The Best Buffets - Taste + Value For Money

my ratings for buffet packages in manila (out of 10):

paseo uno - 8.5 (great with privilege card, hard to get a seat w/o reservations)

heritage - 8.5

tempura misono - 8 (authentic as it can get)

shangrila makati- 9 (varied food festivals)

shangrila edsa - 9 (best seafood in town)

manila pen nielsen's- 9 (best salad quality in town)

saisaki/dads/ kamayan -6 (a friend was paid gift certificates in full for 100k++,

take it or leave it, no wonder nobody wants to supply to triple v,

thus their quality suffers; their reputation among food industry

suppliers is very poor, just ask around; i've heard chef's salaries

are also delayed but still have to verify. i tried dad's carvings and

they were very dry and seemed to be leftover from lunch. only

savior is their lechon de leche)

alba's - 7

chinatown seafood - 6 (ever wonder why few filipino-chinese are going there to

have their buffet meals?)

fishing village - 7.5 (better choice for chinese food but no beverages included)

el comedor - 7

new world - 7 (lacks variety and food quality)

emperor court - 8 ( ok but still lacking)

tin hau - 9 (the best chinese buffet not in quantity but in quality)

tong yang - 6 ( their quality has since suffered since the original owner sold out

his shares and individual branch franchisee purchasing system was

implemented)

a vietnamese rest in timog - 6

emperor villa (ocean dragon) - 5 (forget it!)

cabalen - 5 (people who scrimp on food deserve to be poisoned)

mla hotel - 6.5 (quality has really suffered due to cost cutting after mla bulletin

takeover)

mla diamond - 7 (mediocre for a hotel)

phil plaza longest buffet - 8 (very fresh seafood)

century park- 8 (lunch and dinner is ok but breakfast is not)

galleria cafe raphael - 7

pls. note that hotels are generally given higher ratings. it is partly also because of the quality of service and the effort that went into the preparation of food (mise en place). these ratings just reflect my own opinion backed up by my years of culinary exploits and thousands of pesos spent

for food lover's and aspiring chefs, i recommend books like professional cooking by wayne gisslen and professional chef by culinary institute of america. i recommend studying abroad since local culinary schools are not up to international standards probably except for cca, csb , ihrs and cacs. i just hope there would be an end to those few who attend a few cooking seminars or demos abroad for maybe a certificate and claim they studied abroad and come back to open a restaurant bragging about their 'newfound knowledge'. our maid could probably cook more delicious food.

if i may say, EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY, FOR TOMORROW YOU DIE!

LIVE, LOVE AND MAKE LOVE!

oo nga naman faffy paki post exact location.....

saka yung cosa nostra san yon and what kind of resto bayun....... :)

cosa nostra serves italian-spanish themed pizza and pasta. food takes forever to be served (around 30-45 minutes) so i suggest u bring a book or a friend. the reason for this is that everything is done after taking an order. no part of the food is pre-cooked. price is quite expensive and dish portions are small but delicious. its located beside i-bank on the right side of adriatico going towards victoria court

I'm talking about Paseo Uno of course at the Mandarin Oriental

Para sa lower budget,  sa Mongolian Grill, hindi ko lang alam kung buhay pa yun dun sa Mile Long, that's why I got fat...ex gf ko nag introduce sa akin dun. :)

oh yes, how could i forget bout Paseo Uno?

the best hotel food for me in Manila is at the Mandarin (good ensaimada at the bakeshop too)...

a friend has the card and treated me there a few birthdays back. sarap nga!

and Mongolian Grill... for 150 pesos - eat all you can and a good tapioca dessert! thats value... :)

galing snowflake thanks for reminding me :)

Edited by WyldChik
cosa nostra serves italian-spanish themed pizza and pasta. food takes forever to be served (around 30-45 minutes) so i suggest u bring a book or a friend. the reason for this is that everything is done after taking an order. no part of the food is pre-cooked. price is quite expensive and dish portions are small but delicious. its located beside i-bank on the right side of adriatico going towards victoria court

Hahaha!

16 slices of pizza?

You are way better than me. :D

Thanks for the tip on the buffets and the directions to Cosa Nostra.

I better try some of the buffets you mentioned. :)

oh yes, how could i forget bout Paseo Uno?

the best hotel food for me in Manila is at the Mandarin (good ensaimada at the bakeshop too)...

and Mongolian Grill... for 150 pesos - eat all you can and a good tapioca dessert! thats value... :)

galing snowflake thanks for reminding me :)

My pleasure Ms. Wyldchik (french butler mode) Hope to have a date with you when you have a homecoming here.....hopefully in the next 4 years maybe. :rolleyes: same goes to nzchick....pero malamang mauuna si fafhrd :P

Hmm, yeah Mongolian Grill is good value for money.

But you have to know how to balance the ingredients in your bowl para dehin ka maumay. :)

guess u gotta know ur tastes and preferences to know that.

and knowing how to cook definitely helps.

My pleasure Ms. Wyldchik (french butler mode) Hope to have a date with you when you have a homecoming here.....hopefully in the next 4 years maybe. :rolleyes: same goes to nzchick....pero malamang mauuna si fafhrd :P

thank you snowflake. who knows it might come sooner than you think ;)

pre naman medyo yabang naman dating mo dito, di po kasi pinanganak lahat ng tao na marami pera eh

Easy ka lang brader. Everyone here has his opinions about food, unless na lang nga shareholder ka siguro ng Cabalen. :)

Cabalen is definitely for balikbayans who really missed the taste of Pampangueno home cooking. Pero for the yuppies who want great tasting food, I guess the restaurant is not in their list for sure. ;)

Easy ka lang brader. Everyone here has his opinions about food, unless na lang nga shareholder ka siguro ng Cabalen. :)

Cabalen is definitely for balikbayans who really missed the taste of Pampangueno home cooking. Pero for the yuppies who want great tasting food, I guess the restaurant is not in their list for sure. ;)

well am not a shareholder pre

that was a reference to an earlier post that someone got poisoned at cabalen. pls read previous posts before any violent reaction. peace, man.

i know the post, in fact you should look at who posted it

just don't think anyone "deserves to be poisoned" because they wanted to save a little. some might say that you get value for your money, but i know a lot of places that you can get the best tasting foods for a very cheap price.

i know the post, in fact you should look at who posted it

just don't think anyone "deserves to be poisoned" because they wanted to save a little. some might say that you get value for your money, but i know a lot of places that you can get the best tasting foods for a very cheap price.

now where's your sense of humor? there was no offense meant in that statement but if you took it that way, i'd like to state it clear that it was intended with the most jovial sense.

guess u gotta know ur tastes and preferences to know that.

and knowing how to cook definitely helps.

Hmm, you're right.

Knowing how to cook is an advantage when selecting ingredients to fill your bowl in Mongolian Barbeque.

I usually wind up with very oily bowls since I pice a lot of meat. :P

Hahaha!

Tigana mo, nang-intriga ka pa. :P

Tama ba naman iyan? :rolleyes:

Hehehe...

pre naman medyo yabang naman dating mo dito, di po kasi pinanganak lahat ng tao na marami pera eh

Hahaha!

Easy, dude.

I doubt if the guy was being intentionally mean.

He was just expressing an opinion, as we are all free to do here.

We're all friends in MTC. :)