Back To The 70's

let's not forget ms. Margarita Moran who won the MISS UNIVERSE title in Athens, Greece in 1973. The Philippines was recognized worldwide and what a better way to celebrate this? - Build the FOLKS ARTS THEATER as soon as possible, time pressured courtesy of Imelda Marcos.

The Miss Universe pageant was held at the Folk Arts Theater in 1974 with Bob Barker (The Price is Right) as host. Names like Amparo Munoz (Miss Spain), Miss Aruba were the fantasies of pinoy testosterone-surging males at that time. PAF fighter jets seeded the sky to prevent the rains from falling down during the event, courtesy of Ferdinand Marcos.

Edited by Anaheim

bos twoballs pareho kayo ni utol na crash c shawie noong teeny pa lang sya :D

bos anaheim was referring to saturday morning cartoons noon sa RPN9

the mightor - mody dick show

road runner - looney tunes show

miss aruba did a movie here with toyotas francis arnaiz as the pogi bad guy trying to steal her away from tatlong itlog (yata) - MISS ARUBA WENT TO TOWN

the gas rationig/conservation era also marked the rise of larry alcala to prominence - his ASIONG AKSAYA character did everything wastefully and went from the printed page to the big screen starring chiquito

from another dyaryo comics rose Tisoy (nonoy marcelo), a parody on the colonial mentality of the pinoys. among tisoy's guest include habdul-dabdul a ten foot tall import playing for a local basketball league (bano nga lang). this is honor of KAREEM ABDUL JABBAR who visited the country and did some spots including DAISY's LONG LIFE MILK.

Grabe yung gas rationing na yun! I still remember the "tickets" that were distributed. Parang sa cinehan.

Anyway, TV programs and miniseries from the 1970s (some already mentioned earlier)

Roots

Rich Man, Poor Man

Captains and the Kings

Once an Eagle

The Moneychangers

Wheels

Caribbe

Dan August

Starsky and Hutch

Tales of the Unexpected

The Streets of San Francisco

Kojak

Policewoman

Randolph & Hopkirk

The Persuaders

UFO

Space 1999

Dr. Who

Toma

Police Story

Gibbsville

Hawaii Five O

Dallas (nagsimula sa 70s)

Boarding House (with Pugo & Patsy)

My Son, My Son

Malikmata

The Helen Gamboa Show

Okey Lang

Discorama

Battle of the Network Stars

Grabe yung gas rationing na yun!  I still remember the "tickets" that were distributed.  Parang sa cinehan.

Anyway, TV programs and miniseries from the 1970s (some already mentioned earlier)

Roots

Rich Man, Poor Man

Captains and the Kings

Once an Eagle

The Moneychangers

Wheels

Caribbe

Dan August

Starsky and Hutch

Tales of the Unexpected

The Streets of San Francisco

Kojak

Policewoman

Randolph & Hopkirk

The Persuaders

UFO

Space 1999

Dr. Who

Toma

Police Story

Gibbsville

Hawaii Five O

Dallas (nagsimula sa 70s)

Boarding House (with Pugo & Patsy)

My Son, My Son

Malikmata

The Helen Gamboa Show

Okey Lang

Discorama

Battle of the Network Stars

Boarding House? hindi ba WANTED BOARDERS with mildred ortega, pugo, patsy, tange?

idagdag ko lang yung KUNG FU - kasikatan ni bruce lee mga panahon na yun kaya patok yung kung fu ni david carradine "if you catch the pebble in my hand it will be time for you to leave"

Malikmata - vic diaz as host

dan august - bert reynolds

Police Woman - angie dickinson

streets of san francisco - michael douglas upro hairdo, karl malden

kojak - telly 'baby' savalas ...laging may lollipop

Edited by Anaheim
Boarding House? hindi ba WANTED BOARDERS with mildred ortega, pugo, patsy, tange?

kojak - telly 'baby' savalas ...laging may lollipop

Yes, same show. "Wanted Boarders" nga siguro. Laging nananyansing si Pugo sa mga female boarders nila. :lol:

At si Telly Savalas ang nagpa-uso ng lollipop as a way of quitting smoking. I believe during the early years of Kojak, yosi ang hawak niya.

More TV from the 1970s....

Quincy, ME (with Jack Klugman)

McMillan & Wife (with Rock Hudson)

Colombo (with Peter Faulk)

The Blue Knight (with George Kennedy)

The Night Gallery (with Rod Serling)

Baa Baa Blacksheep (with Robert Conrad)

Operation Petticoat (with Jamie Lee Curtis)

Hill Street Blues (the original "authentic" cop drama)

Canon (yung matabang detective, named something Conrad)

Ghost Story (with Sebastian Cabott)

The Magician (with Bill Bixby)

The Incredible Hulk (with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno)

Man from Atlantis (with that actor from Dallas who played Bobby Ewing)

Fantastic Journey (with Jared Martin and now director Carl Franklin)

SWAT (with Robert Urich)

The Invisible Man (with David McCallum)

The Six Million Dollar Man (with Lee Majors)

The Bionic Woman (with Lindsey Wagner)

Rennaisance Television (with Doroy Valencia)

Edited by jt2003

pinoy action stars of the 70's

heavily influenced by bruce lee these guys made several action flicks, mostly on kung fu themes

(mayor) rey malonzo

ramon zamora

meng fei

chiquito made a popular comedy-action series that featured MR. WONG

pidol was CAPTEN BARBELL

jun aristorenas was tony falcon (ala james bond)

weng-weng was d short guy that starred in several action flicks, including one with nino mulach

and dont forget - mayor vilma santos was DARNA !!!!!

Pre, si Tony Ferrer ata ang nag Tony Falcon. Di ba laging dala nya noon yung puti niyang automatic? :lol: :lol:

Another action star of the 1970s: Roberto Gonzalez

Di ba si Ramon Zamora nagkaroon pa nga ng TV series entitled "Dragon"? Earlier, mayroon siyang sine na "The Pig Boss."

pinoy action stars of the 70's

heavily influenced by bruce lee these guys made several action flicks, mostly on kung fu themes

(mayor) rey malonzo

ramon zamora

meng fei

chiquito made a popular comedy-action series that featured MR. WONG

pidol was CAPTEN BARBELL

weng-weng was d short guy that starred in several action flicks, including one with nino mulach

and dont forget - mayor vilma santos was DARNA !!!!!

Mr Wong - "kita tale, kita tale"

Ramon Zamora - pinoy bruce lee, complete imitation up to the last shout. i remember rey malonzo doing the chako.

Tony Ferrer was agent x-44 tony falcon, not jun aristorenas :)

More TV from the 1970s....

Quincy, ME (with Jack Klugman)

McMillan & Wife (with Rock Hudson)

Colombo (with Peter Faulk)

The Blue Knight (with George Kennedy)

The Night Gallery (with Rod Serling)

Baa Baa Blacksheep (with Robert Conrad)

Operation Petticoat (with Jamie Lee Curtis)

Hill Street Blues (the original "authentic" cop drama)

Canon (yung matabang detective, named something Conrad)

Ghost Story (with Sebastian Cabott)

The Magician (with Bill Bixby)

The Incredible Hulk (with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno)

Man from Atlantis (with that actor from Dallas who played Bobby Ewing)

Fantastic Journey (with Jared Martin and now director Carl Franklin)

SWAT (with Robert Urich)

The Invisible Man (with David McCallum)

The Six Million Dollar Man (with Lee Majors)

The Bionic Woman (with Lindsey Wagner)

Rennaisance Television (with Doroy Valencia)

Parick Duffy was the man from atlantis.....that show only lasted for one season...hindi yata nag click...the show was cancelled due to low ratings sa u.s.....patrick duffy found fame at the hit tv series dallas with larry hagman ( i dream of jeanie)

80s na iyan bos/madame(?) twoballs, dr.j was with the ABA b4 it merged with the NBA. pero nadale nyo origins of jolibee, a soda fountain in qc

the MOST IMPORTANT EVENT that shaped the 70s

G A S R A T I O N I N G

in 1974 as the @#%##^ OPEC decided to stop being business and become the greedy cartel they are today

Wala kaming problema nun sa Gas kasi we owned a Gas Station noon. Dami nagreregalo nun, makakuha lang ng gas and diesel. :lol:

The movies from the 70's that made tremendous impact:

The Exorcist

The Poseidon Adventure

Towering Inferno starring Steve McQueen and Paul Newman

Airport

Earthquake in "Sensurround"

Soylent Green

and the movie that gave me the creeps to go to the beach;

JAWS

yup, I've experienced that "sensurround" thing in cinemas equipped with huge bass speakers. when the earthquake sequence begin...the speakers will blast a bass-like sound giving the viewers a sense of trembling sensation just like you're in a real earthquake situation.

the disaster movies were a box office hit in that decade spawning some not-too-good sequels - Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, Airport 2, Airport 3, Jaws 2, Jaws 3, Jaws 3D :blink:

Some unforgettable moments from the 1970s.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar slipped into the country, thinking he wouldn't be recognized. Apparently, his travel agent didn't know that this good old RP is basketball crazy. So he got into the pool at the Manila Intercon ... and was mobbed by kids asking for his autograph. He left the Philippines the very next day. There was even an article in one newspaper with the title, "Yes, Virginia, Kareem was here."

Also from the 1970s, the very first NBA finals I was able to watch on TV. Milwaukee, with Oscar Robertson and Lew Alcindor (later Kareem), vs. Baltimore, with Wes Unseld and Earl Monroe. Alcindor (Kareem) was phenomenal. Not just tall, but lightning quick.

Favorite NBA team of the 1970s: The 1976-77 76ers. with Dr. J, McGinnis, Doug Collins. Sayang, they lost to Walton's Trailblazers in the finals. That was the series which showed that it sometimes doesn't pay to be a peacemaker. There was a near fight between McGinnis and Lucas, and Doug Collins the peacemaker ended up being the one punched.

Then there was that visit by six NBA players who played a series of games with the national team. The visiting NBA stars included Earl Monroe, Calvin Murphy, Gail Goodrich, and Elvin Hayes.

yup, I've experienced that "sensurround" thing in cinemas equipped with huge bass speakers. when the earthquake sequence begin...the speakers will blast a bass-like sound giving the viewers a sense of trembling sensation just like you're in a real earthquake situation.

the disaster movies were a box office hit in that decade spawning some not-too-good sequels - Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, Airport 2, Airport 3, Jaws 2, Jaws 3, Jaws 3D :blink:

The first disco that gave me the 'sensurround' feel was Queue Disco at the Regent of Manila.

Talagang heart pounding bass.

The <A TITLE="Click for more information about movies" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||movies|AA1VDw">movies</A> from the 70's that made tremendous impact:

The Exorcist

The Poseidon Adventure

Towering Inferno starring Steve McQueen and Paul Newman

Airport

Soylent Green

and the movie that gave me the creeps to go to the beach;

JAWS

JAWS??? di ba 80s movie yun? i remember watching it when i was in grade school pa. meron pa ngang ORCA di ba? ung killer whale...

feel free to correct me if im wrong po...

On May 8, 1970 Willis Reed provided one the most heroic efforts in the history of sport, when he unexpectedly limped from the locker room, in uniform, just in time for the tip-off. Reed's effort galvanized the Knicks. Walt Frazier scored 36 points and dished out 19 assists as they defeated the Los Angeles Lakers in a dramatic game seven to win their first NBA Championship, 113-99.

In 1971, Milwaukee swept that series 4-0. The following year, Earl Monroe transferred to New York Knicks and reached the finals againts the Lakers but lost 1-4 againts the Chamberlain led Lakers. The following year, they bounced back against the Lakers and had their last taste of being the NBA Champion. Walt Frazier, Dave Debusschere, Phil Jackson was with the Knicks then.

JAWS??? di ba 80s movie yun? i remember watching it when i was in grade school pa. meron pa ngang ORCA di ba? ung killer whale...

feel free to correct me if im wrong po...

Hija, Jaws was first shown in 1975. Directed by Steven Spielberg from the bestseller with the same title by Peter Benchley. I was barely in high school then. :lol:

ok. thanks for the info. i was born in 77 kase eh, and i remember seeing JAWS in the 80s.

Jaws by steven spielberg was released in 1975

Jaws 2 in 1978

succeeding sequels were jaws 3, jaws 3D which were all released in the 1980s....

I think the movie that started the TREND of sequels that imparts extension such as Parts II, III, IV etc. was THE GODFATHER. That movie by francis ford coppola and mario puzo inspired a sequel GODFATHER PART II which was credited as "more superior" than the original, it was a box office hit. Eventually, movie producers cashing-in on the new bankable trend started making sequels of their movie hits but most sequels were mediocre standards.

on-topic:

the 70s were the "Disco years" made even more popular by the film SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER with the sound of the Bee Gees which spawned vocal imitations made by the Local pinoy bands VST AND COMPANY, SING-SING..."oh babe, isang tingin mo la-ha-ha-hang".

Foreign songs mixed with tagalog lyrics...THE WAY WE WERE ..."namamasyal pa sa Luneta...kahit walang pera" made popular by Rico Puno were a huge hit locally, as with the original kilabot ng kolehiyala Haji Alejandro's rendition of PANAKIP BUTAS. These songs were formulaic hits that gave birth to OPM (Original Pinoy Music).

Foreign songs mixed with tagalog lyrics...THE WAY WE WERE ..."namamasyal pa sa Luneta...kahit walang pera" made popular by Rico Puno were a huge hit locally, as with the original kilabot ng kolehiyala Haji Alejandro's rendition of PANAKIP BUTAS. These songs were formulaic hits that gave birth to OPM (Original Pinoy Music).

Other hits that involved Tagalog lyrics in foreign songs:

Tito Mina's "Ikaw pa rin"

Hajji's "Tag-araw"

There was also that Taglish version of "I won't last a day without you" by the Rainmakers (I think!)

Dami pa. I just can't recall them at the moment.

Sa baligtad naman, the Lettermen recorded a Tagalog song with English lyrics: "Dahil sa Iyo." ("Because of You")

I remember one talk show where Armida Siguion Reyna debated with ______ Gonzalez (the former congressman, na ama ni Kring-Kring) on the issue. Armida apparently hated the idea of putting Tagalog lyrics into foreign songs.

Other 70s tidbits ...

Sunday, Sweet Sunday (with Jimmy Melendrez)

Uncle Bob & Friends (featuring Joselito Pascual on piano)

DWRT when it was still album-oriented

Edited by jt2003