Dc And Marvel Universe

Guest Leviticus

curious ako sa marvel universe..

between the contemporary marvel characters versus their ULTIMATE counterpart, sino mananalo?

start it off with iron man versus ultimate iron man

I think mananalo si iron man kaysa kay ultimate iron man.

masmaraming features ang armor nya as compared to UIM

But if it is Dr Doom vs UDD...UDD will win hands down :D

between the contemporary marvel characters versus their ULTIMATE counterpart, sino mananalo?

But if it is Dr Doom vs UDD...UDD will win hands down :D

Agree.. Iba yung Dr. Doom sa Ultimates.. Parang mas powerful and ruthless..

Also, IMO, the Ultimate Captain America is much more on the wild side than the real Cap.. So, for me, Ultimate Cap would beat the living daylights out of the regular Captain America.. :upside:

hulk's beating the crap out of everyone in wwh... :thumbsupsmiley:

haha

what would you expect from a very angry Hulk?

The Gamma Corps looks promising but I doubt they could even scratch the Green Scar.

Anyhoo, I re-read the whole Onslaught saga and it brought back memories. haha

After the whole read, (ok,actually, am not finished yet...haha...I've only finished Impact 1), I saw something funny. When Onslaught, disguised as young Charles Xavier was luring in Franklin Richards, he gave him some cards...one of em had Superman's symbol! hahaha

Share ko lang.

back to the present. Well, that Ghost Rider tie-in was a bit disappointing. And I was right afterall with my guess to Prof X's answer...although, yeah, my first answer was wrong.

The Avengers tie-in looks interesting. Another young superhero ruins it all for mankind.lol

seriously though, I

doubt if it would've made a difference if that capsule Stark injected wasn't a blank.

Ok, hopefully there would be no delays for next month's issues.

:thumbsupsmiley:

Dr. Strange, your time's up!!! haha

There are stashes of old comics in FILBARs Riverbanks, Marikina.. Been looking at them for some time now.. But my curiosity grew when I researched on some of the titles/issues that I have seen there.. There are a lot of Weird War/Weird Western/Horror Titles there.. late 70's ang karamihan.. And I learned from a friend that there were a number of Pinoy artists that drew comics for DC/Marvel/etc. in the Horror, War and Western line..

Mr. Redondo is a known comic book artist then.. I saw the same House of Secrets #140 (origin of the Patchwork Man) in Comic Odyssey.. Better condition than what I have.. They are selling it at P800 bucks.. :thumbsupsmiley

Other Filipino artists in the Bronze Age of Comics were: Alfredo Alcala, Fred Carillo, Alex Niño, and Gerry Talaoc..

You're really a well of knowledge bro, it would be really a treat to go to Riverbanks. Have to do it sometime w/my ex-officemate cause he's from marikina and I don't know the place.

As for the artists you mentioned I'm really overwhelmed bec the first Filipino artist that comes to my mind who worked for the big two is Whilce Portacio. By the way Alfredo Alcala brings back memories of one of my fave artist: Larry Alcala. Damn, I miss his work, walang binatbat si Waldo.

You're really a well of knowledge bro, it would be really a treat to go to Riverbanks. Have to do it sometime w/my ex-officemate cause he's from marikina and I don't know the place.

As for the artists you mentioned I'm really overwhelmed bec the first Filipino artist that comes to my mind who worked for the big two is Whilce Portacio. By the way Alfredo Alcala brings back memories of one of my fave artist: Larry Alcala. Damn, I miss his work, walang binatbat si Waldo.

Thanks for the compliment, bro.. Its nice to find old comic books.. The older the better, for me.. I like to own a Golden Age comic book from Marvel or DC (kahit isa lang).. The oldest I have is Tales of Suspense #99 - featuring Capt America and Iron Man (1968), before the series became Captain America #100.. Its valued at $105 if in Mint condition.. But mine is just in Fine condition.. Bought it for P250 yata before (mga late 90s ko nabili yata ito eh).. :P

Whenever I go to Comic Odyssey in Galleria I just can't keep my eyes off of those old comic books (mostly silver and bronze age comics) they have on display.. I might buy some if ever my budget allows.. Medyo mahal eh..

Re: Whilce.. Whilce is the most well-known Pinoy artist and I do think he will always be.. When the comic industry had its boom in the late 90's, Whilce's talent pushed him to be synonymous to the likes of Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane and company..

Redondo and company, on the other hand, never reached the acclaim that Whilce has because the comic industry at that time was not too good.. Sad to say, although talented, its not talent why Redondo and the other Pinoy artists came on board for DC (or Marvel), its because Pinoy artists (and other artists from other 3rd world countries) are considerably cheaper than their American/European counterparts..

Still, the talent of Redondo made his name known (at that time) with the hardcore fanatics of the Horror comic genre.. It would always be nice to look at the work of Pinoy artists who penetrated the American comic book industry then.. ^_^

Edited by revi
It might've made a difference because it's the same thing that put She-Hulk down.

Remember, Hulk is a LOT stronger than She-Hulk. Remember how he crushed She-Hulk in WWH2? haha

So,yeah,even if it's the same material used to depower She-Hulk, I still doubt it would've made a difference...and if it did? well, it would only probably stop Hulk for a very,very short while.

Thanks for the compliment, bro.. Its nice to find old comic books.. The older the better, for me.. I like to own a Golden Age comic book from Marvel or DC (kahit isa lang).. The oldest I have is Tales of Suspense #99 - featuring Capt America and Iron Man (1968), before the series became Captain America #100.. Its valued at $105 if in Mint condition.. But mine is just in Fine condition.. Bought it for P250 yata before (mga late 90s ko nabili yata ito eh).. :P

Just a follow-up.. Here is a picture of the two oldest comicbooks that are in my possession..

Tales of Suspense #99 - see details above and Witching Hour #2 (1969).. :thumbsupsmiley:

post-75683-1185277226.jpg

I agree. Nano tech na yun armor ni Tony sa Earth 616, eh... sa ultimate it's still a plain armor.

Pero Ultimate Cap vs. Earth-616 cap... I'd go for the badass Ultimate Cap. heh heh... He can hold his own against Giant man and win.

Redondo and company, on the other hand, never reached the acclaim that Whilce has because the comic industry at that time was not too good.. Sad to say, although talented, its not talent why Redondo and the other Pinoy artists came on board for DC (or Marvel), its because Pinoy artists (and other artists from other 3rd world countries) are considerably cheaper than their American/European counterparts..

Still, the talent of Redondo made his name known (at that time) with the hardcore fanatics of the Horror comic genre.. It would always be nice to look at the work of Pinoy artists who penetrated the American comic book industry then.. ^_^

Aaah...it's surprising to know that the great Filipino comic book artists aren't completely forgotten! Nestor Redondo, Alfredo Alcala, Alex Nino...these were true masters! Imagine, while most current comic artists struggle with 3 or 4 pencilled pages a day, Redondo and Alcala could churn out 9 to 12 inked pages in their prime!

A friend lent me an issue of this magazine about comic artists, and the particular feature for that month was about the first wave of Filipino talent in American comics. Just to share, it was through the efforts of DC Comic's then EIC and Filipino penciller Tony de Zuniga that lead to the hiring of Alcala and the rest of the Filipino comic artists. I think they were initially assigned to the horror and cowboy western titles of DC, but were soon able to share their magic with the mainstream DC and Marvel Titles (Swamp Thing, Capt. Marvel, X-men, Thor, Batman, Superman, etc.).

While Whilce is a well-known penciller, I really think his time has come and gone. The relaunched Wetworks wasn't well received, and he's been taken off pencilling duties for the series he helped create and relaunch. Personally, I think he really needs to evolve his style. While his work is detailed, his shading is a bit too dirty...and his characters all feel too stiff. Here's hoping he can change his style so that it doesn't stay in the 90's.

If there's a Filpino superstar in the US comic industry, it has got to be Leinil Yu (one of Whilce's proteges, currently under an exclusive contract with Marvel, now working on New Avengers). Just to share---some of the other filipino comic artists who made waves in recent years are Lan Medina, Wilson Tortosa, and Roy Allan Martinez.

While Whilce is a well-known penciller, I really think his time has come and gone. The relaunched Wetworks wasn't well received, and he's been taken off pencilling duties for the series he helped create and relaunch. Personally, I think he really needs to evolve his style. While his work is detailed, his shading is a bit too dirty...and his characters all feel too stiff. Here's hoping he can change his style so that it doesn't stay in the 90's.

I agree. I've never really liked Whilce's pencils so much. He's a good artist, but I find his style too repetitive. He can't convey human facial expressions through his drawing as effective as other artists. I also notice that Whilce has problems drawing the hands. He'd always draw them out of proportion in relation to the body or that they're in a very generic pose (either the index finger or baby finger are extended or both).

^^ Have to agree, Whilce's current titles, i.e., Batman Confidential and Wetworks do not have the fan-base that his titles once had like his first years drawing the the Uncanny XMen, Punisher War Journal and when he first developed Wetworks..

"Stone" (if you still remember) was another character he made.. But I think Stone only sold well in the Philippines because FILBARS was marketing it at that time.. The comic book store even had a small launch in Galleria, where Wolfgang played several songs then Whilce and Alanguilan signed comics for fans.. Sadly, Stone never gained the success of what Wetworks had..

Edited by revi
^^ Have to agree, Whilce's current titles, i.e., Batman Confidential and Wetworks do not have the fan-base that he once had compared to his first years drawing the the Uncanny XMen, Punisher War Journal and when he first developed Wetworks..

"Stone" (if you still remember) was another character he made.. But I think Stone only sold well in the Philippines because FILBARS was marketing it at that time.. The comic book store even had a small launch in Galleria, where Wolfgang played several songs then Whilce and Alanguilan signed comics for fans.. Sadly, Stone never gained the success of what Wetworks had..

Stone, Stone...

Use the powers of the Stone...

Heck, I can still recall some of the lyrics. Stone is so big here that a song was made for it.

I remember the Iron Man re-launch set in the Heroes Reborn universe where Whilce inserted Rivermaya (less Perf De Castro) members in the background let alone Bamboo playing as a henchmen, I think he was also the artist of Rivermaya's 2nd album back then. For me, a weak point in his art is the eyes. Characters become "racoons" most of the time. I don't doubt an artist's capabilites because they can adapt very well and change style from time to time. Lan Medina comes into mind although his style never changed. It's as if his previous works locally were just drafts (beautiful drafts mind you) and when he made it internationally the art became "serious". I remember when I was young I was thinking that Medina would be big someday. As in he'll have an international exposure as well as Clem Rivera (I wonder what happened to the guy).

I miss those local comics, especially Funny Komiks because I learned how to read through them. Medina reminds me of his run in Devil Car in Holiday from Atlas.

Thanks for the compliment, bro.. Its nice to find old comic books.. The older the better, for me.. I like to own a Golden Age comic book from Marvel or DC (kahit isa lang).. The oldest I have is Tales of Suspense #99 - featuring Capt America and Iron Man (1968), before the series became Captain America #100.. Its valued at $105 if in Mint condition.. But mine is just in Fine condition.. Bought it for P250 yata before (mga late 90s ko nabili yata ito eh)..

Have you thought of having them slabbed? I always see those type of old comic books when I was still in elementary on Booksale wish I bought those...

Just to share, it was through the efforts of DC Comic's then EIC and Filipino penciller Tony de Zuniga that lead to the hiring of Alcala and the rest of the Filipino comic artists.

An editor??? Wow! Didn't know we had one. With Filipino artists having international recognition I won't be surprised if a Filipino writer would make it big too.

Remember, Hulk is a LOT stronger than She-Hulk. Remember how he crushed She-Hulk in WWH2? haha

So,yeah,even if it's the same material used to depower She-Hulk, I still doubt it would've made a difference...and if it did? well, it would only probably stop Hulk for a very,very short while.

Well, Hulk is really far stronger than his cousin. No doubt. I haven't been reading WWH but I'm sure the S.P.I.N. dart would've made a difference one way or another.

Stone, Stone...

Use the powers of the Stone...

Heck, I can still recall some of the lyrics. Stone is so big here that a song was made for it.

haha.. So you do remember "Stone.." I had my copy signed by Whilce and Alanguilan.. Its funny looking back, but I also bought the Variant version (I still have them).. Was so high on Whilce at that time.. Now, I did not even bother buying his new Wetworks and even Batman: Confidential.. :lol:

Have you thought of having them slabbed? I always see those type of old comic books when I was still in elementary on Booksale wish I bought those...

When I was in Elementary and in mid-High School, I never thought that comic books would have a price guide.. haha.. I remember going to National Bookstore (EDSA Central) and some of the defunct Alemar's stores in Cubao and find old comicbooks..

But I did not buy the expensive ones, I bought yung mga tig-2-2 pesos.. Whatta waste.. I bought the local versions of HotStuff, and some Looney Tunes characters.. Di ko mabili yung mga tig-10 bucks.. Sayang!!! If I could only turn back the hands of time.. Heh!!!

Was able to buy the first appearance of Rogue.. Avengers Annual #10 for 10 bucks in NBS before.. Back issue sale daw.. I was in High School at that time.. Did not have enough money that time to buy some of the Watchmen titles.. Looking back, mapapamura ka talaga.. Yung ka-school-bus-mate ko puros Booster Gold ang binili.. Pangit daw Watchmen.. Haaay!!!

I don't think that I would have my old copies slabbed, bro.. I would still want to open them from time to time.. But who knows, if money permits....

Sir Revi ang tindi na ng collection mo po.

Mybe you have a room for your collections. Those comics would be more expensive as time go by.

Thanks.. But mas madami pang mas magandang collection keysa sa akin.. :P For crying out loud, I don't have the Amazing Spiderman #300.. Laki ng pagsisisi ko na hindi ako nakakuha nito, being a Spiderman fan since gradeschool.. tsk tsk..

My comics are all in boxes, dude.. Its in my office sa bahay para accessible kapag gusto kong magbasa-basa (actually, kasama sa opisina ang NBA card collection ko din).. Naka-arrange by series.. or storyline..

Become more expensive? I certainly hope so.. Para mas-feel ang pangongolekta at pagbabasa.. :D

--------------

I wonder whose body Spiderman is looking at in the morgue in the next issue of the Amazing SpiderMan.. Who died? Everything points to Aunt May.. Naaaah.. Would Marvel take a chance of killing May Parker (again-hahaha!)?

Edited by revi
Are there any Batman Beyond comics?

If there is, which Batman Story is he related? Which DC universe?

Correct me if I am wrong, guys, I think right now there are no Batman Beyond comicbooks that are on-going.. I think it was in the late 90's (99-2000) when there was a comic book series for Batman Beyond.. First it was a six part mini-series then it became an on-going series.. Reached 24 issues before folding up..

The Batman Beyond storyline is conceptualized in the future.. Bruce Wayne is not Batman but its Terry McGinnis.. But Bruce Wayne was still a main character of the series..

If you ask me, dude, I think I would put Batman Beyond in the Elseworlds Universe category.. Or maybe, in the Batman Year 100, etc comicbooks which are situated in the future.. much like the "The End" lines of Marvel..

An editor??? Wow! Didn't know we had one. With Filipino artists having international recognition I won't be surprised if a Filipino writer would make it big too.

Sorry, I phrased my sentence wrong, what I meant to say was that the DC EIC (Infantino) and a Filpino Penciller (de Zuniga) were the ones who went to the RP looking for talent. I didn't mean my post to read that the EIC was also de Zuniga. It's interesting to note that de Zuniga always held artists like Redondo and Alcala as his major influences when he was still starting out in comics, only to come back years alter to offer them jobs pencilling for an International title!

Correct me if I am wrong, guys, I think right now there are no Batman Beyond comicbooks that are on-going.. I think it was in the late 90's (99-2000) when there was a comic book series for Batman Beyond.. First it was a six part mini-series then it became an on-going series.. Reached 24 issues before folding up..

The Batman Beyond storyline is conceptualized in the future.. Bruce Wayne is not Batman but its Terry McGinnis.. But Bruce Wayne was still a main character of the series..

If you ask me, dude, I think I would put Batman Beyond in the Elseworlds Universe category.. Or maybe, in the Batman Year 100, etc comicbooks which are situated in the future.. much like the "The End" lines of Marvel..

Else word? Its really hard to track it down. Before I really thought that Batman stories were Vertical or Chronological.

Do you watch the "The Batman" series? The latest one. It is more of the "Caped Crusader" story. Is it also based on the comic books?

I really prefer the "Batman Animated" where in it has more resemblance in the comic books. Batman was more of the "Dark Knight."

Batman Beyond is not part of the Elseworlds Universe. It's part of the DCAU (DC Animated Universe) continuity. Terry McGinnis is Batman's boy. well... clone technically speaking. Pity Terry didn't inherit the brains of Bruce.

Else word? Its really hard to track it down. Before I really thought that Batman stories were Vertical or Chronological.

Do you watch the "The Batman" series? The latest one. It is more of the "Caped Crusader" story. Is it also based on the comic books?

I really prefer the "Batman Animated" where in it has more resemblance in the comic books. Batman was more of the "Dark Knight."

The latest "The Batman" animated series has a continuity of it's own. It's considered separate from Paul Dini's DC Animated Universe continuity and it's not really part of the comics continuity either. They revived this series mainly because of the Batman film franchise reboot.

I don't advise trying to work out which animated story fits in to which comics as they only usually considered the comics series part of comic continuity unless otherwise stated. Ganun yung DC e. malabo ang continuity. That's why they have to have a Crisis event every year to sort out continuity issues. (and as Infinite Crisis demonstrates, they suck at fixing continuities. probably mostly because DC is a big company full of comic fan boys who don't know when to let go of the past. Weakness ng DC has always been the fear to move out of the shadow of it's major characters to shake up the DC Universe.)

Ganun yung DC e. malabo ang continuity. That's why they have to have a Crisis event every year to sort out continuity issues. (and as Infinite Crisis demonstrates, they suck at fixing continuities. probably mostly because DC is a big company full of comic fan boys who don't know when to let go of the past. Weakness ng DC has always been the fear to move out of the shadow of it's major characters to shake up the DC Universe.)

That is the reason, I never became a huge fan of DC Comics.. Although, I do collect some DC titles, as well, Marvel will always be my first love.. It looks like after "Countdown" another Crisis is brewing for the DC Universe.. Pathetic.. but because I am a comic fan boy (as you say), I might still get the 3rd Crisis.. haha.. :lol:

Edited by revi