Hi! I'm a lurker on this thread, and a while back, someone (Mr. axgo3, I think) was looking for a wine toasting smiley.

I found this:

Cheers! And here's to more reviews!

If Zuchini is too far, you guys can also visit the other sister restaurants of the Werdenberg group: Carpaccio, Bianca's (both on Yakal st., Makati), and Nouvo (Dasmarinas Village, accross the church).

Hi!  I'm a lurker on this thread, and a while back, someone (Mr. axgo3, I think) was looking for a wine toasting smiley.

I found this: 

Cheers!  And here's to more reviews!

If Zuchini is too far, you guys can also visit the other sister restaurants of the Werdenberg group: Carpaccio, Bianca's (both on Yakal st., Makati), and Nouvo (Dasmarinas Village, accross the church).

agxo and bods would buy you a bottle for the smiley!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

thanks for the info on zuchini (no wonder zuchini sounds familiar)... i would sometimes hop over to bianca's for lunch!!! they have good set lunch there and sometimes they would have specials like lamb and aussie beef!!!! during the beaujolais nouveau months they have the young wines on offer. read this too: http://slate.msn.com/?id=2074387

don't lurk.. you're contributions are well appreciated here!!! thanks!

Edited by masi

Boo! :lol: Good heavens I thought my spelling skills were failing me! I had to double check how to spell Zucchini! :lol: And I spelled it correctly the first time. :D Double C po.

I've had lunch at Bianca's and Carpaccio as well and I have to say the menu at Zucchini is different as well as the interiors and ambiance. :D

Just got out of my meeting ... leche Friday na Friday eh sagabal sa gimik itong trabaho! :lol: Hope you guys have a good one this evening! Am heading home. :)

Hi!  I'm a lurker on this thread, and a while back, someone (Mr. axgo3, I think) was looking for a wine toasting smiley.

I found this: 

Cheers!  And here's to more reviews!

Floppy - thanks!!! That's a great smiley! Ms. Mod - how do we get this added to the list of smileys?

I just got my regular newsletter from a local wine store (well, local as in SF, not the East Bay!) -

I wonder which wines I'll buy? Good thing these are for futures, since I don't have too much storage space left, unless I re-open my crawlspace storage, and I don't want to do that until after the kitchen remodel - the plumber and electrician need to get under the house to run the gas and electric lines I'm adding.

--- The Wine House San Francisco <winehouse@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Subject: 2004 Bordeaux Futures

> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:40:45 GMT

>

BORDEAUX UPDATE I

Better late than never, this month we have added several of my personal favorites from St. Emilion to our list of 2004 Bordeaux futures. In some respects Clos Fourtet and Tertre Roteboeuf, two estates I have admired for some time (and in particular in 2004) represent very different styles of wine, yet both respect their terroir, and represent authentic St. Emilion.

2004 Clos Fourtet (41.58)

Special * $499. case

I have followed Clos Fourtet over the past decade since Pierre Lurton (now at Cheval Blanc) instituted a new regime geared toward producing wines up to the potential afforded by its location on the splendid limestone plateau in the heart of St. Emilion. Clos Fourtet may go against the fashion of making full-bodied, plump, fleshy wines as it truly reflects the stony, mineral soil upon which it is grown. It is this limestone soil around the village, which put the wines of St. Emilion on the wine map in the first place. On limestone, cabernet franc and merlot can produce wonderfully aromatic wines with silky texture and great breed and elegance. They are not necessarily the heaviest, fullest bodied, or deepest colored wines, but they do tend to age extremely well, and can provide years of enjoyment. The 2004 Clos Fourtet embraces these qualities with its lovely high toned, vibrant layered berry fruit, silky texture, and great persistence. The aromatics alone should reward those who put some bottles down for a while. Special case pricing is for orders placed on available stock through 31 August. Six bottle minimum with a $5.00 broken case charge.

2004 Clos Fourtet Saint-Emilion Premier Grand Cru (classe B) (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $41.58

Pre-Arrival / Futures listing. Available in half-case or case quantities (minimum of six bottles). Please see full terms below.

2004 Tertre Roteboeuf

Special * $82 bottle $960. case

2004 Roc de Cambes (29. 08)

Special * $349. case

For some reason Tertre-Roteboeuf, and its cellar-mate Roc de Cambes, seem to have become something of an English cult wine lately. Even though we have been carrying Francois Mitjaville's impressive wines for at least 20 years (still have some 1985 tucked away), in recent vintages both estates have been almost totally ignored by the American press, while receiving accolades in the British and French wine press. Don't the American wine writers visit these properties? In any case, Mitjaville tends to produce fleshy, rounded wines as he pushes to achieve maximum ripeness from his hillside (south facing) vineyards. He wants all of the positives from extended hang time, while avoiding the negatives of raisined or desiccated bunches. His vines are pruned severely, and yields rarely achieve the permitted production. Since he believes that the resulting wine should reflect the entire vineyard production, he does not make a second wine at either estate. Tertre Roteboeuf has a deep black/red color and explosive scents of cassis and other black fruits, which carry through to the mouth. It is juicy, dense and rounded, but the high-toned fruit dances across the palate - exotic and mouth coating with a silky texture. Despite a huge tannic structure behind all that fruit, it offers superb balance and great persistence in finish. The silky texture he achieves in his wine lead some writers to call Tertre Roteboeuf the 'Burgundy' of Bordeaux. Exotic and classy, it is definitely one of the top St. Emilions in 2004. Take advantage of our Special bottle and case prices through August 31st on available stock.

2004 Chateau La Tertre Roteboeuf St. Emilion (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $82.00

Pre-Arrival / Futures listing. Available by the bottle. Discount available for half and full case orders. Discounted half case orders are subject to half case supplement fee. See full terms below.

Francois regards Roc de Cambes with special affection, as it is totally his baby (Tertre comes through his wife's family). It's a small property with very old merlot and cabernet franc vines in the Cote de Bourg on the bluffs overlooking the Gironde estuary opposite the Medoc. The moderating waters of the estuary preclude some of the extremes of heat found further inland, resulting in fresher berry-like fruit. The old vines contribute richness and concentration of fruit as well as a substantial structure. It is brighter and more sappy than the Tertre with a massive overlay of fruit which makes it hard to resist even now. If you have any doubts about the quality Mitjaville achieves here, just try the 1998 or 2001, which are in stock. I am confident that you will find no finer drinking around the $30 level than here. Special case pricing (minimum half case with $5 broken case supplement) through August 31st.

2004 Chateau Roc des Cambes Bordeaux

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Other Bordeaux;

Pre-Arrival / Futures listing. Available in half-case or case quantities (minimum of six bottles). Please see full terms below.

Our full offer for 2004 Bordeaux follows.

"A Return to Normalcy"

If a Bordeaux sales campaign can ever be called normal, 2004 follows closely behind the 2002 campaign as a recent example. In both cases, the market has been 'allowed' to roll out prices with no undue external pressure creating artificial and absurd surges in price - witness last year when the prices of some of the most sought after estates more than doubled overnight.

The top wines of the 2004 vintage, which are the focus of our En Primeur purchases, are extraordinarily reasonably priced (despite the strong Euro) in the context of the world Cabernet market. In this vintage you can buy a First Growth Bordeaux for $137, less than many unknown, unproven Cabernets from other parts of the wine world. Success in this vintage was clearly easier for the properties that had the resources to intervene when necessary to produce a quality product; whether it was by reducing yields, by vineyard work or by treatment (when called for) and by the ability to cull only the best cuvees for the grand vin.

With lower opening prices and a lack of any speculative frenzy, this offer is an opportunity to buy into some very good to excellent wines at prices we haven't seen recently.

In general, there were great successes in all parts of Bordeaux. My favorite region again was focused in the Medoc communes of St. Estephe, Pauillac, and especially St. Julien. The top wines of the Margaux district were also more uniform in quality than they have been in recent vintages. Clearly St Emilion and Pomerol suffered less than in 2003, and there are some exceptional wines here. I found the top wines in each of these areas to be plump and lush, and I even liked some of the more extracted styles, as evidenced by our purchase of Troplong Mondot, Angelus, and Barde Haut, among others. They were lush and rich and lacked the astringency and aggressive tannins I have frequently noted in other recent vintages. If putting my money where my mouth is reflects my personal favorites, then Sociando Mallet and Pontet Canet are clearly at the top of my list, as we bought deep in both. For quality and value, I can think of no better choices than these two over achievers.

We will be publishing more complete notes on our website and in upcoming newsletters. In the meantinme, please note that all of our prices are subject to change without prior notice.

Where bottle prices are listed in the right hand column, wines may be bought in any quantity. Where case prices are listed, there is a half-case minimum purchase, with a $5 supplement per half case. This year we even offer a slightly lower case price for many of wines sold by the bottle to reward those buying in larger quantities.

Please note: As we wanted to get this offer to you as soon as possible, we are not yet set up to accept orders off of our website, but you may place an order by phone (415/355-9463, or toll-free at 800/966-8468), fax (415/355-1050), or, e-mail (winehouse@sbcglobal.net). All orders are subject to confirmation.

2004 Medoc & Pessac-Leognan

Updated 06/09/05

** Prices in (parentheses) reflect bottle prices on wines purchased by the case. **

NOTE: I've highlighted my personal favorites in the list below

Wine: Case:

Armailhac (22.42)$ 269

Branaire Ducru (25.75)$ 309

Calon Segur (34.08) $ 409

Carruades de Lafite (34.08)$ 409

Clerc Milon (27.42)$ 329

Clos du Marquis (24.92) $ 299

Cos d'Estournel (67.00)$ 804; $ 69/Btl.

Ducru Beaucaillou (56.00)$ 672; $ 58/Btl.

Forts de Latour (44.92)$ 539 Giscours (30.75) $ 369

Grand Puy Lacoste (31.58) $ 379

Haut Bailly (33.25) $ 399

Haut Brion $ 139 /Btl.

Lafite Rothschild $ 140/Btl.

Latour $ Inquire /Btl.

La Mission Haut Brion (92.00) $ 1104; $ 94/Btl.

Leoville Las Cases (73.00)$ 864; $ 7/Btl.

Leoville Poyferre (33.25)$ 399.

Lynch Bages (38.25) $ 459

Malescot St. Exupery (26.67.) $ 320

Margaux $ 165 /Btl.

Montrose (48.75) $ 579

Mouton Rothschild$ 139 /Btl.

Palmer (76.00)$ 912; $ 78/Btl.

Pape Clement (61.00)$ 732; $ 63/Btl.

Pavillon Rouge de Margaux (32.42)$ 389

Pichon Longueville Baron (49.00)$ 588; $ 51/Btl.

Pichon Longueville Lalande (59.00)$ 708; $ 61/Btl.

Pontet Canet (37.42)$ 449

Smith Haut Lafitte Rouge (34.08)$ 409

Sociando Mallet (34.50) $ 414

2004 Chateau d'Armailhac Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $22.42

2004 Chateau Branaire Ducru Saint Julien (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Julien; $25.75

2004 Chateau Calon Segur Saint Estephe (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Estephe; $34.08

2004 Chateau Lafite Rothschild Pauillac Carruades de Lafite (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $34.08

2004 Chateau Clerc Milon Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $27.42

2004 Chateau Leoville Las Cases Clos du Marquis Saint Julien (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Julien; $24.92

2004 Chateau Cos d'Estournel Saint Estephe (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Estephe; $69.00

Pre-Arrival / Futures listing. Available by the bottle. Discount available for half and full case orders. Discounted half case orders are subject to half case supplement fee. See full terms below.

2004 Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou Saint Julien (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Julien; $58.00

2004 Chateau Latour Pauillac Les Forts de Latour (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $44.92

2004 Chateau Giscours Margaux (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Margaux; $30.75

2004 Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $31.58

2004 Chateau Haut Bailly Graves (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Other Bordeaux; $33.25

2004 Chateau Haut Brion Graves (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Other Bordeaux; $139.00

Pre-Arrival / Futures listing. Available by the bottle. See full terms below.

2004 Chateau Lafite Rothschild Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $140.00

2004 Chateau La Mission Haut Brion Graves (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Other Bordeaux; $94.00

2004 Chateau Leoville Las Cases Saint Julien (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Julien; $75.00

2004 Chateau Leoville Poyferre Saint Julien (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Julien; $33.25

2004 Chateau Lynch Bages Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $38.25

2004 Chateau Malescot St. Exupery Margaux (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Margaux; $26.67

2004 Chateau Montrose Saint Estephe (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Estephe; $48.25

2004 Chateau Mouton Rothschild Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $139.00

2004 Chateau Palmer Margaux (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Margaux; $78.00

2004 Chateau Margaux Pavillon Rouge (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Other Bordeaux; $32.42

2004 Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $51.00

2004 Chateau Pichon Lalande Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $61.00

2004 Chateau Pontet Canet Pauillac (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pauillac; $37.42

2004 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte Graves (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Other Bordeaux; $34.08

2004 Chateau Sociando Mallet Haut Medoc (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Medoc; $34.50

2004 St. Emilion & Pomerol

Wine: Case:

Angelus (83.00) $ 996; $ 85/Btl.

Barde Haut (24.92) $ 299.

Beausejour Becot (34.92)$ 419.

Cheval Blanc$ 205/Btl.

Clos de l'Eglise (Pomerol) (67.00)$ 804; $ 69/Btl.

Clos Fourtet special price(41.58) $ 499

Eglise Clinet (66.00) $ 792; $ 68/Btl.

Evangile (76.00) $ 912; $ 78/Btl.

La Clotte (24.08)$ 289

La Fleur Cardinale (22.42)$ 269

La Tour Figeac (21.58)$ 259

Larcis-Ducasse (25.75)$ 309

Le Gay (55.00) $ 660; $ 57/Btl.

Monbousquet (32.42) $ 389.

Roc de Cambes special price(29.08.) $ 349

Tertre Roteboeuf special price(80.00) $ 960; $ 82/Btl.

Troplong Mondot (34.92)$ 419.

2004 Chateau L'Angelus Saint Emilion Grand Cru (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $85.00

2004 Chateau Barde-Haut Saint Emilion Grand Cru (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $24.92

2004 Beausejour Becot Saint Emilion (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $34.92

2004 Chateau Cheval Blanc Saint-Emilion Premier Grand Cru (classe A) (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $205.00

2004 Clos Fourtet Saint-Emilion Premier Grand Cru (classe B) (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $41.58

2004 Clos L'Eglise Pomerol (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pomerol; $69.00

2004 Chateau L'Eglise Clinet Pomerol (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pomerol; $68.00

2004 Chateau L'Evangile Pomerol (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pomerol; $78.00

2004 Chateau La Clotte Saint Emilion Grand Cru (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $24.08

2004 Chateau Fleur Cardinale St. Emilion (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $24.42

2004 Chateau La Tour Figeac Saint-Emilion Grand Cru (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $21.58

2004 Chateau Larcis Ducasse Saint-Emilion Grand Cru (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $25.75

2004 Chateau Le Gay Pomerol (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Pomerol; $57.00

2004 Chateau Monbousquet Saint-Emilion Grand Cru (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $32.42

2004 Chateau Quinault L'Enclos Saint-Emilion (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $23.00

2004 Chateau Roc des Cambes Bordeaux (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Other Bordeaux; $29.08

2004 Chateau La Tertre Roteboeuf St. Emilion (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $82.00

2004 Chateau Troplong Mondot Saint Emilion Grand Cru (Pre-Arrival)

Red Wine; Bordeaux Blend; Saint Emilion; $34.92

2004 Dry White Bordeaux

Wine: Case: Haut Brion Blanc 259. Laville Haut Brion 165. Pape Clement Blanc (64.00) $ 768; $ 66/Btl. Pavillon Blanc de Margaux (53.00) $ 600; $ 50/Btl.

2004 Chateau Haut Brion Graves Blanc (Pre-Arrival)

White Wine; Sauvignon Blanc; Pessac Leognan; $259.00

2004 Chateau Laville Haut Brion Graves Blanc

White Wine; Sauvignon Blanc; Pessac Leognan; $165.00

2004 Chateau Pape Clement Graves Blanc (Pre-Arrival)

White Wine; Sauvignon Blanc; Pessac Leognan; $66.00

2004 Sauternes and Barsac

Wine: Case: Climens (55.00) $ 660; $ 57/Btl. Climens 375ml (28.33) $ 680; $ 29/Btl. Rieussec (47.42)$ 569. Rieussec 375ml (24.54) $ 589. Yquem (187.00) $ 2244; $ 189/Btl. Yquem 375ml (93.50) $2244; $94.50/Btl.

2004 Chateau Climens Barsac (Pre-Arrival)

Moelleux; Semillon; Other Bordeaux; $57.00

2004 Chateau Climens Barsac (half bottle) (Pre-Arrival)

Moelleux; Semillon; Other Bordeaux; $29.00

2004 Chateau Rieussec Sauternes (Pre-Arrival)

Moelleux; Semillon; Other Bordeaux; $47.42

2004 Chateau Rieussec Sauternes (half bottle) (Pre-Arrival)

Moelleux; Semillon; Other Bordeaux; $24.54

2004 Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes (Pre-Arrival)

Moelleux; Semillon; Other Bordeaux; $189.00

2004 Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes (half bottle) (Pre-Arrival)

Moelleux; Semillon; Other Bordeaux; $94.50

----------------

What a list!!! Okay - gotta wipe that drool off my keyboard now....... :P

Here's another regular emailing -

-------------------

post-33551-1122673264.jpg

If you're a collector, this may be an interesting wine. I have not heard a lot of good things about the Marilyn wines but I usually see them in supermarkets. I have never tried one so I have no first hand experience with them. But the labels are nice!!

--- news@vintagewinemerchants.com wrote:

Subject: 2003 Marilyn Monroe Merlot, Highly Collectible

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:33:35 -0700

2003 Marilyn Merlot - $23.99 (Highly Collectible)

Limited Availability!

Wine enthusiasts with a sense of humor have long enjoyed the playful spirit behind Marilyn Merlot wines, which today are equally prized by wine connoisseurs, collectors, and fans of Marilyn Monroe.

The 2003 Marilyn Merlot grapes were harvested by longtime growers from vineyards in the heart of the Napa Valley. Sam Shaw, Marilyn's favorite photographer and a lifelong confidant, shot this photograph of Marilyn. When asked about Sam Shaw, Marilyn said, "He always makes me look my best."

About the Wine

The 2003 vintage Marilyn Merlot is a blend of 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon. A substantial addition of Cabernet adds greater complexity to the nose and more structure to the mouth. This wine was barrel aged using 30% new wood to enhance the aromas of vanilla and roasted coffee. The fruity aromas and flavors are ripe and soft reflecting the maturity and quality of the grapes we harvested. All the vineyards for this wine are located in the heart of the Napa Valley ranging from the Oak Knoll District to the Rutherford District.

-John McKay, Winemaker

History of Marilyn Merlot:

Since 1985, each distinctive vintage of Marilyn Merlot has featured a unique label based on a photograph of Marilyn Monroe. Each new vintage is released on Marilyn Monroe's birthday, June 1st, and sells out quickly. Collectors have made Marilyn Merlot one of the fastest-appreciating wines on the market, as twelve-bottle sets of the 1985 through 1996 vintages continue to grow in value and are now selling for $7,000.

While the concept and engaging artwork of these wines has given them a degree of fame, it is the wine in the bottle that merits the favor of those who seek it every year. All vintages carry the Napa Valley appellation (except for the 1987 vintage, which was imported from France). The wines are made at the Napa Wine Company in Oakville, California. Some of Napa Valley's finest vineyards contribute to the blend, which is typically about 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc.

Marilyn Merlot wines consistently win praise from critics and lovers of stylish and delicious Merlot.

PINNACLES OF OREGON PINOT

Friday, July 29, 2005, 5:00 - 9:00 pm, $20.00/person + tax Reserve Now

In a 1979 blind wine competition among some of the world's best Burgundies, a small Oregon winery trounced the competition such as the legendary 1961 Dom Drouhin Clos de Beze and others to take second place in the competition. Since then, Oregon has consistently produced world-class pinot noir. Join us as we attempt to reach the Pinnacle of Pinot Noir and taste through an incredible lineup of Pinot Noir. The tasting list is under construction. Standby for details.

And note this!!!

Get Paid to Drink Wine???

That's right! Get paid to drink wine AND get paid to drink on the job (just don't overdo it). We're looking for some flexible, part-time help. If you are passionate about wine and want to learn more about wine and the industry, send your resume to info@vintagewinemerchants.com. Please include a brief summary of 1)what you enjoy about wine 2)what regions you have the most knowledge about and 3) some general expectations and goals of working in the store.

Here's another regular emailing -

-------------------

post-33551-1122673264.jpg

If you're a collector, this may be an interesting wine. I have not heard a lot of good things about the Marilyn wines but I usually see them in supermarkets. I have never tried one so I have no first hand experience with them. But the labels are nice!!

Collectors have made Marilyn Merlot one of the fastest-appreciating wines on the market, as twelve-bottle sets of the 1985 through 1996 vintages continue to grow in value and are now selling for $7,000.

The wines are made at the Napa Wine Company in Oakville, California. Some of Napa Valley's finest vineyards contribute to the blend, which is typically about 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc.

I wonder how much the set would cost of it were just the bottle? I think the bottle is more precious than the contents. hehehe

Is it common now for wine companies to outsource their grapes much like Nike doesn't have it's own factory to make stuff? Or does this indicate a much lesser quality wine? I can drink a Carlo Rossi (if forced to) but never would I touch a Novellino (grapes from Italy, blended and bottled in northern Manila).

Boo! :lol:  Good heavens I thought my spelling skills were failing me!  I had to double check how to spell Zucchini! :lol:  And I spelled it correctly the first time. :D  Double C po.

I've had lunch at Bianca's and Carpaccio as well and I have to say the menu at Zucchini is different as well as the interiors and ambiance. :D

Just got out of my meeting ... leche Friday na Friday eh sagabal sa gimik itong trabaho! :lol:  Hope you guys have a good one this evening!  Am heading home. :)

Thanks for the correction, Ms. Lipstick!

Zucchini, Bianca's, Carpaccio and Nuovo, although sister restaurants, have their own speciality. But all of them are great! Prices are slightly lower than hotel restaurant prices and Quality is better.

I wonder how much the set would cost of it were just the bottle?  I think the bottle is more precious than the contents. hehehe

Is it common now for wine companies to outsource their grapes much like Nike doesn't have it's own factory to make stuff?  Or does this indicate a much lesser quality wine?  I can drink a Carlo Rossi (if forced to) but never would I touch a Novellino (grapes from Italy, blended and bottled in northern Manila).

I think you're right. It's a collectible more for the label than for the wine. Still, I wish I'd started buying and keeping the stuff whenit first started showig up. But then, I don't collect "stuff". I gather and keep items (wine included) for their intrinisic value (either as a prime example of the genre, or for sentimantal reasons).

A lot of small wineries buy grapes from other growers, and a lot of places pick and crush the grapes then sell the crush instead of vinifying it. Mondavi imports grape juice from France (or did,once upon a time) to make wine to sell under the Vichon label.

American Wine in American Canyon just outside of Napa is a negociant, similar to the negociants in France, who buy wine and sell it under their own labels.

Quality? Like most other wine, the stuff from negociants tends to be cheaper than the stuff from the winemaker - whether a big winemaker like Neibaum-Coppola, or a small one like Retzlaff - and while this does not mean that it is by definition bad wine, my experience says that the percentage of good wines increass with price.

Thanks for the correction, Ms. Lipstick!

Zucchini, Bianca's, Carpaccio and Nuovo, although sister restaurants, have their own speciality.  But all of them are great!  Prices are slightly lower than hotel restaurant prices and Quality is better.

Hello floppydrive, welcome back to the thread! I think you posted some months back and sorta disappeared :(

Anyway tell us, do you prefer red, white, old world or new world wines? :) Hehe naghahanap lang ako ng kausap. :D

Hello floppydrive, welcome back to the thread!  I think you posted some months back and sorta disappeared :(

Anyway tell us, do you prefer red, white, old world or new world wines? :)  Hehe naghahanap lang ako ng kausap. :D

I prefer reds over whites now. My first round with wines was in 1988 during a wine tour of Napa and Sonoma. Underaged at that time to drink, but the wineries were very open to letting just about anyone to try their wines. At that time the Zinfandels were becoming popular. From a softdrink guzzler, that was a good intro wine!

Now, I enjoy reds more, a bit on the dry side.

Are you at work on a Saturday? I thought most of Makati offices are closed on saturdays.

I prefer reds over whites now.  My first round with wines was in 1988 during a wine tour of Napa and Sonoma.  Underaged at that time to drink, but the wineries were very open to letting just about anyone to try their wines.  At that time the Zinfandels were becoming popular.  From a softdrink guzzler, that was a good intro wine!

Now, I enjoy reds more, a bit on the dry side.

Are you at work on a Saturday?  I thought most of Makati offices are closed on saturdays.

I prefer reds, too, over whites and the only white that I really really like is a Traminer Riesling. I am slowly starting to appreciate dry reds (used to loathe it! haha).

Am at home today .... and yes I think most Makati offices are closed on Saturdays including ours but if we have something urgent then to work we go on weekends! :lol: Hirap maging slave. :upside: Are you at work?

I prefer reds, too, over whites and the only white that I really really like is a Traminer Riesling.  I am slowly starting to appreciate dry reds (used to loathe it! haha).

Am at home today .... and yes I think most Makati offices are closed on Saturdays including ours but if we have something urgent then to work we go on weekends! :lol:  Hirap maging slave.  :upside:  Are you at work?

Yep, at work. Too bad the economy today has slowed down compared to a few years back. It now takes longer between good bottles of wine.

Yep, at work.  Too bad the economy today has slowed down compared to a few years back.  It now takes longer between good bottles of wine.

Oh sorry to hear about that .... you having to work on a Saturday that is. What kind of work makes you come in on Saturdays? Is it just today or this is like a regular thing? Everybody should have a weekend! :lol:

My conversion moment was with a St Hugo 2000 Coonawara CabSav and I haven't stopped drinking wine since then .... I also have made a conscious effort to stay away from the bad ones! :lol:

Oh sorry to hear about that .... you having to work on a Saturday that is. What kind of work makes you come in on Saturdays?  Is it just today or this is like a regular thing?  Everybody should have a weekend! :lol:

My conversion moment was with a St Hugo 2000 Coonawara CabSav and I haven't stopped drinking wine since then .... I also have made a conscious effort to stay away from the bad ones! :lol:

I work saturdays too, if need be... sundays, holidays, included. when i have clients in town i even work in golf courses, restaurants and bars!!!! take clients to malls for shopping and become a tour guide, as well.

but i am not a male escort! :boo: :wacko:

Floppy - thanks!!! That's a great smiley! Ms. Mod - how do we get this added to the list of smileys?

I'll see what I can do ... not promising anything though. :)

I work saturdays too, if need be... sundays, holidays, included.  when i have clients in town i even work in golf courses, restaurants and bars!!!!  take clients to malls for shopping and become a tour guide, as well. 

but i am not a male escort! :boo:  :wacko:

Senyorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wahehehehehehehe. Funny that's part and parcel of my job too! Would you believe that I've been to GENIE and witnessed that magic biggie t-shirt because I had to accompany my clients some 5years ago? :blink: Haha that was the height of feeling ESCORT talaga ako! :lol:

i had a great start to my weekend! midweek some friends started phoning and prepared for the usual stuff we love doing... drink. we agreed to have simple evening of wine, smoke and club music of the 80s and 90's at my humble abode. some started to arrive at 9pm, so while waiting for the rest, we popped the cork of a Bridgewater Mill 2001 Millstone Shiraz 3 Districts (Australian) and let it breathe. in the meantime, we tooka few shots of Glenfiddic Single Malt and some tapas which i bought from a spanish deli. we had callos, octopus in olive oil and garlic, chorizo and chapata (toast). the callos was a must have since it's a personal favorite of one friend.

i've had a Millstone Shiraz before but yet i dont think i will ever leave this variety. it's so prolific and gratifying to the nose and the palate! d ko katulad as dry as a puto seco :P

everyone was accounted for by the time we toppled the Millstone, so we popped a Fife Scarlet 2000 Napa Valley. it had a mid-purple color. the nose was vibrant and a few swirls revealed it's long legs ala Maria Sharapova :* . i had quite a few of the whiskey and shiraz already so my tastebuds were denying me the privilege of tasting its full glamour. friends gave their opinion... just like congress in plenary, i got several desciptions... plum, earthy, spicy (this i thought so too). the finish was smooth!

when you are having fun... you wouldnt want anything to end, so i opened a Raimat Pinot Noir 1998 (Spanish), a new-old world. i was battle weary having been beaten black and blue by the Glen, Millstone and the Fife by this time... but my competitive spirit told me to do a few more rounds with this Spanish senorita!!! Like a young Penelope Cruz, the Raimat was floral, and lively... too bad i am a bruised old man with a rep*tation not to be BAD (as my pare would say Balding And DOMish!). The Raimat was medium red with light purple hues. This is all a can say of the wine as my tastebuds were already delirious and in a state of chaos.

like any great event, the night had to end before 2a.m. so did the Raimat. With the friends I have, all i can say is life is truly worth living and I have so much to be thankful for!!!

Edited by masi
Senyorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wahehehehehehehe.  Funny that's part and parcel of my job too!  Would you believe that I've been to GENIE and witnessed that magic biggie t-shirt because I had to accompany my clients some 5years ago? :blink:  Haha that was the height of feeling ESCORT talaga ako!  :lol:

Senorita!!! O genki desu ka? Ni Hau! Wow, that must be very difficult especially when guys shed off more than their inhibitions! Buti ka pa nakita mo na yung big t-shirt service nila! I went there once with a friend and my brother from NuYok. But the place didn't appeal to them!!!! :grr: How come i dont get to make decision on these things!!!! :blush:

Floppydrive, pardon my ignorance but exactly what industry might that be? :unsure:

Senyorrrrrrrrrr ... ganda naman ng FR! I can totally relate with the "i-can't-taste-the-wine-anymore" syndrome. :blink: That's why I usually stick with just one or two at the most for the whole night so my tastebuds don't get all too confused! :lol: I haven't reached the stage of a sophisticated palate yet to be able to enjoy the differences of 3-4 labels a night ... currently eh kapag 3 or more kinds eh ang alam ko lang malakas na amats ko!

Floppydrive, pardon my ignorance but exactly what industry might that be? :unsure:

Senyorrrrrrrrrr ... ganda naman ng FR!  I can totally relate with the "i-can't-taste-the-wine-anymore" syndrome. :blink:  That's why I usually stick with just one or two at the most for the whole night so my tastebuds don't get all too confused! :lol:  I haven't reached the stage of a sophisticated palate yet to be able to enjoy the differences of 3-4 labels a night ... currently eh kapag 3 or more kinds eh ang alam ko lang malakas na amats ko!

it's by design that i drink more than 1 label, wala na kasi akong stock -- paisa-isa lang ang bote ko!!!! :boo: it's good now that i intentionally try to remember labels dati i just drink... finito!!!! i'm just really bad in putting a name to a face or vice versa... before it was the girls i met in parties, then, my dates....but now that i'm married i dont have to remember her name anymore kasi i dont fear saying the wrong 1!! NYAHAHAHAHA :wacko: !!!! i deserve a batok there than an award!!!

seriously, thanks to this thread, i take time to appreciate the wines i consume. maybe next time i'll have that yalumba!

Edited by masi
it's by design that i drink more than 1 label, wala na kasi akong stock -- paisa-isa lang ang bote ko!!!! :boo: it's good now that i intentionally try to remember labels dati i just drink... finito!!!!  i'm just really bad in putting a name to a face  or vice versa... before it was the girls i met in parties, then, my dates....but now that i'm married i dont have to remember her name anymore kasi i dont fear saying the wrong 1!! NYAHAHAHAHA :wacko: !!!! i deserve a batok there than an award!!!

seriously, thanks to this thread, i take time to appreciate the wines i consume.  maybe next time i'll have that yalumba!

Hahahahahahahaha I will make you batok (proxy baga) for the Mrs.! :lol: Thanks to this thread now I read the label of the bottle! Ha ha ha.

Hahahahahahahaha I will make you batok (proxy baga) for the Mrs.! :lol:  Thanks to this thread now I read the label of the bottle! Ha ha ha.

buti ka pa, you can still read what's written on the label...me, have to wear my reading glasses na!!! :D

with all the labels to read and flavors to remember .... iisa pa rin a pupuntahan!!!!! LASHENG!!! in the end!!!! :lol: i'll drink to that !!! :lol:

post fr... i woke up this morning either still drunk or a hangover... not of the wine but the wonderful evening i had!!!

Edited by masi

question for the week and weekend na rin!!!!

"other than a meal what is your favorite "barchow" with your wine?"

(mulitple anwers accepted... state the wine variety and "chow")

mine would be jamon serrano (i can eat that now that wife is still out!!) and a cabernet sauvignon or a shiraz.