Hey Lipstick!!!! Glad to see you on board!!!!  Bods' birthday was last week of September just a few days  before the merged 70s and wine savvy eb.  Had a chance to convey my felicitations to THE MAN!!! :thumbsupsmiley:  Wow!!! The Great GAL has been left high and dry.  Now, with all the work you've been doing(sigurado kang work yan ha! :lol: ) the rouge and luster is nearly gone, Lipstick! :(

Wattap with me?  Nothing much, more of the same... smoke, post, drink, pass out!!!! :boo: (oh, sometimes I work too! :P )

Well, whenever I get to meet Mrs.B in our future ebs, I'll convey your best regards!  :upside:  Why didn't my wife think of that nick?

Your timing is great... just in time for the Beaujoulais Noveau! :D

I suspected that much re: Bods' natal day! B)

I know I know .... am so boring na! :lol: Wala na akong makwento dito (or anywhere else for that matter) kundi buhay oficina! :thumbsdownsmiley: Dry na dry talaga pare! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apologies, I thought Mrs.B was your Mrs. :( I must've have not read the WR properly.

I have very lousy timing .... :wacko:

Belated happy birthday to Bods and Lipstick. t6 na si Bods :D

Here's the location map of the Avellana Art Gallery

Thanks Storm! Ako TySeven. Hehe. Oh, congratulations again!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

ok that reminds me never to tinker with my cp when I'm under the spell of my patron saint ;)

Since I have the patience of a saint, I will not tell anybody that your birthday is coming up :hypocritesmiley:

now that reminds me, when is the BAD WINE NIGHT?

And why shouldn't you tinker with your cp when under the influence? :rolleyes: Been sending lurid messages to women in your itsy bitsy blackbook? :boo:

:lol:

Hehe bring it on! Bad-Wine-Night ready na ako. :lol:

Hmmm kamusta na kaya si FD .... tuluyang nalunod na kaya sa 7-day vino vigil niya? :unsure:

I suspected that much re: Bods' natal day!  B)

I know I know .... am so boring na! :lol:  Wala na akong makwento dito (or anywhere else for that matter) kundi buhay oficina!  :thumbsdownsmiley:  Dry na dry talaga pare! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apologies, I thought Mrs.B was your Mrs. :(  I must've have not read the WR properly.

I have very lousy timing ....  :wacko:

And why shouldn't you tinker with your cp when under the influence? :rolleyes:  Been sending lurid messages to women in your itsy bitsy blackbook? :boo:

Hehe bring it on!  Bad-Wine-Night ready na ako. :lol:

I have to be sober to send lurid messages, if ever hehehe....when I'm under the influence, I tend to send senseless messages which masquerade as inspirational :(

ok what's the lineup for the BAd Wine Night? :wacko: I remember someone telling me over the weekend na masarap daw pala ang wine...when I asked her what she had, she said Franzia :sick: ..

Franzia in a box :sick: :sick: :sick:

I suspected that much re: Bods' natal day!  B)

I know I know .... am so boring na! :lol:  Wala na akong makwento dito (or anywhere else for that matter) kundi buhay oficina!  :thumbsdownsmiley:  Dry na dry talaga pare! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apologies, I thought Mrs.B was your Mrs. :(  I must've have not read the WR properly.

I have very lousy timing ....  :wacko:

Thanks Storm!  Ako TySeven. Hehe.  Oh, congratulations again!!!  :thumbsupsmiley:

And why shouldn't you tinker with your cp when under the influence? :rolleyes:  Been sending lurid messages to women in your itsy bitsy blackbook? :boo:

Hehe bring it on!  Bad-Wine-Night ready na ako. :lol:

Hmmm kamusta na kaya si FD .... tuluyang nalunod na kaya sa 7-day vino vigil niya?  :unsure:

Belated HBD to Bods and HBD to Lipstick!

Yes, I'm still alive, and ready for any bad wine night. Specially after trying what's the difference between a fresh bottle of wine and something opened a few days before. I had to throw out the old ones. After a day, the wine's still OK. 2 days after opening, loss of aroma, still has flavor. Day 3 and onwards, still tastes like the wine but more acidic. After a week, it's ready for the chicharon. :wacko:

After that experiment, I think I'm ready for that bad wine event!

Not to be sacrilegious or anything, but thoughts of the bad wine night brings up the story of Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding. Bet we can turn that bad wine into something drinkable. hehehe :upside:

:thumbsupsmiley: Hi Lipstick, Bods, (kung that's entertainment ito, kayo yung birthday group!!! oops! wrong thread ata ako, madalas kasi sa 70s! :blush: ) and Storm.

Sistah Lipstick, it's your birthday!!! Sabi mo sa akin birthday mo nung nag Kikufuji tayo kaya nanlibre ka!!! Birthday mo nanaman!!! Libre ka ulit!!! :boo: Alright folks, now that I stirred the pot, B) GREAT to have you back on board. Happy Birthday greetings to you!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Storm, pare, you must be very busy preparing for your show. Congratulations, again!!! Will be looking forward to viewing your works! :thumbsupsmiley:

Bods, bad wine night? :boo: pwede ba unahin na natin yung white night natin... Sauvignon Blanc, Fume Blanc, Pinot Grigio, etc. Just let me know when pare!!!! :)

Ive been reading this thread and now I have a small question.

Its my sisters bday and she wants to get into drinking wines. What would be a good bottle to give her (considering its her first bottle ever) ... she likes daw reds, but she wants them sweet.

Preferably in the 10 to 15 dollars price range.

I hope my Q does not sound totally dumb to the experts in this thread ;)

Its my sisters bday and she wants to get into drinking wines. What would be a good bottle to give her (considering its her first bottle ever) ... she likes daw reds, but she wants them sweet.

Wow! That's a tough question! Wine preference is a personal choice and with that price range, you would have more than a thousand to choose from.

My personal favorite would be the Tempranillo grape. Spanish wines should be a good choice for this. This wine is easy to drink as the flavors and body are light and easy. Rich flavors of cherries. Finish would be mid and easy. Some labels that I've tried were Bach and Vina Albali.

Another favorite would be a Shiraz or since you are in the U.S., Syrah. This wine is heavier, complex and full bodied. California produces good syrah but if you can get Australian Shiraz that would be quite a novelty. Bods is the thread's Aussie Shiraz Guru!

There are other varietals you can also consider, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, etc. Each has it's own disctinct character. Also, I suggest you buy it from a rep*table store as bad handling and storage can ruin even the best of labels.

Good luck!

My wife and I had dinner at home with one of the country's top political analysts who has been appointed to an ambassadorial posting to Europe. Our discussion varied from espionage, railway contracts, enemies of the state, terrrorism and bilateral relations.

Of course all these dicussion over a bottle of Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz 2002. This wine has 5 medals on the label -- 2 golds and 3 silvers.

Dark rich red with mid purple colors. Nose was fragrant rich berries and cherries, vanilla, some oak, peppery spice. Body was full and distinctly shiraz with hardly any tannins. Finish was long, with rich plum and a noticeable chocolate flavors.

This is a wine worth its buck and much much more! I will definitely buy more of this!

Capped the night with Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

thanks pareng storm!

I gather that art gallery is past Vito Cruz going to Buendia, right?

Nope Pare! It's near EDSA, Pasay City. Please review the map. Pass by EDSA coming from QC or Makati lampasan ang LRT-EDSA station, turn right to FB Harrison (Queensland Lodge billboard ang marker).

Sana may wine tasting sa exhibit ko. I went to Wine Depot this afternoon and asked them to conduct a wine tasting session on my opening night. I hope pumayag sila. :rolleyes:

Edited by storm
:thumbsupsmiley:

Storm, pare, you must be very busy preparing for your show.  Congratulations, again!!!  Will be looking forward to viewing your works! :thumbsupsmiley:

Yup pare. Homestretch na. Nakakuha nga pala ako ng coating sponsor --- Du Pont. :)

See you at the opening day/night. Thanks!

Edited by storm
Belated HBD to Bods and HBD to Lipstick!

Yes, I'm still alive, and ready for any bad wine night.  Specially after trying what's the difference between a fresh bottle of wine and something opened a few days before.  I had to throw out the old ones.  After a day, the wine's still OK.  2 days after opening, loss of aroma, still has flavor.  Day 3 and onwards, still tastes like the wine but more acidic.  After a week, it's ready for the chicharon.  :wacko:

After that experiment, I think I'm ready for that bad wine event!

Not to be sacrilegious or anything, but thoughts of the bad wine night brings up the story of Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding.  Bet we can turn that bad wine into something drinkable. hehehe  :upside:

so you really did go ahead with that experiment :P Me I've been doing that experiment for a long time, but it's not an experiment anymore, it's a habit :P Been drinking cheap but drinkable wine everyday; quesehodang pangit na lasa nya after 3 days - uubusin ko pa din yun :lol:

:thumbsupsmiley: Hi Lipstick, Bods, (kung that's entertainment ito, kayo yung birthday group!!!  oops!  wrong thread ata ako, madalas kasi sa 70s! :blush: ) and Storm.

Sistah Lipstick, it's your birthday!!! Sabi mo sa akin birthday mo nung nag Kikufuji tayo kaya nanlibre ka!!! Birthday mo nanaman!!! Libre ka ulit!!!  :boo:  Alright folks, now that I stirred the pot,  B)  GREAT to have you back on board.  Happy Birthday greetings to you!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Storm, pare, you must be very busy preparing for your show.  Congratulations, again!!!  Will be looking forward to viewing your works! :thumbsupsmiley:

Bods, bad wine night?  :boo: pwede ba unahin na natin yung white night natin... Sauvignon Blanc, Fume Blanc, Pinot Grigio, etc.  Just let me know when pare!!!! :)

now that you've enumerated those white wines, para ngang naglalaway na ako for those hehehe...

saka na yung Bad Wines :P I'll see if my semillons are still good - I'll bring one, pare...I do have some dry verdelho, too...

That price range is quite expensive na for beginners - I believe there are good wines at the 9 or 10 dollar range. Try to disabuse her from sweet wines - the excellent ones are in the dry range. Besides, limited ang pairings mo sa food if you choose sweet wines. You can start with merlots, or pinots before going on to overpowering reds like cabernets or shiraz or zins...

My wife and I had dinner at home with one of the country's top political analysts  who has been appointed to an ambassadorial posting to Europe.  Our discussion varied from espionage, railway contracts, enemies of the state, terrrorism and bilateral relations.

Of course all these dicussion over a bottle of Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz 2002.  This wine has 5 medals on the label -- 2 golds and 3 silvers.

Dark rich red with mid purple colors.  Nose was fragrant rich berries and cherries, vanilla, some oak, peppery spice.  Body was full and distinctly shiraz with hardly any tannins.  Finish was long, with rich plum and a noticeable chocolate flavors. 

This is a wine worth its buck and much much more!  I will definitely buy more of this!

hmmmm....that's a good one, that Wyndham Estate Bin 555 - I havent't tasted that for a long time now...pare if ever I find myself again in your well-appointed abode, maybe you can also pop open a Bin 555 for me as I also am an excellent political analyst - I can analyze anything - espionage (I've read a lot of James Bond novels), railways (I once rode a train to Bicol), enemies and good friends and kumpares of the state, and of course, my favorite - BILATERAL relations - be they horizontal or vertical hehehe....I also am a self-appointed ambassador-at-large from Marikina :lol:

Nope Pare! It's near EDSA, Pasay City. Please review the map. Pass by EDSA coming from QC or Makati lampasan ang LRT-EDSA station, turn right to FB Harrison (Queensland Lodge billboard ang marker).

Sana may wine tasting sa exhibit ko. I went to Wine Depot this afternoon and asked them to conduct a wine tasting session on my opening night. I hope pumayag sila. :rolleyes:

Now that you've mentioned Queensland - I know the place na! :boo:

Good luck pare on your exhibit - I may not be there on opening night but I'm sure to drop by....

Wow! That's a tough question!  Wine preference is a personal choice and with that price range, you would have more than a thousand to choose from.

My personal favorite would be the Tempranillo grape.  Spanish wines should be a good choice for this.  This wine is easy to drink as the flavors and body are light and easy.  Rich flavors of cherries.  Finish would be mid and easy.  Some labels that I've tried were Bach and Vina Albali.

Another favorite would be a Shiraz or since you are in the U.S., Syrah.  This wine is heavier, complex and full bodied.  California produces good syrah but if you can get Australian Shiraz that  would be quite a novelty.  Bods is the thread's Aussie Shiraz Guru!

There are other varietals you can also consider, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, etc.  Each has it's own disctinct character.  Also, I suggest you buy it from a rep*table store as bad handling and storage can ruin even the best of labels. 

Good luck!

Sweet AND red? That's a tough one! She doesn't mean a dessert wine,does she?

I can steer you to a fruity (which gives the impression of sweetness, but still dry) red or a nice rose. For sweet, as in sugary sweet, the noly reds I cna steer youto would be dessert wines.

So - fruity reds, light, not too tannic, easy drinking, $10 - $15 -

cabernet franc - Neibaum-Coppola

tempranillo (as suggested) but try a CA wine, not Spanish - Fenestra has a new release, pretty good!

pinot noir - from Oregon (Domaine Drouhin, maybe?), or one of the Russian River wines (Armida?)

syrah - a bit heavier. Look for one from Lodi, or from Livermore

grenache - look for a Cote du Rhone. 2002 was pretty good overall for that area

red table wine - Neibaum-Coppola has an eminently drnikable, soft, fruity, easy drinking wine called Rosso. Red table wine, $6.99 at Costco. Very nice and a great value.

Rose -

look fora French rose, not the funky white zinfandel from Beringer or Sutter Home (yecch!). Maybe one from the Sancerre (Loire Valley) region, or a Cote du Rhone. Nice with barbeque!!!

NC has a dry rose called Sofia (after FFC's daughter,film director Sofia Coppola). The Sofia label is also applied to their bubbly, which is also a rose. Very nice, light, and flavorful.

Sweet reds -

the obvious is a port, but look for a California varietal port, maybe a zinfandel port, or a cab port. Bonny Doon also has a raspberry flavored sweet red wine that's a bit unusual.

Bubbly red! Yes, bubbly red. There's an Australian bubbly shiraz I've tried. Can't remember the label now, but I recall it was slightly sweet but very refreshing. If I can find that label I will let you know.

:thumbsupsmiley: Hi Lipstick, Bods, (kung that's entertainment ito, kayo yung birthday group!!!  oops!  wrong thread ata ako, madalas kasi sa 70s! :blush: ) and Storm.

Sistah Lipstick, it's your birthday!!! Sabi mo sa akin birthday mo nung nag Kikufuji tayo kaya nanlibre ka!!! Birthday mo nanaman!!! Libre ka ulit!!!  :boo:  Alright folks, now that I stirred the pot,  B)  GREAT to have you back on board.  Happy Birthday greetings to you!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Bods, bad wine night?  :boo: pwede ba unahin na natin yung white night natin... Sauvignon Blanc, Fume Blanc, Pinot Grigio, etc.  Just let me know when pare!!!! :)

Fume blanc IS suavignon blanc re-named by Robert Mondavi as part of a marketing ploy to separate it from the better known cabernet sauvignon, which as you well know, is RED. Seems some folks were confused (gee, dunno why! One is red, the other white!).

Other white varietals to try - viognier, semillion, chenin blanc. Sometimes they are blended, as in Fenestra's semonnay (a blend of semillion and chardonnay). Chablis is chardonnay, but from the town of Chablis in FRance.

hmmmm....that's a good one, that Wyndham Estate Bin 555 - I havent't tasted that for a long time now...pare if ever I find myself again in your well-appointed abode, maybe you can also pop open a Bin 555 for me as I also am an excellent political analyst - I can analyze anything - espionage (I've read a lot of James Bond novels), railways (I once rode a train to Bicol), enemies and good friends and kumpares of the state, and of course, my favorite - BILATERAL relations - be they horizontal or vertical hehehe....I also am a self-appointed ambassador-at-large from Marikina  :lol:

pare, you are most welcome at my house anytime!!! hindi lang ambassadorial ang treatment pang head of state!!!! (drunken state nga lang!!!) :lol:

Yup pare. Homestretch na. Nakakuha nga pala ako ng coating sponsor --- Du Pont. :)

See you at the opening day/night. Thanks!

Yes, we'll see you there!!!

Now that you've mentioned Queensland - I know the place na! :boo:

Good luck pare on your exhibit - I may not be there on opening night but I'm sure to drop by....

Pareng bods, kaya pala mahirap kang hanapin last few weeks ha. Nag dry run ka na para sa show ni storm. Hinanap mo yung gallery kaya lang mukhang naligaw ka! :lol: . Balita ko may mga camera na dun... baka makabili ako ng pirated dvd na ikaw ang top bill ha!!! :lol:

Fume blanc IS suavignon blanc re-named by Robert Mondavi as part of a marketing ploy to separate it from the better known cabernet sauvignon, which as you well know, is RED. Seems some folks were confused (gee, dunno why! One is red, the other white!).

Other white varietals to try - viognier, semillion, chenin blanc. Sometimes they are blended, as in Fenestra's semonnay (a blend of semillion and chardonnay). Chablis is chardonnay, but from the town of Chablis in FRance.

Yes I encountered that fume blanc is sauv blanc and the only difference is fume is kept in oak barrels while sauv in stainless barrels. Does the use of the oak barrel justify the higher price of fume blanc?

My wife and I had dinner at home with one of the country's top political analysts  who has been appointed to an ambassadorial posting to Europe.  Our discussion varied from espionage, railway contracts, enemies of the state, terrrorism and bilateral relations.

Of course all these dicussion over a bottle of Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz 2002.  This wine has 5 medals on the label -- 2 golds and 3 silvers.

Dark rich red with mid purple colors.  Nose was fragrant rich berries and cherries, vanilla, some oak, peppery spice.  Body was full and distinctly shiraz with hardly any tannins.  Finish was long, with rich plum and a noticeable chocolate flavors. 

This is a wine worth its buck and much much more!  I will definitely buy more of this!

That Wyndham Estate Bin 555 is fantastic! Got to try it a few weeks back and it's the best Shiraz I've tasted (as if I've had a lot of experience to speak of :blush: )! And the good thing about it is that it's reasonably priced and available at M***O daw!

Pareng bods, kaya pala mahirap kang hanapin last few weeks ha. Nag dry run ka na para sa show ni storm. Hinanap mo yung gallery kaya lang mukhang naligaw ka! :lol: .  Balita ko may mga camera na dun... baka makabili ako ng pirated dvd na ikaw ang top bill ha!!!  :lol:

pare, I know the place because I always see it on my way to Baclaran Church every Wednesday :hypocritesmiley:

At pano mo naman nalaman na may camera dun? :lol:

Ok so White Nights tayo!

I opened my semillon a few weeks back and it tasted kinda funny already. Could be its 1999 vintage had something to do with it. Dunno if you can keep a white for that long....