needs a good, hearty meal to go with it, or drink with a medium aged hard cheese and a good cigar.

Sangiovese "port" 2003 - a port-style wine made with sangiovese grapes. Very unusual. Most California port-style wines I've tasted have been made with zin or cab grapes. A refreshing change. Only available to club members, but luckily I belong to the club.

Coming to a wine store near you! - I hope, some time soon.

Pare, with all due respect, it's the snake's apdo, not the blood, that is mixed with some shoktong in a small glass that is drunk by mainly old men around Lumpini Park to reinvigorate themselves. No one sells the stuff in Patpong; there's too much p***y already in Bangkok's red light area for all men!

If you really want something exotic, go to Vietnam. There are merchants there who sell wine in dark green bottles...also in the wine is a gecko!

I thought there were no pussies anymore in Patpong, pare :P

....and I thought that a green worm in a bottle was gross enough hehehe

A lot of it has to with just maturity. Older vines are more mature and therefore put more of their energy into developing the fruit while younger vines are still spending a lot of their energy on growth. And older vines are cultivated and trained and pruned for lower yields over many, many years so they tend to develop low yields, also concentrating the flavors in the fruit.

Older IS better! Just like us oldies!  :lol:

hindi tayo DRINK NOW :P

I read that for newly-planted vines, it will take up to 3 years before it will bear wine-quality fruits....so dapat pala mahaba pisi ng vineyard owners.......

So - went to Mitchell Katz in Livermore lat Saturday for their lobster bisque/sangiovese event. Piping hot lobster bisque - pretty well done! not the best, but not bad at all! - that went well with the sangiovese (featured wine of the day, being as how it was the release of the 2003 vintage) and the sauvignon blanc.

Tasted the sauv blanc, 2003 sangiovese, 2002 Shenandoah Valley (Sierra foothills) zin - wow!, 2002 petite sirah, 2003 Livermore zin, and 2003 sangiovese "port".

Sauvignon blanc (2003???) - bright fruit with honeysuckle, orange and grapefruit flavors. Also stone fruit flavors (peach, nectarine, apricot). Just a hint of sweetness. Would go good with Chinese/Thai/other Asian food, also with lobster bisque and otehr cream/seafood concoctions. Drink now.

Sangiovese 2003 - a bit young, needs another year in the bottle. Can drink now, but there will be a hint of "green" to is, and tannins will still be rigth in your face. Lots of great red berry flavors. Pair with almost ANY Italian food - marinara sauce, good dry salami, a medium aged grana padano cheese. Will be good in a year, great in two.

Shenandoah Valley zin (2002) - all I can say is wow!. 15%+ alcohol content, ~1.2% residual sugar. Big, bold. Smooth , restrainted tannins. That characteristic white pepper edge in the finish. Lots of dark berry flavors, a bit of smoke. After dinner with some bittersweet chocolate! Or with a good grilled steak.

Petite sirah 2002 - the winner of the bunch, I think. BIG! Loaded with fruit - a bit of raisin, lots of berries, black cherry, smoke and leather. Needs a good, hearty meal to go with it, or drink with a medium aged hard cheese and a good cigar.

Sangiovese "port" 2003 - a port-style wine made with sangiovese grapes. Very unusual. Most California port-style wines I've tasted have been made with zin or cab grapes. A refreshing change. Only available to club members, but luckily I belong to the club.

Coming to a wine store near you! - I hope, some time soon.

sana nga, pare...

The Shenandoah looks good and the Petite syrah looks more than promising...I hope we can make something out of this....we'll explore more...