Back To The 70's

Commercials - during the 70s

1. Marca Piña Soy Sauce - Mommy says "Piñakamasarap" and the child replied "Piña-nyap!" ....mommy : "Piña..ka...ma..sa..rap"

child : "Piña-nyap!"

2. Coke - "It's the Real Thing"....I'd like to teach the world to sing and furnish it with love, grow apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves...." Coke gave away Yo-Yos in those days with its red color trademark.

3. Ajinomoto - Tak Tak Tak sa Ajinomoto

4. Liberty Condensada and Darigold (channel 11 - Darigold Jamboree game show)

5. Sunkist - in a pyramidal shape packaging (tetra pack na ngayon)

6. Chippy from Jack N Jill

7. Gard Shampoo - ay si Charling Balakubak! or the commercial....a bald man sadly exclaimed "sayang, walang gard nuong araw"

8. Apple Sidra and Canada Dry

9. Tide Commercial - "Kung may one-man-woman, ako naman ay one-woman-soap."

10. Royal True Orange - WOW-WOW-WOW BOTENG UMI-ILAW commercial promo. they gave away flashlights in the shape of a Royal True-Orange bottle.

Edited by Anaheim

Remember Pepe Pimentel's Clubhouse 9 on RPN channel 9 ? "good afternoon everybody, welcome to clubhouse 9 here on channel 9, I am your bulilit announcer for today" , Clubhouse 9 was telecast from the Kanlaon building at Dewey Boulevard (Roxas Boulevard today)....wala na yung kanlaon building...it was replaced by the RAF mansion near the seaside wet market in baclaran

actually madami sila - sina Greg, Manny, Bobby. I can't quite place Ronald.

Ngayon si Bobby na lang nandun - aircon na yung place nila sa basement :P

yup, bobby has a great collection. he can get you almost anything. i did not know may shop na rin pala si greg (eto ba si greg tangkad?). mostly rock ang collection niya. kay manny ko nabili yung unang album ng earth, wind and fire. ronald used to be the partner of bobby. the two probably have the most extensive collection of lps in rp.

pare I got my generations mixed up na siguro :P malapit na kasi akong mag-35 eh hehehe.......

Nastase was the Bad Boy then...

Manuel Orantes -yeah that great player from Spain. How could I have missed him!

Chris Evert was real pretty talaga - on and off yung romance nila ni Jimmy Connors. John McEnroe came later and he inherited the Bad Boy mantle from Ilie...showbiz yung napangasawa nya - si Tatum O'Neal...

Some of the great rivals of Borg then were, if I'm not mistaken now hehehe, Guillermo Vilas and Vitas Gerulaitis.....

John Newcombe...he with that handlebar mustache...

About Tennis pa rin.

Arthur Ashe defeated Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon in 1975. He used a Head metal alloy racket while Connors had a Wilson T2000. He was the first Afro-American to win the Wimbledon.

And since we're on lifestyle and fashion, the tennis bracelet was first worn by Chris Evert. Thus the name tennis bracelet.

post-52-1088046422.jpg

Yeah, pare! AQUALUNG! CROSS-EYED MARY! Great group, that....

aqualung is one of my all-time favorite albums. ditto with led zep 4. steely dan's aja, and jimmy hendrix's are you experienced. it's sad we (and the younger generation) can't listen to any of their songs on radio. they don't know what they're missing. keep on rockin'!!! question, 'tol, yung bang maskara album ng juan de la cruz may cd na?

kasabayan nya nuon sina Margaret Court, Virginia Wade....then came Chris Evert.

The 70's was the time of the 3 great Australian tennis players - John Newcombe, Rod Laver and Ken Rosewall. After them came the era of Bjorn Borg, Ilie Nastase, Stan Smith...great players all!

The third great Australian player from the 70s was a woman. Evonne Goolagong-Cawley. She won the Wimbledon in 1971.

post-52-1088047034.jpg

more on tennis in the 70s. nastase and mcenroe were great touch tennis players. they never stayed rooted to the baseline, like most of today's players who just try to outhit each other. the two could mix their game; they could hit line winners in one game and shift to drop shots and lobs in the next, keeping their opponent confused. ngayon kasi, the likes of coria and safin, and even sampras and agassi in their prime, bira lang ng bira at nagihintay ka magkamali. walang finesse, it's all about power. mcenroe and nastase also had charisma despite their tempers. in fact, i read na mcenroe saying he used his anger against linesmen and cameramen to fuel his desire to play better. he also admits having "experimented" with social drugs (read: he also smokes dope, like many in my generation). today, only sina kuerten, moya and a few others have a sense of humor. i also enjoyed watching guillermo vilas. di ba kay connors na uso yung unang nike with the sky blue colored swish logo? some trivia: gerulaitis never won a match against borg, borg never won a us open, mcenroe never won the french open, connors never won the aussie open, but all won at wimbledon.

yup, bobby has a great collection. he can get you almost anything. i did not know may shop na rin pala si greg (eto ba si greg tangkad?). mostly rock ang collection niya. kay manny ko nabili yung unang album ng earth, wind and fire. ronald used to be the partner of bobby. the two probably have the most extensive collection of lps in rp.

now I remember Ronald - he was this tall thin guy who hangs around a lot in Bobby's store. Haven't seen him in a long while. I'm not sure if it was Greg's store - baka tambay din lang siya duon pero when I'm there sya nag-aalok sa akin ng plaka. Yup he's the tall mestizo guy with prematurely graying hair. He's actually the brother of the actress Barbara Perez. Sabi ni Bob, sometimes get-together pa din sila ni Greg. Si Manny naman yan yung kinaiinisan nila kasi mayabang. He had this store Skidrow - remember that?

aqualung is one of my all-time favorite albums. ditto with led zep 4. steely dan's aja, and jimmy hendrix's are you experienced. it's sad we (and the younger generation) can't listen to any of their songs on radio. they don't know what they're missing. keep on rockin'!!! question, 'tol, yung bang maskara album ng juan de la cruz may cd na?

I love all of Steely Dan's albums - ginawa ko ngang member title yun isang song nila eh :P and my very first avatar here was that of Donald Fagen hahaha. Yeah it's sad that nowhere on radio now can you hear music like that kaya kailangan kumpleto na lang yung mga CD natin at plaka ng mga yun.

Dunno if Mascara is available on CD. But I saw an LP of that in Bobby's store a few months back and it has become so expensive - naging collector's item na - kahit wasak na yung cover! Madaming naghahanap dun ng mga 70's pinoy rock kaya kung meron kayo you can sell it to them.

In a way yes. But to be more specific, I'm referring to the easy rider bicycle. Uso yun nung 70s.

I wish I could remember that, pareng storm But during the 70s, I was really crazy about bikes. One of my happiest moments was getting a racer bike as a gift from my grandmother. I followed the Tour of Luzon news religiously. Samson Etrata was my favorite. In my neighborhood, we would race around a couple of blocks. I was always the last to start because I had the racer. Handicap ba. But those were great times. Except for the occasional semplangs! Aray!

I think these were the bikes ridden by Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper in their cult 70's film EASY RIDER....

pucha, that movie opened my eyes to the wonderful world of harleys and husqvarnas, nortons and triumphs. all my spiral notebooks had them on the cover. most of jack's old movies were classics (5 easy pieces, chinatown, one flew over the cuckoo's nest). i plan to buy big bike when i'm 55 and tour the philippines.

pucha, that movie opened my eyes to the wonderful world of harleys and husqvarnas, nortons and triumphs. all my spiral notebooks had them on the cover. most of jack's old movies were classics (5 easy pieces, chinatown, one flew over the cuckoo's nest). i plan to buy big bike when i'm 55 and tour the philippines.

EASY RIDER was a real cool movie. Peter Fonda was the other guy they were with.

I love those movies....they don't make movies like those anymore...

Hey, I think it's the actor Ewan McGregor - he's got a project going. Together with a pal they're gonna tour the world on board a Harley...

I wish I could remember that, pareng storm But during the 70s, I was really crazy about bikes. One of my happiest moments was getting a racer bike as a gift from my grandmother. I followed the Tour of Luzon news religiously. Samson Etrata was my favorite. In my neighborhood, we would race around a couple of blocks. I was always the last to start because I had the racer. Handicap ba. But those were great times. Except for the occasional semplangs! Aray!

Pare, I attached a sample pic to refresh your memory :P

post-52-1088129664.jpg

Bro, I also plan to to tour the Philippines but not on a big bike but on an old Macarthur Flathead vintage 4x4 jeep.