Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

<blind moon>

about the three section staff:

best resource material for solo training you can find is the book "advanced three section staff" by eric lee. for some strange reason there's no "basic three section staff". you'd still be better off finding a sifu, but if you can't the book's really good.

some other tips: wear shin protectors and a helmet for the first few days/weeks. the characteristics of the staff are very different from other flailed weapons, it can damage the user as much as the opponent. have two sets, i found that the cheap cane ones were useful to learn on, and the more expensive hard wood ones you can use for demos, forms, or if you're lucky enough, fighting. have a supply of balloons, they make great targets and you can blow them up to the size of a human head.

train outdoors first, for some of the sweeps you need a f**king large amount of room. majority of my three section staff, quan do, and bo training was done outdoors. later on you can cover close quarter work, but learn the ballistics of the staff first.

good luck, happy training.

• 2 weeks later...
May similarity ba ito sa "anything goes martial arts"? :lol:

Keep on posting guys. Lots of useful info here.

Freestyle boxing is just one of the many arts featured in today's mixed martial arts competitions. Muay Thai, Karate , Taekwondo , Kung -fu, and a myriad of

grappling arts ( jiujitsu, brazilian jiujitsu, greco roman wrestling, shootfighting etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

<tequila joe>

dude,

could you fill me in on this free-style boxing? i've spoken to a couple of boxing coaches here and they haven't heard of it. would this be similar to the videos ned beaumont has put out in which he shows the illegal and banned techniques of the art: stuff like hitting with the elbow if you miss with the hook, raking the opponents face with the laces, punching to the back of the neck, and so on. there's also a book put out called "boxing as a martial art", can't remember the author, but it could be beaumont.

a spinning back fist which ends with an elbow contact is foul in full contact.

you can't target the back of the neck also.

one thing i liked about muay thai is it has a little bit of boxing, kicking, grappling and submission.

you guys watchin the upcoming full-contact events ?

:mtc:

dude,

could you fill me in on this free-style boxing? i've spoken to a couple of boxing coaches here and they haven't heard of it. would this be similar to the videos ned beaumont has put out in which he shows the illegal and banned techniques of the art: stuff like hitting with the elbow if you miss with the hook, raking the opponents face with the laces, punching to the back of the neck, and so on. there's also a book put out called "boxing as a martial art", can't remember the author, but it could be beaumont.

sure dude!

freestyle boxing is not found in any western books. it was created by MILES VILLIACAMPA of pasukuan labanan and was updated with new techniques by ERWIN TAGLE of submission sport. it is like boxing but with more freedom in using your fist. you can use a back fist or a chop cause they are applicable moves in some of the fights.

its really hard to explain but i beleive sargo has seen it used by erwin tagle already.

alam ko nakita na rin niya akong magtrain with erwin.

AM I RIGHT SARGO?

anybody understand the concept of the 3-part staff?

if you'd like to know more about the three section staff, you might want to drop by wushu federation philippines located at rizal memorial sports center. its where the philippine national wushu team trains. they have an assortment of weapons which includes the three section staff, long sword, broad sword, double hooks, double broadswords, 9 section whip, spear and cudgel. they also train for sparring which is called san shou.

seems like this thread has slowed down. sayang interesting pa naman ang topic.

<tequila joe>

thanks for the info. if i ever get back to the noble and ever loyal i'll be sure to look it up. does pasukuan have a website?

<shrike>

the last time i fought in muay thai i got warned, then point deducted for throwing spinning back fists. which is annoying as it's a great technique. my fight prior to that spinning back fists were legal. different associations, different rules. very frustrating at times. when i fought in full contact karate, sabaki rules, there were no punches to the head. kicks and kness to the head were okay, but no punching. also, no grappling allowed, but throwing permitted. front grabs to the gi not allowed, but side grabs were. it gets a bit confusing when your fighting and trying to remember what the prohibitions are. anyway, it doesn't matter now as my club's been banned from competing for a year.

thanks for the info. if i ever get back to the noble and ever loyal i'll be sure to look it up. does pasukuan have a website?

the last time i fought in muay thai i got warned, then point deducted for throwing spinning back fists. which is annoying as it's a great technique. my fight prior to that spinning back fists were legal. different associations, different rules. very frustrating at times. when i fought in full contact karate, sabaki rules, there were no punches to the head. kicks and kness to the head were okay, but no punching. also, no grappling allowed, but throwing permitted. front grabs to the gi not allowed, but side grabs were. it gets a bit confusing when your fighting and trying to remember what the prohibitions are. anyway, it doesn't matter now as my club's been banned from competing for a year.

add to that confusion, what is a legal stance and what is not. it is really hard to compete for points when you are a student of two different M.A. styles. sometimes instinctive behavior catches you and you do what is not allowed to do.

better to spar with friends than lose your harmony with the professionals.

last year i saw the samsung t** kwon do champs elims in glorietta, and well of cors not a pretty sight. the girls division are more agressive than the mens. pogi points for form but lacks the proper strength and speed. :D

and about the latest trend i think the submission style is gaining the upper hand. almost all players has submission in their arsenal of moves.

funny to watch my friend do kendo cum fencing style. entertaining really.

anybody knows where i can find good materials for the '2 swords technique'.

POKNAT :

any ideas where i could buy a decent 9 section whip ?

sure dude!

freestyle boxing is not found in any western books. it was created by MILES VILLIACAMPA of pasukuan labanan and was updated with new techniques by ERWIN TAGLE of submission sport. it is like boxing but with more freedom in using your fist. you can use a back fist or a chop cause they are applicable moves in some of the fights.

its really hard to explain but i beleive sargo has seen it used by erwin tagle already.

alam ko nakita na rin niya akong magtrain with erwin.

AM I RIGHT SARGO?

But have you witnessed a sparring session between Filipino Martial Artists?

Comabative techiniques used by Moro warriors in neutralizing foreign invaders

battle tested through centuries of combat.. :ninja:

<shrike>

i've never competed in points fighting, it's all been full contact. i'd like to try nhb as soon as my grappling skills are up to par. i've been doing some research on indian wrestling and have approached some members of the indian community here to see if there's a trainer available. i got interested in it when i read about ghulum muhhamad aka the great gama or the lion of the punjab. undefeated in 5000 (yup, five thousand) fights. he challenged george hackenschmidt and frank gotch to settle the world wrestling title, both turned down the challenge. this was back in the early 20th century when professional wrestling wasn't the crap shoot it is today. i'm also looking around for a sambo (russian wrestling, think oleg taktarov)coach, but they're as rare as a virgin over 15 years old here.

any ideas where i could buy a decent 9 section whip ?

well other than wushu federation phil i havent seen one anywhere else. it would be useless to go and ask them if they are selling their equipment so i guess your only recourse is to have someone in china buy one for you.

trivia - the 9 section whip is the only weapon in the long weapons category that is portable. it was used in 'dragon: the bruce lee story' in the bruce lee vs the sailors fight scene

hope i helped kahit konti.

any dojo featuring MMA near the sta mesa heights (QC) area? i havent trained for soooooo long na. i'm so out of shape na. hay..... puro memories and reminiscing lang ako pag dating sa usapan ng martial arts.

..... puro memories and reminiscing lang ako pag dating sa usapan ng martial arts.

lolz. me too. been out of shape and out of breath na. it's been what ... 6- 7 years since i've last done my morning kata.

i trained in martial arts since HS to develop my kicking speed and force, and have perfect balance. things that any serious soccer player should have. that's the reason i trained in muay thai and tai chi. technically i haven't yet sparred in bladed weapons but had good experience in arnis, long staff and tonfa. haven't yet tried grappling or throwing in the ring.

yea, i know the scarcity of the 9section whip. i haven't seen one for sale in 10 years. :D

it would take a miracle to put me back in fighting shape again. :D :D :D

i havent trained for soooooo long na. i'm so out of shape na. hay..... puro memories and reminiscing lang ako pag dating sa usapan ng martial arts.

Hahaha,same here bro..Been active in TaekWondo before,hayy,those good old days,hahaha..Kaya pinapanood ko na lang yung nephew ko sa mga Kata at practices nya.. ;)

just some observations:

1. whoever bruce lee fought with and won against or lost to will not improve your skills, but practising definitely will.

2. the chinese symbol for martial arts is 武, a derivative from the symbols 止 and 伐 which mean 'stop' and 'conquer'. the masters knew that the ultimate essence of the art is to avoid and cease any form of violence.

3. martial arts is not just the skills and the training. it is the philiosophy and way of life for the martial artist.

4. gym equipment and maintenance aside, a true masters who really knows and cares for the art doesn't care about charging money for teaching, but more for the worthy students to pass on the invaluable knowledge and skills so as not to bring it to the grave with him.

the best way to overcome anything is to embrace it and go with the flow. - tai chi principle

whenever possible, run. if in doubt, pack a gun.

peace to all martial art practitioners and enthusiasts alike

dudes,

don't worry about it, i've meet guys still competing in full contact karate in their 40's. one guy didn't start till he was 45, and kicked major butt in his first competition. there's also a strong group of thai boxers here in their late 30's up who are lobbying for a seniors or veterans division in the kickboxing circuit.

speaking of which, anybody see the last k1 grand prix? good to see a muay thai fighter win the title, although it would have been cool to see peter aerts win a fourth title.

hey guys in the qc area you might wanna check out capoeira at bodyworx gym in west ave. i tried it out and its pretty neat medyo mahirap lang sa una dahil hindi sanay sa movements nila pero enjoy after a while.

for the sweat value ok sya!

Wow. Capoeira is something I've been wanting to try since last year. Last I heard, there was a capoeria group (not school) somewhere in Makati. Poknat, can you tell me the details of the session you went to in West Ave? Would appreciate any info. Thanks, dude. :)

Nice thread you got here, Bo :cool:

Wow. Capoeira is something I've been wanting to try since last year. Last I heard, there was a capoeria group (not school) somewhere in Makati. Poknat, can you tell me the details of the session you went to in West Ave? Would appreciate any info. Thanks, dude. :)

Nice thread you got here, Bo :cool:

hey vixen did you get the pm i sent you regarding capoeira?