The Best Buffets - Taste + Value For Money

• 2 weeks later...
just found this out last night...

super bowl of china opened last weekend in citywalk 2 of eastwood. starting this coming saturday up until end of sept (i'm not really sure when it'll end), they'll be having a dimsum buffet for only P120, inclusive of drinks and VAT. tara, kain na!

have you gotten to try the super bowl buffet yet? it's actually aug 1 to sep 15 from 2 pm to 6 pm at all their branches. dimsum n a lot more plus bottomless ice tea for only P120. been dying to try it but can't find the opportunity to go because of the 2 pm - 6 pm limitation.

I just cam back from Davao and while inside the cab I passed by this place called Dencio's (not to be mistaken with the Dencio's Grill here in Manila). They've got lunch and dinner all-you-can-eat buffet for only Php 99! Didn't get to try it though.

Edited by Zerreit
have you gotten to try the super bowl buffet yet? it's actually aug 1 to sep 15 from 2 pm to 6 pm at all their branches. dimsum n a lot more plus bottomless ice tea for only P120. been dying to try it but can't find the opportunity to go because of the 2 pm - 6 pm limitation.

I just treated my staff there .menu noodles,buchi,chicken feet,spare ribs,century egg, about 6 kinds of dimsum,coconut pie and mango pudding plus ice tea :D

havent tried it but from the looks of the food when i was there, i can deduce the following:

1) the noodles have little condiments added (mostly vegetables)

2) their hakaw filling is small from ocular inspection.

3) the fried dumplings also have small amount of fillings. personally familiar with food business and food costing, they cant even break even without using fat as primary filling. around 4 years ago, ocean dragon did the same gimmick and their siomai and dumplings were all fat. the cost of the buffet then was 90 bucks.

4) if you're out just to fill the tummy, the price is very reasonable.

havent tried it but from the looks of the food when i was there, i can deduce the following:

1) the noodles have little condiments added (mostly vegetables)

2) their hakaw filling is small from ocular inspection.

3) the fried dumplings also have small amount of fillings. personally familiar with food business and food costing, they cant even break even without using fat as primary filling. around 4 years ago, ocean dragon did the same gimmick and their siomai and dumplings were all fat. the cost of the buffet then was 90 bucks.

4) if you're out just to fill the tummy, the price is very reasonable.

got to try it out a few days ago and obviously the food isn't first class by any means. the noodles were basically plain noodles and the dimsum mostly fried and not too much filling. but the taste was still ok. the hakaw and the asado siopao and the desserts (buchi and some kind of pudding) were pretty good in fact. and for P120 with bottomless iced tea, we had nothing to complain about :P

too bad they didn't have chicken feet or spareribs when we went. or maybe not in the branch we went to (megamall branch). which one did you take your staff too, ccl?

• 4 weeks later...
if you like better tempura, go to mla pen.

just came from heritage this sunday. YES, the suckling pig is definitely good. so is the roast duck. they don't scrimp on the prawns. just went there this sunday. they have this singaporean festival. in addition to the regular fare, they have chicken pandan, chili crabs, prok and chicken bbq satay, cuury lamb, hainanese chicken and desserts. all for PHP 822 net. beware of the chili sauce that comes with the chicken pandan, its really HOT!!! the coffee there is also good.

Atong,

Which is better? Mla pen or edsa shang? Also how much is the friday seafood at edsa shang? Do they have lobsters? Thanks!

Atong,

Which is better? Mla pen or edsa shang? Also how much is the friday seafood at edsa shang? Do they have lobsters? Thanks!

friday seafood night at edsa shang has lobster tails, not the red lobsters. i tried this kind of lobster at dampa paranaque and it cost me 500 per kilo. this lobster has a flat head and is light brown in color. pen usually serves it at friday and saturday seafod night and sunday brunch. it is good with their wasabi dip (too much dip will overpower the taste of the lobster) or with just lemon. shang edsa, i believe, serves it steamed with light soy sauce.

as to which is better, it depends what you are after. if it is service, definitely pen; fresh seafood , definitely pen; sanitation, definitely pen; fresh salad greens, definitely pen; diversity of buffet, definitely edsa shang.

now to the dirty stuff. first, we saw a maggot crawling inside the lechon cavity of edsa shang. i'm sure it was an isolated case but that sure can turn off anyone and word gets around. as to the pen, their ice cream melts quickly. they have a sushi chef named benny who is very unfriendly and that is an understatement.

i dont know about the rest of you but i'd take liquid ice cream over maggots any day of the week. as for the price, be prepared to shell out around at least a grand for both hotels inclusive of service charge. if you have privilege cards, it will be around 600 each for 2 people dining together.

friday seafood night at edsa shang has lobster tails, not the red lobsters. i tried this kind of lobster at dampa paranaque and it cost me 500 per kilo. this lobster has a flat head and is light brown in color. pen usually serves it at friday and saturday seafod night and sunday brunch. it is good with their wasabi dip (too much dip will overpower the taste of the lobster) or with just lemon. shang edsa, i believe, serves it steamed with light soy sauce.

as to which is better, it depends what you are after. if it is service, definitely pen; fresh seafood , definitely pen; sanitation, definitely pen; fresh salad greens, definitely pen; diversity of buffet, definitely edsa shang.

now to the dirty stuff. first, we saw a maggot crawling inside the lechon cavity of edsa shang. i'm sure it was an isolated case but that sure can turn off anyone and word gets around. as to the pen, their ice cream melts quickly. they have a sushi chef named benny who is very unfriendly and that is an understatement.

i dont know about the rest of you but i'd take liquid ice cream over maggots any day of the week. as for the price, be prepared to shell out around at least a grand for both hotels inclusive of service charge. if you have privilege cards, it will be around 600 each for 2 people dining together.

Atong,

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I'll be going to the Shang buffet anytime soon. Diversity or a multitude of choices is good, but with maggots? No thanks, hold the maggots please! Looks like somebody needs to poison Benny the sushi chef! JK people! What's the deal with the privilege cards? Do I need to stay there for a number of nights to get this? How much are they? Will go to Mla Pen for sure. Also, are there any differences in the Dampa locations? Is one better than the other? Thanks again.

BTW, you have my vote for MTC's renaissance man! From fine swiss watches to the best chinese eats, you are one knowledegeable mofo :cool: :cool: :cool:

the dad's/saisaki/kamayan buffet has been getting worse and worse every time i go. what a disappointment. this buffet offering used to be such a treat.

and now it's a drag.

but the consistently good buffets have always been from the better hotels.

the chocolate buffet on the weekends of august and september at the pen lobby was a steal at P500++. too bad the run's finished.

nielsen's, also at the pen, always has one of the best selections in any buffet i've tried.

the seafood lunch buffet at the jeepney cafe at the intercon is wonderful too... especially for those on phase 2 and 3 of the south beach.

the weekend lunch buffets at the edsa shang are always a good bet.

and...

the P99 buffet at red box on weekdays is great for the price.

also, the buffet at una mas is tops for oyster lovers.

:)

the dad's/saisaki/kamayan buffet has been getting worse and worse every time i go. what a disappointment. this buffet offering used to be such a treat.

and now it's a drag.

the chocolate buffet on the weekends of august and september at the pen lobby was a steal at P500++. too bad the run's finished.

nielsen's, also at the pen, always has one of the best selections in any buffet i've tried.

the seafood lunch buffet at the jeepney cafe at the intercon is wonderful too... especially for those on phase 2 and 3 of the south beach.

and...

Correct,I just had Lunch there yesterday and the only thing edibile for me was the Sushi and Sashimi,Remember the Villavicencios have excellent seafood contacts.skip the rest.Intercons seafood on friday is great also,Especially the lobsters and oysters.But for oysters,Seafood nothing beats Cowrie Cove in Mactan Shangrila.The gang had dinner there last saturday.It was fantastic

Atong,

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I'll be going to the Shang buffet anytime soon. Diversity or a multitude of choices is good, but with maggots? No thanks, hold the maggots please! Looks like somebody needs to poison Benny the sushi chef! JK people! What's the deal with the privilege cards? Do I need to stay there for a number of nights to get this? How much are they? Will go to Mla Pen for sure. Also, are there any differences in the Dampa locations? Is one better than the other? Thanks again.

BTW, you have my vote for MTC's renaissance man! From fine swiss watches to the best chinese eats, you are one knowledegeable mofo :cool: :cool: :cool:

thanks.

pen privilege cards sell for around 6.5k including onw free night. whenever 2 or more people dine there, one person is free. so the best deal is to go there by 2's.

on dampa near duty free, there's 2 places i go to; trinity and julie's. try buttered shrimp, baked tahong with cheese, adobo squid at julie's. go for the crabs at trinity.

on seafood market near baclaran, go to paluto. best bets are tausi fish fillet, tempura or whole sweet/sour lapu lapu. they also have a branch in banawe near don henrico's.

and now it's a drag.

and...

i'd have to agree. when i have an urge for inexpensive sashimi, i go there at lunch, grab three plates of salmon sashimi, a pair of temakis, some yakisoba, and off i go.

for oysters, pen's oyster rockefeller is good. heritage also has fresh oyters but no cocktail sauce. ive also seen oysters and scallops at grappa's greenbelt buffet (600+ per head) but still have to try it.

thanks.

pen privilege cards sell for around 6.5k including onw free night.  whenever 2 or more people dine there, one person is free. so the best deal is to go there by 2's.

on dampa near duty free, there's 2 places i go to; trinity and julie's.  try buttered shrimp, baked tahong with cheese, adobo squid at julie's. go for the crabs at trinity.

on seafood market near baclaran, go to paluto.  best bets are tausi fish fillet, tempura or whole sweet/sour lapu lapu.  they also have a branch in banawe near don henrico's.

Note Trinity has a branch at Market Market along with Paluto,I had a chat with one of the owners,They were lured in by 1 year free rental by Ayala.It turns out that Destination restaurants get incentives from Ayala :D