Back To The 70's

people's journal, i believe, was set up during the 70s as kinse, the half pinoy-afro american kid of the tisoy komiks strip. the tabloid featured a lot of sex stories (mostly fantasies) and sex news. the tabloid gradually grew out of this phase to become the government mouthpiece it is today when it was seized by the PCGG in the cory era.

still trying to find that first edition though....

pepsi paloma rape case - the sensational story of the time

pati ang manager nilang si (kap) rey dela cruz (baranggay capt sa quiapo) ay pinatay na rin in broad daylight

d softdrink beauties

pepsi paloma

sarsi emanuelle (d best)

coca nicholas

d political beauties

ana maceda (now osang roces)

etc.

maybe you guys can fill this list better than i can

bait bait ko nuun ha :lol:

Yeah, you're right.

I saw the sister of my ex-gf and siempre I asked how is she? She was so surprised that I didn't know that her sister is dead. She died last year, and it was published in the obituaries of both The Bulletin and The Inquirer. They didn't know how to reach me. It was an awkward moment. Sad and awkward.

That's so sad, pareng storm. I can only try to imagine how you must have felt. I guess we all come to a point where we entertain notions of seeing people who were once dear (and often still are) to us, kahit minsan lang, especially those whom we parted with na may konting sama ng loob. Or, in case of the person having gone, yung makapagpaalam ka lang sana, kahit sa burol lamang.

Because we're really at that stage. When I reunited with my high school graduating class a few years ago, I learned that several of the guys had already died while a couple were in bad shape. It seems that the guys who were doing so well were the doctors. Mga patients kasi nila, e batchmate din nila. O kaya anak ng batchmate. Hinihintay nga nila ako para magpatingin sa atay!

tempo came out in 1977 at 10 centavos lang. i have a copy of people's where tito sotto, joey de leon were on the front page accused of raping the late pepsi paloma and guada guarin. mero din akong last copy ng daily express. also, would anyone be interested in buying a 1935 copy of manila herald with pres manuel quezon on the front page?

pareng sally bogna mathay, can you scan the front cover of that tempo article and have it attached here? or you can send it to me direct via my email? generation of today doesn't have any knowledge of that scandal. it would be amusing to see the reactions of today's youth when they read that article. I remember it was vic sotto, joey de leon and richie d' horshie that was charged....after months later vic sotto and dina bonevie went to splitsville.

I have an old Manila Times 1989 article with a headline MARCOS DEAD. And a Manila Bulletin 1986 article with MARCOS and AQUINO being proclaim as presidents at the same time.

Edited by Anaheim
pareng sally bogna mathay, can you scan the front cover of that tempo article and have it attached here? or you can send it to me direct via my email? generation of today doesn't have any knowledge of that scandal. it would be amusing to see the reactions of today's youth when they read that article. I remember it was vic sotto, joey de leon and richie d' horshie that was charged....after months later vic sotto and dina bonevie went to splitsville.

Hehehe Di ba di natin masabi yan sa showbiz scandals thread? But the proof of the accusation is there. Basta laging mag "alleged" OK lang.

More TV shows/events from the 1970s:

Kwentong Kutchero (Subas Herrero was great as a Spanish mestizo trying to speak Tagalog; so was the Lolo, who would go crazy at the mere mention of hotpants)

Cleopatra (with Maya/Mitch Valdez; ala Cleopatra Jones)

Jesus Christ Superstar (with Bernardo Bernardo, Tommy Abuel, and Lorice Guillen lipsyncing the stage production that featured Murray Head)

Fistorama

Multi-network coverages of Marcos or Imelda leaving for or arriving from a trip abroad; no choice, it was either watch or turn off the TV

Harry Gasser at the MIA (yes, MIA!) with the arrival of the Concorde

Evel Knievel jumping with his motorcycle over 14 buses. Minalas kasi sa 13 buses; daming nabaling buto.

The introduction of Amado Pineda, the first real meteorologist to be featured in a local news show. "That's the latest from PAGASA." A star is born.

Thrillseekers (with Chuck Connors as narrator)

Little House on the Prairie

The Waltons

The final years of Bonanza and Gunsmoke

Ironside (with Raymund Burr, the original Perry Mason)

Wonder Woman (can't remember her name!)

Sunday Suspense Theater sa RPN-9 (usually British productions)

The Carol Burnett show

Cher!

The Frost-Nixon interviews

And, of course, for most of us, the biggest thing about TV then. WALA PANG REMOTE! Kailangan tumayo para ilipat yung channel.

Wonder Woman (can't remember her name!)

siyempre may "alleged" yun. hehehe

pareng jt2003 - si linda carter yung wonder woman.

70s RPN 9 - kapag nakita natin may "time clock" sa left lower corner ng tv screen siguradong channel 9 yun. kapag i-aadjust natin yung relos natin bubuksan lang natin ang tv at tignan ang oras sa channel 9. hanggang ngayon ganuon pa rin hindi man lang nag advance techologically in terms of appearance.

That's so sad, pareng storm. I can only try to imagine how you must have felt. I guess we all come to a point where we entertain notions of seeing people who were once dear (and often still are) to us, kahit minsan lang, especially those whom we parted with na may konting sama ng loob. Or, in case of the person having gone, yung makapagpaalam ka lang sana, kahit sa burol lamang.

Because we're really at that stage. When I reunited with my high school graduating class a few years ago, I learned that several of the guys had already died while a couple were in bad shape. It seems that the guys who were doing so well were the doctors. Mga patients kasi nila, e batchmate din nila. O kaya anak ng batchmate. Hinihintay nga nila ako para magpatingin sa atay!

Yeah, we had some goodtimes and mahal na mahal pa naman ako nun. I last saw her about 6 months before she died and I could still remember the sparkle in her eyes when she greeted me. :wub:

Sa batch namin nung highschool, 3 died already -- lung cancer, kidney failure, accident. Some undergone kidney transplant, bypass operation.

Lakas mo kasing tumoma bro. Nag-aalala na ba sila?

Mga usong terms nung 70s

Syota - girlfriend

Toma - drink

Toga - shoes

Tsikot - car

bopol - dumb

bumper to bumper - big boobs with matching big ass

bread, datung - money

one of the best concerts in the 70s, 1974 ata, was the blood, sweat and tears gig at araneta. hindi siya gaano kapuno, kaya lahat ng nasa bleachers pinababa. great music kahit medyo tunog lata with the accoustics then. yung concert ni deodato was also great. napatid yung isang string ni john tropea at nagtanong siya if someone in the crowd had a spare.

one of the best concerts in the 70s, 1974 ata, was the blood, sweat and tears gig at araneta. hindi siya gaano kapuno, kaya lahat ng nasa bleachers pinababa. great music kahit medyo tunog lata with the accoustics then. yung concert ni deodato was also great. napatid yung isang string ni john tropea at nagtanong siya if someone in the crowd had a spare.

concerts that I've seen in the 1970s was the JACKSON 5 concert at the Araneta coliseum...teenager palang si michael jackson, it was a thrill seeing michael jackson do the robot, the swirl....hindi pa niya ginagawa yung moonwalk at that time (michael jackson blasted into superstardom in 1983 during the motown special singing BILY JEAN). another one which I saw with my mom was THE OSMOND BROTHERS concert in 1974 also at the Araneta coliseum....kasikatan ng mga mormon group yung time na yon with Marie Osmond singing "Paper Roses" (naguumpisa palang sumikat si marie osmond - prelude to donny and marie tv show). There was a brewing rivalry on who's the best betwwen michael jackson and donny osmond in those days specially seen at the grammy awards in 1974.

I misssed the Deodato concert kasi hindi ako pinayagan ng strict kong parents. I had some of his albums though until someone stole them.

Before Nike dominated the athletic shoe market, the 70s were dominated by Adidas and Puma. Does anyone remember Adidas ROM and Superstar? These styles appear to be amking a comeback.

Products from the 70's that are no longer around.

DRIVE DETERGENT

FRESS ROOTBEER

CHOCOVIM

JACK AND JILL PRAWN CURLS

APARON FLAKES

Products from the 70's that are no longer around.

DRIVE DETERGENT

FRESS ROOTBEER

CHOCOVIM

JACK AND JILL PRAWN CURLS

APARON FLAKES

Pelota Racket made also by YONEX.

ABC Rubber shoes

NBA Rubber Shoes (the one with 4 stripes)

Liberty Condesed Milk

Meron pa bang Ajax at saka Dutch Cleanser?

One of the biggest events of the 1970s.

THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES, featuring Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King.

Talo mga kelots! Hehehe.

It simply confirmed what we all know. The female is the stronger sex.

HBO (I think) made a movie out of it. Still, you have to wonder how much was showbiz and how much was real. At the time, Bobby Riggs was 55; in tennis, that makes you a grandfather. Still, Billie Jean King was great, running everywhere. She was tireless. As Riggs himself said in an interview during the match "She's fast!"

Before there was Navratilova or Serena Williams, there was Billie Jean, who showed awesome power in women's tennis.

kasabayan nya nuon sina Margaret Court, Virginia Wade....then came Chris Evert.

The 70's was the time of the 3 great Australian tennis players - John Newcombe, Rod Laver and Ken Rosewall. After them came the era of Bjorn Borg, Ilie Nastase, Stan Smith...great players all!

kasabayan nya nuon sina Margaret Court, Virginia Wade....then came Chris Evert.

The 70's was the time of the 3 great Australian tennis players - John Newcombe, Rod Laver and Ken Rosewall. After them came the era of Bjorn Borg, Ilie Nastase, Stan Smith...great players all!

Pareng bods, palibhasa e 33 ka lang.

Rod Laver won his two Grandslams in the 1960s. I believe it was 1962 and 1968. I watched him in the 1970s during those WCT Invitational tournaments that they used to show on TV. By then he was like a Pete Sampras of 2002. Really struggling. When you're over 30 in tennis, you're an old man.

There was a much hyphed-up match between Jimmy Connors and John Newcombe, which the former won. Connors popularized the double-barrelled backhand. And the grunt. Then there were those Connors-Orantes matches.

Of course, the great Bjorn Borg. He ruled Wimbledon in the latter half of 1970s. Five straight titles.

Ilie Nastase was, well, Nasty (as they called him then). Hehehe. Pati ballboy gusto upakan. Or was that just showbiz?

Stan Smith was more of a Davis Cup standout, although he did win Wimbledon, defeating Nasty in the finals.

During that time, everyone seemed to have a crush on Chris Evert. She was just so cute! There was also that "romance" between Evert and Connors.

But then Connors went on to marry a Playboy Playmate of the Year! Now SHE was a stunner! I just can't remember her name. But I just can't forget those nude photos....

Edited by jt2003
Pareng bods, palibhasa e 33 ka lang.

Rod Laver won his two Grandslams in the 1960s. I believe it was 1962 and 1968. I watched him in the 1970s during those WCT Invitational tournaments that they used to show on TV. By then he was like a Pete Sampras of 2002. Really struggling. When you're over 30 in tennis, you're an old man.

There was a much hyphed-up match between Jimmy Connors and John Newcombe, which the former won. Connors popularized the double-barrelled backhand. And the grunt. Then there were those Connors-Orantes matches.

Of course, the great Bjorn Borg. He ruled Wimbledon in the latter half of 1970s. Five straight titles.

Ilie Nastase was, well, Nasty (as they called him then). Hehehe. Pati ballboy gusto upakan. Or was that just showbiz?

Stan Smith was more of a Davis Cup standout, although he did win Wimbledon, defeating Nasty in the finals.

During that time, everyone seemed to have a crush on Chris Evert. She was just so cute! There was also that "romance" between Evert and Connors.

But then Connors went on to marry a Playboy Playmate of the Year! Now SHE was a stunner! I just can't remember her name. But I just can't forget those nude photos....

pare I got my generations mixed up na siguro :P malapit na kasi akong mag-35 eh hehehe.......

Nastase was the Bad Boy then...

Manuel Orantes -yeah that great player from Spain. How could I have missed him!

Chris Evert was real pretty talaga - on and off yung romance nila ni Jimmy Connors. John McEnroe came later and he inherited the Bad Boy mantle from Ilie...showbiz yung napangasawa nya - si Tatum O'Neal...

Some of the great rivals of Borg then were, if I'm not mistaken now hehehe, Guillermo Vilas and Vitas Gerulaitis.....

John Newcombe...he with that handlebar mustache...

John McEnroe came later and he inherited the Bad Boy mantle from Ilie

Hehehe. Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s. McEnroe and Nasty (no disrespect meant, but that's what they called him) met in a WCT indoor tournament that really flopped in terms of attendance. Perhaps that took a toll on the participants. On one occasion (and this was unforgettable!), nagkaalitan si McEnroe at si Nasty. On the very next play, McEnroe hit the ball straight toward Nasty's face. Nasty just managed to avoid the ball. The commentator, Cliff Drysdale (tama ba spelling?), a South African, could only say, "This is disgusting."

Hehehe. Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s. McEnroe and Nasty (no disrespect meant, but that's what they called him) met in a WCT indoor tournament that really flopped in terms of attendance. Perhaps that took a toll on the participants. On one occasion (and this was unforgettable!), nagkaalitan si McEnroe at si Nasty. On the very next play, McEnroe hit the ball straight toward Nasty's face. Nasty just managed to avoid the ball. The commentator, Cliff Drysdale (tama ba spelling?), a South African, could only say, "This is disgusting."

Cliff Drysdale was also a former tennis pro - kasabayan yan nina Stan Smith.

Wooden tennis rackets pa gamit nun :P