Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Guest fhoryou

Your right there Romeo I think the name is Travador Ramos. I used to keep that article and I was intrigue and did a little research.

About Bruce Lee style I had his book, a very old one and from his exclusive interview when we was in the Green Hornet.

His original technique was the Wing Chum Dummy, more often called. He was trained by the Yip Man. The origin of this skill is way back in old China when this martial artist, not sure if he was a monk or taoist priest, was on the road that he realize that the bamboos can be an alternative partner for practice. This where the sticky hand technique was developed, related to the name Wing Chum Dummy. As it was revolutionized the technique was slowly used at home using a wooden dummy. There is a practice method almost similar to Kali and Arnis except they use the hands in short range. Its really effected because you can actually feel the movement and can predict the move.

Back to the fight of Bruce Lee and Travador Ramos. The reason I kept the article because it gave a detailed event on the fight. Its true that Travador Ramos is a bulky guy but it did not give an advantage to winning the fight against Bruce Lee. Actually he had a hard time try to make contact with Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was so determined to beat him that Travador Ramos has difficulty making a hit. The only thing Ramos can do is defend and hope for an openning. Then finally when Lee made his famous flying kick Ramos found and openning and was able to hit his Solar Plexus that brought Bruce down to the ground. Hitting the Solar Plexus with accuracy will surely bring anyone done, I experience this and I had difficulty breathing and was crouching with pain. This ended the fight.

When Bruce develop the Jeet Kune Do he used his original martial arts but with flexibility. Since he earned a college degree in philosophy he used that knowledge to study other martial arts. Martial arts like boxing, savate, karate, t** kwon do, judo, ninjistu, kali and other martial arts. Later he found the common denominator for these martial arts and created Jeet Kune Do. He most admire Kali or Arnis because of its simplity. This is what he did with Jeet Kune Do make the move simple, easy, effective and quick. There is no other martial arts that he used in the movie he just used his street fighting experience and other martial arts in the movie.

If you notice he try to give pride to the Chinese culture in the movie that is why all his opponents are of non-Chinese nationality and martial arts are non-Chinese skills. He was proud of his Chinese Culture and I hope we Filipinos are proud of our own.

Both Bruce and Travador used strategy in the fight, which is there most valuable asset in fighting, but it just happen Travador got lucky. After that fight they became friends and exchange ideas on strategy.

Right now I don't know if this guy is still alive.

Guest fhoryou

Oh yes I just like to mention.

I read this article in one of the martial arts magazine or sports magazine.

The compared Bruce Lee and Muhamad Ali. They were compared both in speed, lightness, awarness and mobility. Guess what is the conclusion.

Bruce Lee can beet Muhamad Ali anytime since Bruce has lots of power than Muhamand Ali despite his size and weight. Its more the execution of technique.

There was once a guy challenge Bruce Lee that his skill is fake or weak. This guys is really big like a Boxing Heavy weight champion or a Mr. Universe Body built. Then Bruce Lee showed his 1 inch punch, based on the Shaolin Style of close range fist attack, the guy was over thrown about 4 to 6 feet away. This was even done in the pool just to minimize injury and for safety.

From my days as an enthusiast in martial arts, i have learned one good lesson. It is better to stay away from fights. When i practiced aikido that deals with harmony, it has taught me to be at peace with myself. Ironic but i thought by taking up martial arts would be for self defense. But more than that martial arts has taught me to become a better person.

well for one thing, bruce lee was never a serious competitor. he won a tournament only once while still young: the hong kong boxing competition (sheesh, onyok velasco can whip those hongkies!) all his other bouts were exhibition bouts or choreographed for the movies. just my opinion, he would have been creamed if he was in a real fight with guys like chuck norris, bill wallace and fumio demura.

Edited by elke_weis
From my days as an enthusiast in martial arts, i have learned one good lesson. It is better to stay away from fights. When i practiced aikido that deals with harmony, it has taught me to be at peace with myself. Ironic but i thought by taking up martial arts would be for self defense. But more than that martial arts has taught me to become a better person.

Right...fighting is the last recourse

And it was quoted...the acme of skill of an enlightened martial artist is winning without having to fight

Guest fhoryou

since then i haven't heard about travador ramos.

so i am not sure if that is the same guy

beside yung pic niya duon sa article na basa ko luma na and sketch pa

living out of public yata siya

Oh yes I just like to mention.

I read this article in one of the martial arts magazine or sports magazine.

The compared Bruce Lee and Muhamad Ali. They were compared both in speed, lightness, awarness and mobility. Guess what is the conclusion.

Bruce Lee can beet Muhamad Ali anytime since Bruce has lots of power than Muhamand Ali despite his size and weight. Its more the execution of technique.

There was once a guy challenge Bruce Lee that his skill is fake or weak. This guys is really big like a Boxing Heavy weight champion or a Mr. Universe Body built. Then Bruce Lee showed his 1 inch punch, based on the Shaolin Style of close range fist attack, the guy was over thrown about 4 to 6 feet away. This was even done in the pool just to minimize injury and for safety.

sheesh, what imbecile said bruce lee can beat ali? maybe now that ali is old and has parkinsons but during his prime? if he tries to do his one-inch on ali, he'll get a frontal lobotomy without him noticing it.

bruce lee was never a world champion in anything. ali, on the other hand, was an olympic champion and as a pro, beat the very best in the worl. do you know how it is to become a world champion like ali, tyson, even chuck norris? you're not just well-conditioned and superbly-trained. you're also, in al probability, genetically gifted. how else con you explain how manny pacquiao, a poor boy from mindanoa can knock out the very best guys in his weight class in less than 6 rounds?

bruce lee? i don't want to put him down hard because, he's actually an idol of mine. but i'm not so stupid as to believe he can beat really seasoned competitors who have proven themselves in the world championsip level.

the guy was a hollywood sensation and he introduced martial arts to the general public. that was it.

Guest fhoryou

nge bruce lee doesn't have to be a tournament champion.

There is this scientific study taht tournament champions does not have the skills of true martial arts because all are competition base.

Unless they where taught by real masters, masters of ancient.

Like shaolin, old chinese schools.

The likes of Bruce Lee, Jacky Chan, Samo Hung, Jet Li and others

were taught by masters.

They use their skills for survival not competition.

Actually Bruce and those I mentioned used their skills to famous boxers and champions of said marital arts.

Those regular competitors of tournaments and championships.

There was more than one incident that Bruce lee prove he could beat anyone in a minute using his skills in a ring. After a display of skill everyone came to him to refine theirs.

Like Chuck Norris he was a champion competitor but came to Bruce for lessons to refine his.

Bruce even beaten a Championship boxer. if your not convince check old archives of the 1970s.

Even Ali was convince he can be beaten by Bruce Lee because Ali has very limited street skillls unlike Bruce has gone to extremes

bruce lee has faught in the streets but don't be too enamored with easter, ancient styles. by the way, jackie chan is not really a martial artist. he's a gymnast by training. that's why he can mimic practically any martial arts style.

but doing those flashy move that look good on tv won't help you if you fight a really good guy. you underestimate world competition. top competitors go to bruce lee purely for echange of ideas. martial artists always do that. your so-called archived bouts with top fighters are just friendly sparring or exhibition matches. bruce lee never proved he had the strenght, speed and stamina to beat a world champion.

kelan yng sunod na URCC?

sarap talaga manood nun

iba talaga pag pinoy eh

i remember nung nakapila ako sa ultra during the last URCC

may namimigay ng flyers about a reality fighting event

pero di ata URCC yun

this month ata magaganap yun eh

anyone remembers that?

or has info on it?

nawala ko na kasi yung flyer na binigay

Guest Romeo

notorious blg,

d ko alam kung kelan yung next urcc pero yung flyers na sinasabi e ibang event yun.

it's called FEARLESS MMA CHAMPIONSHIP. i heard it will be a bigger and better event kasi

the people behind it are bringing in really good foreign fighters and are getting only quality local fighters.

i think it was moved to late june or early july.

i agree. masarap manood ng MMA event.

peace

:D

kelan yng sunod na URCC?

sarap talaga manood nun

iba talaga pag pinoy eh

i remember nung nakapila ako sa ultra during the last URCC

may namimigay ng flyers about a reality fighting event

pero di ata URCC yun

this month ata magaganap yun eh

anyone remembers that?

or has info on it?

nawala ko na kasi yung flyer na binigay

The next URCC is scheduled in Cebu this September. The upcoming fight this May (FEARLESS, supposed to be) is organized by folks from Manimal Jiujitsu, a Carlson Gracie product, comprised of Myles Vives, Jacao Bispo.. etc.. and is rumored to be bigger and better than DEFTAC's URCC.. anyway, there's urcc.net and there's also pinoymma.com

Check out further details there. :alien:

• 2 weeks later...

just wanna share this, in case you guys are interested to watch.

Jujitsu Quest Tournament

May 18, 2003

8am onwards

Mandaluyong Sports Coliseum (near Mandaluyong City Hall)

The tournament will be participated by teams from Manimal Brazilian

Jujitsu, Baguio Judo-Jujitsu Club, NCR Sambo teams from the Progressive

Fighting Alliance, Inc., Machado Brazilian Jujitsu Club, DEFTAC

Brazilian Jujitsu Club and many more.

Tickets are @ P100, I think.

is the bagiuo team the same as the YMCA club there featuring the Diño brothers? better watch out. they'll flip you in the air before you even get a chance to grapple.

hmm..don't know bro, wish i could answer that one.

are they that good?

the best was gerry diño. he was my contemporary but unfortunately, he died a few years ago. consider: consistent gold medalist in the annual national judo comp (PAJA), two-time gold medalist in the SEA games, bronze medalist in the asian compatition and a quarterfinalist in the 1992 olympics.

i've seen several informal bouts between judokas and either ju-jitsu or sambo players. the judoka has simpler moves but very effective. the ju-jitsu/sambo guys clearly have several lethal techniques that they can't employ ina friendly bout. couple this with the fact that, in almost any country, judo has strong roots and the competition pool is much larger than, say ju-jitsu. so judo champions tend to be more inherently talented (having been won from a big pool of contestants), aside from having seen really tough tournaments.

real-life fights are completely different though.

real-life fights are completely different though.

true...

studied taekwondo when i was younger (almost made it to black, kaso lang nawalan ng oras para magpractice) but i never believed that it could be used in a real fight...

meron bang may alam kung san puwedeng mag-enrol ng jeetkundo? parang trip ko kasi matutunan, di ko lang lam kung saan puwede... parang gusto ko kasi isabay sa arnis,kali o kaya ano pang filipino martial art na maisipan kong matutunan...

what about kendo?

may school ba dito for kendo?

i think that would be a good sport for me

as far as i know there is only one kendo group here and i think they practice at the rfm gym in pioneer st., mandaluyong every saturday. :unsure: