Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Hey how come no one's posting here anymore? Sayang naman I just saw this today. I used to practice SIKARAN way way back. It's the lost art of filipino foot fighting. Kinda like t** Kwon Do. It's too bad that it's not as popular as the other martial arts. But if ou're gonna check out the martial arts abroad, they even have a website for sikaran and arnis practitioners! Mas magagaling pa sa atin ang mga kano sa sarili nating sining. Tsk tsk tsk!! I hope this will be corrected in the future. I tell you, Filipino MA are one of the best MAs in the world.

uh... considered ba yung t**-bo? hehehe... :blink:

Well, not really. It's considered more of a fitness style rather than a martial arts style. But still, it has its uses because you develop reflexes in punching and kicking. And I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard somewhere that a woman succesfully defended herself from a snatcher by applying the kicking techniques she learned from t**-bo. :)

ako cha-cha and tango

ayy sori maling thread ;)

aikido and taichi

Wow. Tai-Chi? May sparring din ba dun? :)

tai chi is more of a form of meditation.

centering yourself and finding your focus.

it has dance like or ballet-like movements, very precise and graceful.

although practitioners sometimes can use these movements to defend

but never to attack, when needed.

it is also a good form of relaxation (western conditioning na ito) whenever you feel stressed.

let me share the experience-

when i was in bangkok several years ago, there are times na tinatamaan ako ng homesickness.

grabe 'to nakakabaliw. tai chi helped me alot. eto ang nagbabalik s kin sa reality.

this is what i did-

i live in a condominium tenth floor, pag umatake ang homesick nag huhubad ako, then i go to the terrace k*ll all the lights and do my taichi sa open air. the feeling is so peaceful, mga 30 minutes

lang, normal na naman ako. ang hindi ko alam that time, yung room ko pala ay katapat ng girls dormitory kaya nakikita nila ako barenaked sa terrace, shet late na ng marealize ko na lagi akong pinapanood ng mga loka. kaya sikat na sikat ako dun sa compound namin yun. dyahe!

<guy>

there was a sikaran group that used to train in a park in san juan. i can't remember the name of the park (salakot ?) but it was beside this church which was near the san juan-quezon city border. i can't even remember the name of the church, but it was near the san juan police headquarters on boni serrano. i'm plucking this out of my ass but i remember the park was bounded by four streets, the only one i'm definite about is blumentritt, and i think one of them is arellano, and there used to be an art gallery near the church. the only other thing i can remember about the area is that it's near the site of a battle between the katipunan and the spanish forces, the first ever if i remember right.

<guy>

i've finally remembered the area where the sikaran group used to train in san juan. it only took half a bottle of tequila to remember. it is salakot park beside the pinaglabanan church. i've been away for too long and don't know if this place still exists so good luck. also for those interested in sikaran, apparently the main area where it's practiced is tanay. the acknowledged head of sikaran in the islands is a guy called meliton geronimo, nicknamed latigo for some reason. it's been officially recognized by the world karate association as philippine karate, and geronimo has been awarded a 10th degree black belt in this system.

let me share the experience-

when i was in bangkok several years ago, there are times na tinatamaan ako ng homesickness.

grabe 'to nakakabaliw. tai chi helped me alot. eto ang nagbabalik s kin sa reality.

this is what i did-

i live in a condominium tenth floor, pag umatake ang homesick nag huhubad ako, then i go to the terrace k*ll all the lights and do my taichi sa open air. the feeling is so peaceful, mga 30 minutes

lang, normal na naman ako. ang hindi ko alam that time, yung room ko pala ay katapat ng girls dormitory kaya nakikita nila ako barenaked sa terrace, shet late na ng marealize ko na lagi akong pinapanood ng mga loka. kaya sikat na sikat ako dun sa compound namin yun. dyahe!

Ayaw mo nun? At least they were watching you practising tai-chi, not some <unwholesome stuff> :D

<guy>

i've finally remembered the area where the sikaran group used to train in san juan. it only took half a bottle of tequila to remember. it is salakot park beside the pinaglabanan church. i've been away for too long and don't know if this place still exists so good luck. also for those interested in sikaran, apparently the main area where it's practiced is tanay. the acknowledged head of sikaran in the islands is a guy called meliton geronimo, nicknamed latigo for some reason. it's been officially recognized by the world karate association as philippine karate, and geronimo has been awarded a 10th degree black belt in this system.

Hey, thanks a lot man! I think i'll search mr. geronimo out. I really wanna pursue the art. By the way, your signatures are really cool. Especially about the nietchze part. (pardon my spelling). :)

• 2 weeks later...

not sure about that Bo, but maybe given proper training, they'd stand a chance.

I didn't go beyond white in Taekwondo..got hit in the face too many f#&king times to want to do it again. baka mabaril ko yung sparring partner ko e :lol: but I'm considering taking up something new. Was good in College P.E. arnis, but have yet to really see my potential on that.

What's advisable for a girl?