ola...winos (pahiram, hanilips) :D

i'm not as wine-savvy as you guys but i do love wines. as they say it's good for the heart and, wholewineheartedly, i agree. my heart is in perfect condition! at least that's how i feel *toinks*.... i started collecting wines as early as 1997 but i only have a number  of them up to this point as i always end up taking up a swig.

Mine's simply stored in a wooden rack but with the kind of temp here i think it's enough to retain its 'naughty and flirtatious ' taste. :D

masi, a golfer? check out mTc clubhouse....andun yung mga 19th hole addicts :lol:

cheers!

HK

welcome!

we would love to have your company in future get-togethers....

Correction - we're not wine-savvy - we just love to drink wine, like you...

cheers!

...and let's soon get a whiff of those flirtatious beauties you keep :P

It was aged in French barriques for 18 months - I think that was the key!

It was great seeing you again, pare....I think our wine-drinking will become more and more frequent now :P

kahit may kontra dun sa shiraz, I think it all boils down again to preferences and bias - what the heck - we love whatever we drink!

cheers!

whoever contradicts a shiraz has to prove the point that there is a better choice ... the only way to do this is to settle it in joust...

the first bottle to fall will be declared the winner...

Now, why did I stumble on this only now? :grr:

I was at the Ortigas Home Depot around past 5pm yesterday.  Had I known you guys were meeting up, I could have joined in . . . Nasa tapat lang nun yung Wine Depot diba?

Discovered any good reislings lately, pareng bods?

sayang talaga, pare!

please do stick around the thread everyday because our wine happenings are more of a spur-of-the-moment thingies :P

we would love to have you around next time, and yes, it would be a good idea if we include a white in the next sessions...

I'm not much into rieslings yet - what would you recommend, pare?

I have not lost my love affairs yet with semillons and sauvignon blancs..........

if you're storing for later consumption, it's best to keep wine someplace a little damp and at 55degF

For long term storage, absolutely! I used to keep my stash in the crawl space under the house. Even in the worst heat of summer it never got above 65 deg F (about 18 C). And being right on the ground, there was always just a bit of moisture, but not wet. That would have been bad.......

Now of course, I am loving my new Transtherm wine closet! Hygrometry to control the humidity and temp control to keep everything at 11 deg C (52 deg F).

do are you keeping a live Eskimo in your freezer? :) 

now that bods and i have warmed up our acquaintances... we are surely looking forward to your forthcoming visit and a taste from your private collection...

:D :D I like my frozen stuff FROZEN and my cold stuff COLD. Keeps much better that way.

Good wine is meant to be shared. We have a regular Thursday night gathering of photographers at which we sometimes show work, sometimes talk photography but ALWAYS drink a bottle or five. Last night we were all a bit fried for various reasons - pressures of work, a client making an appointment then not showing up - so it was a 3 botlle night for the four of us who showed up. A 97 Retzlaff merlot - nice, smooth tannins, loads of strawberries, a bit of spice and black pepper on the finish. Then a Dry Creek zin, 2002. A bit young, but pretty refreshing. Light enough that we should have chilled it a bit. Last a 99 Alexander Valley cab. THis should have been the first bottle we opened. Our taste buds were already a bit tired by the time we opened this, not to mention the slight buzz from the first two bottles. But it went down well nonetheless. Next time this goes first!

last night, bods, spurt and i drank 2 bottles (thanks to spurt for bringing 2 bottles) while bods bought a  Millstone Shiraz 2001 at Wine Depot.

we drank the shiraz after we made sure that the bottle of cabernet sauvignon (spurt agreed to post the notes) which spurt brought was dry and empty..

like any of the shiraz that i had to share with bods, the Millstone was a pleasure to be with, a deep crimson color which is typical, a spicy earthy (i got a hint of caramel  but there was  a countervailing comment) and a luscious bouquet on the nose.

the taste affirmed its spicy (not oak but peppery) earthy character which our nose revealed at the beginning. hardly any strong tanins. a dry and balance finish.  but it doesn't end there...as the wine "breathed" the character of the Millstone Shiraz 2001 continued to evolve in the palate. truly a marvel.

From your tating notes and all, it seems I missed a really great win EB! :( Oh, well, such is life. It's good to hear that you guys are enjoying wine the way it was meant to be enjoyed - with good food and good friends. Drinking wine by yourself is indeed a lonely experience, which is why I don't drink that much at home - I'm the only drinker in the house, so it's not as engaging an experience as it could be.

From your tating notes and all, it seems I missed a really great win EB!  :(  Oh, well, such is life. It's good to hear that you guys are enjoying wine the way it was meant to be enjoyed - with good food and good friends. Drinking wine by yourself is indeed a lonely experience, which is why I don't drink that much at home - I'm the only drinker in the house, so it's not as engaging an experience as it could be.

we're waiting for you to be here so you can join us...November, pare?

Last night was the only night in a long time that I did not drink at home...as it was I already consumed the Banrock Station in the afternoon - kaya wala na sa gabi :P

I was tempted to open the Searidge, but reason prevailed....that should be available for the next EB.

I was so full of buzz the EB night that I forgot to buy a bottle there...much to my regret last night...

cheers!

have a vino-happy weekend!

Glad to see this thread is alive and kicking thanks to the three musketeers - bods, agxo and masi.  Magkono ba ang ice wine dito sa Pinas?  Mahal ba?  Can we contribute and buy one bottle and drink it sa EB?

sure... but i haven't the faintest idea where to get it... spurt mentioned canadian ice wine at the last meeting .. perhaps we ought to try it...

hmmm i am back..the silent reader and follower of the thread. whew! i really admire how you guys talk about wines!!! superb information..how i'd wish i can appreciate it the way you guys do. how i'd wish i can join your wine EB and be a contributor myself...but...i cant :( not because i dont want to..but it has bad chemistry with my blood...gosh..reading all your posts nalalasing na ako...

hmmm well... for your next EB..i think the only contribution i can give is probably..but i am not promising though...will ask my friend to give you guys good discount when you buy your wine. I am not sure about the collection in the wine shop..but I bet you'll find one that you like. the wine shop is at metrowalk. :) for those of you who happens to go there for gimmick...you know the place. :) that is the only wine shop in the place with antiques too. ;) just let me know ok?

hi to Masi and Bods... ;) :thumbsupsmiley:

Ola Winos! I had a charming afternoon yesterday with some of my alcoholic wino friends exchanging the latest lurid details of our lives. While listening to music ranging from Motown to Annie Lennox to Maxwell, the rain trickling like miniature brooks against the window added to that smoldering feel our amber lit room seemed to create which went excellent with the bottle of Yalumba Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz 2001 we had.

Leathery is how this wine's finish is described in the reviews which must be the reason why I kept pushing my tongue against my palate even long after it had disappeared into that dark deep tunnel called the throat. :lol: I described the wine in an sms to Bods as lusty which was what it felt like with all that tongue rubbing action that happened in that oral orifice. Hahahaha. If I could use the word copious to describe wine I would use just that to describe this drop. Intense, spicy, and creamy --- now my mind is just wandering off in a different direction. :lol: While I generally detest the strong tannin in wines, this drop had a surprisingly pleasant acidity.

I don't know if it was the rain, the ambiance, the company, the stories exchanged or that amalgamation of flavours in the wine but suddenly I felt all my senses being slowly awakened. The great lover Neruda wrote "loving is so short and forgetting so long," but I suppose I can do a little living in between.

Cheers winos!

JoveyB, you might want to try reading the thread from the beginning as there are diffy reds. A whole lotta good ones have been mentioned depending on your palate and preference ;)

Bods & Masi (and anyone else who might know), would you know where I can buy a bottle of Jim Barry Clare CabSav 2000 or the of McRae Wood Shiraz '99? Thanks!

JoveyB, you might want to try reading the thread from the beginning as there are diffy reds.  A whole lotta good ones have been mentioned depending on your palate and preference ;)

Bods & Masi (and anyone else who might know), would you know where I can buy a bottle of Jim Barry Clare CabSav 2000 or the of McRae Wood Shiraz '99?  Thanks!

you may want to check santis in yakal or bacchus at shang makati/ayala side.

hmmm i am back..the silent reader and follower of the thread. whew! i really admire how you guys talk about wines!!! superb information..how i'd wish i can appreciate it the way you guys do. how i'd wish i can join your wine EB and be a contributor myself...but...i cant :( not because i dont want to..but it has bad chemistry with my blood...gosh..reading all your posts nalalasing na ako...

hmmm well... for your next EB..i think the only contribution i can give is probably..but i am not promising though...will ask my friend to give you guys good discount when you buy your wine. I am not sure about the collection in the wine shop..but I bet you'll find one that you like. the wine shop is at metrowalk. :) for those of you who happens to go there for gimmick...you know the place. :) that is the only wine shop in the place with antiques too. ;) just let me know ok?

hi to Masi  and Bods... ;)  :thumbsupsmiley:

hi cutie... thanks for the info... will oblige...

hi to Masi  and Bods... ;)  :thumbsupsmiley:

so there's a wine shop at Metrowalk - really not familiar with the place as I have been there only once.

Will try to have a look-see...thanks a lot!

can we see you there by any chance? :P

Ola Winos!  I had a charming afternoon yesterday with some of my alcoholic wino friends exchanging the latest lurid details of our lives.  While listening to music ranging from Motown to Annie Lennox to Maxwell, the rain trickling like miniature brooks against the window added to that smoldering feel our amber lit room seemed to create which went excellent with the bottle of Yalumba Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz 2001 we had.

Leathery is how this wine's finish is described in the reviews which must be the reason why I kept pushing my tongue against my palate even long after it had disappeared into that dark deep tunnel called the throat. :lol:  I described the wine in an sms to Bods as lusty which was what it felt like with all that tongue rubbing action that happened in that oral orifice. Hahahaha.  If I could use the word copious to describe wine I would use just that to describe this drop.  Intense, spicy, and creamy --- now my mind is just wandering off in a different direction. :lol:  While I generally detest the strong tannin in wines, this drop had a surprisingly pleasant acidity. 

I don't know if it was the rain, the ambiance, the company, the stories exchanged or that amalgamation of flavours in the wine but suddenly I felt all my senses being slowly awakened. The great lover Neruda wrote "loving is so short and forgetting so long," but I suppose I can do a little living in between.

Cheers winos!

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your get-together; interesting music you had too...........

I think the combination of two overpowering grapes like cabernet sauvignon and shiraz would really contribute to that more than leathery feel in the mouth. Cabernet is usually paired with merlot to round off its taste while shiraz is sometimes paired with grenache, which, with its juiciness is used to balance the weight and intensity of a shiraz....

JoveyB, you might want to try reading the thread from the beginning as there are diffy reds.  A whole lotta good ones have been mentioned depending on your palate and preference ;)

Bods & Masi (and anyone else who might know), would you know where I can buy a bottle of Jim Barry Clare CabSav 2000 or the of McRae Wood Shiraz '99?  Thanks!

aha! you have become a connoisseur of the venerable Jim Barry :P

I don't think Jim Barry is available here - their The Armagh is the equivalent of Penfold's Grange - an iconic venerable brand...

you might want to try Green Eggs and Blue Bacon, which I believe is near your place.....

aha! you have become a connoisseur of the venerable Jim Barry :P

I don't think Jim Barry is available here - their The Armagh is the equivalent of Penfold's Grange - an iconic venerable brand...

you might want to try Green Eggs and Blue Bacon, which I believe is near your place.....

Hahahaha .... no connoisseur here Sir Bods, I just read about those two bottles and that one had very light tannin and the other a very sweet finish --- just about what I would love to find in a red. :P

How about you come hunting with me for those bottles? :P

Yes yesterday's background music was just fabulous! Pity you refused to join us. :P

Edited by Lipstick
hi

Anyone knows where to get the bed Red Wine in Town.  How much is the

best Red Wine in Town for a bottle.  I love Red Wine.  It is good for the

heart literally and figuratively

Well, depends on what you mean by "best". What do YOU like? What flavors, body, nose (aroma), tannins, finish? You may not like wht I like, and vice versa. that's what make wine so challenging and so interesting. Do you like fruity, tannic, autere, fleshy?

Can you describe the red wines you like? what flavors do you taste in the wine? What varietals attract you the most? that would help get you some suggestions.

I did try a few good wines today - went to Retzlaff with some friends to pick up some wine he'd bought pre-release. I tasted some of the wine and ended up buying a case, and splitting acase of what he'd pre-bought. I bought a case of the 2003 New Vines Cab. Very yoiung vines (3-4 years) that producce a light, drink-now, wine instead of a weighty put-down-for-7-years kind of wine. Would be nice slightly chilled with BBQ ribs or a good pork loin. Shared a case of Noah's 2001 Zin with him Noah is bob Taylor's son, and has his own winery up in Yountville - not too far from Eagleeyes!! Bob Taylor is winemaker and proprietor of Retzlaff vineyards in Livermore.

Then went to Fenestra to pick up my quarterly release of wines - a 2003 Semonnay (part semillon, part chardonnay), a crisp white with very little oak. A great summer wine. Serve chilled. Then there was the 2002 Malbec - anothyer fine wine. Good backbone of tannins, but nice bing cherries and a light hint of apricot. A bit of pepper on the nos and finish. I will hold this for a year or two before drinking. I ended up buying a 2001 Petit Sirah as well. bold, powerful. Anise and licorice, plum and a bit of raisin. Smoke on the nose and white pepper on the finish. Wow! Hold for at least 3 years.

I like reds over whites, but there are some whiltes that I just can't resist - the Retzlaff chards are just outstanding, as are the semonnays and viogniers from Fenestra.

Next week is the 4th of July - time for my annual bad wine contest, and good wine drinkfest. A bunch of good friends come over to eat, drink and be merry. And, coincidentally, watch the fireworks shows that at least 4 different places put on - Great america, Moffet Field, Shoreline and downtown San Jose. Can't wait. Black meat, smoke baby back ribs, and wine, wine, wine!

Well, depends on what you mean by "best". What do YOU like? What flavors, body, nose (aroma), tannins, finish? You may not like wht I like, and vice versa. that's what make wine so challenging and so interesting. Do you like fruity, tannic, autere, fleshy?

Can you describe the red wines you like? what flavors do you taste in the wine? What varietals attract you the most? that would help get you some suggestions.

I did try a few good wines today - went to Retzlaff with some friends to pick up some wine he'd bought pre-release. I tasted some of the wine and ended up buying a case, and splitting acase of what he'd pre-bought. I bought a case of the 2003 New Vines Cab. Very yoiung vines (3-4 years) that producce a light, drink-now, wine instead of a weighty put-down-for-7-years kind of wine. Would be nice slightly chilled with BBQ ribs or a good pork loin. Shared a case of Noah's 2001 Zin with him Noah is bob Taylor's son, and has his own winery up in Yountville - not too far from Eagleeyes!! Bob Taylor is winemaker and proprietor of Retzlaff vineyards in Livermore.

Then went to Fenestra to pick up my quarterly release of wines - a 2003 Semonnay (part semillon, part chardonnay), a crisp white with very little oak. A great summer wine. Serve chilled. Then there was the 2002 Malbec - anothyer fine wine. Good backbone of tannins, but nice bing cherries and a light hint of apricot. A bit of pepper on the nos and finish. I will hold this for a year or two before drinking. I ended up buying a 2001 Petit Sirah as well. bold, powerful. Anise and licorice, plum and a bit of raisin. Smoke on the nose and white pepper on the finish. Wow! Hold for at least 3 years.

I like reds over whites, but there are some whiltes that I just can't resist - the Retzlaff chards are just outstanding, as are the semonnays and viogniers from Fenestra.

Next week is the 4th of July - time for my annual bad wine contest, and good wine drinkfest. A bunch of good friends come over to eat, drink and be merry. And, coincidentally, watch the fireworks shows that at least 4 different places put on - Great america, Moffet Field, Shoreline and downtown San Jose. Can't wait. Black meat, smoke baby back ribs, and wine, wine, wine!

have a good one!!!! seems like bods and i might have good reason to celebrate Fil-Am friendship day as well. what say you, bods?!!!

Hahahaha .... no connoisseur here Sir Bods, I just read about those two bottles and that one had very light tannin and the other a very sweet finish --- just about what I would love to find in a red. :P

How about you come hunting with me for those bottles? :P 

Yes yesterday's background music was just fabulous!  Pity you refused to join us. :P

come hunting? that sounds like a plan :P

when that is - God only knows :lol:

I might feel out of place - me being not a regular at the AA....

Jim Barry makes outstanding wines - his flagship The Armagh approaches the iconic status of the Grange but at somewhat a fraction of the price. The second-tier Mcrae Wood would in fact qualify as the top-of-the-line brand of several other wineries. They both are "bloody rippers of a wine."