Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Guys, pansin ko lang sa mga UFC matches, parang mas nananalo lagi yung "pit fighters" or yung "freestyle streetfighters" kaysa sa mga martial arts, na t** kwon do etc etc.

Kaya minsan napag-isip-isip ko na baka useless naman yung martial arts kasi kina-kaya kaya lang sila ng mga walang specific discipline, puro mga pulot lang na techniques.

Medyo nga, pero in fairness sa ibang MA, iba kasi ang setting sa UFC eh, at sa traditional MA's, pansinin mo yung mga ibang UFC fighters, combination ng ibat ibang MA din ang discipline nila.

Iba kasi rin at type of macthes sa traditional MA, more on stand up fighting sa UFC more on the ground sila.

nice thred bo B)

in the UFC format it is best to have backgrounds in as much disciplines as possible, ther are weaknesses in the different arts, but in learning different disciplines, you can offset these weaknesses with the knowledge of other techniques. it used to be that the brazilian ju jitsu dominated, then came the time when gracie ju jitsu seemed to become obsolete with the merger of the different schools, like with shamrock, mixing ground fighting with striking, now the combination seems good, if the fighter is agile.

for me, Aikido is still the basis of how i used to fight, with the additions of different arts taught to me, one is the use of weapons; sticks, knife, chains and anything that is available

then ther was kick boxing, though i wasn't proficient in it, damn that was hard!

but i still conform to this rule

disable the opponent to gain the upper hand and and try to keep the fight as short as possible, no need to dance around

but i haven't had any practice

Yup, there is no "ultimate" technique, one must learn to mix and match different styles in order to come up with a winning combination.

I took up a soft art (aikido), hard art (karate and t** kwon do), and some weapons training (arnis) in order to mix and match them to fit the situation.

I plan to take up Tai-chi and a sword style in the near future to augment my knowledge and skills.

alexis,

Watch ka ng martial arts competitions, pag may bumagsak hinto yung laro, then wait hanggang itayo sya before the match re-starts. IMHO, kaya sila talo sa UFC hindi hardcore yung laro nila. Tapos meron pa silang specific zones na dapat dun mo lang tatamaan. Meron pang padding sa head, minsan sa chest pa.

In real life, you can't tell a thug to stand back until you get back on your feet. Sa palagay ko dun sila nagkamali.

When you think about it, sa dami ng mga marunong mag martial arts sa Pinas, ilan na ba ang nakita mo na nagamit niya ito?

Ako wala pa.

fortunately no one wants to mess with me. I haven't used my skill on anyone yet and hopefully i wouldnt need to. even my friends who are certifide black belts still have hesitations when we spar or play around. The aim of the martial arts is simply defense, and if possible that any confrontation be avoided, then better. Developing a certaing chi field around you that creates hesitation for opponents or threats help avoid these confrontations. :ninja:

i saw another mixed martial arts game, "Pride FC", i thindi it is based in japan, ok yung format, parang UFC in the early days, you can strike your opponent while he's lying on the ground, but it is illegal to use your elbows and head.

kaya wala pa ring tatalo sa UFC, yung early days nya, the time when you can kick your opponent on the ground, use head buts and no time limit, i think yung champion nung unang UFC is a frenc guy using savate

Interesting to know there are still traditionalists in our midst. Im taking up Jiujitsu and Yawyan. Plain. Simple. Efficient.

Try me  :lol:

Ok ah, where are you taking up your Yaw Yan, i like to learn that. Ok ka siguro ma ka spar, ma action tiyak... :)

rather "spar" with a girl thank you ;)

Mallninja signing in (with a handle like that, of course I'm interested in the arts)...

Just a brief background as I have to backread a lot.

No real experience whatsoever. Had a couple of sessions at Red Corner. Advanced to Yellow Belt in Karate via AAK. I read and watch a lot of flicks though.

:ninja: <<< poser

Paging SARGONG WALANG HUMPAY:

pare, I'm interested in training with GM Andy Abrian. I contacted him once by telephone via a telephone number provided on the www.visayanmartialarts.com website and the old man was really nice and humble. so he's good ha? contrary to what bonito99's friend (who I know personally) told me. ;)

i hope you will take the time to email me pare. or PM me here. or give me your cellphone (sorry I don't have a cellphone right now as I just lost my phone).

did you also train in Kali Ilustrisimo? I'd like that too.

anyone know where i can learn krav maga? its the technique used by the israeli special forces. but i'd have to agree with homerx. no amount of martial arts would realistically stop successive shots from an automatic weapon fired at a range of 5-10 meters. plus you dont really need to much training to fire a gun.

hello good thing marami din palang interesado sa topic na to i am currently into muay thai, freestyle wrestling, and dekiti tirsia siradas

correction lang sir joel ang unang nanalo sa ufc is a brazilian namely royce gracie

When it comes to grappling saludo ako sa mga Gracie, but nung nakita kong

halos lahat ng mga fighters nila ay "nilamog" ni Kazushi Sakuraba parang nawala

ang bilib ko sa Brazilian Jujitsu, yung Gracie jujitsu kasi is the same as Japanese

jujitsu minodify lang ng tatay nila na si Helio Gracie.

Pero given a choice Filipino Martial Arts pa din ang pinaka-complete fighting system

para akin. Weapons or Empty hands. FMA still kicks ass! :ninja:

Hello everyone! Nice to see this topic at manila tonight. B)

I'm training with the Doce Pares group in Cebu. I agree with SargongWalangHumpay, FMA kicks ass! Would recommend FMA than other styles because it is very comprehensive yet simple. You can apply it even when you reach at an old age and also applicable for most, if not all, weather conditions. If the art is mostly kicking, it is difficult to fight when wearing heavy shoes during rain or snow or on a slippery ground. For a grappler, it would also be disadvantageous if the ground has lots of rocks and stones. It is not even recommended for multiple attackers. FMA covers from weapons to empty hands and at different ranges of attack.

Necro_Death, it's never too old to learn martial arts. However, it is recommended to start at a very young age especially for aikido because it will be easier to learn ukemi (art of falling in response to a technique). I say 26 is still a good age to start but truly, the answer would depend on the physical condition of the person rather than age. I've seen older people train and did very good. The cost of training depends on several factors (location, intructor, etc.)

Hello everyone! Nice to see this topic at manila tonight. B)

I'm training with the Doce Pares group in Cebu. I agree with SargongWalangHumpay, FMA kicks ass! Would recommend FMA than other styles because it is very comprehensive yet simple. You can apply it even when you reach at an old age and also applicable for most, if not all, weather conditions. If the art is mostly kicking, it is difficult to fight when wearing heavy shoes during rain or snow or on a slippery ground. For a grappler, it would also be disadvantageous if the ground has lots of rocks and stones. It is not even recommended for multiple attackers. FMA covers from weapons to empty hands and at different ranges of attack.

Necro_Death, it's never too old to learn martial arts. However, it is recommended to start at a very young age especially for aikido because it will be easier to learn ukemi (art of falling in response to a technique). I say 26 is still a good age to start but truly, the answer would depend on the physical condition of the person rather than age. I've seen older people train and did very good. The cost of training depends on several factors (location, intructor, etc.)

Mabuhay ang mga Escrimador! I am very glad that there are FMA practitioners

here in MTC. Ever wondered why there are no FMA fighters in UFC,PrideFC? because FMA techniques are designed to maim and k*ll. I once came across an

article a few months back wherein an organizer said that FMA is to extreme to

be included in mixed martial arts competitions.

The ironic thing is while FMA is a dying art here in our country, foreign FMA

practitioners are earninng big bucks. Especially american insructors.

Even military and U.S. law enforcement agencies use FMA in their hand to hand

combat training.

Officials in the National Sports Commission should reconsider and declare FMA

as the national sport. :ninja: