Back To The 70's

I clearly remember Cisco Kid Oliver and Billy Robinson teaming up in Mariwasa and going up against the likes of Tom Cowart and Paul Scranton of Crispa. I was amazed at the level of play of these guys. They were all over 6'7 inches tall and in the early 70's one usually played center if he was at least 6'1 tall!!

These guys dominated Philippine basketball in those early days.

I think these were the very first American imports ever in Philippine basketball. Other early imports I recall are Bob Presely, Levin Tart, among others. Much later, guys like Norman Black and Bill Ray Bates wowed local crowds with their super skills and athletic abilities.

I can't recall the names of the other imports. It would be great if anyone recalls the names of the other imports.

I think these were the very first American imports ever in Philippine basketball. Other early imports I recall are Bob Presely, Levin Tart, among others. Much later, guys like Norman Black and Bill Ray Bates wowed local crowds with their super skills and athletic abilities.

I can't recall the names of the other imports. It would be great if anyone recalls the names of the other imports.

Aside from Tom Cowart and being a Crispa fanatic from way back, the most memorable is Cyrus Mann who gave Crispa several titles despite being a headcase.

Of course you can't forget the others like Glenn McDonald, the two Larrys, Larry Pounds and Larry McNeill and others like the Toyota import Carlos Terry. I can also remember Otto Moore and Glenn Hagan. Of course in the 80s came Bruce Sky King, Andy Fields, Billy Ray Bates, and Michael Hackett who played for Gilbey's and who scored a hundred points in one game.

Although I frequent Kimpura Makati because it is closer for me, I find the teppanyaki better at Kimpura Greenhills.

Really? You would think Kimpura would employ a certain standard that would somehow also standardize the taste of their food. Well I suppose chefs are like artists. They are free to use their own artistic interpretation as to what good teppenyaki and other food should taste like.

Aside from Tom Cowart and being a Crispa fanatic from way back, the most memorable is Cyrus Mann who gave Crispa several titles despite being a headcase.

Of course you can't forget the others like Glenn McDonald, the two Larrys, Larry Pounds and Larry McNeill and others like the Toyota import Carlos Terry. I can also remember Otto Moore and Glenn Hagan. Of course in the 80s came Bruce Sky King, Andy Fields, Billy Ray Bates, and Michael Hackett who played for Gilbey's and who scored a hundred points in one game.

Of the players you cited above, I recall Cyrus Mann, Glen McDonald, Larry Pounds, Bruce Sky King, Andy Fields, Billy Ray Bates, and Michael (the Bucket) Hackett. I don't recall the other imports.

Really? You would think Kimpura would employ a certain standard that would somehow also standardize the taste of their food. Well I suppose chefs are like artists. They are free to use their own artistic interpretation as to what good teppenyaki and other food should taste like.

Meron naman silang standards. Iba lang talaga ang touch ng veteran chefs who I think are stationed in Greenhills branch. Just my own take. Just the same, I don't think Makati branch will disappoint you.

I would assume this commercial aired sometime in the early 70s based on the taxi. I don't recall seeing this commercial.

That commercial came out in 1978/79.

i remember the pba in the 70's, 8 fouls in a quarter will get you in the penalty, then you are given 3 attempts to make 2 foul shot conversions. i remember dick ildefonso saying, "3 to make 2 in the charity stripe."

the only play by play sportscasters then were dick ildefonso and emy arcilla. they worked back to back games three times a week. tito eduque was the occasional third guy in the booth. joaquin henson, joe cantada and steve kattan joined the pba broadcast team in the early 80's.

i remember the pba in the 70's, 8 fouls in a quarter will get you in the penalty, then you are given 3 attempts to make 2 foul shot conversions. i remember dick ildefonso saying, "3 to make 2 in the charity stripe."

the only play by play sportscasters then were dick ildefonso and emy arcilla. they worked back to back games three times a week. tito eduque was the occasional third guy in the booth. joaquin henson, joe cantada and steve kattan joined the pba broadcast team in the early 80's.

I vaguely remember a sportscaster with the surnamed Lardizabal. Perhaps you recall him?

I know these 7-UP commercials are from the early 80's (close enough to the 70's) so I'm posting the videos for posterity. So at least those in their 20's and early 30's will have an idea of what 7-UP commercials were like back then.

Songs are based on Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes. The original song itself was written in 1974.

Edited by sonnyt111
  • Like (+1) 4

I must be getting older since I know enjoy reading and reminiscing about the past. One of the things that I used to wonder about the older generation when I was in my early 20's. Naturally at that age, one doesn't have much to go on as far as reminiscing goes. No, reminiscing is the domain of the older generation. The older the person, the more he/she can contribute his experiences so the young people who can avoid the pitfalls of their elderly.

• Like (+1) 1

Joey Lardizabal the famous radio announcer during the 1960s?

Joey Lardizabal also appeared on tv as host of some show, the title of which escapes me now. He died young, however, of some form of cancer.

A TV host I fondly remember is Oscar Obligacion, of Oras ng Ligaya, a short dark lovable host. People made fun of him, and he accepted good-naturedly, because he was "komang".

Joey Lardizabal the famous radio announcer during the 1960s?

Joey Lardizabal also appeared on tv as host of some show, the title of which escapes me now. He died young, however, of some form of cancer.

A TV host I fondly remember is Oscar Obligacion, of Oras ng Ligaya, a short dark lovable host. People made fun of him, and he accepted good-naturedly, because he was "komang".

Yes that's him alright. I recall he passed away from cancer decades ago.

I miss the life of being a student in the 70's. Was going through some of my old notes which I had saved through the years and I must admit, I don't understand much of what I studied back then. Nowadays, most of the things I learn I pick up on google search and by watching educational channels like the Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and History Channel.

Anyone out there with some memories of Bob Stewart (Uncle Bob)?

Pa-rrrram-pam-pam-pam-paaaam! :lol:

I was a card-carrying member of the Lucky 7 Club during the 70s. When allowed, I would go to the studio and be part of the show taping. He would interact with all of us and give candies (Hit and Humbug candies?). I also remember there were two puppets, Spanky the elephant and Pancho (can't remember what his character was).

Uncle Bob was the founder of what is now GMA Network. After he sold his holdings in GMA in the early 1980s, he left the Philippines and retired in Arizona where he spent his remaining years. He passed away in 2006.

There have been a number of recollections on Uncle Bob within this thread. You can use the search function on the upper right of the screen to search within this thread.

Edited by muttley

I was a card-carrying member of the Lucky 7 Club during the 70s. When allowed, I would go to the studio and be part of the show taping. He would interact with all of us and give candies (Hit and Humbug candies?). I also remember there were two puppets, Spanky the elephant and Pancho (can't remember what his character was).

Uncle Bob was the founder of what is now GMA Network. After he sold his holdings in GMA in the early 1980s, he left the Philippines and retired in Arizona where he spent his remaining years. He passed away in 2006.

There have been a number of recollections on Uncle Bob within this thread. You can use the search function on the upper right of the screen to search within this thread.

Pa-rrram-pam-pam-pam-paaaam is right!! That was his trademark during his show "Uncle Bob's Lucky 7 Club." I have such fond memories of Channel 7 back then. I will always have fond memories of my idol Uncle Bob. May he RIP.

I shall always associate Uncle Bob with my favorite tv programs like Combat! as well as my favorite cartoons like Popeye and Gumby.

I shall always associate Uncle Bob with my favorite tv programs like Combat! as well as my favorite cartoons like Popeye and Gumby.

Uncle Bob had a Filipina wife whom he used to say was the most beautiful woman on earth. He used to commute by helicopter. I think he used a Hughes 300. Once he featured one of my letters on television. It was strange seeing the drawings I mailed him being broadcast on tv.

He was truly a great tv host and loved children. I use to get letters signed by him inviting me to come out on his show but for some reason, I never did visit channel 7 studio. Mahiyain kasi ako. ^_^